PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos' defense looks much better after dent removal

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 02:51 PM
One more time, the Broncos owe a big thanks to their old friend Mike McCoy. The San Diego Chargers coach came up with a doozy game plan against his former team six weeks ago. Not only did the Chargers win that Dec. 12 game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, they embarrassed Denver's defense by possessing the ball for nearly 39 minutes.

Immediately afterward, the Broncos' defensive players walked to the left side of their locker room and, as the media waited outside with pens and harsh assessments, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton called his unit together.

"I felt like it was the right time for it," Knighton said. "I said, 'If anything needs to be said, now's the time to let it on out.' "

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24993704/denver-broncos-defense-looks-much-better-after-dent

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2014, 02:55 PM
from same article:

What people might not understand is the Broncos are the only NFL team this season that had to continuously play two styles of defense within the same game. In the first half, when opponents tried to keep quarterback Peyton Manning off the field, they would run the ball. In the second half, when opponents frequently fell well behind, they would chuck it all over the field. When the Broncos gave up 48 points in a victory at Dallas this season? They were ahead 35-20 early in the third quarter before Tony Romo went wild. Denver escaped with a 51-48 victory.

Seattle's No. 1-ranked defense didn't have to go through this. The Seahawks didn't build big leads like Denver did. Their offense simply doesn't score like the Broncos. No other team in NFL history has.

"A lot of people don't understand how a defense has to learn how to play with a lead," said Brian Dawkins, a former star safety with Denver and Philadelphia who watched the Broncos' practice Friday and delivered the team's postpractice prayer. "The offense doesn't call the same plays when they're behind. They're more aggressive. So now you have to play the two- minute offense the whole second half."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24993704/denver-broncos-defense-looks-much-better-after-dent

Joel
01-26-2014, 03:54 PM
That second part's very true, and our pass D was very underrated from the start as a result. "Look how many yards they gave up; they suck." No, they just faced LOTS of pass attempts and so—since passes average more yards than runs anyway—gave up a ton of yards; the average PER PLAY was 15th best, just ABOVE NFL average. Fortunately, our run D's as good as advertised, not just due to teams abandoning the run in the second half: Not only was our Ds rushing total 7th best, its 3.9 yds/att was 10th, only a few inches worse than Seattles 7th best ranking.

It's a good group, and played amazingly well to allow just 3 pts through the first 3 full quarters in both playoff games COMBINED. One can question the quality of NEs offense and note that SD lost Matthews in the second half, but SDs offense dragged their awful D to the playoffs; it's still a fine balanced group without Matthews, and NE ran well in their first playoff game, even if it was of necessity. If our D can raise its game just a bit more just a bit longer, we could cruise in the Super Bowl against a Seattle offense that's gotten worse as it advanced in the playoffs.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Anybody else notice that the PPG went down about the same time Denver stopped fumbling the ball so much?

Joel
01-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Anybody else notice that the PPG went down about the same time Denver stopped fumbling the ball so much?
Hadn't thougt about it like that; good point.

Broncolingus
01-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Key to the game #3 behind stopping Breast Mode and protecting Manning...

...(continue) ball security.

DenBronx
01-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Ball security is huge. Our OL has really kept Manning clean down the stretch and our RBs havent fumbled. We just need to eliminate Seattle opportunities and be stingy with the ball.

But our defense has made a huge turn around. We need them to show up one more game!

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Speaking of fumbles, is this a game that Hillman dresses for? He looked solid vs Seattle in preseason.

Joel
01-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Speaking of fumbles, is this a game that Hillman dresses for? He looked solid vs Seattle in preseason.
He also fumbled going in for a TD and they ran it BACK for a TD; no 14 pt plays for Seattle, thanks. ;)

DenBronx
01-26-2014, 10:31 PM

Lol....I hope not, he makes me nervous.

Moreno and Ball should be everything we need. They have both stepped up in big ways this year.

