PDA

View Full Version : Pat Bowlen a "Top 5" owner, says Paul Tagliabue, ex-NFL commish

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2014, 08:15 PM
JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Now this is what the NFL would call a power lunch.

Paul Tagliabue, the league's commissioner from 1989-2006, stopped by the Broncos' Super Bowl hotel Tuesday to visit with Pat Bowlen, who for nearly three decades was an NFL owner of considerable influence.

Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway and Broncos president Joe Ellis were the bit players in this lunch gathering.

AND

"The franchise player tag, it was Pat who said, "Call it the Elway Rule, call it whatever you want but we're not letting our best player go out on the market. It doesn't make sense from the fans' standpoint. That's what builds fan bases is continuity with the great players. That's what we as the league called the franchise tag in the beginning, the Elway Rule."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25010996/broncos-pat-bowlen-top-5-owner-paul-tagliabue

Shazam!
01-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Paul Tag was a thousand times better commish than this douche who rules the NFL with 4th an iron fist.

Ravage!!!
01-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Paul Tag was a thousand times better commish than this douche who rules the NFL with 4th an iron fist.

Goodell is just a power hungry douche.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-29-2014, 12:18 PM
"The Elway rule", I like it.

Bronco Bible
01-29-2014, 03:15 PM

I agree even though I thought he was right at the beginning.:tsk:

DenBronx
01-29-2014, 07:02 PM

He was great for the NFL. But I think Paul knew all of the lawsuits were getting ready to come to the NFL.

Goodell had to make changes, he just had to, there was no choice.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2014, 02:43 PM
JERSEY CITY, N.J. -- In 30 years, Owner and CEO Pat Bowlen has been part of more than 300 wins.

Earlier this season, he became the first owner to accomplish that feat in such a short span of years. And with Bowlen's leadership at the top, Broncos President Joe Ellis isn't surprised in the least that the team has seen such a striking amount of success.

“Thirty years of leadership, north of 300 wins and now his sixth Super Bowl appearance going for his third Super Bowl win," Ellis said. "He’s just been a steady hand on this franchise – a guy with great instincts, humility, kindness. So I think everybody in the organization is rooting for us and I think a lot of fans as well are rooting for us to win as much as anything for him. He’s made it public that he’s taken a step back and let us do our jobs, he’s always let us do our jobs but even more so now on the public front, as you know. For him and his family, it certainly would be a great reward if we could come away with a victory on Sunday night.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Bowlens-Leadership-Leads-to-Super-Bowl/70455e9d-d223-4140-a274-ff8db3151877

Broncolingus
02-01-2014, 12:56 PM
He was great for the NFL. But I think Paul knew all of the lawsuits were getting ready to come to the NFL.

Goodell had to make changes, he just had to, there was no choice.

I agree...

...and there have been some decisions I have not supported from Goodell, but I think he's done an overall good job given the direction of the NFL and challenges (strike/CBA, replay review, and now concussions, et al).

I like his stances on celebrations, drug and alcohol use, and such...

...but then again, I'm old school.

(...let the flaming begin :D...)

Simple Jaded
02-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Please! Tagliabue is the reason the NFL desperately needed a Commish like Goodell.

BroncoWave
02-01-2014, 07:14 PM
We have commissioners like Bud Selig and Gary Bettman in sports and people think Goodell sucks? I just don't get it. The NFL has continued to grow more and more popular under his leadership.

Dapper Dan
02-02-2014, 01:00 AM
I had no idea that was the story about the Franchise Tag.