PDA

View Full Version : John Fox relying on experience

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2014, 05:30 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- John Fox has always said experience matters. With that in mind, Fox has relied on players or members of the front office to speak with the team as the Denver Broncos prepare for the Super Bowl.

Fox had players who have played in the league's title game -- Peyton Manning, Wes Welker, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Jacob Tamme -- offer up their thoughts in a team meeting on Thursday morning as well as executive vice president of football operations John Elway.

"Coach Fox has had some guys that have some experience share some of those thoughts with other players,'' Manning said. "And he's encouraged guys to ask questions or guys who have some experience to share any thoughts, tips. We have had opportunity to do that whether it was coaches or players or John Elway. So I think that's a good thing.''

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10340485/denver-broncos-coach-john-fox-relying-super-bowl-experience

Joel
01-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Me, too. The good news for Seattle is most of their top players are so young they'll be a force for most of the decade; the bad news is that means few of them have ever been on a stage this large. I haven't checked their roster fully, but am unsure ANY of them have played in a SB, or even a Conference Championship until this year. They've never been challenged much this season, except for the comeback against the awful Bucs, and vs. the '9ers and Cards when they pretty much had the division AND bye in the bag and were just coasting.

Seattles talks big, but if they buy their own BS and get in a bind, do they have the maturity to rebound—or will they buckle? I'm not saying we can count on anything like that (when the defending champ Pack zipped downfield to score an opening TD on us in SB XXXII, we answered right back and It Was On.) However, we definitely could NOT count on it against SF, the defending NFC Champs who just played their 3rd straight Conference Championship, which is one reason I prefer Seattle.

Here's hoping experience will out; as much as I've complained about our team not finishing this season, they heard it from a lot of people and have gotten progressively better both since midseason and in the playoffs. More to the point, whether or not they finish well, I don't ever expect them to frantically panic and make bad decisions or hide in their shells.