PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Pride Flows Deep for Montee Ball

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2014, 02:24 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. --No one could have been happier about being drafted by the Broncos than running back Montee Ball was last year. He grew up bleeding orange and blue with a Broncos logo on his bedroom wall. He idolized Terrell Davis.

But Ball's father might have been even more ecstatic. It was his Bronco fandom that influenced Montee as an elementary-schooler in O'Fallon, Mo., west of St. Louis.

"He was never a Rams fan. He didn't like the Chiefs. So he went with the Broncos," Ball recalled. "John Elway, Terrell Davis, all of them, he kind of loved that. A nice little era that went on there."

He's been understandably proud of his son's accomplishments every step of his journey. But that pride might have reached an apex Sunday, as the young Ball powered through the Patriots defense, ran four times in succession set up a game-ending kneeldown that sealed the Broncos' first AFC championship in 15 years.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Pride-Flows-Deep-for-Montee-Ball/ef03133b-f29a-46d9-957d-f1db7187f6f9

slim
01-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Love the way Montee runs.

#badass

underrated29
01-24-2014, 02:39 PM
I LOVE ME SOME MONTEE BALL!!! Seriously, we all know how much I like Knowshon but I like Montee even more. I have rewatched a few of our games recently and this kid runs exactly the way I like my RBs to run. The game has not quite hit him yet. Its not the slowing down part. I think as a rb the game is slowed down for them already. Its like dread and the matrix. Difference between knowing the path and walking the path. Im telling you- Montees breakout is coming and its coming soon! He is going to have one of those games- like what shonne green had in his rookie year (playoffs too maybe) where he just busts run after run and totally demolishes the defense. (Only he wont suck ass after that like shonne green did)

Joel
01-24-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure if it's sad or awesome our backup RB in this SB grew up idolizing the starting RB in our LAST SB.

BroncoJoe
01-24-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure if it's sad or awesome our backup RB in this SB grew up idolizing the starting RB in our LAST SB.

What a surprise. Joel bringing a Debbie Downer attitude with his post.

That aside, I'm all of the sudden a HUGE Montee Ball fan.

Northman
01-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Both Ball and Moreno have done an EXCELLENT job this year. Ball just seems to be getting better and better which is what we want and what this team needs in the long run.

slim
01-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Both Ball and Moreno have done an EXCELLENT job this year. Ball just seems to be getting better and better which is what we want and what this team needs in the long run.

I have a feeling he is going to break one. He has been close several times.

Joel
01-24-2014, 04:37 PM

Like I said, it's sad OR AWESOME that a key RB on this SB team grew up wanting to be like the star RB on our last SB team. Kinda full circle, y'know? Once again, I can't say anything without the Gotcha Patrol pouncing; what a surprise.

Northman
01-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Well, to be fair what exactly is sad about it? I guess i dont understand that part of your comment. Maybe that was what BJ was getting at.

BroncoJoe
01-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Like I said, it's sad OR AWESOME that a key RB on this SB team grew up wanting to be like the star RB on our last SB team. Kinda full circle, y'know? Once again, I can't say anything without the Gotcha Patrol pouncing; what a surprise.

Point is, why even bring up the negative?

Because it's how you roll.

GEM
01-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Well, to be fair what exactly is sad about it? I guess i dont understand that part of your comment. Maybe that was what BJ was getting at.

Because it's been so long since we've been to one. (Tell that to a Chiefs fan)

FFS Joel....we're going to the Super Bowl. Cheer the **** up, dude.

Dzone
01-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Most of us on this board werent even born at the time

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-24-2014, 05:45 PM

That would make the vast majority of them under the age of 15.

slim
01-24-2014, 05:47 PM
I hope there isn't anyone here that is under 15.

chazoe60
01-24-2014, 05:47 PM

my guess is that most of us on this board were drinking beer while watching both those SBs, or maybe I'm just old.

slim
01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
my guess is that most of us on this board were drinking beer while watching both those SBs, or maybe I'm just old.

Yes and yes

Joel
01-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Because it's been so long since we've been to one. (Tell that to a Chiefs fan)
Exactly. It's sad in that respect but awesome in that Terrell Davis inspired the rookie RB who could help us win our first SB since those where he cheered us on as a kid.

My favorite story about Ball this year was how he was over the moon at meeting Terrell Davis after the draft, and asked him for all kinds of advice, to which the response was that he should learn how to block very well, because that's how Davis ensured himself lots of playing time. What better advice could there be for Peyton Mannings RB?

