PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning will return to Broncos for 2014 season, he says at Super Bowl week

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 07:42 PM
JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Speculation Peyton Manning might hang 'em up after this year starting spreading to the point no one knows where it started.

First things first at Super Bowl XLVIII, Manning let it be known he isn't going anywhere.

The Broncos have a guaranteed $20 million salary waiting for Manning next season. The grand plan is to collect that dough while hopefully defending the Super Bowl championship the Broncos can earn by defeating the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford.

"A number of players have walked away as champions," Manning said at his first Super Bowl press conference here Sunday night.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24997812/peyton-manning-will-return-broncos-2014-season-he

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Really, really misleading article title. That's really not what Peyton said at all. This was his quote:

"I think when you still enjoy the preparation, the work part of it, I think you still ought to be still doing that," he said. "When I stop enjoying it, when I can't produce, when I can't help the team that's when I'll stop playing. If that's next year, maybe it is. I certainly want to continue to keep playing."

So he did say maybe next year is when he'll want to hang it up. He certainly didn't confirm that he is coming back.

ShaneFalco
01-26-2014, 07:50 PM
i hope he does, not looking forward to the QB search. But after all, we do got Elway :)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 07:51 PM
from article:

"I still enjoy playing football. I feel a little better than I thought I would at this point coming off that (neck fusion) surgery. I still enjoy the preparation part of it, the work part of it. Everybody enjoys the game. Everybody is going to be excited to play in the Super Bowl."

AND

"I think when you still enjoy the preparation, the work part of it, I think you sought to be still doing that," he said. "When I stop enjoying it, when I can't produce, when I can't help the team that's when I'll stop playing. If that's next year, maybe it is. I certainly want to continue to keep playing."

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 07:53 PM
from article:

AND

Yeah, none of that is him confirming that he is coming back next year like the article title stated. Nothing against you Carol, glad you posted the article, but whoever wrote the title for it really couldn't have been more wrong.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 07:56 PM
JERSEY CITY, N.J. -- In what was likely the most expansive answer to the inevitable questions about his future, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning said Sunday he "certainly" wanted to play beyond the result of next Sunday's Super Bowl XLVIII.

Since the postseason has started, Manning has used phrases like "light at the end of the tunnel" about his playing career and made references to his career being in the homestretch. But when asked, just after the Broncos' arrival Sunday night, Manning said he planned on playing in the 2014 season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10356121/super-bowl-xlviii-peyton-manning-wants-continue-playing-next-season

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Yeah, none of that is him confirming that he is coming back next year like the article title stated. Nothing against you Carol, glad you posted the article, but whoever wrote the title for it really couldn't have been more wrong.

Being more wrong is your opinion. I just posted another article written by Jeff Legwold, and he stated the same thing in the title of his article.

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Being more wrong is your opinion. I just posted another article written by Jeff Legwold, and he stated the same thing in the title of his article.

Saying "I'd like to keep playing" is not the same as saying "I will keep playing".

FTR, I didn't say that they were wrong that he will be back. He probably will be back. But none of those quotes outright said he would be returning. He even explicitly said that next year could be when he decides he can't do it anymore.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 08:01 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000318039/article/peyton-manning-i-certainly-want-to-keep-playing

article, plus Peyton talking

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 08:01 PM

And the title of Legwold's article is "he wants to keep playing" which is far more accurate in describing his quote. I know I'm kinda being tedious with the semantics, but it is misleading to say he has confirmed he is returning.

Tned
01-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Saying "I'd like to keep playing" is not the same as saying "I will keep playing".

FTR, I didn't say that they were wrong that he will be back. He probably will be back. But none of those quotes outright said he would be returning. He even explicitly said that next year could be when he decides he can't do it anymore.

He also said Elway and Ray Lewis were done physically when they retired and that he isn't at that point.

So, he didn't guarantee a return, but he basically walked right up to that line and insinuated it.

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 08:27 PM
He also said Elway and Ray Lewis were done physically when they retired and that he isn't at that point.

So, he didn't guarantee a return, but he basically walked right up to that line and insinuated it.

