PDA

View Full Version : NFL: Wes Welker's block on Aqib Talib was 'a legal hit'

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Bill Belichick called Wes Welker's block of Aqib Talib "deliberate" and "one of the worst plays (he'd) ever seen."

The NFL's take on the block that ended Talib's afternoon? Deliberate? Potentially. Dirty? Nope.

"It was a legal hit," Dean Blandino, the NFL's vice president of officiating, told NFL Network's Dan Hellie on Wednesday's edition of "NFL Total Access."

"Let's look at the video, and we'll explain why," Blandino went on, signature Xbox controller in hand. "Here's Welker in the slot. And the first potential foul would be for offensive pass interference. The receiver can't block downfield before the ball is touched. So the timing is important. You see Welker run the route, and he does appear to angle back towards Talib and come into his path, creating that contact.

"Now we have to look to see when was the ball touched in relation to the contact," Blandino added. "You'll see here, as the contact occurs, the ball is touched almost simultaneously. We don't have a foul for pass interference."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316736/article/nfl-wes-welkers-block-on-aqib-talib-was-a-legal-hit

VonDoom
01-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Eat that, Belichick!

Joel
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM
I will be SO glad when people stop talking about this. The suggestion a tiny WR with two concussions in a month would intentionally hit anyone, let alone to inflict the kind of injury he suffered, is not just absurd, it's insulting to our intelligence as well as Welkers integrity. And it's the very last thing I want the refs looking at against the smugly self-proclaimed "Legion of Boom."

All season DBs have been man-handling all our WRs all the way downfield because COVERING all of them is impossible: No flag. To make it worse, big as the rest of them (definitely not Welker) are, they don't fight through jams and shove back much, yet still managed to get more than their share of OFFENSIVE PIs. Now we're facing a team that's had a DOZEN doping suspensions in just THREE years and prides itself on being sole exception to the NFLs "Thou shalt not touch WRs or QBs" policy.

So all the talk (especially toward refs and from the NFL) is about a DENVER RECEIVER taking a cheap shot that didn't happen. Fan-freakin-tastic.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2014, 08:12 PM
rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316736/article/nfl-wes-welkers-block-on-aqib-talib-was-a-legal-hit

Here's Bill's reaction to the league's statement.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/pocket_trips/crying20baby.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/pocket_trips/media/crying20baby.gif.html)

WTE
01-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Blandino is a joke.

slim
01-22-2014, 08:26 PM
No, Bill is.

Dzone
01-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Honestly, this is one of Bellichecks lowest moments ever. Seriously. Pathetic really. No class whatsoever.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Honestly, this is one of Bellichecks lowest moments ever. Seriously. Pathetic really. No class whatsoever.

I agree, it is pretty bad. What's worst, Edelman did the same thing, but more violently, on the series before that.

BroncoWave
01-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Eat shit Belichick.

Davii
01-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Eat shit Belichick.

And any troll using this as fodder.

DenBronx
01-22-2014, 11:15 PM
What about the pick Edelman put on DRC that injured him?

Bill is only mad because this is exactly a play out of his own book and his guy Welker is the one who did it.

The hit was totally clean and totally legal. End of story.

Army Bronco
01-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Bill is just a sore loser. And a cheat.

TXBRONC
01-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Blandino is a joke.

No Belicheat is joke and a coward.

TXBRONC
01-23-2014, 12:02 AM
What about the pick Edelman put on DRC that injured him?

Bill is only mad because this is exactly a play out of his own book and his guy Welker is the one who did it.

The hit was totally clean and totally legal. End of story.

Belichick did this because he doesn't have the balls hard questions not that reporters like Tim Curran ask him anything difficult.

Simple Jaded
01-23-2014, 12:42 AM
Someone better put Heath Evans on suicide watch.

DenBronx
01-23-2014, 01:09 AM
Hope Welker does this to Sherman.

Joel
01-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Hope Welker does this to Sherman.
Does what? Run a crossing route opposite DT doing the same, not see the guy covering DT (or trying) till the last second, then duck to avoid his third concussion this season?

