PDA

View Full Version : Graziano: Manning is best ever, regardless of Super Bowl result

BroncoWave
01-21-2014, 08:03 AM
It's RARE for a sportswriter, especially one at ESPN, to have this level of perspective. It's refreshing to see someone who totally gets it and isn't a slave to Super Bowl wins.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10322500/2013-nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-stands-alone

The greatest quarterback of all time was just beginning to celebrate one of his greatest victories and the drumbeat was already starting. After a week's worth of discussion about the importance of Sunday's AFC Championship Game to Peyton Manning's legacy, the storyline for the next two weeks begins to take shape: Manning must win the Super Bowl to cement that legacy and be considered the greatest ever.

Hogwash.

We find ourselves, sadly, in the nothing's-ever-good-enough era of sports. We talk more about who didn't get into the Hall of Fame than about who did. We obsess over every officiating mistake. We wring our hands about a word like "legacy" when it comes to deciding which brilliant player is better than which other brilliant player and by how much. It's paralysis by analysis, where the victim is our ability to enjoy.

So I'm here to say it right now, at the start of two weeks' worth of Super Bowl hype: Manning doesn't need to win this next game to be the greatest quarterback of all time. He already is. The results of one football game on Feb. 2, 2014, won't change that. And we all need to do a better job of appreciating what we're watching.

atwater27
01-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Yeah. People's (especially armchair quarterbacks and sports media types) make way too much out of Super Bowl rings being the gold standard for how good a QB is, while ignoring every other shred of proof that slaps them in the face 20 times along the way. Yeah, Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino. Terry Bradshaw and Bob Griese went to and won more super bowls than Brett Favre. Must be better than him. Brady has been to 5! OMG he owns Peyton. It takes luck, great coaching and 53 players. Some teams have a better combination of all 3 than the others.

Northman
01-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Not the best ever to me, but he is up there.

jhns
01-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Even if he wins the next 3 SBs, people will still argue that others are the best ever. They will use excuses like rule changes to support there view. The greatest ever debate will always be a debate.

That said, if he wins a SB or two here, the Broncos will have the two best QBs of all time.

I really don't get the debates though. No one has ever played the game like Manning. His numbers, including win %, back that up. To me, he is already the best ever at the position. I find it funny that people always argue that defense wins championships but QBs are judged by the number of SBs they have. Can someone explain how that makes sense? I mean Brady is a great example of why that argument is stupid. They won SBs when he was a game manager. They had great defenses and run games. When Brady started putting up numbers and playing like an elite QB, they stopped winning SBs. Then there is the fact that guys like Eli aren't even close to being in Mannings class and they have more SBs. There are a lot of guys that take the field other than the QB. This isn't golf. Even the best can't beat the top teams if their team has a lot less talent.

Northman
01-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Even if he wins the next 3 SBs, people will still argue that others are the best ever.

If Manning was able to win the next 3 SB's that would change my perception immediately. For me anyone, i cant say for anyone else.

TXBRONC
01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Not the best ever to me, but he is up there.

I've never believed that there is one greatest of all time when it comes to quarterbacks because eras that they played in and how the rules have changed over the years.

There is only one player in NFL of being great of all time at his position and that's Jim Brown.

Broncolingus
01-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I think John Elway is the best to ever play (still) at this point...he did more with less than any QB ever.

...Manning and Timmah are best of this generation, but I honestly cant pick 'better' between the two right now...

JMO...

Nomad
01-21-2014, 12:02 PM
I really don't care if he is the best ever, I just want him to win the next game. I am thankful for what he has brought to the BRONCOS.

aberdien
01-21-2014, 01:02 PM
He is the prototypical QB. I think if he wins at least 1 more Superbowl I would put him above Elway.

As of now:

1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Manning
4. Brady
5. Marino

The first 4 are all pretty much tied at #1. They're the mount rushmore of QBs and there's no real wrong answer as to who is the best out of them.

Northman
01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
I think John Elway is the best to ever play (still) at this point...he did more with less than any QB ever.

...Manning and Timmah are best of this generation, but I honestly cant pick 'better' between the two right now...

JMO...

Totally agree but my last point was if Manning took us to 3 straight SB's that would certainly make me rethink of whether he was better than John or not. But right now Elway is still numero uno for me.

Broncolingus
01-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Totally agree but my last point was if Manning took us to 3 straight SB's that would certainly make me rethink of whether he was better than John or not. But right now Elway is still numero uno for me.

I'm with ya, brother :cool:

SR
01-21-2014, 02:15 PM
He is the prototypical QB. I think if he wins at least 1 more Superbowl I would put him above Elway.

As of now:

1. Elway
2. Montana
3. Manning
4. Brady
5. Marino

The first 4 are all pretty much tied at #1. They're the mount rushmore of QBs and there's no real wrong answer as to who is the best out of them.

