PDA

View Full Version : Photo of Von Miller smoking a blunt surfaces

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 07:23 PM
This is from the guys over at Black Sports Online – a new photo of Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller smoking what appears to be marijuana.

Obviously weed is legal in Colorado, but that still doesn’t change the fact the NFL has not softened its stance on players using it.

After being suspended for the first six games of the 2013 season, one more positive test for Miller would result in at least a year long ban from the NFL before he could apply to be reinstated.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://cover32.com/broncos/2014/01/21/photo-of-von-miller-smoking-a-blunt-surfaces/

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Not sure when this photo was taken. No one can prove its Marijuana.

But this sure doesn't help Von. I hope this is an old photo....for his sake I hope this isn't a recent photo.

Not a smart guy at all.

BroncoWave
01-21-2014, 07:31 PM
It would seem impossible to verify when it was taken, so he probably won't see any reprecussions for it.

Having said that, if it was taken recently, he is a retarded shit who deserves anything negative that comes his way.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 07:48 PM
It would seem impossible to verify when it was taken, so he probably won't see any reprecussions for it.

Having said that, if it was taken recently, he is a retarded shit who deserves anything negative that comes his way.

Just raises another red flag for the NFL and gives them more reasons to test him all offseason long.

I bet this was old but still doesn't help Von. And whoever shared the photo isn't a friend of his...he needs to choose who he hangs around more wisely.

MOtorboat
01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Just raises another red flag for the NFL and gives them more reasons to test him all offseason long.

Collective bargaining agreement won't let them do that. I don't believe they can test him until OTAs.

pulse
01-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Yeah, Von Miller cannot be implicated based on this photograph, period. However, he can be harassed by the NFL with frequent drug tests for the remainder of his career.

I will add to this: The NFL is going to have to make a decision about marijuana in the not too distant future. A player cannot be suspended for smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol. If states are going to start falling more and more in favor of legalization, the NFL's going to have to give into it eventually.

dogfish
01-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Collective bargaining agreement won't let them do that. I don't believe they can test him until OTAs.

i thought guys in stage three could be tested any time. . . is that not the case?

ShaneFalco
01-21-2014, 08:08 PM
quick call the moral judgement police.

/care

slim
01-21-2014, 08:08 PM

I thought they could test him like 10 times a month?

ShaneFalco
01-21-2014, 08:10 PM
I should teach von how to roll one, that blunt looks way to skinny and curvy.

MOtorboat
01-21-2014, 08:13 PM
i thought guys in stage three could be tested any time. . . is that not the case?

I thought that was only in season.

SR
01-21-2014, 08:14 PM
quick call the moral judgement police. /care

Considering its against the ******* law, yeah.

MOtorboat
01-21-2014, 08:14 PM

/care

Hey stoner boi, use your Google skills and go figure this out for us.

Slick
01-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Falco, I'm in your corner on the legalization front, but you have to understand that Von is not you or me. He's going to have to be smart about it until he retires from football.

I don't want him to smoke until he hangs up his cleats. If he does, he damn sure better make sure there aren't any cameras around. Even his own.

OrangeHoof
01-21-2014, 08:15 PM
That's nothing. I have a video of Terence Knighton smoking LaGarette Blount for four quarters on Sunday and smoking Brady as well.

BroncoWave
01-21-2014, 08:16 PM

/care

I don't think a single poster on this board has a moral problem with him smoking pot. Our main issue is him potentially torpedoing his career and really hurting the long term future of our defense in the process.

slim
01-21-2014, 08:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9828393/hot-read-von-miller-benefited-little-known-rule-suspensions

Miller's rocky offseason landed him in Stage 3 of the NFL's policy, meaning he can be subjected to unannounced testing up to 10 times per month for the remainder of his career.

SR
01-21-2014, 08:27 PM
That's nothing. I have a video of Terence Knighton smoking LaGarette Blount for four quarters on Sunday and smoking Brady as well.

Zing

Tned
01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
I should teach von how to roll one, that blunt looks way to skinny and curvy.

Keep your pro pot crusade in P&R, this isn't the place for it.

