PDA

View Full Version : Season ticket holders angry at #Broncos secrecy over Super Bowl ticket policy/lottery

Tned
01-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Denver Broncos won't say how many Super Bowl tickets offered to fans

The odds that a Denver Broncos season-ticket holder would win the organization's lottery and a chance to buy Super Bowl tickets at face value were slim.

But just how slim is a secret.

That's because Broncos officials refuse to say how many of the tickets allotted to the team by the NFL were offered to season-ticket holders and how many were sold to a California company selling packaged trips including airfare and hotel.

Read more:*Denver Broncos won't say how many Super Bowl tickets offered to fans - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24971430/denver-broncos-wont-say-how-many-super-bowl#ixzz2rEpTrzjv*

I think the feeling is that the Broncos sold the lion's share of tickets to the events company, rather offering them to their season ticket holders. However, since the specifics haven't been disclosed, nobody knows for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Buff
01-23-2014, 11:16 AM
The fact that they won't disclose the number of tickets released to season ticket holders would seem to indicate that the number was embarrassingly small.

Lancane
01-23-2014, 01:30 PM
I think the organization had an epiphany of reality. Only a small portion of Broncos' season ticket holders would be able to dole out the asinine amount of money needed for Super Bowl tickets, which doesn't include the outrageous airfare and cost of a hotel for the event to one of the most expensive regions in the US. The average round trip ticket to Newark Liberty International Airport is about $1000.00, some can be found for about $400.00 to $500.00, but the average is much higher, then calculate the price of a room which when considering the event are going to be pricey, so what another $200.00 to $400.00, which doesn't likely include meals. A Parking Pass is currently $250.00, the Super Bowl committee is not allowing drop offs, so no taxi or buses, add another $150.00 for a rental car, the average price of tickets is about $2,000.00 through Ticket Hub, nosebleed section tickets are running about $1,500.00 and then throw in spending money and money for food. Your looking at about $7,000.00 to $8,000.00 for two people with decent seats going by just the average cost. How many of us have that sitting around in our bank accounts or even available unless we take a second mortgage out on our homes? Season Ticket holders in Denver usually budget in their season tickets which is not cheap in itself, so the chances that more then maybe a quarter of them could afford such a trip is unlikely. I understand that they feel slighted, but this isn't a Super Bowl in San Diego or in Miami, you'd be looking at a couple thousand less and it would be far more realistic.

Tned
01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
I think the organization had an epiphany of reality. Only a small portion of Broncos' season ticket holders would be able to dole out the asinine amount of money needed for Super Bowl tickets, which doesn't include the outrageous airfare and cost of a hotel for the event to one of the most expensive regions in the US. The average round trip ticket to Newark Liberty International Airport is about $1000.00, some can be found for about $400.00 to $500.00, but the average is much higher, then calculate the price of a room which when considering the event are going to be pricey, so what another $200.00 to $400.00, which doesn't likely include meals. A Parking Pass is currently $250.00, the Super Bowl committee is not allowing drop offs, so no taxi or buses, add another $150.00 for a rental car, the average price of tickets is about $2,000.00 through Ticket Hub, nosebleed section tickets are running about $1,500.00 and then throw in spending money and money for food. Your looking at about $7,000.00 to $8,000.00 for two people with decent seats going by just the average cost. How many of us have that sitting around in our bank accounts or even available unless we take a second mortgage out on our homes? Season Ticket holders in Denver usually budget in their season tickets which is not cheap in itself, so the chances that more then maybe a quarter of them could afford such a trip is unlikely. I understand that they feel slighted, but this isn't a Super Bowl in San Diego or in Miami, you'd be looking at a couple thousand less and it would be far more realistic.

A couple things. First, the ticket holders that did win the lottery were paying face value, which is about half of what it's going for on the third party sites. For instance, I think the upper deck is around $800.

Second, while it's true that many couldn't afford it, using your 1/4 of ticket holders probably could, if they had allocated all tickets to season ticket holders (with the limit of two per account) than it would have been about 1/4 of ticket holders that would have had the opportunity to buy them. So, they could have given people x number of days to commit and then gone to the next person in line.

