PDA

View Full Version : The official "defense wins championships" thread.

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 12:16 AM
You cant debate this anymore, you just can't. This game should be an eye opener to anyone who was on the fence on this matter.

Our so called record breaking offense, you know, the one that no one in history has ever seen? They looked like a non factor.

Seattle, Balt, Steelers, Tampa, Pats...even the defenses we had in the 90s. Thats what it takes. We MUST get better on defense this offseason. If not then we might as well just play Brock and move on.

I am ok with Harris and DRC but our safeties suck!! Our LBs looked completely lost tonight as well. I know losing Miller and Harris was going to hurt on that side of the ball but I never dreamed it would hurt that bad, especially with the offense we have.

We need a true MLB. Keep Trevathan and Miller at Weak and Strongside but we need a monster in the middle. Cam Chancelor and Earl Thomas are the real deal at safety...those guys didnt give an inch. That should be the mold for shutting teams down.

Coaching is also now a concern. Del Rio has been Jeckle and Hyde way too many times. Not sure he knows how to bring out the best in our guys...It would be no love lost if he moved on. In fact if Oakland fires Allen next year then id like to see him back. If Del Rio doesnt get it done by next year then he can move on.

I dont think this team was prepared for this level of football right now. This might be the most embarrassing of a defeat ive ever seen from the Broncos.

Basically our defense needs to get nastier or we are just going to be an average team.

Side Note: Also think orange jerseys are great in regular season but we have lost in the SB too many times wearing them.

aberdien
02-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Defense helps win championships, just like a bunch of other factors. Our defense played well enough (in the first half at least) to win that game. The offense didn't. They were unprepared and did not look tough at all. Defense can't do everything, you need help from your offense too.

Shazam!
02-03-2014, 12:25 AM
The 90s Broncos teams had probably the most underrated defenses ever of a Super Bowl champion, stats don't mean everything.

701Bronco
02-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Play Brock and move on. Peyton has no heart. Focus on defense. Get a young QB with legs and miracle plays he pulls out of his ass.

701Bronco
02-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Ugh, I'm drunk, somebody talk me off this ledge

Shazam!
02-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Brock? Maybe I should push you!

No QB coulda done better under that kind of pressure.

Jsteve01
02-03-2014, 12:36 AM
um we were missing our two starters on our defensive line, a healthy Wood, Von Miller, Chris Harris and Rahim Moore. I'm not talking trash about this defense. our O line got exposed.

SCBronco
02-03-2014, 12:52 AM
The 90s Broncos teams had probably the most underrated defenses ever of a Super Bowl champion, stats don't mean everything.

They also could run the ball on anyone at any time. Heck Denver was struggling big time tonight just trying to convert 3rd and short.

Dzone
02-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Ugh, I'm drunk, somebody talk me off this ledge
switch to weed and just chill

ShaneFalco
02-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Would be nice next year if,

Manning would take half his salary, allowing for some key defensive players for next year. I hope he does. Its alot to ask of anyone, but if he really wants that ring, it should not be much of an issue, maybe Bowlen could give him some stock/ownership in the team or something.

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Would be nice next year if,

Manning would take half his salary, allowing for some key defensive players for next year. I hope he does. Its alot to ask of anyone, but if he really wants that ring, it should not be much of an issue, maybe Bowlen could give him some stock/ownership in the team or something.

That's a pipe dream but I doubt he would take a cut.

606 record breaking points this year. That was all null and void when we ran into a real defense.

We have to make changes or the Panthers, Niners or Seahawks will win it again next year.

Good defenses have proven time and time again that's what matters when it counts most.

I fully expect us to get nasty on defense. Finesse teams just don't cut it against the elite teams. You can win with a mediocre QB.

wayninja
02-03-2014, 02:27 AM
We only won 15 games this season, WHAAAA! Manning is obviously to blame for that!

Seriously guys... clear your heads before posting. Brock Osweiler? Really?

Seriously, if that's the answer, I'm advocating for picking Tebow back up.

Robert3750
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
It's absurd to characterize this as a "Manning loss". This was a TEAM loss.