How many can dress for the SB? Is the number higher since this is a huge game or is it still the same???

Northman
01-27-2014, 05:41 AM
Please no Hillman.

powderaddict
01-27-2014, 12:17 PM
I haven't completely written Hillman off, but I'd rather have more physical types of backs in this game. CJ Anderson is a fine 3rd option IMO.

Joel
01-27-2014, 12:21 PM
I haven't completely written Hillman off, but I'd rather have more physical types of backs in this game. CJ Anderson is a fine 3rd option IMO.
Good point on Anderson being better in a ground 'n pound coldweather scenario. I've not written Hillman off yet either, but would rather giv him another chance to boom or bust in preseason or Week 2 of next season than our first SB in 15 years. ;)

slim
01-27-2014, 12:29 PM

The 6-7 minute drives we have been reeling off in the playoffs haven't hurt either.

silkamilkamonico
01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Is Woodyard still not playing very much. I noticed Lenon in last week but not Woodyard.

Joel
01-27-2014, 01:58 PM
The 6-7 minute drives we have been reeling off in the playoffs haven't hurt either.
That's been fantastic; we need more of that, but it'll be far harder facing a top ten run D instead of SD and NEs garbage. Raise your game one last time, Broncos, and come home champions. :salute:

Is Woodyard still not playing very much. I noticed Lenon in last week but not Woodyard.
Seems like Lenon's started and Woodyard finished for a while now. Maybe it just looks like it because we ended the last months games in Prevent, or maybe they wanted wanted Lenons size when we were playing the run-heavy SD and NE offenses. If the latter, I'd expect him to start the SB, too. Definitely something to watch, especially if it works and makes them pass.

underrated29
01-27-2014, 02:50 PM
I disagree about us needing more of those kinds of drives. I would like maybe one or two at most in this game. Preferrably, the first drive of the 3rd quarter and to finish the game out. To me, against Seattle....I want to come out and light them up right away. Quickly!!! Get in their heads. Let their defense quiver and force seattle to get out of their game plan early.

The long sustained drives are nice, keep our D rested and such, but I dont want to go into the second half with the scoreboard close- or us up only by 14 and just a few possesions for each team. I want to strike fast and strike hard. Put them down from the get go. I feel those long drives would not work in our favor.

To my best knowledge Hillman was Inactive vs NE...We had CJ anderson active. I would surmise that the same would be true for Seattle.

Joel
01-27-2014, 04:56 PM
I disagree about us needing more of those kinds of drives. I would like maybe one or two at most in this game. Preferrably, the first drive of the 3rd quarter and to finish the game out. To me, against Seattle....I want to come out and light them up right away. Quickly!!! Get in their heads. Let their defense quiver and force seattle to get out of their game plan early.
Maybe early; there's a lot of good arguments for that. For one thing, they're a young team, so most of them hadn't made the playoffs till last year, let alone the SB, and they haven't had to overcome much true adversity this year: If we can land a few body blows early and jump out to an early lead, they could crack under the pressure of the NFLs biggest game, broadcast live around the world. Also, they're not built for shootouts nor comebacks; the downside of heavy run, heavy D teams is if the D can't do its job the offenses most potent weapon's sidelined.

However, there are several reasons that's a dangerous approach and could be an all-or-nothing gamble that either puts them out of it early—or US:

1) The biggest worry is they'll EXPECT our record-setting passing to launch lots of early bombs vs. a ground 'n pound team. Doing what great Ds expect seldom ends well for anyone but them.

2) Any time we swing for the fences but strike out they get the ball in good field position planning to keep it 7-8 minutes; even fresh, our D's not big, deep or GOOD enough to stop that often.

3) BECAUSE that's their game plan and we can't stop them all day, we won't get many drives; we can't afford to waste ANY and just "get 'em next time" when that may be 8:00 and a TD later.

