PDA

View Full Version : super bowl snowstorm?

ShaneFalco
01-23-2014, 08:45 PM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/01/23/super-bowl-snowstorm-one-weather-model-suggests-something-major/

Super Bowl Snowstorm? One Model Suggests Something ‘Major’ On Way

BroncoWave
01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Accuweather has it being in the 40s and cloudy that day with light wind. The truth is, no one freaking knows this far out. You won't have anything accurate until a couple of days away.

DenBronx
01-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Accuweather has it being in the 40s and cloudy that day with light wind. The truth is, no one freaking knows this far out. You won't have anything accurate until a couple of days away.

I hope that's the case.

I would rather it cloudy than sunny. It helps keep the sun out of the eyes of the WRs and returners.

If there is a snowstorm then this game is going to favor Seattle because it doesn't help our passing attack.

BroncoJoe
01-23-2014, 09:14 PM
I hope that's the case.

I would rather it cloudy than sunny. It helps keep the sun out of the eyes of the WRs and returners.

If there is a snowstorm then this game is going to favor Seattle because it doesn't help our passing attack.

I thought that too, but some on the NFLN we're saying it actually favors the offense and the receivers.

Tned
01-23-2014, 09:15 PM

A week ago they were calling for sunny and in the high forties this week in Arkansas. Instead, we've had highs below freezing and lows in the low teens and single digits.

Tned
01-23-2014, 09:17 PM
I thought that too, but some on the NFLN we're saying it actually favors the offense and the receivers.

Wind is bad, snow often favors offense, because the runners/receivers know where they are going, where the defenders have to treat and do it with slick footing.

tomjonesrocks
01-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Seattle must be praying for a severe storm...

Really sucks.

Dzone
01-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Yes, hope for some snow with not much wind. Heard someone on talk radio saying that snow would favor the offense. If a defender slips and falls, it could be a touchdown. If a receiver falls down, Manning can throw to someone else.

pulse
01-24-2014, 12:45 AM
I hope that's the case.

Wait, what? The kickoff is at 6:30 PM EDT. If you see what looks like sunlight, you better be worried about more than a football game, because that's not sunlight you're seeing....

EastCoastBronco
01-24-2014, 08:17 AM
The crappiest conditions we played in all year were in that game in Foxboro.
IMHO, we lost because our receivers dropped a lot of balls in that game...if I remember correctly.
A lot of third down conversions were missed and drives were stalled because of those dropped passes.
They also weren't playing as "mean" as they are now.
Demarius Thomas and Decker especially have impressed me the last 2 games with their aggression after they catch the ball.
Manning will get the ball where it needs to be in whatever type of weather rears its head.
If our receivers execute and play as smart and aggressively as they have the past 2 games Seattle won't be able to stop us.
We totally outmatch them.

As for handling "Beast Mode".
We have a guy called "Pot Roast" that will cure him...;-)

Dzone
01-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Will Cold, Snow, Wind Mess With the Big Game?
http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/super-bowl-48-forecast-new-jersey-20140122

pulse
01-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Though we're still 8 days out, it can't be overlooked that the Euro and GFS, the two main global models, are starting to come in line more and more for an East Coast winter storm event for the Super Bowl. Right now, if I were waging on clear and cold versus snow and wind, I'd go with snow and wind. Obviously, still too early and beyond certainty these models runs will actually play out, so obviously subject to change and taken with grains of salt. Still, that the models are repeatedly alluding to something significant moving through the Mid-Atlantic/NYC-metro on the Feb 1st-2nd is worth grabbing your attention. It's all we've got for now.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014012418/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_64.png

In just a few more days, meteorologists will have a lot more confidence from the synoptic pattern, besides the modeling, to forecast a real winter storm threat. A forecast should be nailed down by 4-5 days out from Feb 2nd, so I'll be paying close attention to how each model run continues to play out over the next 72 hours.

If indeed there is going to be a snow and, more importantly, a wind event for the Super Bowl, it seems fateful to Peyton Manning's career. He will have to, once again, face down what is considered a thorn in his career/legacy. He's already destroyed every other critical counterpoint against him so far this postseason. If he slays this final dragon, there really is very little left to nitpick. He will have accomplished the greatest single season and post season combined of any QB in NFL history and will have done it against odds that, though debatable by his own high standards or the national media's obsession, were born out of him not playing well in cold weather games, especially against a top defense. He has an opportunity to completely shut the door on those arguments that are still weighed against his remarkable career. You couldn't script this any better. This is a team sport, however, and we're facing the best defense in the NFL. The Broncos are going to have to be the more physical team to bring home this championship for Denver and for Peyton to add to his legend.

Dzone
01-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Wow. I heard a rumor from KOAA on facebook that there was a humongous snowstorm storm headed for new york to hit the weekend of Feb 2. :listen:Wonderful!

