PDA

View Full Version : John Fox sees ample exuberance, few errors as Broncos wrap up practice

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2014, 05:59 PM
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — After putting his team through its final full practice of the season Friday afternoon, Broncos coach John Fox declared his team ready to go for Super Bowl XLVIII.

The Broncos used the indoor field at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center for their one-hour, 25-minute practice after Fox determined that the outdoor synthetic field was too hard.

Yet the regimen came with another twist: Fox used the outdoor field for the 30-minute walk-through before the practice, allowing for more exposure to the type of wintry elements that will be in play on Sunday night at MetLife Stadium.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25037605/john-fox-sees-ample-exuberance-few-errors-broncos

Joel
01-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Fua's Doubtful? I didn't expect him to dominate, but: Do we even HAVE a fourth DT now? Considering half of Seattles whole team is designed around pounding Lynch for 6-9 minute drives to keep their D off the field, and how depleted our fast-but-undersized defense already is, that alarms me. Knighton's awesome, and Williams has been nicely solid (ifunspectacular) for a rookie, but if (or rather, when) those guys need a breather, does this leave us ANYONE to rotate other than Unrein? He didn't wow me when Brady blew by him up the gut for a TD 2 weeks ago.

Beyond that, well, I also didn't expect Fox to come out 2 days before the SB and tell the press (home or other) "We suck, it's hopeless; I really spent all week applying for HS coaching jobs."

CrazyHorse
01-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Fua's Doubtful? I didn't expect him to dominate, but: Do we even HAVE a fourth DT now? Considering half of Seattles whole team is designed around pounding Lynch for 6-9 minute drives to keep their D off the field, and how depleted our fast-but-undersized defense already is, that alarms me. Knighton's awesome, and Williams has been nicely solid (ifunspectacular) for a rookie, but if (or rather, when) those guys need a breather, does this leave us ANYONE to rotate other than Unrein? He didn't wow me when Brady blew by him up the gut for a TD 2 weeks ago.

Beyond that, well, I also didn't expect Fox to come out 2 days before the SB and tell the press (home or other) "We suck, it's hopeless; I really spent all week applying for HS coaching jobs."

Ben Garland is still on the roster isn't he? He was originally a defensive tackle but moved to guard. I wonder if it's possible he could see some snaps on defense.

Joel
01-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Ben Garland is still on the roster isn't he? He was originally a defensive tackle but moved to guard. I wonder if it's possible he could see some snaps on defense.
He's not shown on the roster at the team site: http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster.html

5 DTs, total, one of whom is Vickerson, who's on IR. So we're officially going into a freezing SB against a gound 'n pound team with just 4 DTs, one of whom's apparently Doubtful. Terrific.

Seriously, Fox and Del Rio, what the HELL? Aren't ya'll defensive gurus who both ran 4-3s throughout your coaching careers: HOW CAN YOU ONLY BRING 3 DTS TO THE SB?! So the rotation's:

Knighton and Williams start,
Unrein relieves whichever get tired/hurt first,
The guy who came out relieves the other starter and
The second guy who came out relieves Unrein.

That can't be it; I must believe they're going to stick Jackson in some, and not just in nickel. Otherwise... actually, I have no idea what we could do otherwise. Was there NO ONE who wanted a SB Ring badly enough to sign a one week contract?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-31-2014, 09:54 PM
Malik Jackson play DT if needed.

CrazyHorse
01-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Looks as though Garland is just on the practice squad, not that active roster. If they knew Fua probably couldn't go I'm not sure why they didn't put him on IR and place Garland on the active roster. You're in the Super Bowl so might as well pull out all stops.

Joel
01-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Malik Jackson play DT if needed.
I guess that's the only other real option, huh? Too bad we've ALSO only got 4 DEs on the active roster, so that means Jackson will have a hard time making up for Wolfes absence while he's busy playing DT, and the only one who can spell Phillips and Ayers is Mincey. Everything I've seen on him says he sucks against the run, and we'll have to hope Ayers has a career day as a pass rusher since not nearly as good at that as he is playing the run. And heaven help us if ANYONE gets hurt, because then we have to finish the game with 7 defensive linemen. Outstanding.... :rolleyes:

Looks as though Garland is just on the practice squad, not that active roster. If they knew Fua probably couldn't go I'm not sure why they didn't put him on IR and place Garland on the active roster. You're in the Super Bowl so might as well pull out all stops.
You don't really want me to answer that in the mood I'm now. We'll just have to hope and pray it's good enough; sure is lucky Seattle doesn't have a running game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-31-2014, 10:20 PM
Fretting about things that may never happen is a big waste of time.

Joel
01-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Fretting about things that may never happen is a big waste of time.
Assuming the sun rises Monday, we'll have to rotate our linemen Sunday night; that's not something that MAY happen: It's a certainty. Seattle's gonna ride Lynch like the horse he is, so they won't have many 30 yd plays (at least I hope not; if THAT happens we're probably boned) but WILL have tons of 5 yd plays. Our DTs can't play the whole game, and if we only have 3 we'll NEVER have 2 RESTED ones on the field after the 1st qtr. If Jackson hops into help out, that just means our DEs will be in that situation instead of our DTs, and our best DE will get run ragged.

There was NO way to make room for a FA DT or DE in the last 2 weeks? Like, we couldn't have IRed Kuper or swapped Vallos with one of the DEs (or Garland) on the PS? Heck, Fione was a midseason rental in the first place; if he can't play, was there NO way to release him and sign someone who can?

I REALLY hope there's a lot more going on here than I realize. I would hate to think we're going into a SB with our front four as big a disaster as it currently appears.

BroncoWave
01-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Joel, I think I speak for the entire board when I say chill the **** out and stop worrying about every god damn thing. No amount of worry in the world is going to change anything that will happen on the field, so calm the **** down and just enjoy the fact that we are in the damn Super Bowl.

CrazyHorse
01-31-2014, 11:35 PM
Is the team still able to make roster moves up until Sunday?

Hawgdriver
01-31-2014, 11:52 PM
:haha:

Such camaraderie might also explain the diversion that came during the walk-through, when a small aircraft flew over the field with a message banner that read: "MEET BRONCOS AARON BREWER TONITE AT TIME SQUARE" (sic)

Brewer is Denver's low-profiled, second-year long-snapper.