FFS Joel....we're going to the Super Bowl. Cheer the **** up, dude.
Oh, I'm cheery, but I know it won't be a cakewalk any more than the season was. I also know it's been too long since our last SB, and Manning has few left. Most of Seattles team is young enough they'll get many more chances if they don't lose too many guys to FA (or doping suspensions,) but we MUST get this done NOW.

As for talking to Chiefs fans about how long it's been, the only one I knew even online was KCL, and she hasn't been around for a while.

DenBronx
01-24-2014, 07:12 PM

I really don't get why you have to be such a downer sometimes. Almost every rookie who comes into the NFL was also a fan of a team or player at some point. TD was idolized by many hopefull RBs. Davis was such a role model and just an all around class act. He also broke records and would have shattered more had he stayed healthy. Not sure what your beef is or why you are so negitive on little things, especially at the peak of our success since 1998.

Just say it, this team isn't good enough for you.

DenBronx
01-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Now, I must say, Ball has been a huge suprise down the stretch. He didn't look as good earlier in the season but has really seemed to catch on now. Just think he needed to adjust to the speed of the NFL and has seemed to jell with the offense.

Him and Moreno have differant styles, which imo makes this offense even better. Ball can play smash mouth football and get those tough yards, one and cut style. Moreno on the other hand seems to be Mannings favorite back for his style of offense catching passes out of the backfield. These two guys will keep Seattle second guessing.

Joel
01-24-2014, 07:36 PM
I really don't get why you have to be such a downer sometimes. Almost every rookie who comes into the NFL was also a fan of a team or player at some point. TD was idolized by many hopefull RBs. Davis was such a role model and just an all around class act. He also broke records and would have shattered more had he stayed healthy. Not sure what your beef is or why you are so negitive on little things, especially at the peak of our success since 1998.
In what way was I negative on the '98 team? Um, gee, I wish they had... lost no games instead of just 2 meaningless ones; then again, the list of teams that won 17 games is pretty short and all of them always come up in every discussion of which team was the best of all time (which makes it even more amusing that the only team to win 18 NEVER does.)

How did "I'm not sure if it's sad or awesome" turn into "It sure is sad"?

Just say it, this team isn't good enough for you.
Well, I wish half our front seven, and arguably its three best players, weren't out for the season, and I really wanted to see Chris Harris dominate his man in the SB. But we made it to the Big Dance and are one win away from a world championship so, yeah, it's good enough. Just because it's not flawless doesn't mean it's not good enough, and just because I don't uniformly praise every aspect of the team with every word out of my mouth doesn't make me any less a fan or mean I don't think they're good enough.

I'm sorry my lenses are clear instead of orange. Actually, no, I'm not; fantasy football is grossly inferior to reality.

DenBronx
01-24-2014, 07:43 PM
In what way was I negative on the '98 team? Um, gee, I wish they had... lost no games instead of just 2 meaningless ones; then again, the list of teams that won 17 games is pretty short and all of them always come up in every discussion of which team was the best of all time (which makes it even more amusing that the only team to win 18 NEVER does.)

How did "I'm not sure if it's sad or awesome" turn into "It sure is sad"?

Well, I wish half our front seven, and arguably its three best players, weren't out for the season, and I really wanted to see Chris Harris dominate his man in the SB. But we made it to the Big Dance and are one win away from a world championship so, yeah, it's good enough. Just because it's not flawless doesn't mean it's not good enough, and just because I don't uniformly praise every aspect of the team with every word out of my mouth doesn't make me any less a fan or mean I don't think they're good enough.

I'm sorry my lenses are clear instead of orange. Actually, no, I'm not; fantasy football is grossly inferior to reality.

I didn't say you were negitive about the 98 team. You were negitive about Monte having Davis as his role model. And in what way could it even be "sad"? THAT is the point because it is pure AWESOMENESS knowing Ball grew up a Broncos fan and idolized TD.

If there was just ONE game you should ever ever evvvvvvvver have orange colored lenses then it is for the SuperBowl. This team was the best to come out of the AFC. Believe in your team!

Joel
01-24-2014, 08:04 PM
I didn't say you were negitive about the 98 team. You were negitive about Monte having Davis as his role model. And in what way could it even be "sad"? THAT is the point because it is pure AWESOMENESS knowing Ball grew up a Broncos fan and idolized TD.
My bad: I missed the key word "SINCE '98.) Sorry. It IS awesome, but would only be purely so if we'd made a SB, or at least >1 AFCCG (a nationally broadcast humiliation) "since '98."

