PDA

View Full Version : Champe Bailey should retire if the Broncos win the Super Bowl-thoughts?

reimx007
01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
I've seen a couple of articles saying that, logically, Peyton Manning should retire if he wins the Super Bowl. I think we all know that isn't going to happen.

However, does it make sense for Bailey to retire? I think it does. Think about it, the Broncos are to pay him, what, 10 million next year? That's not going to happen. They have too many FAs they need to pay off, including Bailey's replacement DRC. They will either cut him or ask him to take a major pay cut and accept a backup role. I don't think the money would be the deciding factor for him, he's played though some big contracts and loves Denver too much to take a bit more money elsewhere.

However, foot injury or not, his play isn't anywhere near what it used to be. He is his own harshest critic, and takes it very hard when he doesn't play the way that he knows he can play.

With that being the case I don't know if he would want to (or should) keep playing after winning a Super Bowl.

weazel
01-21-2014, 05:42 PM
move him to kicker

Hawgdriver
01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Champè? Vous parlez du champion?

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 05:56 PM
I doubt Manning retires. He's the best in the NFL right now so noway that happens. I doubt he starts going all Brett Favrish on us too.

As for Champ, I would like to see him go out on top as a champ.

NightTerror218
01-21-2014, 06:05 PM
I could see both going out on top. But manning will prob return for another shot as long as his offense stays the same. Which could be factor in keeping decker and moreno

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 06:08 PM
I could see both going out on top. But manning will prob return for another shot as long as his offense stays the same. Which could be factor in keeping decker and moreno

Manning loves Moreno and Decker. We could keep both of those guys if Champ retires. That would be huge motivation for Manning to keep playing.

If we can't get a deal done we will simply franchise Decker and still get to keep these guys around for at least one more run.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Champ is still a pretty good corner. I don't see him retiring yet.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Champ is still a pretty good corner. I don't see him retiring yet.

I don't see him retiring which will make the choice tough on Elway. No way Elway will want to pay him 10 mill a year when DRC and Harris both need new contracts. Just don't see it happening. He went head to head with Dumervil about his "out of whack" contract. If Bailey had any common sense at all he would realize his skill set has declined.

Dzone
01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
If he can still bring it and shut down Seattles best, then keep playing while youre still young forever. Forever young...
So we live a life like a video
When the sun is always out and you never get old
And the champagne’s always cold
And the music is always good
And the pretty girls just happen to stop by in the hood

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-21-2014, 06:17 PM
I don't see him retiring which will make the choice tough on Elway. No way Elway will want to pay him 10 mill a year when DRC and Harris both need new contracts. Just don't see it happening. He went head to head with Dumervil about his "out of whack" contract. If Bailey had any common sense at all he would realize his skill set has declined.

Agreed, he's not getting $10 million next year. We have 2 other corners at this point who might be as good as him right now. If course there's no gaurantee DRC will be back.

Joel
01-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Ask me in the offseason; right now that's an eternity away for everyone but Elway. The next two weeks are what matter NOW.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Agreed, he's not getting $10 million next year. We have 2 other corners at this point who might be as good as him right now. If course there's no gaurantee DRC will be back.

Someone might offer DRC a deal we just can not afford to match. I would like us to retain at least 2 out of the 3 between Harris, DRC and Champ.

My gut tells me we must keep DRC. He has been outstanding this year and so was Harris up until he got hurt.

I truly think Wesly Woodyard is going to be the odd man out between all of our FAs. In a perfect world no one leaves but there's that whole cap space thing getting in our way.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Ask me in the offseason; right now that's an eternity away for everyone but Elway. The next two weeks are what matter NOW.

Two weeks until we play again seems like an eternity. Why do you think we are disscussing this? Lol

cmc0605
01-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Winning a super bowl seems like an odd reason to retire, at least if he still has the passion for the game.