ShaneFalco
01-21-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't think a single poster on this board has a moral problem with him smoking pot. Our main issue is him potentially torpedoing his career and really hurting the long term future of our defense in the process.
i agree a little bit, he better keep his feet clean until the league changes its rules. But its beyond hypocritical for me to sit there and judge over something as small as that. If he is gunna smoke, he is gunna smoke, its his career to torpedo, not ours.

ShaneFalco
01-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Keep your pro pot crusade in P&R, this isn't the place for it.

This is thread about smoking a blunt.....

LOL.

Dapper Dan
01-21-2014, 08:32 PM
That's tobacco.

SR
01-21-2014, 08:32 PM
This is thead about smoking a blunt. Dont bother responding to me.

Considering he owns this website he can respond to who he wants, how he wants, when he wants.

SR
01-21-2014, 08:33 PM
This is thread about smoking a blunt..... LOL.

I'm faster

slim
01-21-2014, 08:33 PM
#photoshop

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Lol!!

ShaneFalco
01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Okay hypocrites. have fun.

Thread should be moved, if you actually cared about discussion.

Tned
01-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Pretty sure in stage two a player can be tested at any time, at the medical directors discretion. With the exception of not more than 10 times in a month, as mentioned earlier.

slim
01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Have you guys actually looked at the pic?

It's not even real.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Who the hell cares if its moral or not moral?

Millers a Bronco and its against NFL policy to smoke marijuana. He's on our team and we don't want him to be suspended a whole year.

THATS the point pot heads.

Tned
01-21-2014, 08:38 PM
This is thread about smoking a blunt.....

LOL.

This is a thread about Von and possible suspension, etc from the picture. P&R is the place to post pro/anti drug crusade stuff. You know that, so don't play dumb on the subject.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Have you guys actually looked at the pic?

It's not even real.

You are saying its photoshop?

Nomad
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Could Von use weed with a medical card? Not sure if that's part of the zero tolerance rule of the NFL.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Could Von use weed with a medical card? Not sure if that's part of the zero tolerance rule of the NFL.

I was wondering the same thing. If so, why dont these guys just get medical marijuana?

dogfish
01-21-2014, 08:43 PM

no. . .

Nomad
01-21-2014, 08:45 PM
no. . .

Thanks for being blunt!:lol:

Timmy!
01-21-2014, 08:57 PM

/care

Falco, I'm in your corner on the legalization front, but you have to understand that Von is not you or me. He's going to have to be smart about it until he retires from football.

I don't want him to smoke until he hangs up his cleats. If he does, he damn sure better make sure there aren't any cameras around. Even his own.

Slick is correct. Both anti and pro weed arguements don't matter when you are employed and your employer says THC don't fly here.....especially when u already were stupid about it. That said, likely an old photo.....I hope.

BroncoJoe
01-21-2014, 09:03 PM

I was wondering the same thing. If so, why dont these guys just get medical marijuana?

Doesn't work that way with the employer.

Alcohol is legal. I can't show up to work with an alcohol level in my blood. If he really wants to smoke on the job, he can always get a job at a 420 store.

Slick
01-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Priorities.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-21-2014, 09:33 PM

/care
Morality is not necessarily what comes to mind here...stupidity maybe.

artie_dale
01-21-2014, 09:39 PM
If looks like a rat (this photo), if it is sneaky like a rat (intentionally tries to manipulate test process), and if it bottom line acts like a rat (numerous traffic violations without a license to drive), its a fricken rat.

Dzone
01-21-2014, 09:46 PM
response deleted.

Dzone
01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
These guys need to do their recreational drugs away from cell phone cameras. Geez, what are they stupid? Either that or get on a training program that bans that kind of shit in their body. These are multimillion dollar athletes and their employers should be able to control every damn thing they put in their body. They should get fined for eating or drinking anything but Paleo. LOL

Dzone
01-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Morality is not necessarily what comes to mind here...stupidity maybe.
Judgement doesnt come to mind?

artie_dale
01-21-2014, 10:07 PM

You know, I actually believe weed should be treated no differently than alcohol. BUT, what I do have a problem with is, if an employer states in a contract that while you work for them that you will not be allowed to do it, then that's that. The fact he tried to manipulate the system in order to get away with it and the fact that he flat out lied about it all and the fact that he's had multiple violations that have to do with something as simple as getting a damn driver's license... Yeah, stupid and dishonest.