If there was just ONE game you should ever ever evvvvvvvver have orange colored lenses then it is for the SuperBowl. This team was the best to come out of the AFC. Believe in your team!
Maybe that '05 season is the problem; after Pitt knocked out Indy it looked like the SB was ours to lose—so we did just that before even getting there. I'd certainly rather play THOSE Seahawks than these. This team just always finds a way to keep me on the edge of my seat, even when utterly dominating SD and NE in playoff games only to lose one of my favorite Broncos and let SD back in during the final moments, then do the same with NE by going into Prevent WAY too soon, and playing it as badly as ever.

It's all well to say, "believe in your team," but they've made a habit of sorely testing my faith. Even in the regular season NE game—the ONE game all year when I should've been able to say, "this is over," at HALFTIME—I couldn't; I was still worried and, as it turns out, rightly so. It's a great team that frequently underperforms; we can't afford that vs. ANOTHER great team in a SB.

DenBronx
01-24-2014, 08:21 PM
My bad: I missed the key word "SINCE '98.) Sorry. It IS awesome, but would only be purely so if we'd made a SB, or at least >1 AFCCG (a nationally broadcast humiliation) "since '98."

Maybe that '05 season is the problem; after Pitt knocked out Indy it looked like the SB was ours to lose—so we did just that before even getting there. I'd certainly rather play THOSE Seahawks than these. This team just always finds a way to keep me on the edge of my seat, even when utterly dominating SD and NE in playoff games only to lose one of my favorite Broncos and let SD back in during the final moments, then do the same with NE by going into Prevent WAY too soon, and playing it as badly as ever.

It's all well to say, "believe in your team," but they've made a habit of sorely testing my faith. Even in the regular season NE game—the ONE game all year when I should've been able to say, "this is over," at HALFTIME—I couldn't; I was still worried and, as it turns out, rightly so. It's a great team that frequently underperforms; we can't afford that vs. ANOTHER great team in a SB.

I agree with the second part of your statement but that was the AFCCG. And we had Jake Plummer as the QB going against a very solid defense. Pitts defense was nasty that year. This offense we have now Joel, is the best offense in history and if we win on Feb 2nd no one will be able to argue that point. Alot of us were nervous when we played the Pats last week as well and didnt know what to expect from our defense. We know our offense is fine but we didn't know if our D would step up and it did.

Now we are in the final game and it's time to ride.

Joel
01-24-2014, 08:45 PM
I agree with the second part of your statement but that was the AFCCG. And we had Jake Plummer as the QB going against a very solid defense. Pitts defense was nasty that year. This offense we have now Joel, is the best offense in history and if we win on Feb 2nd no one will be able to argue that point. Alot of us were nervous when we played the Pats last week as well and didnt know what to expect from our defense. We know our offense is fine but we didn't know if our D would step up and it did.

Now we are in the final game and it's time to ride.
I really think it's so finely balanced it's anyones game. The offense we're facing is better than the one-dimensional one we faced last week (though maybe not the one from the previous week) and the defense is infinitely better. Their defense and our offense can (and do) both legitimately say of the other, "they haven't faced anyone like us this year." If our line plays as well as it has the last month I like our chances but, except for the Texans, the defenses they've faced the past month were pitiful compared to Seattles.

There's an almost infinite list of "if this, then this" things to be said about this game though, and I AM sincerely elated we earned the right to continue debating it. If we win I'll be bouncing off the walls, in large part BECAUSE the teams had me on the edge of my seat every week all year. This isn't like '98, when I heard someone say, "I wish I had someone to bet on the Falcons with" and took $200 from him with a smile and without a second thought.

If we win, I'll be ecstatic and have another "SB Champs" hat to buy, but I won't set myself up for the abysmal lows that come with expecting a SB undelivered.

Simple Jaded
01-25-2014, 01:29 AM
In one thread it's "boo hoo the Broncos bypassed the lengthy rebuilding process to try and win a SB in the next 2-3 years" and in the next it's thread "boo hoo it's been so long since the Broncos played in the SB".

Consistently inconsistent.

Joel
01-25-2014, 02:26 AM
In one thread it's "boo hoo the Broncos bypassed the lengthy rebuilding process to try and win a SB in the next 2-3 years" and in the next it's thread "boo hoo it's been so long since the Broncos played in the SB".

Consistently inconsistent.
That thread is not this thread, BUT I'm perfectly happy we're in a SB now; if we hadn't even made an AFCCG yet though there would've been Hell to pay, and even if we win next week we could still crash hard when Manning retires in a year or two. In the mean time, yes, having another Lombardi would soothe a lot of those wounds because, yes, it HAS been too long since our last SB.