I'll agree that he strongly hinted at it and that I'm being nit-picky, but he didn't in fact confirm that he is returning like the title of the article said.

Tned
01-26-2014, 08:35 PM
I'll agree that he strongly hinted at it and that I'm being nit-picky, but he didn't in fact confirm that he is returning like the title of the article said.

You do realize that news headlines are often deceptive or focused on creating hype.

pulse
01-26-2014, 08:39 PM
I will second that the article title is misleading. Facts are facts. Peyton Manning never said he will be back for the 2014 season. All he said is that he wants to continue playing. However, Peyton will not confirm or guarantee anything right now until he completes his physical in the post season. He clearly said he is continuing to take a year-by-year approach. He has been doing so since he was cleared to play after extensive rehab in 2012. If his doctors clear him to continue his career after his post-season physical, then I have no doubts that he will return for the 2014 season. You can go ahead and say the same for the 2015 season. I just can't see him hanging it up as long as he's healthy and performing at a high level.

Joel
01-26-2014, 08:51 PM
BroncoWave's absolutely right: The original articles title is misleading, and neither Mannings statement he WANTS to come back nor Legwolds quotation of it alters that. If Legwold's considered authoritative, here's another article he wrote shortly before the above-linked one: http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/3909/denver-broncos-peyton-manning-made-health-plan

But as ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10282231/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-determine-future-based-results-offseason-neck-exam), Manning's status for 2014 will not depend on whether this playoff run ends with him enjoying a Super Bowl win or dealing with a playoff loss. It will depend on what a medical exam on Manning's surgically repaired neck shows in the coming weeks and months.

If doctors give Manning the thumbs up, he will play in 2014. If not, then he arrives at the end of his career, and we start the clock for Canton.

Manning has always said if the doctors told him, even during his recovery following spinal fusion surgery, he shouldn't play, that he would walk away from the game knowing, “it's been a good run."
Sports Illustrated said basically the same thing in another article (with a less misleading headline) 2 weeks ago: http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/12/peyton-manning-retirement-offseason-denver-broncos/

The Washington Post article on the same story as the originally linked article paints the same picture, with more quotes from Manning: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/01/26/peyton-manning-on-retirement-no-plans-beyond-this-game/

I certainly had a career change two years ago with my injury, with changing teams, and so I truly have been kind of a one-year-at-a-time basis. So I really have no plans beyond this game, had no plans coming into this season beyond this year. I think that’s the healthy way to approach kind of your career at this stage.... I think as soon as I stop enjoying it, if I can’t produce, if I can’t help the team, that’s when I’ll stop playing. If that’s next year, maybe it is, but I certainly want to continue to keep playing.
Both quotes are in the original article, too, and in the last line Manning said OUTRIGHT he may not return. Yes, he wants to keep playing next year but no, he hasn't said he will.

Tned
01-26-2014, 08:54 PM
You guys do realize that Carol isn't the editor of the Denver Post, right?

pnbronco
01-26-2014, 08:54 PM

You bet he did and I just did a HAPPY DANCE!!!!

I saw John after that last game. The man could hardly walk. It was taking longer for him to recover that last year he played than there were days in the week. Peyton is no where near that. When you see him walk he doesn't have any serious limps and he doesn't seem in pain like John way. Peyton's still loves this game and with the way he played this year I just don't think he's ready to hang them up on top, like many have speculated.

He can't guarantee a return because no one knows what will happened between today and the beginning of OTA's but his mind and heart are still in it and that's great news for US!!!!

pulse
01-26-2014, 08:59 PM

I don't think anybody is ripping Carol. We're just pointing out the obvious.

DenBronx
01-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Win or lose, I highly doubt Manning is going to retire. In fact I think he finishes out his contract because he has shown no signs of slowing down, he's only got better.

"I certainly want to continue to keep playing." Those were Mannings actual comments so I don't get what the argument is here.