Dreadnought
01-23-2014, 03:47 AM
Naw, let DT or Decker run over Sherman. Welker isn't built for that

Northman
01-23-2014, 06:20 AM

Agreed. Im generally one of the few Bronco fans that doesnt have a massive problem with the team outside of McD but this is probably the worst display of poor sportsmanship ive ever seen from BB outside of not shaking the hand of one of his former assistants. Dude needs to sack up and accept they got their ass beat and failed to get it done.

Dzone
01-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Now Seattle is starting to talk shit about Welker
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10338075/walter-thurmond-seattle-seahawks-says-wes-welker-hit-uncalled-for

Northman
01-23-2014, 11:29 AM
No worries Thurmond, you'll be spending a lot of time chasing our guys down rather than bumping into them.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-23-2014, 11:46 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10338075/walter-thurmond-seattle-seahawks-says-wes-welker-hit-uncalled-for

Half the stuff they do in the Seattle secondary is uncalled for, so....

I just thought of something. We should call Seattle's secondary cuddle time because they like to hold so much. :laugh:

Army Bronco
01-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Half the stuff they do in the Seattle secondary is uncalled for, so....

I just thought of something. We should call Seattle's secondary cuddle time because they like to hold so much. :laugh: I just saw the Sound FX of when Sherman got called for holding.... that was some blatant shit. And he was saying it was BS...his words were BS.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-23-2014, 12:01 PM
I just saw the Sound FX of when Sherman got called for holding.... that was some blatant shit. And he was saying it was BS...his words were BS.

Well, they essentially do it on almost every play. It's just part of they're game and they're use to getting away with it.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Thank you so much Thurmond for the "bulletin board material" - ALWAYS APPRECIATED

Ravage!!!
01-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Listened to the NFL officiating "consult" that Fox uses and he said that not only was this a legal play, but Welker COULD have hit Talib up high,around the neck and head area..he COULD have led with shoulder to the head, and it STILL would not have been an illegal play. There was NOTHING illegal, and nothing "cheap."

Then, Greg Cosell was on Colin Cowherd, and the first thing he wanted to clear up was how the NE patriots losing Talib would have changed things. He pointed out that in the 1st series, DT ran AWAY from Talib (and Manning just chose to throw to someone else on that play), and did it in the second series, and on the third spun Talib in circles and caught a 20 something yard pass. DT was having his way with Talib before the injury, and considering Talib was trailing DT when he got blocked, that would have just been another time DT 'ran away' from him. Patriot fans can complain about it, but its just more BB whining.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2014, 03:35 PM
When Patriots coach Bill Belichick blasted Broncos receiver Wes Welker for his hit on Aqib Talib in the AFC Championship Game, Belichick said, “I’ll let the league handle the discipline on that play. It’s not for me to decide.”

Now the league has decided. Welker will not be disciplined.

The NFL confirmed that on Friday afternoon, and it’s no surprise, as NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino already said that Welker’s hit on Talib was legal. Belichick may have considered it one of the worst plays he’s ever seen, but the reality is that under NFL rules, receivers are allowed to hit defensive backs the way Welker hit Talib.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/24/wes-welker-not-fined-for-hit-on-aqib-talib/

WTE
01-24-2014, 03:56 PM
rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/24/wes-welker-not-fined-for-hit-on-aqib-talib/

Matt Cooke was never penalized for his hit on Marc Savard either.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Matt Cooke was never penalized for his hit on Marc Savard either.

And that has what to do about this????????

GEM
01-24-2014, 04:11 PM
I wish Fox would have reported Edelman's hit as well and then when the report came out it would have been that Welker's was clean and Edelman's was the illegal hit. That would have been stock full of awesome sauce. But then again...our coach isn't a whiny bitch like Belichek.

CoachChaz
01-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Can we combine all of the Wes Welker is a dirty player threads and put them in the "It's over with and we're in the Super Bowl, so who ******* cares" portion of this forum?

Joel
01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Can we combine all of the Wes Welker is a dirty player threads and put them in the "It's over with and we're in the Super Bowl, so who ******* cares" portion of this forum?
I care precisely BECAUSE we're in the SB against a bunch of 'roid-raging thugs who take PRIDE in calling themselves the "Legion of Boom" in the era of flag football: I want the refs watching the Seahawks like hawks, not watching US to see if our 5'9" double-concussed WR tries to kneecap people.

