PDA

View Full Version : Hochman: Vance Johnson of "Three Amigos" opens up about alcoholism

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2014, 11:53 AM
The wide receiver was double-teamed by an angel and a demon.

There was his 19-year-old son, always hovering above. And there was this suffocating alcoholism that Vance Johnson couldn't shake.

"When I found out that my son died, I don't remember where I was for the next two years of my life — I wasn't breathing, I know that," said Johnson, one of the Broncos' famed "Three Amigos" receivers, who played in three Super Bowls in the 1980s. "I literally sat in the back of my restaurant, man, and just fell apart. ... Alcohol was controlling my life. And this is really the first time I'm able to come out and talk about it, because I'm newly out of recovery, three to four months out."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_25020858/vance-johnson-three-amigos-opens-up-about-death-son-alcoholism

Buff
01-30-2014, 12:07 PM
:buzzkill:

Dzone
01-30-2014, 12:16 PM
I missed the tail end of that interview. I wasnt a fan of the vance, but now I like him. What a brutal story. I remember back in the 80s I was working at a denver night club checking IDs at the door and vance was pretty much a regular at that club. Wow, so glad to see he is doing okay now. He looks great at 50. Good on him for 4 months of sobriety. His story can inspire people to overcome that demon of alcohol.

MasterShake
01-30-2014, 12:27 PM
I missed the tail end of that interview. I wasnt a fan of the vance, but now I like him. What a brutal story. I remember back in the 80s I was working at a denver night club checking IDs at the door and vance was pretty much a regular at that club. Wow, so glad to see he is doing okay now. He looks great at 50. Good on him for 4 months of sobriety. His story can inspire people to overcome that demon of alcohol.

He was a regular at the Dog Track when I worked there in the late 90's too. He was always drinking and not very approachable.