Joel
01-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Sure; like BroncoWave said, none of this is against her; THE ARTICLES title is misleading. Mortensen and Legwold said it's down to his neck exam this spring, and I believe that. I can't recall where, but saw a recent NFL video on Cooper Manning as "the forgotten Manning" that said their dad had all his sons checked when Coopers congenital back condition ended his playing days, and found Peyton's got it, too. He was still a HS underclassman then, so I presume it doesn't ENSURE serious injury or he would've quit, too, but they surely watch it closely, ESPECIALLY now.

pulse
01-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Win or lose, I highly doubt Manning is going to retire. In fact I think he finishes out his contract because he has shown no signs of slowing down, he's only got better.

"I certainly want to continue to keep playing." Those were Mannings actual comments so I don't get what the argument is here.

There shouldn't be an argument. However, Peyton stating "I certainly want to continue to keep playing" won't make fans feel any better if he is advised to retire by his doctors this post season. This is why the title of the article is ill-advised. There is a CLEAR CUT reason Peyton is not confirming ANYTHING beyond the Super Bowl until he is certain he will be back, regardless of how much he WANTS to be back.

Joel
01-26-2014, 09:12 PM

That he ALSO said, "I think as soon as I stop enjoying it, if I can’t produce, if I can’t help the team, that’s when I’ll stop playing. If that’s next year, maybe it is, but I certainly want to continue to keep playing," yet a writer citing that quote titled their article "Peyton Manning will return to Broncos for 2014 season, he says at Super Bowl week." He said no such thing: Someone listened to only the parts of the quote they wanted to hear, then wrote an article about it.

Tned
01-26-2014, 09:15 PM
That he ALSO said, "I think as soon as I stop enjoying it, if I can’t produce, if I can’t help the team, that’s when I’ll stop playing. If that’s next year, maybe it is, but I certainly want to continue to keep playing," yet a writer citing that quote titled their article "Peyton Manning will return to Broncos for 2014 season, he says at Super Bowl week." He said no such thing: Someone listened to only the parts of the quote they wanted to hear, then wrote an article about it.

Wow, a first in modern journalism.

DenBronx
01-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Very good interview during the Pro Bowl halftime about Manning retiring or not retiring.

He also mentioned that it would be great to go out into the sunset like some players after winning but he still enjoys the preparation part.

He said he isn't done yet. So there you go.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Manning has the same check up every offseason, that's the misleading part of this story.

pnbronco
01-26-2014, 09:20 PM
I guess I just see things differently. I know he has to have the physical it's a part of who he is since the surgery and is written in his contract. We all know that something could happen that prevents him from returning because of his condition.

For me there is big different of does he want to come back barring any problems with his surgery or the other thing you talked about that he answered yes. John couldn't come back, his body was too far gone for him to be effective. Even then it killed him to not be able to help the team the next year. He said he so wanted to put on the uniform and get out there.

So I plan on sending my positive thoughts that he can return because he wants to.....oh yeah.....Happy Dance....:)

DenBronx
01-26-2014, 09:22 PM
There shouldn't be an argument. However, Peyton stating "I certainly want to continue to keep playing" won't make fans feel any better if he is advised to retire by his doctors this post season. This is why the title of the article is ill-advised. There is a CLEAR CUT reason Peyton is not confirming ANYTHING beyond the Super Bowl until he is certain he will be back, regardless of how much he WANTS to be back.

You both should have watched the interview with Manning suring the probowl.

DenBronx
01-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Manning has the same check up every offseason, that's the misleading part of this story.

Exactlly.

pulse
01-26-2014, 09:28 PM

I did. You're missing the damn point. You can't see the forest for the trees. You don't see the stars for the sky. Why don't you go back and read my first post in this thread? Peyton Manning will not CONFIRM he is returning for the 2014 season until after his post season check up. What the shit is so hard to understand? HOW MUCH CLEARER DOES IT GET?

Dzone
01-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Impressive interviews with Manning and wilson during pro bowl halftime. What a contrast with last years super bowl. You had two boring quarterbacks last year and this year we get probably the two classiest quarterbacks in the game.
Loved Manning answer about not retiring because he loves playing football too much to quit right now.

DenBronx
01-26-2014, 09:34 PM
I did. You're missing the damn point. You can't see the forest for the trees. You don't see the stars for the sky. Why don't you go back and read my first post in this thread? Peyton Manning will not CONFIRM he is returning for the 2014 season until after his post season check up. What the shit is so hard to understand? HOW MUCH CLEARER DOES IT GET?

