PDA

View Full Version : Teen fired for wearing Broncos jersey

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2014, 01:36 PM
from article:

A teenager claims he was fired from his job in Tacoma, Wash., this past weekend for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey to work.

Odyssey 1 has acknowledged that it invites employees to wear Seahawks jerseys on Sundays in order to "show support" for the team on game days. The company posted a statement on its Facebook page Tuesday, claiming that wearing other teams' jerseys is prohibited in order to "prevent possible conflicts."

"To show support for the Seattle Seahawks on game day, our employees may choose to wear a Seahawks jersey in place of our standard uniform, which is required," the company's statement said. "To prevent any possible conflicts, the option of wearing other teams' jerseys is not allowed.

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10332816/super-bowl-teen-fired-wearing-denver-broncos-jersey-work

CoachChaz
01-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Well...if it's written company policy...it's hard to argue. I would think maybe asking him to go home and change would be a better idea, but who knows how it all transpired

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Well...if it's written company policy...it's hard to argue. I would think maybe asking him to go home and change would be a better idea, but who knows how it all transpired

In the article it states that he was sent home to change, but he did not come back. He learned the next day that he had been fired

weazel
01-22-2014, 01:49 PM
In the article it states that he was sent home to change, but he did not come back. He learned the next day that he had been fired

then he wasn't fired for wearing a Broncos jersey, he was fired for not coming back to work. Stupid article

CoachChaz
01-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Yeah...I think I'd have done the same thing (fire him). Especially in an industry where you can find a replacement in 5 minutes

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2014, 01:58 PM
then he wasn't fired for wearing a Broncos jersey, he was fired for not coming back to work. Stupid article

OK - so sorry you wasted your time reading it, or at least reading what I posted

weazel
01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
OK - so sorry you wasted your time reading it, or at least reading what I posted

I'm confused, I'm not sure why you're taking offense to it being a stupid article, Carol. If you were the one who wrote it, I am sorry I find it stupid and misleading. If you didn't write it, you have no reason to take offense or be sorry.

Dapper Dan
01-22-2014, 02:54 PM
That's kinda petty, I think. But it really doesn't matter what I think. They can find an employee to easily replace him. And it's not like they lost any support. They probably gained a lot Seacoks fans.

Army Bronco
01-22-2014, 02:59 PM
I was told I couldn't wear my Bronc is hat in my Army uniform today. I eventually took off the hat...lol

Davii
01-22-2014, 03:05 PM
I was told I couldn't wear my Bronc is hat in my Army uniform today. I eventually took off the hat...lol

Nobody complained about my jersey.

broncofaninfla
01-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Sounds like he was fired for not returning back to work more than wearing a Broncos jersey.

Joel
01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Sounds like he was fired for not returning back to work more than wearing a Broncos jersey.
Agreed. The person who SHOULD be fired, IMHO, is whoever designed Seattles teal-and-lime home unis. That's not just because we're playing them in two weeks; I've hated those colors for years: It looks like a bar bathroom on St. Patricks Day. Another reason I'm glad we're wearing the orange jerseys (though I still prefer the blue ones; I realize that makes me a small minority.)

Army Bronco
01-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Nobody complained about my jersey.

4173 lol. Matches. Put some stripes on it !!

Army Bronco
01-22-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm about to get in trouble for this..lol Go Broncos!!!!

pnbronco
01-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I was the only vendor to wear a Bronco t-shirt on Sunday, I was in Tucson. There were several Pat vendors that had on Pat clothing. Since I own my business I didn't get in trouble. I did scare a few customers when I yelled out loud for TD's, or the great stops.....man it's a reflex for me. They didn't see the ear bud so I could listen to the radio and I'm sure I looked like a nut case with the fist pump and loud yell....oh well...:lol:

Lancane
01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
The article is misleading but I also believe that the company needs to be investigated and either cleared or held accountable. It's really easy to change company policy on a webpage or on a social network, too easy in fact. Not that I am arguing that his firing is unjust if it stems from not returning to work, but you would think that ESPN or any other news media outlet would have thoroughly investigated the claims and it sounds like the company isn't defending them firing him for not returning but for the jersey incident itself which is even more suspect to be honest. Plus, there have been some less then honorable stories coming out of Washington this year in regards to the Seachicken fan base, several incidents have occurred which have shown their fans in a negative light.

Davii
01-22-2014, 04:24 PM

No comment.

Northman
01-22-2014, 04:36 PM
He was fired for not coming back but i can understand his dilemma. Its a stupid policy to begin with.

FanInAZ
01-22-2014, 04:44 PM

Call me up if you need me to come & testify at your Court Marshal :defense:

zbeg
01-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah...I think I'd have done the same thing (fire him). Especially in an industry where you can find a replacement in 5 minutes

Where are they going to find a Seahawks fan old enough?

Army Bronco
01-23-2014, 01:23 AM

No comment.You love the ACU ...you know it.

Dzone
01-23-2014, 01:45 AM
That kid knew he wasnt supposed to wear Bronco clothes and he did anyway. He was probably wanting attention. Its the same way at a denver sports bar, during a raider game, invariably someone walks in in raider gear and cheers for the raiders, just for attention and to piss people off. I dont understand those people. The kid didnt come back in a standard uniform, so he was fired. He deserved to be fired. So they twist the story and say he was fired over the wrong jersey

Army Bronco
01-23-2014, 09:50 AM
That kid knew he wasnt supposed to wear Bronco clothes and he did anyway. He was probably wanting attention. Its the same way at a denver sports bar, during a raider game, invariably someone walks in in raider gear and cheers for the raiders, just for attention and to piss people off. I dont understand those people. The kid didnt come back in a standard uniform, so he was fired. He deserved to be fired. So they twist the story and say he was fired over the wrong jersey No, it was the right jersey...lol