I'd rather be contenders for the next 10 than just get one now, but the two aren't mutually exclusive and a bird in the hand's worth two in the bush.

Now: Please don't drag that debate into yet another thread so everyone can raise Hell about how I won't stop talking about it.

Dzone
01-25-2014, 05:30 AM
I hope there isn't anyone here that is under 15.
I hear ya there bud. Thats why I try and avoid arguments on here because one would feel stupid if he found out he was arguing with a precocious 8th grader. lol

Joel
01-25-2014, 07:51 AM
I hear ya there bud. Thats why I try and avoid arguments on here because one would feel stupid if he found out he was arguing with a precocious 8th grader. lol
Well, you know what they say; arguing online is like competing in the Special Olympics. ;)

Dzone
01-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Well, you know what they say; arguing online is like competing in the Special Olympics. ;)
LOL...now thats funny. I have often thought that maybe this person I am arguing with online is not a grown man, but maybe just a smarter than average 12 year old boy or girl. It's possible. You never know.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2014, 12:01 PM
I'd rather be contenders for the next 10 than just get one now, but the two aren't mutually exclusive and a bird in the hand's worth two in the bush.

We are just going to have to disagree on this one. A Super Bowl win is history, being a contender is forgotten.

I don't think we have really sunk to the level of never being "contenders"....except when McD was here. We aren't the browns, the Chiefs, the Bills, or the Bengals. It wasn't that long ago that the Seahawks were in our division and were ALWAYS the last team. Right now, it's bothering the Chiefs that the SEAHAWKS (of all teams) are actually going to be in as many SUper Bowls as they have been, and could match their total wins (but won't).

MOtorboat
01-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Everyone gets a ribbon?

I want my ******* ribbon.

Joel
01-25-2014, 02:11 PM
We are just going to have to disagree on this one. A Super Bowl win is history, being a contender is forgotten.

I don't think we have really sunk to the level of never being "contenders"....except when McD was here. We aren't the browns, the Chiefs, the Bills, or the Bengals. It wasn't that long ago that the Seahawks were in our division and were ALWAYS the last team. Right now, it's bothering the Chiefs that the SEAHAWKS (of all teams) are actually going to be in as many SUper Bowls as they have been, and could match their total wins (but won't).
Actually, I agree with that first part: A SB's forever and would make it all worthwhile. What I dreaded was the real possibility we'd still be awaiting our first game-to-get-to-the-game now. That was scary itself, but far more so for what it would've evoked from many fans, the venom that would've been spat at everyone from Bowlen down to the waterboy. It was a serious possibility.

Joel
01-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Everyone gets a ribbon?

I want my ******* ribbon.
No, but I skirted the line enough with the first part of the quote; google it. ;)

slim
01-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Mo's arguments have retard strength. Dude is scary strong when he is online.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Actually, I agree with that first part: A SB's forever and would make it all worthwhile. What I dreaded was the real possibility we'd still be awaiting our first game-to-get-to-the-game now. That was scary itself, but far more so for what it would've evoked from many fans, the venom that would've been spat at everyone from Bowlen down to the waterboy. It was a serious possibility.

What are you talking about? You think the fans would have treated Bowlen on down with spat and venom had we not reached the Super Bowl??? That's ridiculous. I don't think MOST of the fans are nearly as "disappointed" in the Manning signing as you are.

Joel
01-25-2014, 03:14 PM
What are you talking about? You think the fans would have treated Bowlen on down with spat and venom had we not reached the Super Bowl??? That's ridiculous. I don't think MOST of the fans are nearly as "disappointed" in the Manning signing as you are.
No, I think they would've if we hadn't reached the AFCCG in 2 seasons of Manning. The narrative writes itself: "Why are we paying $20 million/year for a broken down QB pushing 40 when he's lost more playoff games than he's won, can't win in the cold and all our home games are at MILE HIGH?!" If we STILL hadn't been to an AFCCG since '05? I thank God that didn't happen, and not just because we're one win from a world championship for the first time in 15 years.

That's to answer a direct question. I should've left at "this thread is not that thread" and ignored the perennial accusation: Sorry I didn't; I won't mention again in this thread even if prompted.

chazoe60
01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
This thread too?

slim
01-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Super Bowl!

slim
01-25-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Seattle's running game. Sure they average 20 more yards on the ground than Denver does, but that's only because they ran the ball 509 times this year. Denver only ran it 461 times. Both teams average slightly more than 4 yards/carry.