Nice analogy. Not.

Joel
01-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Wow, a first in modern journalism.
Didn't say that either, but misleadingly titled articles is BAD journalism however well precedented.

Not misleading, just underreported. The implication from the recent articles on that check up though is that last time passing it locked in the rest of his contract and satisfied the team requirements for letting him play; this year it seems to be essentially his call. Either way, he could pass the exam and STILL walk away if he saw something in it he doesn't like.

Not sure I could even if inclined to watch the Pro Bowl, but since they moved it to the bye week I went from watching every year to never watching.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 09:35 PM

What are you trying to say?

pulse
01-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Nice analogy. Not.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

Dzone
01-26-2014, 09:37 PM
That has to really feel great to his teammates to know that Peyton has no intention of leaving them after this game. Peytons announcing this before this game is excellent time to do so.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 09:40 PM
That has to really feel great to his teammates to know that Peyton has no intention of leaving them after this game. Peytons announcing this before this game is excellent time to do so.

It is comforting to us fans as well, now that we have definitive word that he's going to play in 2014. I feel like a million dollars.

pulse
01-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Nobody here wants Peyton to return more than me. He is the reason I started paying more attention to Pro Football in 1998 and got hooked. But you guys need to remove your Orange-colored glasses for a minute. You just assume because Peyton Manning says he is not ready to leave, that he can still contribute, that he wants to return, etc., etc., etc-freaking-etc., is the final answer that he will be back. Yet we won't know for sure until after he is cleared by his doctors. That probably won't be until March. When at that time it is announced he has been cleared, I will believe he is returning. That is really all I have left to say about it.

DenBronx
01-26-2014, 09:45 PM

Yes it is. Could be huge motivation for some of these guys to stay here.

Manning is very un Brett Favrish. Meaning Brett would always milk his retirement. I'm retiring, oh wait im not, yes I am...no wait more money lets play.

I think Manning will be done when he says he is done and that will be that. You can see in his eyes that he is still very hungry to keep playing. Winning or losing next Sunday won't stop him.

The question is. Why in the heck would he retire? He just played the best season of any QB.....EVER! He is healthy, he has 20 mill waiting for him, his family relocated here and he has all of the tools around him to get back again next year. If he wins this year then why not get back for another? I wouldnt be shocked to see him win two Lombardis.

Also, I really think he will want to team up with Elway to buy part of the Broncos. These next few years could be key to his investment. That's a ton of cash he could use to make that transaction possible. Manning already looked into buying a basketball team but I think football is in his DNA and besides, he seems to love it here.

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 10:14 PM

Did you miss where I told Carol that I wasn't bashing her for posting the article, just the title writer for being wrong?

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Yes it is. Could be huge motivation for some of these guys to stay here.

Manning is very un Brett Favrish. Meaning Brett would always milk his retirement. I'm retiring, oh wait im not, yes I am...no wait more money lets play.

I think Manning will be done when he says he is done and that will be that. You can see in his eyes that he is still very hungry to keep playing. Winning or losing next Sunday won't stop him.

The question is. Why in the heck would he retire? He just played the best season of any QB.....EVER! He is healthy, he has 20 mill waiting for him, his family relocated here and he has all of the tools around him to get back again next year. If he wins this year then why not get back for another? I wouldnt be shocked to see him win two Lombardis.

Also, I really think he will want to team up with Elway to buy part of the Broncos. These next few years could be key to his investment. That's a ton of cash he could use to make that transaction possible. Manning already looked into buying a basketball team but I think football is in his DNA and besides, he seems to love it here.

Speaking of Ol Favvvra, now that Manning has guaranteed he will play in '14 I think we should sign Jared Allen as a contingency plan for '15 or '16, we could send Allan's ass down to Manning's place if Manning decides to retire.

Tned
01-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Is the manning halftime interview online? I didn't watch the game, so didn't see the interview.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Nomad
01-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Awesome, Peyton! That means more games on tv again up here next season.