Now, under no circumstances would they have given all tickets to the season ticket holders, because the players, coaches, management all need tickets to give to people. However, if of the 14,300 or so tickets, the players (including injured, practic squad, etc.) were given four each, then you would have been left with about 14,000. If one thousand went to Bowlen, Elway and company, that would still leave you 13,000, which at the limit of two per account holder, would be 6,500 account holders, which is something along the lines of 21-23% of season ticket holders.

Again, nobody seems to know what happened. It's very possible 20% of season ticket holders have been contacted. It's also just as possible 1% of ticket holders have been contacted and 13,000 or so tickets were given to the ticket broker/event company. Nobody outside the Broncos and the event company knows.

Lancane
01-23-2014, 02:13 PM
A couple things. First, the ticket holders that did win the lottery were paying face value, which is about half of what it's going for on the third party sites. For instance, I think the upper deck is around $800.

Second, while it's true that many couldn't afford it, using your 1/4 of ticket holders probably could, if they had allocated all tickets to season ticket holders (with the limit of two per account) than it would have been about 1/4 of ticket holders that would have had the opportunity to buy them. So, they could have given people x number of days to commit and then gone to the next person in line.

Now, under no circumstances would they have given all tickets to the season ticket holders, because the players, coaches, management all need tickets to give to people. However, if of the 14,300 or so tickets, the players (including injured, practic squad, etc.) were given four each, then you would have been left with about 14,000. If one thousand went to Bowlen, Elway and company, that would still leave you 13,000, which at the limit of two per account holder, would be 6,500 account holders, which is something along the lines of 21-23% of season ticket holders.

Again, nobody seems to know what happened. It's very possible 20% of season ticket holders have been contacted. It's also just as possible 1% of ticket holders have been contacted and 13,000 or so tickets were given to the ticket broker/event company. Nobody outside the Broncos and the event company knows.

So the face value only changes the overall cost by a slight margin, we're still talking a lot of money for a blue collar fandom. Beyond that, I don't believe the Broncos who fired McDaniels and played Tebow in order to sate their fans would without reason decline tickets to the biggest event for the team in the last two decades so easily and without a lot of thought, it's not like Denver has a plethora of privileged fans, we don't see Jon Bon Jovi in the Skybox, we don't see Ashton Kutcher in the front row with other A-List actors, etc. We have some famous fans, but for the most part, Broncos fans are your typical, everyday Joes. As you stated, we have no idea what has happened, what I stated was my opinion on the likeliest scenario and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we come to find out that the Seattle ticket holders were limited as well in their ability to purchase tickets.

Tned
01-23-2014, 02:21 PM
So the face value only changes the overall cost by a slight margin, we're still talking a lot of money for a blue collar fandom. Beyond that, I don't believe the Broncos who fired McDaniels and played Tebow in order to sate their fans would without reason decline tickets to the biggest event for the team in the last two decades so easily and without a lot of thought, it's not like Denver has a plethora of privileged fans, we don't see Jon Bon Jovi in the Skybox, we don't see Ashton Kutcher in the front row with other A-List actors, etc. We have some famous fans, but for the most part, Broncos fans are your typical, everyday Joes. As you stated, we have no idea what has happened, what I stated was my opinion on the likeliest scenario and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we come to find out that the Seattle ticket holders were limited as well in their ability to purchase tickets.

I'm guessing they were. The Broncos obviously have a teal with their "travel partner" selling the tickets. It is likely something like 10% of the proceeds. The tickets they are selling are $3,000+ per piece, which would be $300+ per ticket sold by the event company. Multiply that by 14,000 tickets and you are looking at something on the order of $4 million, and even more if the Broncos get a caught of the other costs such as airfare, hotel booking, etc., which they undoubtedly do.

The Broncos are a for profit "club"/business, so I don't begrudge them the opportunity to make money off of a SB appearance, but I think it's far more likely that "if" they held back a large portion of the tickets it was in order to make a healthy profit, rather than just because most fans couldn't afford to go, but as you say, we are all guessing, because we don't know the details.