But what I really don't get in these discussions are the assumptions (always taken for granted) that Champ is washed up. Where is the evidence for this? I'm not going to deny he's less than the 27 year old Champ, but it's pretty obvious from recent opposing gameplans that not targeting Champ or DRC was discussed once or twice. Maybe those opposing offensive coordinators know a few things. I think a lot of fans have just accepted a talking point that probably originated after one bad half of a playoff game last year (none of which was even "speed" related). He can still run with a lot of (all?) receivers (he was stride for stride on the deep ball Brady overthrew the other night, and not even sure he was targeted outside of that). He also has a "captain" role and the D has improved since he returned, even after guys like Von went down.

Of course, the front office always has to weight the salary someone is demanding vs. that players relative contribution. I'd agree DRC is a priority. That's a legitimate issue which we have no info to work from (e.g., Champ could take a big cut and try to go for two rings), but retiring for the sake of retiring after winning a SB makes no sense to me. Anyway, I'm sure his main focus is winning this one.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Winning a super bowl seems like an odd reason to retire, at least if he still has the passion for the game.

But what I really don't get in these discussions are the assumptions (always taken for granted) that Champ is washed up. Where is the evidence for this? I'm not going to deny he's less than the 27 year old Champ, but it's pretty obvious from recent opposing gameplans that not targeting Champ or DRC was discussed once or twice. Maybe those opposing offensive coordinators know a few things. I think a lot of fans have just accepted a talking point that probably originated after one bad half of a playoff game last year (none of which was even "speed" related). He can still run with a lot of (all?) receivers (he was stride for stride on the deep ball Brady overthrew the other night, and not even sure he was targeted outside of that). He also has a "captain" role and the D has improved since he returned, even after guys like Von went down.

Of course, the front office always has to weight the salary someone is demanding vs. that players relative contribution. That's a legitimate issue which we have no info to work from (e.g., he could take a big cut and try to go for two rings), but retiring for the sake of retiring after winning a SB makes no sense to me. Anyway, I'm sure his main focus is winning this one.

I just have a gut feeling even if we win it, Manning would still be hungry to win another. It's just in his DNA.

Joel
01-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Two weeks until we play again seems like an eternity. Why do you think we are disscussing this? Lol
I'm just so fixated on the Super Bowl right now I can't think of anything else. Which is probably why I've been up WAY too long. The tension of being so close and yet so far away, the urgency of doing it before Champ and Mannings windows close and the FA hits start coming, the hunger after abruptly coming up short when we had our best shot since '05. And, the complexity and facets of what's a truly fascinating matchup.

Also, the Seahawks being such stuck up, doped up, done nothing thugs that I want them DENIED and CRUSHED, but we're the last team left that can. There are few things more annoying than when a team like THAT actually has the talent to walk its loud, vain, dirty, thuggish talk; it's what makes the Pats so loathsome. I hate the Pack and Steelers mostly because of history, but they've generally been free of that kind of crap (though there were rumors of the '97 Pack assuring everyone of 16-0 in preseason.) It's like with Stabby McGee last year.

I just had a thought an hour or two ago: If Seattle wins, Brandon Browner gets a SB Ring, even though he's on a one year doping suspension that probably means he'll never play again.

We've GOTTA get this done, ya'll. THAT can't be allowed a Lombardi and SB Rings while Champ and Moreno get NOTHING. It's like when the '07 Giants beat the Pats: JUSTICE!

Okay, sorry; pay me no mind and go back to discussing what happens a few months AFTER our biggest game in 16 years. ;) By the way: Remaining Broncos from last AFCCG appearance are Champ Bailey and Chris Kuper (who was a rookie.) Pretty sure that's it.

Broncolingus
01-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Champ, retire...

Manning, not-retire...

Army Bronco
01-21-2014, 07:23 PM
I first thought this thread was saying that Champ already said he would retire if he won. I was worried.

Tned
01-30-2014, 08:45 AM
If I heard what I think I just heard, Manning who was speaking from the podium this morning was asked about Champ, winning it for him and such, and he referred to how Champ was asked this year about whether or not he would move to safety and he said Champ almost was insulted by the question. Manning said he believes he will stop playing when he can't be a CB anymore.

This was on the tail end of him talking about how incredible/impressive it is for someone to still be playing CB after 15 years in the league.