Davii
01-26-2014, 11:30 PM
If I had an issue with the writer I would go post it in the comments section of the article so s/he might see it. Lately it seems people around here just delight on ******* up a good time.

"Oh look, people enjoying themselves, let me rain on their parade!"

******* annoying.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Is the manning halftime interview online? I didn't watch the game, so didn't see the interview.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

I found the following, not sure if it will help you find it

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2h

Tune in for halftime of Pro Bowl. @dpshow interviews Peyton Manning. Florio interviews @DangeRussWilson.

Nomad
01-26-2014, 11:32 PM
If I had an issue with the writer I would go post it in the comments section of the article so s/he might see it. Lately it seems people around here just delight on ******* up a good time.

******* annoying.

I just read the title and commented. That's what I do with threads lately:lol:

OrangeHoof
01-26-2014, 11:40 PM
You do realize that news headlines are often deceptive or focused on creating hype.

"If you like your quarterback, you can keep your quarterback. Period."

Seriously, though, he's toeing the line of saying he'll be back but I understand from another source several weeks ago that he has a neck exam slated in the spring to check on how well the surgery is holding up after two seasons. If they see that the repairs may come apart again from playing football, he may be advised not to return.

That's why I think he is talking the way he is. Returning is not entirely in his hands.

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 11:41 PM

******* annoying.

That's not really what I was going for, but sorry you interpreted it that way. I just didn't want people who didn't read the article or listen to his press conference to be misled that he confirmed he is returning when that wasn't the case. It wasn't meant to start any sort of argument, I was just pointing out that the title of the article was incorrect. I'm not really sure why that offended anyone.

Also, the people who write the articles don't write the titles, so I'm not sure how much good it would do if the article writer were told this.

BroncoJoe
01-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Thanks you idiots. Another thread that's flushed.

Jesus. Don't you morons have anything better to do? Nitpicking over the title of a article is childish at best.

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks you idiots. Another thread that's flushed.

Jesus. Don't you morons have anything better to do? Nitpicking over the title of a article is childish at best.

I would say the reaction to it is what is childish. I think it's fair to point out that the title was inaccurate. I didn't expect people to get so bent out of shape over it.

MOtorboat
01-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Also, the people who write the articles don't write the titles, so I'm not sure how much good it would do if the article writer were told this.

Trust me, it would just piss them off.

BroncoJoe
01-26-2014, 11:46 PM
I would say the reaction to it is what is childish. I think it's fair to point out that the title was inaccurate. I didn't expect people to get so bent out of shape over it.

Of course you would.

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Of course you would.

I'm sorry you are so offended by all of this. You didn't even write or post the damn article. It's Super Bowl week. Lighten up.

BroncoWave
01-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Trust me, it would just piss them off.

I would imagine so. I would also imagine it pisses off writers when the person who gives it a title makes it misleading or not really conveying the point they were trying to get across with the article.

Joel
01-26-2014, 11:49 PM

******* annoying.
I can't speak for others, but for me it's more like "Anyone who takes this real uncertainty as a guarantee is setting themselves up for a hard painful fall if it doesn't happen."

In this case it's an article stating untruth in the headline: He didn't say he WILL return next year, and in fact said it's a maybe and that he's not thinking past the SB, though he'd LIKE to return.

If people want to take "maybe" as an ironclad promise ANYWAY, no power on Earth can stop them.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 11:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10322500/2013-nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-stands-alone

Pretty good argument for Manning and this supposed Legacy Game.

Simple Jaded
01-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Wow, that escalated quickly!

Davii
01-27-2014, 01:45 AM
It's Super Bowl week. Lighten up.

Exactly.

Timmy!
01-27-2014, 02:14 AM
Lol@ this thread. This forum is going to shit.

BroncoWave
01-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Lol@ this thread. This forum is going to shit.

Agreed. Never thought I'd see the day when people would take it personally that someone had a problem with the title of an article. :lol:

Tned
01-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Agreed. Never thought I'd see the day when people would take it personally that someone had a problem with the title of an article. :lol:

Nobody had a problem with someone else having a problem with the title. It was the posters going on and on about it and coming across as if the OP was wrong for posting the article.