Of course one team can throw the ball as well :hi:

slim
01-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Another interesting note. Both teams are giving up 3.9 yards/carry on defense.

MOtorboat
01-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Super Bowl!

Super Bowl?

slim
01-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Super Bowl?

Super Bowl!

MOtorboat
01-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Bowl!

Estupendo Cuenco!

slim
01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Estupendo Cuenco!

Siêu Bát!

chazoe60
01-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Supero Bowlo

chazoe60
01-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Superus Bowlus

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 05:46 PM
This thread too?

Chazoe, we have to do something to whip these people into shape. This crap is getting ridiculous!

MOtorboat
01-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Superus Bowlus

You know, Google has a translate feature and you can translate to actual Latin...

Eximius Crater

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Tom Brady is going to the Super Bowel, if you know what I mean.

slim
01-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Tom Brady is the Super Bowel.

slim
01-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Seriously though, I rewatched the game last night and saw the interview he did right after the game. He is a class act.

chazoe60
01-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Seriously though, I rewatched the game last night and saw the interview he did right after the game. He is class act.

He could teach his coach a thing or two about not looking like a whiney **** after a loss.

Joel
01-25-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Seattle's running game. Sure they average 20 more yards on the ground than Denver does, but that's only because they ran the ball 509 times this year. Denver only ran it 461 times. Both teams average slightly more than 4 yards/carry.

It's a great point, though double-edged: Their passing totals are also low because they didn't NEED to throw much; when they did they averaged more per play than WE did setting records.

Lest anyone worry too much about our supposedly awful pass D, turns out its per-play average ranked 15th: Denvers horrible pass D is actually (if barely) ABOVE average.

Seattle runs out the clock a lot, so their rushing totals are higher; we play Prevent a lot, so our allowed-passing totals are higher. Both are more effects than causes.

Of course, we run out the clock a lot, too, so our totals look far better than our 20th ranked yds/att actually is; we MUST run better than that in the SB, because our D is built for speed over size and can wear down fast, and can't afford any more injuries if it didn't. Sustained drives, for sooo many reasons (but that and obviating Lynch are the big ones.)

What encourages me most about this matchup is still that, in the playoffs, our overall D and rushing offense progressively improved while their offense progressively deteriorated. Some of that's the quality of opponents (though SDs offense is still very good even without Matthews, yet did nothing till they got to run 2:00 drills vs. our Prevent minus Chris Harris.) I don't expect to break lots of tackles, but hope their inexperience gets them to buy their own BS and implode, something I believe we're finally past.

broncofaninfla
01-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Given Moreno's bruised ribs I'd say there is a good chance Ball will be more involved than he has been. I have faith in the kid, he's been running hard and I haven't noticed any drop off in pass protection when he's playing. His physical style might make him a better option at RB and against the Seahawks.

Joel
01-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Given Moreno's bruised ribs I'd say there is a good chance Ball will be more involved than he has been. I have faith in the kid, he's been running hard and I haven't noticed any drop off in pass protection when he's playing. His physical style might make him a better option at RB and against the Seahawks.
He hasn't fumbled in a while, and has gotten better at pass blocking, which were the two biggest things missing, IMHO. I don't think his pass blockings on par with Knowshon yet though, so I hope they'll both be in good shape come game day. I can't help thinking about a possibility that would be ironic and tragic, but it's so awful I don't even want to say it.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Knock on wood, Joel!

Dzone
01-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Seriously though, I rewatched the game last night and saw the interview he did right after the game. He is a class act.
Brady? I didnt see it but I saw Kaepernick being a smug douchebag in the press conf after they lost to seattle. I thought his parents raised him better than that

TXBRONC
01-26-2014, 08:45 AM

I've liked him all along but now I like him even more.

Joel
01-26-2014, 02:52 PM
You know, Google has a translate feature and you can translate to actual Latin...

Eximius Crater
Well done, but... it sounds like severe facial scarring:

"I'm gonna ask the Homecoming Queen to prom."

"Give it up, dude; she's a knockout and you've got that eczema crater."

Knock on wood, Joel!
Are you kidding? At this point every piece of wood in the apartment has extreme craters; has for most of the season, actually. I don't think I've been seated for a single Broncos PLAY since @NE.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
My house suffers from Eximius Crater from all the knocking on wood.

slim
01-27-2014, 01:05 PM

Yep.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/mythbusting-seattle-doesnt-have-a-great-running-game