ALL SEASON our WRs have been mugged by EVERYONE because they can't be covered, won't fight through jams and often get flagged for offensive PI the rare times they DO resist.

ALL SEASON the Legion of Dope's have mugged EVERYONE because they CAN; the NFL doesn't flag them like it does the other 31 teams. Just a couple days ago I read a story about how they routinely practice in full body shields running from neck to thigh so their DBs get used to aiming hits where they can knock the crap out of people without getting flagged. I'm actually OK with that (good idea, really) as long as they don't hit and grab people while the ball's in the air, which is illegal—for everyone but Seattle.

So guess who the refs will be watching closely next week. Hint: NOT the guys making careers out of PI, Defensive Holding and Illegal Contact. Thanks, Belicheat.

CoachChaz
01-24-2014, 05:07 PM
I found your assumption interesting, Joel, so I decided to do a little research before spewing at the mouth. This same Seattle group that never gets penalized is part of a team that lead the NFL in penalties and penalty yards. Was second in PI penalties and penalty yards...and tied for 1st in defensive holding calls and second in defensive holding yards.

Conversely...Denver is tied for 1st in PI calls benefitting us and 3rd in beneficial yards. So...if the officials call the game the way they have been calling them all season, then we should be just fine when it comes to penalties.

Joel
01-24-2014, 05:21 PM
I found your assumption interesting, Joel, so I decided to do a little research before spewing at the mouth. This same Seattle group that never gets penalized is part of a team that lead the NFL in penalties and penalty yards. Was second in PI penalties and penalty yards...and tied for 1st in defensive holding calls and second in defensive holding yards.

Conversely...Denver is tied for 1st in PI calls benefitting us and 3rd in beneficial yards. So...if the officials call the game the way they have been calling them all season, then we should be just fine when it comes to penalties.
From your lips to Gods ears. That we're 2nd in yards by defensive holding just shows our WRs DO get mugged a lot (i.e. that many times Decker jumped around screaming for a flag he should've gotten one,) and just because they get flagged more than anyone doesn't mean they don't have a crapton more that DON'T get flagged.

Meanwhile, the 5 yd penalty and automatic conversion is the smallest penalty possible for any foul, let alone the head-hunting those 'roid-raging thugs do: I wouldn't count on it overcoming that.

Angel
01-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Glad to see the nfl didn't collapse at the feet of BeliCheat for once.

chazoe60
01-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Where is runsamok to correct the NFL?

MNPatsFan
01-24-2014, 09:26 PM
I wish Fox would have reported Edelman's hit as well and then when the report came out it would have been that Welker's was clean and Edelman's was the illegal hit. That would have been stock full of awesome sauce. But then again...our coach isn't a whiny bitch like Belichek.Please explain just how Edelman's hit was illegal?

Let's see, Collie had already caught the ball and was running with it. Edelman legally blocked DRC in order to allow Collie to obtain the maximum amount of yards. Did Edelman illegally use his hands to DRC's face? Nope.

Did Edleman hit DRC helmet to helmet? Nope.

Did he hit or block DRC after the whistle had blown the play dead? Nope.

Because Edelman didn't do any of those illegal actions, his hit wasn't illegal. Once the ball is caught and the WR is running, there is no penalty for a shoulder or forearm to the helmet while blocking a defender or tackling the WR with the ball.

I wish the Fox had reported Edelman's hit because the NFL would have ruled that hit was clean.

Davii
01-25-2014, 03:23 AM
Please explain just how Edelman's hit was illegal?

Let's see, Collie had already caught the ball and was running with it. Edelman legally blocked DRC in order to allow Collie to obtain the maximum amount of yards. Did Edelman illegally use his hands to DRC's face? Nope.

Did Edleman hit DRC helmet to helmet? Nope.

Did he hit or block DRC after the whistle had blown the play dead? Nope.

Because Edelman didn't do any of those illegal actions, his hit wasn't illegal. Once the ball is caught and the WR is running, there is no penalty for a shoulder or forearm to the helmet while blocking a defender or tackling the WR with the ball.

I wish the Fox had reported Edelman's hit because the NFL would have ruled that hit was clean.

http://lpaustin.com/wp-content/uploads/crying-baby-300x300.jpg