PDA

View Full Version : Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie says he'll retire if Broncos win Super Bowl

CrazyHorse
01-27-2014, 03:25 PM
In a surprising revelation, 27-year-old cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie told Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports that he's "almost positive" he'll retire from the NFL if his Denver Broncos win the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Alex Marvez, also of FOX Sports, reported that Rodgers-Cromartie said he's spoken with his teammates about the possibility of retiring for "a while" and that his plans are "not set in stone."

The Broncos play the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday in what could be the cornerback's last game.

Rodgers-Cromartie is in just his sixth NFL season and first with the Broncos. After signing a one-year, $5 million contract last March, he's put together an impressive bounce-back campaign and appears set to land a big contract in free agency. He has three interceptions this season and has the fifth-best rating among NFL corners at Pro Football Focus.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/27/5350880/dominique-rodgers-cromartie-retire-broncos-win-super-bowl

Him and Champ both gone?

VonDoom
01-27-2014, 03:31 PM
He's said this in passing before, so I guess I wouldn't be shocked. I can't get too worried about this yet, though - let's win that last game and then spend the off season debating who will be here next year and who won't.

broncohead
01-27-2014, 03:36 PM
That would suck but i'm sure we'd target another CB in FA/draft anyway

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
01-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Our secondary is going to undergo a massive change next season it looks like. Although any time a 27 year old talks about retirement, I am a little cautious to read too much into it.

GEM
01-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Ugh....hope he reconsiders after we do win.

SR
01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Why the eff would he even make that statement this week? Moron.

Tned
01-27-2014, 04:33 PM
I find it amazing that he would retire, especially considering the great comeback year he's had. I'd considered it at best a coin toss that we could resign him, figuring with the year he had he would be a hot commodity in the free agent market. If money isn't the only thing that drives him, maybe his teammates will work on him to come back for a back-to-back campaign if the Broncos win.

weazel
01-27-2014, 04:35 PM
this just upped his value... his way of saying, "well if you want me back, it's going to cost you"

slim
01-27-2014, 04:35 PM
B.S.

Broncolingus
01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Why the eff would he even make that statement this week? Moron.

...maybe he's trying the 'Ray Lewis' motivation thing?

TXBRONC
01-27-2014, 05:21 PM
I won't call him liar but I'm not buying it.

Joel
...maybe he's trying the 'Ray Lewis' motivation thing?
Yeah, I thought it was pretty weird a team captain would drop a bombshell like that on his teammates right before their first playoff game rather than in the offseason, but it sure seemed to motivate the refs to cut Baltimore breaks vs. Indy, and a TON vs. us. I stopped watching after that because it seemed obvious where it would end; was it as bad the rest of the way?

Meanwhile: Another misleading title, but one likely to draw attention. "ALMOST positive" and "not set in stone"=/="will." He's at his peak, could play another 5+ years and is without a contract after the best season of his career; it's really hard to believe a 27 year old would walk away from that after a SB that would only increase his market value with a champions resume.

I sure HOPE it's BS, or he changes his mind, because if Champ retires, leaves in FA (which I frankly doubt) or mov—never mind; point is, Harris' ACL recovery is no guarantee either, and the possibility of Webster and Carter as our #1/2 next year is horrifying.

BroncoWave
Well then I hope he retires. It will mean we won the Super Bowl! :D

Honestly, though, I don't get why anyone would criticize him if he does retire. He has made more than enough money to set his and his kids future if he's managed it correctly, and given the health concerns of former players, why not get out why you are still relatively young and healthy? Especially if you have a ring as well.

I'm honestly surprised that more players don't do this.

Dzone
01-27-2014, 06:05 PM
The guy is in the prime of his career. Doesnt make sense, but if it motivates him to say that, hey whatever it takes. Just dont be a distraction.

Nomad
01-27-2014, 06:07 PM
this just upped his value... his way of saying, "well if you want me back, it's going to cost you"

And the BRONCOS say.....'shut them down in the game and we'll definitely talk you out of retiring'

DenBronx
01-27-2014, 06:58 PM
I dont buy it.

But then again, maybe he is that stupid.

Fine then, that keeps Decker and maybe Moreno here.

BroncoWave
01-27-2014, 07:04 PM
I dont buy it.

But then again, maybe he is that stupid.

Fine then, that keeps Decker and maybe Moreno here.

Why would that be stupid? In my opinion, it's smart. You are much more likely to have your long-term health if you retire at his age, and you still have more than enough money to live on for the rest of your life.

Now if he does this and goes broke in two years it obviously looks stupid, but he'd still be young enough to make a comeback without any problem.

As I said earlier, I'm honestly surprised more players don't do this. Given what we have seen happen to former players health-wise when they reach their 50s and beyond, it honestly wouldn't shock me if they became a trend.

I'm never gonna call a guy stupid for making what he thinks is the best long-term decision for him and his family.