BroncoWave
01-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Nobody had a problem with someone else having a problem with the title. It was the posters going on and on about it and coming across as if the OP was wrong for posting the article.

Well everyone that was complaining about the article specifically said it wasn't Carol's fault, so I don't know what else to say really. :noidea:

I was only going on and on about it because people were continuing the discussion down that road.

Joel
01-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Several people clearly DID have a problem with someone else having a problem with the title, because they said so, even after BroncoWave outright said he wasn't criticizing Carol in any way.

Well everyone that was complaining about the article specifically said it wasn't Carol's fault, so I don't know what else to say really. :noidea:

I was only going on and on about it because people were continuing the discussion down that road.
Which is how that tends to go, and why I hoped the argument would end if I just stopped responding, since I've repeatedly been told I'm the instigator causing of all of them. Turns out people are perfectly able and willing to have a nasty argument about stuff whether I'm involved or not.

Mans endless ubiquitous capacity to unite behind paramount principlet but promptly split into factions condeming each other for the same vicious attacks is amazing. After a while it plunges so far into the sewer who shot first stops mattering because, despite each insisting it was the other, neither remembers and both are guilty as sin regardless. The only way to end the vicious cycle is to let it go and return focus to the original overarching goal, so: Go, America; Go, Broncos.

Yes, I know how pretentious that is; still true, and I'd still rather focus on how much we all want the Broncos to win the Super Bowl, not how much we all want each other to die in a fire. ;)

DenBronx
01-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Meanwhile....back at the ranch and the initial topic. Its really great Manning has guaranteed his return next season.

vettesplus
01-27-2014, 10:33 AM
I truly believe and I hope to god I am wrong, I feel he will retire if he wins this SB....jmo

Northman
01-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Cannot believe people were all up in arms about about a misleading title..........

So what if its just speculation, is it really that BIG of a deal? I mean really? Come on guys.... lol

Nomad
01-27-2014, 10:40 AM
I truly believe and I hope to god I am wrong, I feel he will retire if he wins this SB....jmo

You mean 'when' he and the BRONCOS win the SB.:lol:

Dzone
01-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Mannings NOT retiring after this season. He said it yesterday. Case closed.

slim
01-27-2014, 12:32 PM
BTB - stop posting.

BroncoWave
01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
BTB - stop posting.

That hurts slim, that really hurts.

slim
01-27-2014, 01:07 PM
That hurts slim, that really hurts.

It's for your own good.

Joel
01-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Mannings NOT retiring after this season. He said it yesterday. Case closed.
"Maybe" doesn't mean "no." The case isn't closed, but even if it were just closed in this thread, why reopen it by repeating, "is not!" just so someone else can continue with "maybe not!"?

Here's hoping we win Sunday and he comes back to defend the title; unfortunately, while he'd LIKE to do both, neither is GUARANTEED.

Northman
01-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Just to spite you Joel, Manning will come back. Watch. lol

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Yesterday, after I posted the initial thread, and some were not happy with the article title, I then posted articles from two other sites. Here is something from another article:

Shortly after arriving in Jersey City for next week's game against Seattle, Manning was in front of a larger group of national media, and the Broncos quarterback said his love of the game will keep him around awhile long.

"I still enjoy playing football. I feel a little better than I thought I would at this point coming off that surgery," Manning said. "I still enjoy the preparation part of it. The work part of it. ... I think if you still enjoy the work part of it, the preparation part of it, you should still be doing it.

"As soon as I stop enjoying it, if I can't produce, I can't help the team, that's when I'll stop playing. If that's next year, maybe it is, but I certainly want to continue to keep playing."

http://www.9news.com/news/article/375018/188/Peyton-Manning-plays-down-talk-of-retirement

With Peyton stating that he certainly wants to continue to keep playing - common sense should enter the picture - if his after the season physical shows that he should not continue to play because there is something seriously wrong, which playing football would make it worse, he is NOT stupid enough to ignore that. However, right now, based on what he said, he certainly wants to continue to keep playing.

Also, with Peyton saying that he certainly wants to continue to keep playing - there is NO chance that he would be playing with any other team.