The long sustained drives are nice, keep our D rested and such, but I dont want to go into the second half with the scoreboard close- or us up only by 14 and just a few possesions for each team. I want to strike fast and strike hard. Put them down from the get go. I feel those long drives would not work in our favor.
With their offensive/defensive style, a 14 pt lead with just a few possessions each is probably our best case scenario. It would be GREAT to sideline Lynch early, but this isn't LeSean McCoys pitiful D: Whether we score on all or none, they'll permit few possessions unless every player on what's left of our D has the best game of his career. That's the risk of going for broke early: If we have many three-and-outs, or even run 7-8 plays that only burn 2:00, they'll burn the rest before we get the ball again. Our D may make a few quick stops but, IMHO, can't make half a dozen.

Again, IMHO, the best way to neutralize the ball control running game they'll use to try and keep our offense impotently sidelined is to do it to them FIRST! If it's important we make all our few possessions count, it's CRITICAL for Seattle, because their offense limits total possesions of BOTH teams, and isn't built to gain many yards at once or score very often. If most of our drives end in TDs and nearly all get points, that won't put them down early, but will put them down HARDER. If we're up 20 at the start of the 4th it doesn't matter WHY: Lynch is a non-factor, period.

The difference is if we scored those points beating them at their own game, tearing up a D that's 7th in rushing average rather than attacking one that's 1st in passing average, all their ground 'n pound style will have done is help us screw them out of possessions. Even though we had only TWO long drives in the AFCCG, they and NEs response are textbook examples of what I mean: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201401190den.htm

Leading just 3-0 on the second scrimmage play of the second quarter, we spent HALF of it (7:04) driving down to the NE 11, called 3 plays before a 1 yd run set up 1st and G at the 1, then needed only the first of our 3 tries to punch it in for the TD. Moreno had one huge RUN for 28 yds (the backbreaker that put us on their 11,) but only 3 more of those 15 plays was >10 yds (and one of those was another ground 'n pound run.) From 3-0 Denver at the start of the 2nd to 10-0 Denver with 7:55 till halftime.

It gets better though, because then NE got the ball, and the 2nd quarter was half gone, but they still had the rest to make up some of our two-score lead before the half. They spent 5 minutes nickel and diming downfield, but finally did it with a FG; unfortunately for them, they then had to give back the ball, and THEN we unleashed a quick strike attack in the halfs final 3:00 to put us back up by 10: Halftime; NE got points on its only possession of the quarter, but they didn't help.

When the next half opened the same way, it ended NEs season: Denver surpassed the 15 play 7:04 drive that had been our longest ALL YEAR, now going 80 yds in 14 plays and 7:05 for a TD and a three-score lead. Here the "long" play was 18 yds (Manning taking advantage of Logan by going right back to Decker immediately after they were somehow called for offsetting PI fouls on EACH OTHER.) Only ONE other was >10 yds. This time, NE's 5 minute drive forced them to go for it on 4th down; Knighton sack, Denver ball with <20:00 to play, up 17: GAME OVER.

Call me crazy, but those two drives won the AFCCG and sent us to the SB, so I think more of the same will WIN it. We'll still have to at least slow Lynch and Wilson; we do have to kickoff after every score (part of the danger of quick strikes: They don't help if the other guys answer right back and exhaust/cripple your D doing it.)

Neither of us will get the ball much, but if we force them to score a TD in 3:00 against a fresh healthy D the few times they DO get it, they won't win the SB with a Fail Mary. THAT offense would be lucky to score 17 pts like that, so it's more important we score consistently while resting/protecting our D and tiring theirs than produce a blowout when it could by the WRONG team.

As always, just MHO; your approach DOES have many merits of its own, and would make most of the game far more relaxed and enjoyable, but it could be for the wrong team. I'd rather have a likely win than a risky blowout; I guess it's just the Foxball coming out in me. Even if we want the blowout though, the more we run, the less they expect passes from a QB, WRs and offense famous for it; the pass rush slows to watch our backs and the SS moves into the box. We ran a LOT on both those AFCCG TD drives, but SCORED on a 1 and 3 yd pass.