VonDoom
02-03-2014, 10:33 AM
There's been a lot of talk about our linebackers after that game. Miller should be good to go next year, and Trevathan is good, but we definitely need a MLB (you know, like every year). A big, mean safety would be nice, too. Moore will be back but we need someone who can hit. Watching Thomas and Chancellor do their thing against us was eye opening. Absolutely the blueprint any team should use on the defensive side in this day and age.

CoachChaz
02-03-2014, 10:35 AM
There's been a lot of talk about our linebackers after that game. Miller should be good to go next year, and Trevathan is good, but we definitely need a MLB (you know, like every year). A big, mean safety would be nice, too. Moore will be back but we need someone who can hit. Watching Thomas and Chancellor do their thing against us was eye opening. Absolutely the blueprint any team should use on the defensive side in this day and age.

We need 2 safeties. Who knows if Moore will be back and if so...what's he going to look like. Combine that with the fact that Ihenacho is just plain terrible. I'm looking at the draft and Calvin Pryor looks like a nice addition to our secondary.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 11:00 AM
We need 2 safeties. Who knows if Moore will be back and if so...what's he going to look like. Combine that with the fact that Ihenacho is just plain terrible. I'm looking at the draft and Calvin Pryor looks like a nice addition to our secondary.

Chaz, Denver is looking in bad shape this off-season, they're going to have some deep holes, seven starters are going to be free agents and Manning will be due I believe 40 million which will cause some issues, especially having limited draft picks. When you consider that Denver needs a center (obviously) and likely a left guard, a couple defensive ends, middle linebacker and almost an entirely new defensive backfield? Not to mention that their number two receiver and top running back of the season are both slated for free agency?

As to the thread... Yes, defense wins championships, but offense leads to the playoffs - can't have one without the other, few teams have won the title without franchise quarterbacks and a capable offense, it's rare for a defense to be so good that they control the tide sort-to-speak and force the game to go as they want. Had Denver played any other team, including San Francisco, I believe the outcome would have been different. Defenses like Seattle's are rare, hence the names such as the Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Orange Crush and yes, the Legion of Boom. Denver was defeated from the start but despite that their defense didn't give up like the offense did, the Broncos' offense was ill prepared and mentally were not tough enough and lacked heart, and this was a dog fight from the whistle. Despite no Miller, Harris, Moore, Big Vickerson, etc. the defense only allowed Seattle to score 13 points in the first half when usually the Broncos are already up by three scores.

The coaches, John Fox included are to blame. This team was not prepared mentally and it showed.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-03-2014, 11:41 AM

I thought Irvin looked good last night. I wonder if the team will look at putting him in the middle next year. If they don't want to go that route they're going to have draft one fairly high.

CoachChaz
02-03-2014, 11:55 AM
I thought Irvin looked good last night. I wonder if the team will look at putting him in the middle next year. If they don't want to go that route they're going to have draft one fairly high.

If we had DE's that could create a solid pass rush, I'd be fine with Irving at the SAM. We seem to be a much better run defense when he is in there, but that means not playing Von. I dont know if Irving can be a Mike or not...but he wasnt exactly given any time there this season. Probably a reason for that

CoachChaz
02-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Chaz, Denver is looking in bad shape this off-season, they're going to have some deep holes, seven starters are going to be free agents and Manning will be due I believe 40 million which will cause some issues, especially having limited draft picks. When you consider that Denver needs a center (obviously) and likely a left guard, a couple defensive ends, middle linebacker and almost an entirely new defensive backfield? Not to mention that their number two receiver and top running back of the season are both slated for free agency?

You cant replace everyone the way you prefer to, so you have to prioritize. Manny may not be the first choice at center, but he's at least serviceable and therefore I dont see replacing him as a top priority. Ball replaces Moreno and then you need to find a LG and a WR.

Our problems are defensively. But maybe that's a good thing. Since our defense seemed to be our problem this year, an overhaul is in need.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 12:01 PM

Part of the reason this is going to be a harsh off-season for the Broncos is that they are going to need solid starter material at various key positions and have little room to move. Denver could go cornerback, defensive end, inside linebacker or safety with their first pick in the draft and not really go wrong. Not to mention that they have or will likely have a need at center and at left guard.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 12:17 PM
You cant replace everyone the way you prefer to, so you have to prioritize. Manny may not be the first choice at center, but he's at least serviceable and therefore I dont see replacing him as a top priority. Ball replaces Moreno and then you need to find a LG and a WR.