MOtorboat
01-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Can we all agree that it sounds like he's coming back, but he hedged his bet and the Denver Post web editor jumped the gun.

And then lock the thread?

Joel
01-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Just to spite you Joel, Manning will come back. Watch. lol
He'll have to win a SB to spite me (well, just the opposite really, but whatever works at this point. ;))

MOtorboat
01-27-2014, 01:48 PM
He'll have to win a SB to spite me (well, just the opposite really, but whatever works at this point. ;))

I thought Denver just had to get to an AFC Championship? Standards change this week?

:whoknows:

Joel
01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Yesterday, after I posted the initial thread, and some were not happy with the article title, I then posted articles from two other sites. Here is something from another article:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/375018/188/Peyton-Manning-plays-down-talk-of-retirement

With Peyton stating that he certainly wants to continue to keep playing - common sense should enter the picture - if his after the season physical shows that he should not continue to play because there is something seriously wrong, which playing football would make it worse, he is NOT stupid enough to ignore that. However, right now, based on what he said, he certainly wants to continue to keep playing.

Also, with Peyton saying that he certainly wants to continue to keep playing - there is NO chance that he would be playing with any other team.
Technically he didn't say that last part either, but I agree it's pretty unthinkable a 38 year old QB coming off a SB appearance would bail on his championship contender to start over somewhere else (again) and hope to make it back before Father Time caught up with him. It's theoretically possible we like his exam results far less than he, and cut him, though that's pretty unimaginable if only because of the cap hit. A guarantee's a guarantee though, and he guaranteed nothing by stating conditions.

Can we all agree that it sounds like he's coming back, but he hedged his bet and the Denver Post web editor jumped the gun.

And then lock the thread?
I agree with that, but if we can make it unanimous there's no need to lock the thread.

I thought Denver just had to get to an AFC Championship? Standards change this week?

:whoknows:
Nope, but if all it takes to win a SB is telling him it would really piss off a random Broncos fan in Norway, I'll buy a freakin' stadium banner. Read the part in parentheses. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Joel - all I can say is that you are totally unbelievable. Those last words in regards to there being no chance that Peyton would play for any other team were my words. I would think 99.9% would also feel that way. IMO, there is no way he would bail on the Broncos, to play elsewhere, and there is no way the Broncos would show him the door.

Joel
01-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Joel - all I can say is that you are totally unbelievable. Those last words in regards to there being no chance that Peyton would play for any other team were my words. I would think 99.9% would also feel that way. IMO, there is no way he would bail on the Broncos, to play elsewhere, and there is no way the Broncos would show him the door.
I'm inclined to agree; it was hyperbole to illustrate there's no GUARANTEE. If the doctors say there's no way he can make it through 4 games, let alone a season (as unikely as I think that is) but he decides to take his chances anyway (as unlikely as I think THAT is) Elway might decide it's worth the brutal cap hit to go find the seasons starter (though that seems pretty unlikely, too; it would make more sense to say, "it's your body," while hunting up a veteran who can start if Manning goes down and Osweiler proves unready.)

Before this turns into One of Those Things, NO, I'm NOT saying his exam will be bad, he'll choose to play ANYWAY and we'll cut him and suffer through cap Hell. NOR am I saying he'll do us like Favre did the Jets. I simply tried to make a point a "conditional guarantee" is basically "maybe," which is why Manning SAID, "maybe." All the hoping on Earth won't make his "maybe" a "yes."

pulse
01-27-2014, 03:38 PM
ESPN just aired an interview between Chris Mortensen and Peyton Manning about his future. The basic points are as follows:

* Peyton says, thanks to Chris, there will be a crowd at the medical facility when he goes in for his MRI.
* The decision will depend on his doctors: He will not question them if they are hesitant about him continuing his career.
* He will retire if there is evidence that degeneration is occurring above or below the fuse.
* Peyton doesn't think he's reached his potential as a football player. If he's healthy, he will return next year. (Hasn't reached his potential? Crazy....)

That is all.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Yes, they have aired that interview a couple of times. I still have not found it anywhere to post the link to it though.