DenBronx
01-24-2014, 07:39 PM
It's looking like a 50/50 chance for either rain or snow and about 30 degrees? Surely there will be some wind. I am more concerned about how much wind because I believe Manning can still throw it as needed even with slight rain or snow, which would make the field slippery.

IF the conditions are bad and Manning wins this game then all of the idiots will have nothing to say about him playing in bad weather. But if he loses.....ok I don't even want to go there. HE HAS TO WIN THIS GAME NO MATTER WHAT!

dogfish
01-24-2014, 07:41 PM
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

- Bob Dylan

"Relax, we got this shit."

- dogfish

DenBronx
01-24-2014, 07:55 PM
I bet the forecast will change several more times before the game is played anyway.

In 2 years here in Denver I think Manning has adjusted to A.) playing on grass and B.) playing in worse weather conditions. Not worried about him at all.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-24-2014, 08:02 PM
They should have never scheduled the SB in an outdoor bad weather stadium.

NY? pff

EastCoastBronco
01-24-2014, 08:19 PM
In the past 2 weeks I have learned a lot about the difference between media and reality.
It seems I need to learn this lesson time after time after time....
The game against the Pats solidified my faith in these Broncos more than anything else could have.
Every now and then I need to be reminded that the media is full of **** and I should not get caught up in it.
We will win this game for 2 simple reasons.
1) We can stop Lynch.
2) We totally outmatch them man for man.

That is all I need...

DenBronx
01-24-2014, 08:32 PM

NY? pff

I have to be honest. I was really in favor of this idea and love outdoor games, even love the bad weather games.

Just didnt think the very first one played would be US going. Hahaha

I'm a little worried now but I still think it's going to be exciting outdoors.

And oh yeah, one of the best bands ever, the Red Hot Chili Peppers will be there!!!

DenBronx
01-24-2014, 08:40 PM
RtBbinpK5XI

ShaneFalco
01-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Goodell said they plan on changing the day or time, if it is a giant snowstorm.

OrangeHoof
01-24-2014, 09:23 PM

It can favor the offense since the receivers know where they are going while the defense has to react which means sharper cuts and the potential of slipping and falling.

mouthofsouth
01-24-2014, 10:31 PM
I hope that's the case.

They have the option to move the game to another day, maybe Saturday. But isn't the game started around 6 or so? No sun or clouds come into play. But it might be better if they moved it up to midday when it would be warmer.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2014, 10:38 PM
"Our current planning is looking at Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Within any of those days the time could be variable," the Vice President of business operations for the NFL, Eric Grubman said. Though those scenarios are highly unlikely - the MetLife Stadium crew even went as far as having a dress rehearsal Wednesday - the scheduled kickoff could be easily switched by a few hours to accommodate the preparations needed due to the weather.

"We really want to play this game at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday. If we can't then moving it an hour or so in either direction and we could keep the game on Sunday then that would be our second choice," he continued.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/374490/72/NFL-keeps-options-open-on-Super-Bowl-contingency-plans

dogfish
01-24-2014, 10:54 PM

It can favor the offense since the receivers know where they are going while the defense has to react which means sharper cuts and the potential of slipping and falling.

i think we all remember champ falling all over the field trying to stay with jerry porter in that god-awful snow game around thanksgiving. . . easily the worst game the future HOFer has ever played, and porter wasn't much better than a scrub. . . barring a howling windstorm, i don't think weather's going to be much of a factor. . . manning and gase have learned how to deal with it. . .

BroncoWave
01-24-2014, 11:03 PM
They MIGHT move the time of kickoff on Sunday, but they ain't moving it to a different day. Might as well just get that out of your heads, because it's not happening. It would take a winter storm of biblical proportions to move the actual date of the game. All of the extended forecasts are showing temps in the 20s/30s with a 30% chance of snow. That's not even close to the type of weather it would take to move the game. Barring something really, really unforseen the game will be kicking off at 6:30 PM a week from Sunday.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2014, 11:11 PM
They MIGHT move the time of kickoff on Sunday, but they ain't moving it to a different day. Might as well just get that out of your heads, because it's not happening. It would take a winter storm of biblical proportions to move the actual date of the game. All of the extended forecasts are showing temps in the 20s/30s with a 30% chance of snow. That's not even close to the type of weather it would take to move the game. Barring something really, really unforseen the game will be kicking off at 6:30 PM a week from Sunday.

What I posted in regards to the different options, which also stated moving it to different days, came directly from the NFL

BroncoWave
01-24-2014, 11:15 PM
What I posted in regards to the different options, which also stated moving it to different days, came directly from the NFL

I wasn't debating that. My point is that the chances of it actually coming to that contingency plan that the NFL laid out are slim and none. Having to move the day of the game would be a FAR bigger PR nightmare for the league than simply playing the game in bad conditions.

hilife
01-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Hopefully the weather will be good that day.

