PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl 2014: Broncos' Shaun Phillips rode missed connection to a homecoming

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 04:44 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — From his seat on the school bus just behind coach Ty Belford, Shaun Phillips could see the angry fan cocking his arm and gearing to throw.

The brick whistled at the front windshield and cracked the glass, momentarily sapping the buzz felt by the entire Willingboro high school football team after a 44-point beatdown of the Camden Golden Panthers. Phillips had nine sacks.

He was a monster that night, the best game Belford had seen him play. Watching a kid thrash into the backfield so easily, it wasn’t hard to understand the frustration. The brick was just an admission that they were all wrong.

Leading up to the game, Camden called Phillips out by name and number. They taunted him, called him overrated and cursed him out underneath the goal post. He never cared. He was that good.

rest - http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/01/super_bowl_2014_broncos_shaun_phillips_rode_missed _connection_to_a_homecoming.html

Dzone
01-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Great story. Impressive guy that Shaun Phillips. We really got lucky that he was available when we were needing him desperately.

Tned
01-26-2014, 06:31 PM
I've had trouble warming up to him, due to all the years with SD. However, I was very impressed with his in game leadership based on what they showed on Inside the NFL.

dogfish
01-26-2014, 06:45 PM
remember when little dougie mcdaniels tried to talk smack to philips?

:lol:

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 07:04 PM
remember when little dougie mcdaniels tried to talk smack to philips?

:lol:

"We own you!"

Joel
01-26-2014, 07:38 PM
"We own you!"
The lesson I learned from that is to do my talking AFTER the game instead of BEFORE it. Although the last few years vs. NE helped, too: I talked trash at my Pats friend before every game (including this year @NE,) but didn't before the AFCCG; witness the result. "It's only weird if it doesn't work." ;)