To my best knowledge Hillman was Inactive vs NE...We had CJ anderson active. I would surmise that the same would be true for Seattle.
Now that you mention it, I believe Simms or Nantz said Hillman was Inactive vs. NE (may've been SD, or both) and it makes sense that wouldn't change unless Morenos ribs are VERY sore.

Tned
01-27-2014, 05:00 PM

In the two playoff games, Lennon has been in on 45% of the defensive plays, and Woodyard 41%.

The last four games of the regular season Woodyard varied from 43% to 59% or so of Def snaps, and Lenon 12%-23% the last four games. So, looks they gave Lenon more snaps, and Woodyard a little less in the playoffs.

Joel
01-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Also in reference to the AFCCG game: It needn't be TDs every time, or even necessarily points, if we limit chances for an offense that usually needs lots of time and several drives to score.

Our last two AFCCG scores were BOTH FGs, yet each was the exact OPPOSITE of what we need: When Knighton sacked Brady on 4th down at our 39, we had a short field, so only needed a couple conversions to get into Praters Mile High range; instead we drove down to the 1 and THEN he kicked for just 3 pts but after burning 5:18, leaving NE just 12:00 to score 20 pts.

Our NEXT (and last) score was also a FG, but absolutely horrible: After Brady led NE down for their second score of the game, we went incomplete, 37 yd pass, 1 yd run, 1 yd run, incomplete, FG. 3 pts again, and our lead was back up to 16, but it was a VERY different 3 pts that only burned (or singed) 2:18 in 5 plays; NE got it back down just two scores with half a quarter left.

Drives like that first FG drive will win us a Super Bowl even if they don't score TDs; they don't even necessarily need to score AT ALL if we have even a small lead. Drives like the second will kill us.

Joel
01-27-2014, 05:13 PM
In the two playoff games, Lennon has been in on 45% of the defensive plays, and Woodyard 41%.

The last four games of the regular season Woodyard varied from 43% to 59% or so of Def snaps, and Lenon 12%-23% the last four games. So, looks they gave Lenon more snaps, and Woodyard a little less in the playoffs.
That makes sense; my impression from commentary is they like Lenon more against the run (which we knew would be SD and NEs primary attack,) and that also makes sense given he's bigger.

When we KNOW a pass is coming though, I can't help thinking Woodyards experience at Will makes him more valuable than Lenon, but that's just me.

CoachChaz
01-27-2014, 05:41 PM
I think the loss of Von makes us better against the run as well. We seem to be a much better run defense with a "regular" SAM on the field. Add more of a run stopper in the middle and it actually works to our advantage against a run-oriented team. Pass rush suffers, but I dont know that we worry about their pass offense until the 4th quarter.

underrated29
01-27-2014, 05:43 PM
With big vick could contain the run better and we saw more wes and his speed. With big vick out we put the big man lennon in to offset that.

On a side note (an unimportant one) Wes woodyard was in my dream last night. We were buddies and were recollecting of the first time I met him in real life and got his autograph for a bunch of people here.

TXBRONC
01-27-2014, 05:46 PM
I think the loss of Von makes us better against the run as well. We seem to be a much better run defense with a "regular" SAM on the field. Add more of a run stopper in the middle and it actually works to our advantage against a run-oriented team. Pass rush suffers, but I dont know that we worry about their pass offense until the 4th quarter.

If Denver is able to contain Lynch and not turn the ball over I like our their chances. I don't think the Broncos need to score 40 points to win this game.

