PDA

View Full Version : NFL keeps options open on Super Bowl contingency plans

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2014, 02:27 PM
KUSA - Don't scrap Super Bowl Sunday just yet. While the weather continues to be a major question mark, the National Football League is keeping their options open on a different time - even different date to decide the winner of the Lombardi Trophy.

The NFL says - depending on the forecasts and impending safety and logistical concerns that come with it - the Super Bowl could be played as early as January 31 and as late as February 3.

"Our current planning is looking at Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Within any of those days the time could be variable," the Vice President of business operations for the NFL, Eric Grubman said. Though those scenarios are highly unlikely - the MetLife Stadium crew even went as far as having a dress rehearsal Wednesday - the scheduled kickoff could be easily switched by a few hours to accommodate the preparations needed due to the weather.

"We really want to play this game at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday. If we can't then moving it an hour or so in either direction and we could keep the game on Sunday then that would be our second choice," he continued.

rest - http://www.9news.com/news/article/374490/72/NFL-keeps-options-open-on-Super-Bowl-contingency-plans

Tned
01-23-2014, 02:30 PM
I think moving it would be their last resort, because they will get a mountain of bad press if they really did move it because of weather.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2014, 02:36 PM
I think moving it would be their last resort, because they will get a mountain of bad press if they really did move it because of weather.

Not only a mountain of bad press, but what about people flying in, who already have their return flights scheduled. If they change it to Jan. 31st, can people arrange their flight schedules, hotel/motel rooms, to arrive in time for the game, etc. Also, same would apply if they delay it until Monday - returning flight schedules, extra hotel/motel room.

Northman
01-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Not only that but i took off Monday so that i dont have to worry about getting sloshed. IF they move it the end up ******* all the viewers who take the time out to plan parties, etc.

Joel
01-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Not only a mountain of bad press, but what about people flying in, who already have their return flights scheduled. If they change it to Jan. 31st, can people arrange their flight schedules, hotel/motel rooms, to arrive in time for the game, etc. Also, same would apply if they delay it until Monday - returning flight schedules, extra hotel/motel room.
That's exactly the problem. It's a major event broadcast around the globe, with people flying in from around the globe to see it person. When thousands of people drop thousands of dollars to attend an event the business they're paying for the privilege can't afford to just say, "Er, sorry, we screwed up; can you stay an extra day? Or come a day early?" Um, NO, I asked my boss for vacation time on these days, and I can't just go back at the last minute and tell him to change the schedule because the NFL hasn't figured out how to schedule a SB after half a century.

My biggest memory of SB XLI isn't Mannings only Ring, but what a slopfest it was, in every sense, and thinking, The NFL will never allow again allow a SB outside. It rained almost incessantly, and the ball kept squirting back and forth from team to team all game as one of the best defenses ever tried to overcome their awful offenses refusal to win, while an all time great offense tried to do the same with an equally pitiful defense. It was an embarrassment; Indy didn't so much win that game as Chicago did a better job losing it.

Part of that was because it was irresistible force vs. immovable object to an extent to which this SB's only a shadow. But a lot of it was the rain, the steady heavy rain that made things seemingly so hopeless for the Colts high octane aerial attack against one of the best ground 'n pound teams ever (perhaps an omen? Manning's been her before....) This is starting to look very similar, except it's in NYC instead of Miami, so it'll be snow instead of rain.

Idiots. This is what comes of the money-is-all logic that says building an expensive new stadium automatically entitles an owner to host a SB in the next few years. It made sense with Houston because it rarely freezes there anyway and expansion teams need all any promotion they can get, but this is just STUPID. New rule: All SB sites must have roofs (retractable or otherwise) so we don't have to heat the field and plow it between quarters.

People forget the reason Lombardi called a run with no timeouts and <10 seconds left was because he preferred losing the NFL Championship to playing OT in the Ice Bowl.

Joel
01-23-2014, 03:08 PM
All that said, changing the SITE (NOT DATE) has precedent in the very first NFL Championship: A record Chicago blizzard forced the game from snowed in Wrigley Field to Chicago Stadium, even though it was only 80X40 yds. They had to move the goalposts from the end line to the goal line (where they stayed for 40 years) and invent hashmarks so teams didn't have to snap against a plywood wall after plays ending on the sideline (not there WAS a sideline, just the wall, like arena football.) I've even read they moved the ball back to the 20 everytime a team crossed midfield.

Back to the future, I guess; wonder if that means passes are illegal <5 yds behind the line. :tongue:

OrangeHoof
01-23-2014, 03:09 PM
"Our current planning is looking at Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Within any of those days the time could be variable,"

Those bodies you heard crashing down to the street were Fox executives.

