PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag: Denver's defense suddenly in a "magic moment"

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2014, 05:18 PM
What the heck happened to Denver's defense over the past few weeks? It looks completely different (in other words much, much better) than it did earlier in the year. It's championship-caliber now, despite a rash of significant injuries (Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Rahim Moore, etc.). How on earth did our defense improve without these players?
--Chris, Denver

I'm equally as stunned. I addressed this same subject following the Denver D's impressive performance against the New England Patriots in the AFC championship.

Shaun Phillips gave me credit: "The magic moment was a guy like you doubting us and calling us average. You said we were an average-at-best defense. I spread it amongst the locker room and guys started playing better and started stepping up."

rest - more questions/answers
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_24958340/broncos-mailbag-denvers-defense-suddenly-magic-moment

tomjonesrocks
01-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Really? All we had to do was berate the defense all this time?

Sounds like praising them before the SB might not be the best idea then...

DenBronx
01-23-2014, 01:06 AM
It's really odd to me. We lost some of our best players on defense yet look way better.

atwater27
01-23-2014, 03:00 AM
My guess is that Del Rio is more focused, or maybe was taking on too many other responsibilities and late in the season he was told by Fox or Elway to relax and just focus on the defense. As good as we played, though in the AFC championship, brady did miss some wide open receiver left and right. I am still worried about that.

dogfish
01-23-2014, 03:52 AM
a magic moment?

we need clay's opinion, he's a shaman. . .

Dreadnought
01-23-2014, 03:55 AM
It would be very cool to have the D come around at just the right time. Remember a few years back, the Giants hadn't been able to run all season, then allofasudden the ground game turns OK. Our defense shouldn't have to win the game. it has to make a few stops, via turnover or otherwise. I'm feeling pretty good about now

Northman
01-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Whatever the case they need to be great for one more game.

Tned
01-23-2014, 08:27 AM
In my mind, there are a few things that have occurred that have actually helped our defense.

One, we've played some closer games, so teams haven't gone to the pass quite as early and often. More importantly, Malik Jackson has really come into his own over the course of the season, and Williams has started to play very well next to and/or in rotation with Knighton. Also, don't discount the Champ factor. Our defensive turnaround has fairly well followed his increase in playing time. As big a Woodyard fan as I am, his injuries this year seem to have taken a toll and Lennon and Irving are playing very well (I know that Irving isn't playing for Woodyard). Trevathon is every bit the beast that Woodyard has been in the past.

From what I've seen, the Broncos have mostly continued to play the man to man defense that they've played all season, including often having LB's and S's running one on one in coverage, with zone being more of an exception or on some goal line series. It's hard to completely get a handle on why the coverage seems better now, than before.

CrazyHorse
01-23-2014, 08:31 AM
I hope this continues. We need to contain Lynch and get them into 3rd and long situations.

Tned
01-23-2014, 09:22 AM
I hope this continues. We need to contain Lynch and get them into 3rd and long situations.

I'll be surprised if we are not able to contain, maybe not completely shut down, but contain, Lynch. Both last year and this year, the Denver defense has been very good against the run, and have held most of the great backs we have seen to under 100 and well below their season averages.

BroncoJoe
01-23-2014, 09:30 AM
My guess is that Del Rio is more focused, or maybe was taking on too many other responsibilities and late in the season he was told by Fox or Elway to relax and just focus on the defense. As good as we played, though in the AFC championship, brady did miss some wide open receiver left and right. I am still worried about that.

Or, Fox decided Del Rio needed more help and suggestions and got more involved...

Either way, I likey.