Dzone
01-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know if there has ever been an NFL game that was cancelled or rescheduled due to bad weather? I dont think its ever happened.
Ok, I was wrong, just found this-
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_an_NFL_game_ever_been_cancelled_because_of_wea ther?#slide=6

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if there has ever been an NFL game that was cancelled or rescheduled due to bad weather? I dont think its ever happened.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_an_NFL_game_ever_been_cancelled_because_of_wea ther?#slide=6

That was a pretty unique situation as it was right after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed and they had to use the University of Minnesota's field. Since that field was not really ready for play as it was after the college season, the bad weather forced them to move the game day. That's the kind of extreme circumstance it takes to move the date of an NFL game. I just don't see anything like that happening for the Super Bowl.

Dzone
01-25-2014, 12:06 PM

NY? pff
No doubt. What a dumb move. The Mara family ties to the NFL was most likely the primary reason for this. The Maras wanted it and they got it.
Now we are sitting here a week out and not even 100% sure what day the super bowl is going to be played. If a cold weather city wants to host the bowl, but a dome on it. I hate domes though

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 12:09 PM
No doubt. What a dumb move. The Mara family ties to the NFL was most likely the primary reason for this. The Maras wanted it and they got it.
Now we are sitting here a week out and not even 100% sure what day the super bowl is going to be played. If a cold weather city wants to host the bowl, but a dome on it. I hate domes though

At the very least, cold weather cities should be forced to have a retractable roof if they want a SB. That way you can still play the game outdoors if the weather isn't too bad, but you can also close the roof if you have to.

Nomad
01-25-2014, 12:14 PM
I heard they thinking of rescheduling the game.

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 12:20 PM

Not really. They have laid out contingency plans that cover what they would do if they absolutely HAVE to move the game, but those plans are the absolute last resort. They will do everything possible to make sure the game gets kicked off at 6:30 next Sunday.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2014, 12:21 PM

I think someone mentioned that the NFL should consider it...but that would cost people WAYyyyyyyy too much money. Won't happen.

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 12:22 PM
I think someone mentioned that the NFL should consider it...but that would cost people WAYyyyyyyy too much money. Won't happen.

Agreed. As bad of a PR nightmare as having the game in a blizzard would be, moving the day of the game would be 100x worse of a PR nightmare. I could see them moving the game time up on Sunday if bad weather is supposed to come in that night, but I just don't see them moving gameday at all.

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Darren Rovell, who is usually on top of these sort of things, put the chance of the game day being moved at 0.00%. I tend to agree with him. If I were the NFL, I would never have even released the fact that they had contingency plans to move the game day. It just seems to be causing some fans to unnecessarily worry.

Nomad
01-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks. I haven't been listening to or following the sports news until yesterday and caught the tail end of a conversation.

MOtorboat
01-25-2014, 01:31 PM

Dolphins hosted the Chiefs on a Friday night in 2005 to play ahead of a hurricane coming in.

slim
01-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Darren Rovell, who is usually on top of these sort of things, put the chance of the game day being moved at 0.00%. I tend to agree with him. If I were the NFL, I would never have even released the fact that they had contingency plans to move the game day. It just seems to be causing some fans to unnecessarily worry.

Common sense also puts it at 0.00%

Tned
01-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Common sense also puts it at 0.00%

The odds of it being moved are higher than 0.00%

slim
01-25-2014, 03:15 PM
The odds of it being moved are higher than 0.00%

Not gonna happen

Tned
01-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Not gonna happen

Agreed, just higher odds than 0.00%. Snow, terrorists, tsunamis, whatever.

Northman
01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Whatever the case, it sounds like the idea of cold weather SB's might not happen again. According to this article ticket prices are falling for this year's SB.

On Friday, Kimmel said he got an offer to buy a man's tickets for face value, something he said he never expected to hear.

Weather is definitely a factor, even though the forecast is far from definitive. AccuWeather's website, WillItSnow.com, which seeks to predict the weather for the big game, has the temperature in the 20s and 30s for East Rutherford, N.J., on Feb. 2, with snow showers possible.

"The cold weather is certainly an issue," Kimmel said. "For the prices people are paying, they want to be comfortable in their seats. Even if it's not a blizzard, sitting outside in very cold weather is a deterrent."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10346582/2013-nfl-playoffs-super-bowl-ticket-prices-continue-plummet

mouthofsouth
01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
They got on T.V. and promised they would move the game to either Saturday or Monday if bad weather is predicted for Sunday. Now they have to do it. According to Yahoo weather, on Sunday, 80% chance of wintry mix, while on Saturday only cloudy. Highs both days in 30s. Who wants to sit in a wintry mix to watch the Super Bowl? Who wants to play in it? Wind is not a factor either day, but precipitation is.

slim
01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Agreed, just higher odds than 0.00%. Snow, terrorists, tsunamis, whatever.