SR
01-21-2014, 10:13 PM
response deleted.

Good.

UnderArmour
01-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Good.

I don't understand where you contributed to the discussion here. Thanks for gracing us with your presence?

As other have stated in this thread, the time the photo was taken cannot be verified. Von has been subject to heavy scrutiny from NFL drug-testers since entering stage two of the substance abuse policy. Now that he is in stage three and seeing what happened to Justin Blackmon, it is unlikely Von Miller would be stupid enough to endanger his career with the next two years determining whether we make him the highest paid defender in the league or not.

broncobryce
01-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Means nothing, my buddy rolls his own cigarettes, it looks like weed but it's not. This wouldn't hold up in any court. If he fails another drug test, then we can talk.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Looking at it closely - I am not sure that is even Von - could be someone who looks like him.

SR
01-21-2014, 10:53 PM
I don't understand where you contributed to the discussion here. Thanks for gracing us with your presence?

As other have stated in this thread, the time the photo was taken cannot be verified. Von has been subject to heavy scrutiny from NFL drug-testers since entering stage two of the substance abuse policy. Now that he is in stage three and seeing what happened to Justin Blackmon, it is unlikely Von Miller would be stupid enough to endanger his career with the next two years determining whether we make him the highest paid defender in the league or not.

You're welcome.

As others have stated, the photo is a farce. I just feel compelled to talk shit to people this evening. I've had a couple glasses of Knob Creek.

Dzone
01-21-2014, 10:54 PM
Im giving Von the benefit of the doubt and Im going to assume he has tobacco in that rolling paper, which is LEGAL and is not banned by the NFL! Now that would be cool, just as long as he isnt smoking that damn cannibanoid. He should try just buying a pack of camels next time. Lot easier than rolling your smokes

SR
01-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Means nothing, my buddy rolls his own cigarettes, it looks like weed but it's not. This wouldn't hold up in any court. If he fails another drug test, then we can talk.

"Rolling" smokes is stupid. You can spend $50, get a bag of tobacco, a 100-pack of filtered cig papers, and a tobacco deal that pushes the tobacco in to the filtered papers and it looks like a Marlboro.

SR
01-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Im giving Von the benefit of the doubt and Im going to assume he has tobacco in that rolling paper, which is LEGAL and is not banned by the NFL! Now that would be cool, just as long as he isnt smoking that damn cannibanoid. He should try just buying a pack of camels next time. Lot easier than rolling your smokes

If I was a professional athlete I would take the best possible care of my body...no cigarettes, no booze, no anything. Von is a moron and that has been well documented. I hope, if this is him and this is a questionable photo as has been mentioned, he will grow up one day and get his goddamn life straight. Such a wasted talent if he can't.

ShaneFalco
01-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Maybe he is waiting for robotic lungs in 2050.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Look closely at the picture on the link in post 1, and then look at Von's picture on the following link. I really don't think that is Von

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13976/von-miller

Dzone
01-21-2014, 11:19 PM
If I was a professional athlete I would take the best possible care of my body...no cigarettes, no booze, no anything. Von is a moron and that has been well documented. I hope, if this is him and this is a questionable photo as has been mentioned, he will grow up one day and get his goddamn life straight. Such a wasted talent if he can't.
No doubt. Ya, I was just messin around about the tobacco thing. These guys should be treating their bodies like they are Olympic athletes who must discipline themselves, mind , body and soul to winning a gold medal. For the chance to make millions of dollars per year for a few years, you bet your ass they should have the best chef in the business, best trainers,m everything and wouldnt defile their body with sugar or any other toxin. No alcohol or weed. None. When someone is taking millions of dollars per year for granted, they dont appreciate what they have at the moment.

ShaneFalco
01-21-2014, 11:36 PM
These guys should be treating their bodies like they are Olympic athletes who must discipline themselves, mind , body and soul to winning a gold medal.

http://www.reviewstl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Shaun-White-Wins-Gold-Medal-2010-Winter-Olympics-in-Vancouver.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-y89jjwUdrGQ/TwJjCnmdfvI/AAAAAAAAGAU/e17aSs6NdXs/s1600/ross.jpg

http://reachforthewall.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Phelps-gold.jpg

:lol:

Simple Jaded
01-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Von isn't immoral, he's an idiot.