DenBronx
01-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Its stupid because he is a top 5 CB and only 27. He has a job most people only dream about yet would be walking away way too early.

But he's a grown ass man and he can do what he wants.

BroncoWave
01-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Its stupid because he is a top 5 CB and only 27. He has a job most people only dream about yet would be walking away way too early.

But he's a grown ass man and he can do what he wants.

I guess I don't understand how walking away with your health, millions of dollars, and a ring is stupid. That's way more than many, many people who have stepped foot on a football field have accomplished.

OrangeHoof
01-27-2014, 08:06 PM

I think so too. Elway should use the franchise tag on him. Pay him what he's worth (particularly if Champ moves on) but don't let him leverage free agency to sign some big deal with another team. Maybe agree to a sign-and-trade if he refuses to sign with Denver but I don't get the impression he's unhappy with being a Bronco.

Tned
01-27-2014, 08:09 PM
I guess I don't understand how walking away with your health, millions of dollars, and a ring is stupid. That's way more than many, many people who have stepped foot on a football field have accomplished.

Aka Plummer, minus the ring

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

BroncoWave
01-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Aka Plummer, minus the ring

And Plummer seems to be very happy and living the life now. Barry Sanders too. As I said, it really wouldn't shock me if this became a trend. I bet it would CERTAINLY push the NFL even further to try to end the concussion issue if their young stars were starting to retire early.

ShaneFalco
01-27-2014, 08:18 PM
gl with whatever you decide DRC!

silkamilkamonico
01-27-2014, 09:51 PM
And Plummer seems to be very happy and living the life now. Barry Sanders too. As I said, it really wouldn't shock me if this became a trend. I bet it would CERTAINLY push the NFL even further to try to end the concussion issue if their young stars were starting to retire early.

Not only is Plunger happy, but he still has all his marbles packed tighly in his bag.

Not stupid at all if DRC wanted to walk away with millions of dollars, and his full health intact.

DenBronx
01-27-2014, 11:29 PM
I guess you guys are right about doing what makes you happy part.

I said stupid because I think DRC is an elite CB. It would suck to see him go this early when he has so much left to give. Not to mention he is on the verge of huge contract this offseason. Just doesn't make sense to walk now.....win or lose.

Maybe DRC is just trying to play a chess match with the Broncos to get himself a bigger deal. Doubt it because he seems to mean what he says. Just wish he would have waited until after the biggest game we have had since 98.

Tned
01-28-2014, 01:53 AM

Curtis Martin was on NFL AM this morning (maybe yesterday) talking about the matchup and stuff. At one point towards the end of his guest spot they mentioned he'd had four surgeries and he said he needed four more.

They didn't elaborate on what the surgeries were, but i assume knees, hips, etc. That he tore down playing ball.

While I don't remember who it was that said it, I remember what he said. A years back, One of the espn guys said that watching the ex NFL players walking around the espn complex was incredible. They were all some level of cripple, hobbling around in pain like someone twice their actual age.

SM19
01-28-2014, 02:26 AM
Given all we've learned recently about the long-term effects of playing football, I wouldn't blame him one bit. And honestly, if the Broncos win Sunday I won't care one bit what kind of shape they're in for next year.

pulse
01-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Kind of surprised nobody has updated this tread. DRC says he was misunderstood about his retiring comments:

"They misunderstood what I'm saying. I've got a one-year deal," Rodgers-Cromartie said. "There's been plenty of times when guys get a one-year deal and it doesn't pan out and that's it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000318886/article/dominique-rodgerscromartie-backs-off-retirement

MasterShake
01-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Curtis Martin was on NFL AM this morning (maybe yesterday) talking about the matchup and stuff. At one point towards the end of his guest spot they mentioned he'd had four surgeries and he said he needed four more.

They didn't elaborate on what the surgeries were, but i assume knees, hips, etc. That he tore down playing ball.

While I don't remember who it was that said it, I remember what he said. A years back, One of the espn guys said that watching the ex NFL players walking around the espn complex was incredible. They were all some level of cripple, hobbling around in pain like someone twice their actual age.

For some reason I never really thought about all the wear and tear a CB would have on him. When I think of hobbled ex NFL players I think of linemen and running backs mostly. I remember seeing Terrell Davis walk around with a limp in 2002, and the same thing with Tom Nalen before he lost a ton of weight. I guess the only safe bet would be a punter or kicker or something.

DenBronx
01-28-2014, 01:19 PM
So we can now stop comparing him to Jake Plummer.

Dzone
01-28-2014, 01:31 PM
In DRCs interview with d sanders today, he said that he was misunderstood on his retirement. Thats how crazy super bowl week is. Everyone is searching for that next big story. Stuff gets exageratted lol

GEM
01-28-2014, 01:50 PM
GXE_n2q08Yw

It's all about the Benjamins.