Our problems are defensively. But maybe that's a good thing. Since our defense seemed to be our problem this year, an overhaul is in need.

After the snafu in the Super Bowl you really think the Broncos are going to retain him as center? He may be serviceable but Denver is not going to allow chumps to protect their 40 million dollar quarterback.

And the defense will be slightly overhauled, Von Miller will return with Trevathan on the other side, Big Vick, Pot Roast, Williams and Unrien are likely to be retained in the middle. Inside linebacker is a need, Denver will have to focus on defensive end without question as well as the defensive backfield. I know that people contemplate the 4-3, 3-4 base defenses, but Denver may be better suited to switch to a 3-4 at this time, especially with the number of 4-3 defenses compared to 3-4 and their personnel might be a better fit to boot.

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 12:28 PM
After seeing what I saw last night I dont want our safeties. I dont friggin want them on the team.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 12:42 PM
After seeing what I saw last night I dont want our safeties. I dont friggin want them on the team.

I don't blame you one bit DB, but for a good portion of the season Ihenacho was playing stellar and Adams, well he is a free agent after the season and Moore only has one more season on his rookie contract. The safety position is of concern, but the blame for this loss belongs mostly to the coaching staff as I said before, which includes John Fox. Elway spared no expense to improve the defense and what he got was having a top ten defense falling to the bottom of the league in all categories besides stopping the run. Other then Rodgers-Cromartie the defensive backs looked lost at times and all of them play to stop the big play instead of playing the ball to create turnovers like the Seahawks and other top defenses do. This loss left a bad taste in my mouth, especially in regards to our coaching staff, well all but Gase. I wouldn't have been so soured if the Broncos would have played their ***es off and lost by a score, but that team last night was defeated from the start.

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 01:50 PM
If we had this and if we had that. Blah blah blah.

I think there are 20 or so teams that would have prepared and certainly performed better.

We chose THE WORSE game to play like this.

The coach's didn't do their job preparing this team.

Really mad at Del Rio right now. Fired comes to mind.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Funny that you say that DB, Slim and I were just talking about coaching changes in another thread...neither of us would be surprised if there were some changes made to the coaching staff in the next week or two.

echobravo
02-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Defense and a RUNNING game win championships. Our o line is not suited to running the ball as currently constituted. Denver used to be known for a strong D. In the late 90s we were known for running. I am getting sick of looking like the only team in the league that needs a herculean effort by the running back to pick up four bleeding yards!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
If we had DE's that could create a solid pass rush, I'd be fine with Irving at the SAM. We seem to be a much better run defense when he is in there, but that means not playing Von. I dont know if Irving can be a Mike or not...but he wasnt exactly given any time there this season. Probably a reason for that

My line of thinking was with Von in the lineup. They actually had Irving at Mike to start TC, and then when they suspected Von was going to miss significant time they moved him to SAM.

CrazyHorse
02-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Nearly half our starters on defense were on injured reserve. I'd like to think if that wasn't the case the game would have been a bit more competitive.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Nearly half our starters on defense were on injured reserve. I'd like to think if that wasn't the case the game would have been a bit more competitive.

The defense struggled with them as much as they did without them, it's hard to think that is such a big reason that we got whipped so badly.

aberdien
02-03-2014, 10:17 PM
I don't understand why y'all are blaming the defense so heavily when the offense were the ones that took the night off. The defense did as well as they could until the game got out of hand. And of course the defense needs some work particularly in the defensive backfield, but of all coaches why would you fire Del Rio when the defense actually showed up for the game and played fairly well (in the playoffs especially)?

DenBronx
02-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Funny that you say that DB, Slim and I were just talking about coaching changes in another thread...neither of us would be surprised if there were some changes made to the coaching staff in the next week or two.

I wouldnt be suprised to see something shaken up on the defense side. I know our O sucked as well last night but I like to look at the whole body of work. The O didnt struggle until this last game, the defense on the other hand struggled all year with the exception of a few games. We just outscored so many teams that it lightened the load on the D.

43-8 isnt exactlly the most proud way to go out. I would cherry pick some of the coaches from Seattle or San Fran, maybe players too.