Dzone
01-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Was that canadian a drug addict or something?...a steroid freak?

ShaneFalco
01-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Was that canadian a drug addict or something?...a steroid freak?
he smoked that bc bud.

MOtorboat
01-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Right.

And Ross Rebagliati was stripped of his gold medal for testing positive for using drugs.

This proves a point how?

Miller shouldn't be punished for a sketchy photo from sketchy blogs. But his probable use of marijuana can get him banned from playing football. What part of that do you not understand?

nevcraw
01-22-2014, 12:25 AM
yawn! we are going to the super Bowl against the best D in the league… Von will be doing the same we are doing.. watching in street clothes.

wayninja
01-22-2014, 01:30 AM
Why would Von allow that picture to be taken? Why isn't he holding up a sign that says "I'm Von ******* miller!" in one hand, a current newspaper in the other, and his drivers license affixed to his lapel?

Sorry, if you don't post sources or have any corroborating evidence, I'm not sure why anyone would believe this is anything other than a traffic grab.

Dzone
01-22-2014, 01:51 AM
Its bogus. waste of time

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2014, 01:58 AM

Yes

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2014, 02:02 AM
I hope you guys are right, but it sure looks real to me.

dogfish
01-22-2014, 02:08 AM
I hope you guys are right, but it sure looks real to me.

yep. . . it may well be old-- quite probably is, i'd say-- but that is von, and that sure as hell is NOT frickin' tobacco. . . i've had friends who have hand-rolled cigarettes since the 90's, have done so myself at times. . . i've never once seen anybody use a blunt wrap to roll tobacco-- that's head in the sand type thinkin', right there. . .

still, i doubt anyone cares that much about this. . . the league was already hawking him, it's not like they're going to up their vigilance even further. . . as long as he passes his tests, there's no issue. . .

that said, he really IS a complete idiot if this is in fact a recent picture. . .

DenBronx
01-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Look closely at the picture on the link in post 1, and then look at Von's picture on the following link. I really don't think that is Von

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13976/von-miller

The photo looks exactly like Von. Not sure if he has a body double or not...but I think thats the real Von Miller.

This might be an older photo...hopefully it is.

Nomad
01-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Alcohol is legal. I can't show up to work with an alcohol level in my blood. If he really wants to smoke on the job, he can always get a job at a 420 store.

Duh! Prescription drugs (muscle relaxers) is legal as long as prescribed by a doctor, and I don't know of many employers than condone using them while on the job either. Obviously Von's not working at the moment due an injury, and it was a legit question being it's legal in CO to be prescribed medicinal marijuana.

MasterShake
01-22-2014, 08:53 AM
It’s unclear when the above photo was taken.

http://cover32.com/broncos/2014/01/21/photo-of-von-miller-smoking-a-blunt-surfaces/

So it's "unclear" when the photo was taken, but we are going to go ahead and run this story that we are crediting to ANOTHER site without actually linking to the original story.

This is blog marketing 101. They are writing the "article" with keyword heavy phrases being vague enough to look like a news story instead of wild speculation, and they make sure that the only links they do provide in their "article" are links back to their site to raise their search engine rankings. This is designed to get page views, not report some breaking story. Unless a major sports outlet picks this up, I'm just going to assume the photo is old.

Dzone
01-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Duh! , and it was a legit question being it's legal in CO to be prescribed medicinal marijuana.
Marijuana is not legal, its against federal law!!! Anyone using pot for any reason in Colorado is a criminal. If Von or anyone is smoking pot, some will say they should go to prison for breaking a federal law. Screw the fact that Colorado voters acted to "legalize" it.
That has to be an old picture of Von. He cant possibly be that stupid. No way .

BroncoJoe
01-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Duh! Prescription drugs (muscle relaxers) is legal as long as prescribed by a doctor, and I don't know of many employers than condone using them while on the job either. Obviously Von's not working at the moment due an injury, and it was a legit question being it's legal in CO to be prescribed medicinal marijuana.

And it was a legit answer. I wasn't trying to put you down or anything.