I don't know if he's the "prototypical" QB because he is about as immobile as my 92 year old great grandmother, but in terms of what he does in the pocket I would agree that there isn't another QB ever that I would rather have on my team. As far as "prototypical" goes, I would have to say that I do wish Peyton was at least as mobile as Aaron Rodgers.

broncofaninfla
01-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Elway will always be my favorite QB and could certainly be argued in the best QB ever argument but Peyton is unlike any QB I've ever seen. Easily the smartest QB ever with the most accurate arm I've ever seen.

BroncoJoe
01-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Elway will always be my favorite QB and could certainly be argued in the best QB ever argument but Peyton is unlike any QB I've ever seen. Easily the smartest QB ever with the most accurate arm I've ever seen.

Ditto.

aberdien
01-21-2014, 03:01 PM
I don't know if he's the "prototypical" QB because he is about as immobile as my 92 year old great grandmother, but in terms of what he does in the pocket I would agree that there isn't another QB ever that I would rather have on my team. As far as "prototypical" goes, I would have to say that I do wish Peyton was at least as mobile as Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah, I mean in terms of when I think of what a QB should be as a hole, I think Manning is the prototype. His preparation and dedication and class both on and off the field as well as his ability to use his mind to **** the other side over. He's just brilliant and if I was a youth football coach, I would suggest the kids wanting to play QB to look towards Peyton Manning for inspiration and all that. In spite of him having the speed of a turtle, I think he's everything a QB should be, especially because he has been able to do what he has done without the legs of an Elway or a Tarkenton.

Elway is probably still my favorite no matter what, but Manning is just what a QB should be IMO. And Manning gets ridiculous amounts of doubt and hate still, which continues to throw in a mental challenge along with the physical challenges he has gone through. The pressure he has dealt with the last few years and particularly this season and his ability to overcome all of that and shut the haters up at his age, it's just amazing to me.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 04:48 PM
I still think Elway is the best ever. I have my reasons for ranking him above Montana.

It would also be hard not to rank Brady as 3rd all time. Hes been to 5 SuperBowls.

Manning wins this one then that changes. You would have to put him 3rd all time. He wins 3 then you have to put him at the top. Yes he has the records but he needs to add championships to his legacy still.

Now if I had to pick ONE of these QBs to build my team I am going with Manning.

BroncoJoe
01-21-2014, 05:08 PM
I still think Elway is the best ever. I have my reasons for ranking him above Montana.

It would also be hard not to rank Brady as 3rd all time. Hes been to 5 SuperBowls.

Manning wins this one then that changes. You would have to put him 3rd all time. He wins 3 then you have to put him at the top. Yes he has the records but he needs to add championships to his legacy still.

Now if I had to pick ONE of these QBs to build my team I am going with Manning.

I'd still go with Elway.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 06:03 PM
I'd still go with Elway.

Elway went to 5 SBs and won 2.

My argument for Manning being the best ever would only come into play IF Manning wins 2 more. That would give him a 3-1 record (4 SBs total).

THEN you would have to look at winning %, all of the records, the teams they were on and yet STILL have to look at what Elway, Montana and Brady has done. It's MORE than just SBs.....it's a calaboration of everything else combined. Still would be a very tough choice even if he did win 3...you could make cases for all of them.

Elway is the best ever. People say Montana but he had much much better teams than Elway.

Until a QB shatters all of these records and wins like 6 SBs then all of these guy will be argued. That most likely will never happen.

mouthofsouth
01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Yeah. People's (especially armchair quarterbacks and sports media types) make way too much out of Super Bowl rings being the gold standard for how good a QB is, while ignoring every other shred of proof that slaps them in the face 20 times along the way. Yeah, Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino. Terry Bradshaw and Bob Griese went to and won more super bowls than Brett Favre. Must be better than him. Brady has been to 5! OMG he owns Peyton. It takes luck, great coaching and 53 players. Some teams have a better combination of all 3 than the others.

Absolutely no doubt the Manning brothers combined own Brady.

mouthofsouth
01-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Manning has gotten his teams to the playoffs almost every year of his career, sometimes on weak overall teams. So many teams fail to reach the playoffs year after year after year. Do you season ticket holders appreciate what you are seeing game after game and play after play right now? Are you enjoying the moment? Do you appreciate what you have, the thrills you have had this year, largely because of one man at the helm? I hope you do. I know you do. The ride has been great and you know it. Why can't a player be judged by how he elevates the game, fills the stadiums, even gets one built in Indianapolis? By the thrilling play he produces that makes each win a thing of beauty, giving the fan his money's worth? Students of the game, who really know the game inside and out, see Peyton's greatness in more ways than just stats. They see the way he owns defenses, his game management, his ability to audibilize into the perfect play at the line, etc. etc. etc. Enjoy it, Denver. He's yours. Jim Irsay, I hope you are recovering today.

Army Bronco
01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Not the best ever to me, but he is up there.I am biased and I will always say Elway was the best..

Lancane
01-22-2014, 01:07 PM
No true Broncos' fan will ever place another quarterback on the list of all-time greats above The Duke, #7 will remain the GOAT till someone match's his feats on the field, not stats, but comebacks and impossible victories, winning the AFCW as many times as he led the Broncos' to that title, five Superbowl appearances, etc.