BroncoWave
01-30-2014, 08:49 AM
People forget, Elway didn't retire to "go out on top". If that were his reason, he would have left after the first title. He retired because he physically couldn't play anymore. The whole "going out on top" think is largely a myth IMO. Most players just play until they can't anymore.

chazoe60
01-30-2014, 08:55 AM
I heard on the radio that Champ graded out better than anyone else on our defense past week, even better than Pot Roast. Not sure if it's true but I don't seem to remember him giving up anything and I do remember him making some tackles.

What I'm really trying to say is that this is a stupid idea. Champ can still play. Jesus, just because he may not be the best corner in the league doesn't mean he can't play. Please, pay attention to the actual game on the field before making a thread like this.

Tned
01-30-2014, 09:10 AM
I heard on the radio that Champ graded out better than anyone else on our defense past week, even better than Pot Roast. Not sure if it's true but I don't seem to remember him giving up anything and I do remember him making some tackles.

What I'm really trying to say is that this is a stupid idea. Champ can still play. Jesus, just because he may not be the best corner in the league doesn't mean he can't play. Please, pay attention to the actual game on the field before making a thread like this.

The only play I can remember being made on him was the Edelman TD, but I think they were in some kind of zone on the goal line, and Edelman slipped in between him and a LB (can't remember which), so I don't know if he was Champ's responsibility or the LB's.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM

Kris is about to go postal up in this piece.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 3h

Champ Bailey: "Corners my age either retire, stink it up or move to safety." Bailey doesn't want to do any of those things. #sbsmg #Broncos

Ravage!!!
01-30-2014, 12:53 PM
If Manning wanted to retire, he could have retired after having 4 neck surgeries on his neck and STILL been a 1st ballot HoFer. He had the 'oppertunity' to retire for a legit reason, and NO ONE would have questioned his reasoning. Instead, he rehabbed and came back. Now just had the most prolific passing display in NFL history. There is NO WAY Manning is thinking about retiring. Why would he? Play for as LONG as you can, because you can NEVER have what he has every sunday again in your life.

Bailey isn't going to retire unless he thinks he's finished. I really don't understand when someone says about someone else "I think they should retire." If Champ feels that he can't physically play anymore, and he can't find a job, then he'll retire. Until that point, he's going to strap on that chin strap and play football.

topscribe
01-30-2014, 01:53 PM

Of course, the front office always has to weight the salary someone is demanding vs. that players relative contribution. I'd agree DRC is a priority. That's a legitimate issue which we have no info to work from (e.g., Champ could take a big cut and try to go for two rings), but retiring for the sake of retiring after winning a SB makes no sense to me. Anyway, I'm sure his main focus is winning this one.
Word. ^

Champ, off another Pro Bowl season, suffers a severe foot injury, and all the
sudden he's washed up. The reason? He's old.

Really? Did anyone watch him in the playoff game against SD? How many
passes did he give up there?

Many people are saying that the Broncos will be addressing a need at CB in the
draft. CB is a need, and they are just going to categorically jettison Champ?
They might indeed draft someone, but what rookie will be better than Champ?
They might dump Bolden and even Jammer, but Champ? Not logical to me.

I believe they want to keep him if they can. Sure, they're going to ask him to
restructure. And he may very well do that. Even Champ knows his value isn't
as great as it was a few years ago, I'm sure.

If they can see any way at all, I believe Champ will be back. And not
necessarily as a backup. He may play the slot, yes, but because he's quick,
still has speed and exceptional instincts, knows offenses, and is strong, and a
great tackler. The bottom line is the defense is better with him and worse
without him. The last two games have shown me that.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Tom Helmer ‏@Tom_Helmer 2h

@hatfieldcb I asked Champ Bailey if he's thought about Darrent Williams this week. His touching answer tonight at 6 on @CBSDenver #cbs4sb

jhns
01-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Even though the defense has lost a ton of guys, it has played much better with Champ in the lineup. He shut down his guys in the playoffs. I hope he doesn't go anywhere. This team needs him.