I've had several co-workers try the medical marijuana excuse. They're working at a gas station now or unemployed. Von may not be "working" at the moment, but he is still employed by the Denver Broncos and NFL.

Mike
01-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Well, I imagine the league will be asking him to give them a sample in the next couple of days. It is what it is. I hope for the best, but his judgement isn't that great so I won't be surprised if he gets popped again. Not that I necessarily feel that picture is indicative of anything recent, just talking about something happening in the future.

I am really interested in seeing how contract talks play out though.

weazel
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
I couldnt care less if they smoke weed BUT as long as its against the rules, Von is almost a liability. Just dont know if and when you will lose the guy for a year so I would try and trade him

wayninja
01-22-2014, 11:12 AM
I couldnt care less if they smoke weed BUT as long as its against the rules, Von is almost a liability. Just dont know if and when you will lose the guy for a year so I would try and trade him

Based on this blog/picture?

weazel
01-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Right.

And Ross Rebagliati was stripped of his gold medal for testing positive for using drugs.

no he wasn't

Lancane
01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

Not in Colorado it's not nor in Washington...wait, both states who legalized it have teams in the Superbowl, ****, marijuana is a sport enhancement drug!

Joel
01-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Von Miller thinking, If I can't play for almost a year anyway, might as well....

Did Miller come to work high? If so, that was stupider than getting stoned when the league had already busted him. If not, I don't know of any places that regulary randomly test employees to see if they had a beer in the last month. As long as it's criminal, the NFL will protect its brand, but if it's ever decriminalized nationally, they'll probably be forced to revise policy. For that matter, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb (to name but a few) notoriously drank like fish throughout Prohibition, and no one cared it was illegal.

"Rolling" smokes is stupid. You can spend $50, get a bag of tobacco, a 100-pack of filtered cig papers, and a tobacco deal that pushes the tobacco in to the filtered papers and it looks like a Marlboro.
If people want to spend $0.50/cigarette, sure; I always thought it was stupid to pay extra for a machine to do something I can do myself in about 10 seconds.

Right.

This proves a point how?

Miller shouldn't be punished for a sketchy photo from sketchy blogs. But his probable use of marijuana can get him banned from playing football. What part of that do you not understand?
He got his medal back (while still alive, unlike when Jim Thorpe was accused of playing a couple minor league baseball games) because pot wasn't on the list of banned substances.

NFL policy is NFL policy, so violators are subject to disciplinary response; anyone who dislikes that can always seek work elsewhere.

That said, there's a grave difference between recreational drugs that almost always harm athletic ability and athletes on drugs that give unfair advantages against competitors (for roster spots as well as games.) The second case cheats competitors playing clean, and creates a culture obliging EVERYONE to dope just to stay even, both current pros fighting for the same roster spots and games as well as kids who dream of being like their idols but know doping's the only way in a league where EVERYONE dopes.

That's a far bigger deal than a player getting wasted (legally or not) at a party. I'd like nothing better than for the whole Seahawks team to go out the night before the Super Bowl and get so drunk they can't even see by game time. On the other hand, the prospect Champ retiring without a Ring just because half the Seahawks are on drugs that make them stronger and faster than they would be clean really angers me. So does the prospect of tens of millions of HS sophomores poisioning themselves for a couple decades just to reach the SB like Richard Sherman.

It's not the same; even the NFL recognizes that in establishing a substance abuse and SEPARATE performance enhancing drug program (congrats to Brandon Browner for getting himself in trouble with BOTH in different incidents; that took some real effort.)

powderaddict
01-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Without knowing when the photo was taken (it could be college days for all I know), I'm not going to get all worked up over this.

Everyone knows Von smoked pot. This is not new information.

The league is already testing him for drug use. Until I hear he failed again, I'm not going to get all worked up over a picture of "doobious" origins. (yes, that was a lame pun!)

Tned
01-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Not in Colorado it's not nor in Washington...wait, both states who legalized it have teams in the Superbowl, ****, marijuana is a sport enhancement drug!

It actually is still against the federal law in CO and WA. However, the current administration is not going to direct the DOJ to go after guys smoking dope at Sports Authority field or the like.

