PDA

View Full Version : Mental strength after the first snap is where we lost

Apollo
02-03-2014, 06:17 AM
I think if it wasn't for that first botched snap for a safety the game could have been very different. I also think if our players had the mental strength and constitution to put that behind them, then the game could have been very different. I think psychology and mental strength makes up 50% of life, and therefore 50% of sports, maybe even more. What happened to the Broncos was the equivalent of going for a dream job interview and tripping on your way into the office and landing face first in front of your potential employer. After that happens you immediately think, 'This isn't going to be my day'. It's the same as going to dinner first time with the most beautiful woman you've ever seen, and moments after sitting down at the table, you knock your glass of red wine over your beige pants (No this hasn't happened to me :D) . In such a situation you think, 'How am I going to recover this?', 'This is an awful start, what am I going to do?' and so forth. Your mindset is immediately focused on the most negative.

I think you could see that in this in the game. After that botched snap our players looked deflated, as if they'd just lost the game in OT to a field goal. And on the reverse, the Seahawks players celebrated that snap as if they'd already won. Mentally our players had it in their heads that the gods were against them after that moment, and I think it's what cost them. I don't believe for a second the Seahawks are a better team, I think we have just as much talent as them, but the team we saw last night was not the team of the regular season. It was a time who let a blip and the occasion catch-up with them. They conduct themselves like winners, you could see that in their body language', they conducted themselves as a team that knew they were going to get beat.

If we'd scored a TD on our first drive, held Seattle to a 3 and out, and then had that botched snap for a safety happened on the drive after, I really don't think the game would be such a blowout. We'd have the confidence of a score behind us, and know we have the ability to keep going.

In short, the players are mentally weak.

Just my opinion.

OrangeFanatic
02-03-2014, 07:11 AM
We lost two years ago when we signed post season choke artist Peyton Manning. At least Phillip Rivers usually does it in the regular season so they can still get decent draft picks and no sense of false hope.

Robert3750
02-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I think if it wasn't for that first botched snap for a safety the game could have been very different. I also think if our players had the mental strength and constitution to put that behind them, then the game could have been very different. I think psychology and mental strength makes up 50% of life, and therefore 50% of sports, maybe even more. What happened to the Broncos was the equivalent of going for a dream job interview and tripping on your way into the office and landing face first in front of your potential employer. After that happens you immediately think, 'This isn't going to be my day'. It's the same as going to dinner first time with the most beautiful woman you've ever seen, and moments after sitting down at the table, you knock your glass of red wine over your beige pants (No this hasn't happened to me :D) . In such a situation you think, 'How am I going to recover this?', 'This is an awful start, what am I going to do?' and so forth. Your mindset is immediately focused on the most negative.

I think you could see that in this in the game. After that botched snap our players looked deflated, as if they'd just lost the game in OT to a field goal. And on the reverse, the Seahawks players celebrated that snap as if they'd already won. Mentally our players had it in their heads that the gods were against them after that moment, and I think it's what cost them. I don't believe for a second the Seahawks are a better team, I think we have just as much talent as them, but the team we saw last night was not the team of the regular season. It was a time who let a blip and the occasion catch-up with them. They conduct themselves like winners, you could see that in their body language', they conducted themselves as a team that knew they were going to get beat.

If we'd scored a TD on our first drive, held Seattle to a 3 and out, and then had that botched snap for a safety happened on the drive after, I really don't think the game would be such a blowout. We'd have the confidence of a score behind us, and know we have the ability to keep going.

In short, the players are mentally weak.

Just my opinion.Have to agree that the loss was mostly psychological.

Dzone
02-03-2014, 10:13 AM
That safety to start the game definitely deflated them and they never recovered

MasterShake
02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
To be honest after the field goal that 5 point lead felt like 20 to me the way both teams were playing.

BigDaddyBronco
02-03-2014, 11:30 AM
What was crazy about that safety play was how shocked the team looked that the crowd noise forced them out of their normal communication mode. That showed me that they were unprepared. I think Manning was ready, but the OLine was not ready at all. Getting their ass handed to them will make them better in the long run, but it sure sucked last night.

NightTerror218
02-03-2014, 11:43 AM
That was the play that swung the momentum and then Seattle going 6 for 6 on third down a capped it off even if a field goal. Defense could not get off field even with all the opportunities.

BORDERLINE
02-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I don't get why the 1st play was not scripted at least to get our feet wet. But it happend and we never got back on our feet