OrangeHoof
01-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Not to worry. Gov. Chris Crisco KNOWS how to control transportation flows.

VonDoom
01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
There would have to be catastrophic weather to change anything about this game. There is a 99.9% chance that at 6:30 on February 2, this game will be kicking off.

OrangeHoof
01-23-2014, 03:15 PM
All that said, changing the SITE (NOT DATE) has precedent in the very first NFL Championship: A record Chicago blizzard forced the game from snowed in Wrigley Field to Chicago Stadium, even though it was only 80X40 yds. They had to move the goalposts from the end line to the goal line (where they stayed for 40 years) and invent hashmarks so teams didn't have to snap against a plywood wall after plays ending on the sideline (not there WAS a sideline, just the wall, like arena football.) I've even read they moved the ball back to the 20 everytime a team crossed midfield.

Back to the future, I guess; wonder if that means passes are illegal <5 yds behind the line. :tongue:

If Bud Selig were NFL commissioner, he'd just move the Super Bowl to Milwaukee.

MOtorboat
01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Wait.

Wut?

SR
01-23-2014, 04:01 PM
That's exactly the problem. It's a major event broadcast around the globe, with people flying in from around the globe to see it person. When thousands of people drop thousands of dollars to attend an event the business they're paying for the privilege can't afford to just say, "Er, sorry, we screwed up; can you stay an extra day? Or come a day early?" Um, NO, I asked my boss for vacation time on these days, and I can't just go back at the last minute and tell him to change the schedule because the NFL hasn't figured out how to schedule a SB after half a century.

My biggest memory of SB XLI isn't Mannings only Ring, but what a slopfest it was, in every sense, and thinking, The NFL will never allow again allow a SB outside. It rained almost incessantly, and the ball kept squirting back and forth from team to team all game as one of the best defenses ever tried to overcome their awful offenses refusal to win, while an all time great offense tried to do the same with an equally pitiful defense. It was an embarrassment; Indy didn't so much win that game as Chicago did a better job losing it.

Part of that was because it was irresistible force vs. immovable object to an extent to which this SB's only a shadow. But a lot of it was the rain, the steady heavy rain that made things seemingly so hopeless for the Colts high octane aerial attack against one of the best ground 'n pound teams ever (perhaps an omen? Manning's been her before....) This is starting to look very similar, except it's in NYC instead of Miami, so it'll be snow instead of rain.

Idiots. This is what comes of the money-is-all logic that says building an expensive new stadium automatically entitles an owner to host a SB in the next few years. It made sense with Houston because it rarely freezes there anyway and expansion teams need all any promotion they can get, but this is just STUPID. New rule: All SB sites must have roofs (retractable or otherwise) so we don't have to heat the field and plow it between quarters.

People forget the reason Lombardi called a run with no timeouts and <10 seconds left was because he preferred losing the NFL Championship to playing OT in the Ice Bowl.

Playing exclusively in a dome is a ridiculous notion IMO. These guys play outdoors all year long. The regular season is a test to find out which team is the best, regardless of the conditions they're required to play in. Personally, I like the idea of outdoor games. Test them further. Make them overcome obstacles to win the biggest game of their lives. The Super Bowl shouldn't be sugar coated.

Northman
01-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Playing exclusively in a dome is a ridiculous notion IMO. These guys play outdoors all year long. The regular season is a test to find out which team is the best, regardless of the conditions they're required to play in. Personally, I like the idea of outdoor games. Test them further. Make them overcome obstacles to win the biggest game of their lives. The Super Bowl shouldn't be sugar coated.

Personally i dont think it really sugar coats it. I just want to see each team at their absolute best playing in the biggest game of them all. I understand the homefield during the playoffs but come time for the big dance i want to see both teams at their best and not affected by outdoor elements.

SR
01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Adapt and overcome homie.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2014, 04:26 PM
If Super Bowl Sunday is moved to, say, Super Bowl Monday, the first people to find out will be Broncos coach John Fox and Seattle coach Pete Carroll.

“We are advising teams to prepare in case a contingency plan goes into affect,” Eric Grubman, NFL vice president of business operations, said in an interview Thursday with the Denver Post. “If there is a schedule change, both teams will be notified simultaneously in a conference call.”

A snowstorm in the greater New Jersey area dumped 13 inches on MetLife Stadium on Tuesday. Had the Super Bowl been played at 6:40 p.m. Wednesday it would have kicked off as scheduled, Grubman said. Had that same storm hit on Super Bowl Sunday, the league may well have had a decision to make on behalf of fans’ safety.

