PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning: Champ Bailey will quit before switching to safety

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2014, 05:34 PM
JERSEY CITY — Cool it with any speculation that someday, perhaps even soon, Champ Bailey might switch from cornerback to safety, a move other aging defensive backs have made later in their career.

"He'll stop playing when he can't be a cornerback anymore," said Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, whose ties to Bailey date back to their college days as SEC rivals in the 1990s.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2014/01/30/peyton-manning-champ-bailey/5061605/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

weazel
01-30-2014, 06:07 PM
that's too bad for him, it's going to shorten his career by a lot. I don't see him playing in Denver next year.

Broncolingus
01-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Much as I love Champ, he prob needs to hang it up after this game regardless...

...he has, however, played solid during the playoffs.

Let's just win this sucker and send him off into the sunset like we did Mr. Elway...

Northman
01-30-2014, 07:12 PM
that's too bad for him, it's going to shorten his career by a lot. I don't see him playing in Denver next year.

Me either honestly, at least not as a #1 or #2 DB. Maybe nickel but with his salary i cant see them keeping him at this stage. Hopefully we get him a ring before he moves on.

MOtorboat
01-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Champ make it do what it do.

slim
01-30-2014, 07:24 PM

By a lot? He only has 2-3 years left regardless....

Bosco
01-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Much as I love Champ, he prob needs to hang it up after this game regardless...

...he has, however, played solid during the playoffs.

Let's just win this sucker and send him off into the sunset like we did Mr. Elway...

I don't understand this doomsday attitude in regards to Champ. The guy was elite in 2012, hurt his foot this year but has still looked very good as he's gotten healthier.

weazel
01-31-2014, 10:56 AM
By a lot? He only has 2-3 years left regardless....

I was thinking career money wise. He can still make good money at safety.

Davii
01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
If Champ decided he wants to keep playing (win or lose) he will restructure and remain a Bronco.

Save this post.

Champ said himself when he signed this contract that in a few years he'd have to play for less. He's a Damn smart guy, he knows his worth, so do other teams, and he's loyal. If it's a small money difference he would take a little less to play here.

BroncoJoe
01-31-2014, 12:40 PM
If Champ decided he wants to keep playing (win or lose) he will restructure and remain a Bronco.

Save this post.

Champ said himself when he signed this contract that in a few years he'd have to play for less. He's a Damn smart guy, he knows his worth, so do other teams, and he's loyal. If it's a small money difference he would take a little less to play here.

I hope Manning has the same attitude. After we win on Sunday, he very well may want to keep the team as together as possible for a repeat. It would go a long way toward achieving that if he restructured his own deal.

Tned
01-31-2014, 01:51 PM

Save this post.

Quoted for posterity...

weazel
01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
I hope Manning has the same attitude. After we win on Sunday, he very well may want to keep the team as together as possible for a repeat. It would go a long way toward achieving that if he restructured his own deal.

that would be swell

claymore
01-31-2014, 02:56 PM
While we are fantasizing, I would like a bj from mary poppins. :heh:

Northman
01-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Loyalty doesnt really exist in this league anymore so i find it very hard to believe that if another team offered Champ a lot of money he wouldnt take it. He would be stupid not too.

Simple Jaded
01-31-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't understand this doomsday attitude in regards to Champ. The guy was elite in 2012, hurt his foot this year but has still looked very good as he's gotten healthier.

Totally agree, maybe/hopefully Denver and Bailey work out a deal and next season we get to see if Bailey is remotely close to the player he was in '12.

BroncoJoe
01-31-2014, 04:32 PM

Eh. I'd rather have one from Maria Von Trapp.

CoachChaz
01-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Eh. I'd rather have one from Maria Von Trapp.

The Julie Andrews version or the Carrie Underwood version?

BroncoJoe
01-31-2014, 04:39 PM
The Julie Andrews version or the Carrie Underwood version?

Either. I'm not picky.

CoachChaz
01-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Either. I'm not picky.

Speaking of The Sound of Music...here is what the youngest daughter in that movie, Gretl, looks like today at age 55.

Northman
01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Look at these guys breaking out the milfs.... lol

Dapper Dan
01-31-2014, 05:16 PM
It depends on what's important to him. He's had a long enough career. Does he want to do whatever it takes to play an extra 2 seasons? Does he have enough money to set up himself and his family for life? Is he a hardcore gambler? Maybe he just doesn't want to play safety. What if he sucks at it? What if he continues to be injured as a safety? He seems to believe if he's not healthy enough to play CB then he might as well retire.

Broncolingus
01-31-2014, 06:39 PM

...it's a glorious thing to do.

Davii
01-31-2014, 09:33 PM
Loyalty doesnt really exist in this league anymore so i find it very hard to believe that if another team offered Champ a lot of money he wouldnt take it. He would be stupid not too.

North, nobody is going to offer him more than he's worth, which is why I said if it's a small money difference. Champ won't leave here over 100k. And I disagree on the loyalty, Champ could've left last contract and gotten similar money elsewhere… Yet he stayed, and that was preManning when it looked like we had a better chance at winning a toilet bowl than a Super Bowl.

DenBronx
01-31-2014, 10:24 PM

Save this post.

I think so too. And as loyal as Bailey has been to the Broncos I think the team needs to be fair to him. Like you said, Baileys a smart dude. He knows he isnt a 10 mill a year guy anymore and I suspect he takes a team friendly cut in the offseason to stay here.

Simple Jaded
02-01-2014, 04:31 PM

Old hens would rather put out than be put out to the pasture.

slim
02-01-2014, 04:54 PM

I thought you were more of a tug job kind of guy?