PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Xs and Os piece on Denver's receivers

zbeg
01-25-2014, 04:08 AM
Written by a Seahawks blogger, no less. It really goes into each of the receiver's strengths and goes beyond "Denver's passing attack is prolific," showing the techniques that DT and the others use to eviscerate defensive backs. Thomas has about 35 lbs on Sherman and is faster, so Sherman will have his hands full if that's the assignment he gets.

Also, in that second Jerry Rice video, watch those cuts on those shake patterns. You could slice a tomato on those things. In case you forgot why Rice was so unreal good back in his day.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/24/5340856/super-bowl-2014-peyton-manning-offense-receivers-playbook-demaryius-thomas

Dreadnought
01-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Written by a Seahawks blogger, no less. It really goes into each of the receiver's strengths and goes beyond "Denver's passing attack is prolific," showing the techniques that DT and the others use to eviscerate defensive backs. Thomas has about 35 lbs on Sherman and is faster, so Sherman will have his hands full if that's the assignment he gets.

Also, in that second Jerry Rice video, watch those cuts on those shake patterns. You could slice a tomato on those things. In case you forgot why Rice was so unreal good back in his day.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/24/5340856/super-bowl-2014-peyton-manning-offense-receivers-playbook-demaryius-thomas

That was outstanding. More than ever I think in the aggregate that this is the best assembly of receivers ever put together on the same football team. The numbers bear this out too, and the piece does a good job explaining just why this is so.

gregbroncs
01-25-2014, 03:45 PM
That was outstanding. More than ever I think in the aggregate that this is the best assembly of receivers ever put together on the same football team. The numbers bear this out too, and the piece does a good job explaining just why this is so.And that article did not even go into how the Broncos use Moreno out of the backfield both receiving and running.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2014, 04:52 PM
And that article did not even go into how the Broncos use Moreno out of the backfield both receiving and running.

Yeah. he mentioned it at the beginning, but then didn't continue with the discussion later on like he did the other 4.

Joel
01-25-2014, 08:09 PM
It was a nice piece; a good shot of the big picture missing no important details. The annotated gifs were very well done, and they and the videos were very illustrative.

Learning something important was the best part for me: I'd never thought about the fact the X WR MUST be able to beat jams because he's rarely flanking or in the slot, but ALWAYS on the LoS, where the CB's right in his face at the snap. There's just no way around that unless 1) the slot man comes to the line, 2) there's a TE on his side or 3) the tackle reports as eligible (in which case someone else on the OTHER side must be on the LoS and ineligible, because the rules require exactly 7, no more nor less, with only ends eligible.)

That's a critical difference between the X and Z WR. I could be pedantic about a personal peeve and say split ends and flankers are technically the same player on BOTH sides, the sole difference being whether they're on the LoS (i.e. split end) or flanking a TE/slot WR (the second of which is technically a split end then; he's only a slot WR if recessed in a slot, not flush with the line.) Unless beside AND TO THE REAR, it's not flanking, and a TE technically only qualifies as such if he's TIGHT, rather than SPLIT. That's what a pedant would say, but since I'm not one.... ;)

Joel
01-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Yeah. he mentioned it at the beginning, but then didn't continue with the discussion later on like he did the other 4.
Well, I think it was supposed to be about WRs, as such, with Orange Julius included because that's nearly always how we use him even if he is a TE.