If it’s determined with a three-day warning that a major weather event will hit on Super Bowl Sunday, there is a contingency plan to play the Super Bowl on Friday or Saturday.

“If they move it, they move it,” Fox said. “Both teams have to adjust to it.”

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/01/23/weather-threatens-super-bowl-sunday/25625/

tomjonesrocks
01-23-2014, 04:28 PM

There's the matter of fan safety to consider as well, as referred to in the article above.

Northman
01-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Well, i kind of think they do that during the playoffs to get there whether its on the road or at home. I just think with a neutral field it should be in an enviroment where we see them at their absolute best. My opinion of course.

Joel
01-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Personally i dont think it really sugar coats it. I just want to see each team at their absolute best playing in the biggest game of them all. I understand the homefield during the playoffs but come time for the big dance i want to see both teams at their best and not affected by outdoor elements.
^THIS^ The championship should be determined by who's the best, not who's the best under a given set of conditions. Indoor teams not built to play outside nearly always lose a great deal; it's harder to pass, and they can't cut as quickly on grass as on turf. Playing indoors doesn't impair coldweather teams in any way; they're just as fast and strong as ever and can still run all the same plays just as efficiently (more so, actually.) All playing outdoors in February does is impair teams that AREN'T built for it, so teams that are have an advantage.

If we just want to test them to the breaking point and see who remains intact (or rather, who breaks least) take away the pre-Super Bowl bye and go back to championships decided by injuries; may the tougher team win, just like in cold games. If nothing else, we could move the Pro Bowl back to the week after the SB where it belongs so everyone could play and people might care.

We don't have to play every SB inside, but need at least the option of a retractable roof when conditions become completely unacceptable. I'm a big fan of "the game's played when scheduled; this isn't baseball and we don't cancel the game if someones diaper gets a little damp." I hated when they called the first game due to weather a couple decades ago, but admit I would've hated 65,000 people getting electrocuted even more. Players shouldn't lose fingers just to satisfy the level of toughness I demand while watching on a couch in my comfortably heated living room.

Joel
01-23-2014, 05:16 PM
rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/01/23/weather-threatens-super-bowl-sunday/25625/
Yet another messed up thing about this: I want the teams practicing and focusing to play each other, not going around tentatively with the possibility of delaying/moving the game in the back of their minds. How can they even prepare for a game when they're not even sure when or where it will be played? Though it doesn't sound like the NFL's even considering changing the site, as that would deny Mara of the plum he "earned" by spending a few $100 million on a stadium (or getting NYC to spent it for him.)

Here's a thought: Maybe the solution to the problem of racking up hideous debts building a posh new stadium full of skyboxes mere mortals can never afford isn't getting the NFL to immediately award you a Super Bowl, it's NOT RACKING UP HIDEOUS DEBT FOR THE MONSTROSITY IN THE FIRST PLACE! Gee, America's heavily in debt; guess that means we should host the Olympics. :rolleyes:

tubby
01-23-2014, 05:19 PM
No effing way!?

:lol:

what a shit show....unbelievable.

SR
01-23-2014, 05:53 PM
There's the matter of fan safety to consider as well, as referred to in the article above.

Fans are getting shot, stabbed, and beat up at games where the weather is perfectly fine.

tomjonesrocks
01-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Fans are getting shot, stabbed, and beat up at games where the weather is perfectly fine.

Irrelevant.

BroncoWave
01-23-2014, 06:51 PM
There would have to be catastrophic weather to change anything about this game. There is a 99.9% chance that at 6:30 on February 2, this game will be kicking off.

This. Lots of overreaction going on here. If you look at the current forecasts for that day (I know, still not accurate this far ahead) the weather doesn't look to be all that bad for that day.

There would have to be power outages and massive damage to move the date. I would say the chances of that are slim.

That would be a complete disaster if they had to move the day. It would make the power outage in last year's game seem like a minor glitch.

OrangeHoof
01-23-2014, 07:11 PM

You pay your ticket. You take your chances. They knew what they were getting into. Let 'em suffer. Who wants to travel to a hellhole like NY/NJ in February anyway? Suckers.

Joel
01-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Well, the NFL is on record that the foot of snow NJ had yesterday wouldn't be enough to justify rescheduling; it would have to be worse than that. I can't help wondering though if all the Denver fans who love Peyton Manning and snow games realize that Peyton Manning really DOESN'T love snow games. I'm not saying he'll collapse and don't expect it, but passing is harder when it's cold even without snow or wind, but when the wind IS pushing the ball over the place and receivers DO have to squint for it between big fluffy flakes, catching that frozen brick is that much harder.