PDA

View Full Version : Injured Broncos disappointed to be left behind

Denver Native (Carol)
02-01-2014, 03:58 PM
NEW YORK — Five players who combined for 2,545 defensive snaps this season have been conspicuously absent from most of the Denver Broncos' activities leading up to Sunday's Super Bowl.

They are some of the Broncos' biggest defensive names — defensive end Von Miller (nine starts), cornerback Chris Harris (16 starts, including one postseason game), defensive linemen Derek Wolfe and Kevin Vickerson (11 starts each) and safety Rahim Moore (10 starts) — and they are on the injured list and were told they couldn't travel with their teammates to New Jersey. Instead, they flew to the New York area Thursday, arriving in the evening along with the Broncos' family contingent of spouses and children.

wo people with knowledge of the injured players' situation told USA TODAY Sports the players were disappointed to be left behind, to be unable to participate in events such as media day, game-plan meetings and the official Super Bowl team picture. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the situation.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2014/01/31/von-miller-ryan-clady-chris-harris-injured-reserve/5086923/

Denver Native (Carol)
02-01-2014, 03:59 PM
from same article:

Denver Broncos coach John Fox said the decision was made to leave the injured players in Denver so the team could better focus the players who would be playing on Sunday.

"When you're a decision maker, you have to draw the line. And in my experience in being in that role for some time now is that depending on where you are on that line, you're not going to please everybody," Fox said.

AND

The most high-profile player on the Seattle Seahawks' injured reserve list is wide receiver Sidney Rice, who tore his ACL in late October. Rice has been with the team all week, Seahawks spokesman Dave Pearson said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2014/01/31/von-miller-ryan-clady-chris-harris-injured-reserve/5086923/

Dzone
02-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Probably might have been better to have those guys there, but understand fox wanting only active players involved in the prep

slim
02-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Seems pretty weak to me. I don't like it.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Seems pretty weak to me. I don't like it.

I don't like it either

slim
02-01-2014, 04:51 PM
I don't like it either

I expect more from a first class organization like the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Vic did speak with Chris Harris last night:

Injured Chris Harris Deserves A Lot Of Credit

http://denver.cbslocal.com/category/sports/

Angel
02-01-2014, 05:16 PM
That's not right, I guess money talks and **** walks.

Joel
02-01-2014, 05:17 PM
It would've been more of an inspiration and motivation to go out and win a Ring for the guys who left it all out on the field throughout the season, sweating and bleeding to bring home a Super Bowl. And, rare as Super Bowls are, this may be their only chance to attend as a member of one of the teams. I realize I'm not privy to everything Fox is, but fail to see how bringing them could've hurt, unless some firey pre-game speech from a fallen player would've somehow weakened us.

For what it's worth, I'll miss each and everyone of them on the field, especially Vickerson, Wolfe and Harris.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-01-2014, 05:17 PM
The SB is a once in a lifetime event. Leaving them behind is petty lame.

CoachChaz
02-01-2014, 05:20 PM
I can understand not including them in the prep and media day...but team picture and team events should be a no brainer. Pretty shitty

LawDog
02-01-2014, 06:25 PM
I see both sides of it and don't really have strong feelings either way. They'll be there for the game and will get a ring.

vettesplus
02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
I see both sides of it and don't really have strong feelings either way. They'll be there for the game and will get a ring.

I agree with lawdog, who gives a fling frick about media day, just give me my ring....

DenBronx
02-01-2014, 06:57 PM
They all still get rings right?

I dont blame Fox for just wanting to concentrate on the guys going. I do feel bad for them but I do understand.

They all flew in though...I bet they get to celebrate after the win with the team. They at least deserve that!

slim
02-01-2014, 07:01 PM
But how could they leave those guys out of the team picture? Not very well thought out.

NightTrainLayne
02-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Are we focusing on winning a game, or are we worried about media day? I think Fox knows what he's doing.

Dapper Dan
02-02-2014, 12:37 AM
I don't think people are advocating the injured players should be limping through practice. We just think they should be able to be able to travel with the team and stand in the freaking picture. What's that going to hurt? How is keeping the guys from being in the team picture "smart"?

sneakers
02-02-2014, 01:12 AM
I expect more from a first class organization like the Broncos.

I think it is a rule. every single year there is a story like this.

that one year the packers went the owl, there was some linebacker for the packers who was on the verge of mutiny because he could fly or be in the team superb owl foto because he was on IR.

Dapper Dan
02-02-2014, 01:16 AM
I think it is a rule. every single year there is a story like this.

that one year the packers went the owl, there was some linebacker for the packers who was on the verge of mutiny because he could fly or be in the team superb owl foto because he was on IR.

Insight. I like it.

Davii
02-02-2014, 05:12 AM
The picture would aggravate me if I were in their shoes.

tomjonesrocks
02-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Hard to understand shutting them out of the picture. Media day I wouldn't want to be at anyway if I were those guys. Who wants to get asked about how much it hurts not being on the field dozens of times?

That said I don't really feel bad for leaving Miller out at all having made so many terrible decisions through the season that let the team down.

Carter I really feel terrible for. Also, did Wolfe really get 11 starts in? Seemed like far fewer--guess that's just perception...

BroncoJoe
02-02-2014, 09:34 AM
I thought I had read/heard somewhere they are there now. As for the picture, whatever. They're in our official team picture from the beginning of the year. They still got their checks, and will still get their rings.

I don't feel real strongly one way or another.

Dean
02-02-2014, 01:00 PM
As a thirty-five plus year coach, most of the distractions over the years have come from players who don't have a horse in the race. Above all else you try to control those factors that you do have control over. For me personally, the picture is of no consequence. It would have been easy for me to have overlooked that it might be important to someone else.

I have no knowledge as to who or why that decision was made but I can understand there are many reasons that it might have been made.