Joel
01-27-2014, 06:05 PM
If Denver is able to contain Lynch and not turn the ball over I like our their chances. I don't think the Broncos need to score 40 points to win this game.
No, we can win with half that if we beat them at their own game of keep away so we don't all miss Big Vick too much. Plus when we pass they'll have to honor PA and can't drop both safeties deep. Ball control can bite them in the butt if we jump out to a huge lead, but ALSO if we help them limit THEMSELVES to just 5-6 drives. Without turnovers, Seattle's not the kind of team that scores fast or often; we want lots of drives, but they NEED them, hopefully more than they realize.

Broncolingus
01-30-2014, 06:37 PM
...for those who didn't see on Meck's FB page...

...and the offense's of the Chargers and Patsies were every bit as good as the 69ers and Aint's...

Joel
01-30-2014, 08:28 PM
...for those who didn't see on Meck's FB page...

...and the offense's of the Chargers and Patsies were every bit as good as the 69ers and Aint's...
The Chargers, maybe, but NE had nothing like the receiving weapons NO and SF did, and Brady was no threat to break off a 58 yd run to set up a TD like Kaep did in the NFCCG (though Unrein did manage to let Brady run right past him up the gut for a TD in the AFCCG.) However, the biggest factor was probably that we had our longest drive of the season against SD, and bettered it twice against NE, because neither team (especially NE) had much defense; between the two of them the only respectable defensive facet was SDs pass rush.

Seattles D is a lot better than either of them but, more importantly in this context, so were both defenses they faced in the playoffs, which makes it harder for Seattles plodding ball control offense to keep their OWN D on the sideline where their stats aren't rising.

Our D and running game improved our last few games, again in the playoffs and again in the AFCCG, while Seattles offense got worse the last few games, worse still in the playoffs and was pretty lifeless till the fourth quarter on the NFCCG. We do have to look at the respective competition though. Seattles last 4 season games included 3 good teams (their whole division) while our last 4 had 3 of the worst (Tennessee, Houston and Oakland.) In the playoffs they had two more good teams and we had two defenseless ones, one of them offensively one-dimensional.

I'm not saying our respective playoff performances don't matter, just that there's more to it than "our D outperformed theirs in the playoffs."

NightTerror218
01-31-2014, 12:02 AM
I fear the WR might get injured. Seattle throttled welker and knocked him out of game when he was a Pat. I think they will be head hunting with big hits to our WEs.

I expect a lot of no huddle offense this game. Something seattle has not faced much of. They also sub defensively a lot the no huddle will prevent that and help keep defense off balance. All it takes is manning getting the guys on defense he wants and then preventing subs.

Joel
01-31-2014, 12:30 AM
I fear the WR might get injured. Seattle throttled welker and knocked him out of game when he was a Pat. I think they will be head hunting with big hits to our WEs.
I almost expect it, especially with Welker being so small, already having two concussions this season and Thurmond (IIRC; I know it was one of their DBs) leaping to agree with Belicheats ludicious accusations in a transparent attempt to divert attention from and simultaneously justifying their thuggish play. Note to Richard Sherman: You're not a thug because you're from Compton, you're a thug because you're a thug. I still hope against hope the refs will rein that in and not let Seattle bludgeon their way to a championship, but that hope seems faint.

My only real hope there is that I think refs often cut less rather than more slack for groups perceived as elite, under the logic the best should be able to play well without bending the rules.

I expect a lot of no huddle offense this game. Something seattle has not faced much of. They also sub defensively a lot the no huddle will prevent that and help keep defense off balance. All it takes is manning getting the guys on defense he wants and then preventing subs.
As much as they sub and as much quality depth as they have, we may be obligated to go no huddle. The less Clark's forced to deal with Avril the happier I'll be.

Broncolingus
01-31-2014, 08:59 AM
...anyway, Seahawks and 49ers offenses aren't any more threatening than New England's and San Diego's - particularly in the playoffs this year...

...so long as Denver's defense keeps playing solid football like they have in the playoffs...

...and Denver's offense protects both Manning and the ball, keeping the defense out of bad situations...

...no reason Denver doesn't win this game.