Regardless, the issue here is it's against NFL rules, agreed to in the current and previous CBA, so legal or not (state or federal) has no bearing on use by NFL players.

Lancane
01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
It actually is still against the federal law in CO and WA. However, the current administration is not going to direct the DOJ to go after guys smoking dope at Sports Authority field or the like.

Regardless, the issue here is it's against NFL rules, agreed to in the current and previous CBA, so legal or not (state or federal) has no bearing on use by NFL players.

I never said it wasn't against the rules, just that it's not against the law. And yes, while still illegal according to the Federal Government, they've pretty much decriminalized it for citizens who grow and partake of the drug, focusing more on those trafficking marijuana into the US from other countries - not everywhere, but there has been drastic changes in the enforcement of those laws against citizens of the US.

But you are correct, I don't believe that the league is going to up and change it's position just because the world and individual states have, even when fully legalized I believe the NFL will continue to enforce their rules on players who themselves are involved with the drug no matter in what aspect. Just as they do when it comes to crimes committed while under the influence of alcohol.

Dzone
01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Trade him. He is a criminal because he smokes pot. The next thing you know, he will be smoking smarties

Joel
01-22-2014, 04:35 PM
I never said it wasn't against the rules, just that it's not against the law. And yes, while still illegal according to the Federal Government, they've pretty much decriminalized it for citizens who grow and partake of the drug, focusing more on those trafficking marijuana into the US from other countries - not everywhere, but there has been drastic changes in the enforcement of those laws against citizens of the US.

But you are correct, I don't believe that the league is going to up and change it's position just because the world and individual states have, even when fully legalized I believe the NFL will continue to enforce their rules on players who themselves are involved with the drug no matter in what aspect. Just as they do when it comes to crimes committed while under the influence of alcohol.
The difference is those are CRIMES, just as possession of weed is under federal law. The League Office (or, let's be real, the owners) don't want consumers associating the NFL with criminals. Even ten years ago players good enough to sell tickets got a lot of free passes, but then a few Pro Bowlers murder people, get caught operating an armory out of their garage and kill someone while driving drunk; things change, especially as the NFL tries to expand a US market already at marginal returns and convince parents playing football won't ruin and prematurely end their lives.

If the feds OFFICIALLY decriminalize, that'll probably change, if only because of the mountain of hypocrisy in a company condemning one legal recreational drug when its broadcasts can't go ten minutes without a barrage of ads for ANOTHER legal recreational drug. Until/unless federal decriminalization happens though, the NFL couldn't care less about the law, but will protect its image.

Regardless, the NFL's a private organization in which participation by all parties is voluntary and conditional. If it wants to punish participants for smoking pot, jaywalking or murder, it will.

UnderArmour
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM

It is against the law. Federal law is the law of the land (Supremacy Clause): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCulloch_v._Maryland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacy_Clause
Tned's response correctly outlined the current state of affairs with regards to marijuana "legalization." Federal agents still hold the legal authority and reserve the right to enforce the Federal law, even though they are opting to not do so for a myriad of political reasons.

It is unlikely that the NFL will change its policy on illegal substances and go against the DEA. Until marijuana becomes legal under Federal law, it will probably not become a legal substance in the NFL. If Congress changes the law to allow an exception for medicinal use, it is likely the NFL will follow suit and allow its players to use it with a prescription just as they do with Adderall.

wayninja
01-22-2014, 05:45 PM
It is against the law. Federal law is the law of the land (Supremacy Clause): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCulloch_v._Maryland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacy_Clause
Tned's response correctly outlined the current state of affairs with regards to marijuana "legalization." Federal agents still hold the legal authority and reserve the right to enforce the Federal law, even though they are opting to not do so for a myriad of political reasons.

It is unlikely that the NFL will change its policy on illegal substances and go against the DEA. Until marijuana becomes legal under Federal law, it will probably not become a legal substance in the NFL. If Congress changes the law to allow an exception for medicinal use, it is likely the NFL will follow suit and allow its players to use it with a prescription just as they do with Adderall.

The Cole memorandum makes what you are saying technically true, but not practically so. The federal government has effectively abdicated enforcement to the states, making the laws about small scale possession and use a paper tiger at best.