I disagree. Maybe 0.0001%

slim
01-25-2014, 03:52 PM
They got on T.V. and promised they would move the game to either Saturday or Monday if bad weather is predicted for Sunday. Now they have to do it. According to Yahoo weather, on Sunday, 80% chance of wintry mix, while on Saturday only cloudy. Highs both days in 30s. Who wants to sit in a wintry mix to watch the Super Bowl? Who wants to play in it? Wind is not a factor either day, but precipitation is.

It would be funny if they did.

I guess maybe I need to factor in the arrogance of Goodell and the NFL. So maybe a .002% chance.

VonDoom
01-25-2014, 03:55 PM

Wintry mix is not going to postpone the Super Bowl. It's not a blizzard (unless something changes), so it'll be probably a light rain/snow, depending on the given temperature and little wind. That sounds like an average game to me. If people can get to the stadium, nothing will change.

We really have to stop obsessing over the weather for this game. I suspect this will be a 15 page thread by next Sunday. Relax, people.

Northman
01-25-2014, 03:55 PM

While i agree that i doubt anyone wants to sit in that kind of stuff Goodell and NFL opened the door when they decided to host the SB in the great outdoors. THey would look like dolts if they moved it at this juncture.

slim
01-25-2014, 04:00 PM
While i agree that i doubt anyone wants to sit in that kind of stuff Goodell and NFL opened the door when they decided to host the SB in the great outdoors. THey would look like dolts if they moved it at this juncture.

They might look like dolts if they don't.

#idiots

Northman
01-25-2014, 04:14 PM
They might look like dolts if they don't.

#idiots

Depends.

If their contention is that football should be played in any kind of weather like it would be for any normal game than they kind of have to stand by their decision to play it in that kind of stadium. Obviously, if its a massive blizzard its a hazard and that would change things. But, a normal snowstorm? Nah, they would look like bigger dillholes if they all of sudden got scared of snow. I just think depending on the turn out it will determine what they do going forward.

mouthofsouth
01-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Depends.

If their contention is that football should be played in any kind of weather like it would be for any normal game than they kind of have to stand by their decision to play it in that kind of stadium. Obviously, if its a massive blizzard its a hazard and that would change things. But, a normal snowstorm? Nah, they would look like bigger dillholes if they all of sudden got scared of snow. I just think depending on the turn out it will determine what they do going forward.

I watched them say on T.V. that they have the option to change the date and/or time if necessary. If they do not change it to Saturday when conditions would be better and it snows all during the game on Sunday, affecting the game adversely in way, like slipping, hard to see, hard to mark and measure downs, individual plays, etc., they are going to take a lot of heat from everybody.

dogfish
01-25-2014, 06:44 PM
They got on T.V. and promised they would move the game to either Saturday or Monday if bad weather is predicted for Sunday. Now they have to do it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tned
01-25-2014, 06:56 PM
I disagree. Maybe 0.0001%

That's higher than 0.00%

MOtorboat
01-25-2014, 07:01 PM
That's higher than 0.00%

Forgive him. He's an accountant.

The game isn't moving for a little bit of wintry mix, either...

Tned
01-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Forgive him. He's an accountant.

The game isn't moving for a little bit of wintry mix, either...

Hell no. It will need to be a storm of biblical proportions to move the game.

MOtorboat
01-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Let's say this game was scheduled for when Sandy hit.

Would they play it?

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Would they play it?

Didn't that knock out alot of power? I would imagine that something that knocks out power in the area would force them to move the game.

dogfish
01-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Would they play it?

no way. . .

MOtorboat
01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
no way. . .

Yeah, that probably wasn't fair...

Six inches of snow...

BroncoWave
01-25-2014, 07:15 PM

Six inches of snow...

Well they played the Lions-Eagles game in it. I would imagine the game would go on in that case. They might try to move the time of the game on Sunday if it would help avoid the worst part of it, but I think it would stay on Sunday.

dogfish
01-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Six inches of snow...

your guess is as good as mine, but if i have to make a judgement, i would say that might not be enough to move it. . . there's an awful lot of money involved. . . i think it would have to be something pretty catastrophic. . .

OrangeHoof
01-25-2014, 07:53 PM
You're talking a ton of logistics here. Everything from corporate jets being able to fly in and out to hotel room space to tv advertising.

Moving it up would only seem to move it closer to the snowstorm. Pushing ti back to a 9 PM ET kickoff? THAT might be doable. Fox would have a cow.

Then again, knocking out five hours of Fox Super Bowl Pre-Game programming would have to be considered a blessing.