Tned
01-22-2014, 05:47 PM
As I have not been in any of the CBA negotiations, obviously, so I don't know if this is something that the NFL wants or the player reps or both. Either way, I think it's like the personal conduct policy, in that the NFL is a BIG business and a hugely profitable brand and they don't want it associated with DUI's, domestic abusers, drug users, etc. Right or wrong, it's their business and that's what they've decided.

We've had players suspended for violating both the substance abuse and personal conduct policies. It sucks, and an argument could me made that it's none of the NFL's business what players do on their own time, whether it's getting pulled over drunk, smacking their girlfriend around, getting arrested for a gun charge or smoking dope.

However, this is a huge business where the players and owners are basically splitting down the middle 10-12 billion dollars, and BOTH parties have agreed that it is better for players that conduct these activities to be publicly punished.

Anyone that keeps focusing on the big mean NFL punishing the players is not grasping the full picture and the fact that player's union is just as eager to protect it's 4-6 billion or so dollars in salaries.

wayninja
01-22-2014, 05:53 PM
As I have not been in any of the CBA negotiations, obviously, so I don't know if this is something that the NFL wants or the player reps or both. Either way, I think it's like the personal conduct policy, in that the NFL is a BIG business and a hugely profitable brand and they don't want it associated with DUI's, domestic abusers, drug users, etc. Right or wrong, it's their business and that's what they've decided.

We've had players suspended for violating both the substance abuse and personal conduct policies. It sucks, and an argument could me made that it's none of the NFL's business what players do on their own time, whether it's getting pulled over drunk, smacking their girlfriend around, getting arrested for a gun charge or smoking dope.

However, this is a huge business where the players and owners are basically splitting down the middle 10-12 billion dollars, and BOTH parties have agreed that it is better for players that conduct these activities to be publicly punished.

Anyone that keeps focusing on the big mean NFL punishing the players is not grasping the full picture and the fact that player's union is just as eager to protect it's 4-6 billion or so dollars in salaries.

I agree. The NFL has no obligation to accept something as a matter of corporate policy just because it is legal. It's really as simple as that. If they think it will cast the NFL in a negative light, they won't allow it.

The wrangling over legality and personal 'time' is irrelevant. The players know what they are signing up for and are typically compensated accordingly. All players have the right to walk away if they can't accept it.

MOtorboat
01-22-2014, 06:00 PM
no he wasn't

I remember him being stripped of his medal. I did not remember him getting it back. My bad.

Tned
01-22-2014, 07:01 PM
I agree. The NFL has no obligation to accept something as a matter of corporate policy just because it is legal. It's really as simple as that. If they think it will cast the NFL in a negative light, they won't allow it.

The wrangling over legality and personal 'time' is irrelevant. The players know what they are signing up for and are typically compensated accordingly. All players have the right to walk away if they can't accept it.

We sometimes associate players as the "little guy" being abused by the big corporate NFL, but completely lose sight of the fact that the players essentially get half of the total revenue* of the NFL. So, not only are all of these personal conduct and other "violations" agreed to, and in some cases pushed by, the players, they are also just as big a part of the BIG corporate giant as the owners.

I asterisked the nearly half, because the players are guaranteed 47% of the total revenue over the 10 year deal. Now, while there are some expenses that the owners can take that come off the top before the 47% paid out, the vast majority of club expenses (management salaries, coaching staff, facility fees, etc.) come out of the owners 53%. So, on a "net" basis, the players are really the "BIG" guy in terms of raking in the billions.

So, we really need to dispense with the mentality of the big bad NFL beating up on a guy for smoking a little harmless weed, or smacking his good for nothing girlfriend around, because it isn't the NFL owners or commissioner doing it, it is the "NFL" which is as much the players union as it is the owners or commissioner.

Joel
01-22-2014, 07:02 PM

Fair point. Frankly, I think the NFLPA is generally more inclined to side with owners than most people would expect, because each sides motivation to protect its respective interests coincides more often. Regardless, while federal law maintains the risk of marijuana use resulting in front page and six o'clock news photos of NFL stars led away in handcuffs, all NFL members profiting from the game will have zero tolerance for it. Whether or how much it's enforced, till federal law changes Miller should either abstain or call Ricky Williams to ask what playing in the CFL's like.