PDA

View Full Version : What do the Broncos do with Chris Clark next year?

sneakers
01-20-2014, 06:39 PM
He definetly deserves a spot somewhere on the OLine, or maybe tradebait?

tubby
01-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Back to the bench? Pretty sure they signed him to a 2 year extension when Clady got hurt.

CrazyHorse
01-20-2014, 06:58 PM
If Beadles walks slide him over to left guard?

Joel
01-20-2014, 07:11 PM
If Beadles walks slide him over to left guard?
That's an intriguing possibility to me, because I've long felt Clark's better with bull rushers than against speed rushers (e.g. his radically different performances against DeMarcus Ware and Robert Mathis) and have long disliked Beadles' inability to get push and prevent penetration at the line. In essence, Beadles has more of the qualities I like in an OT (i.e. agility and quickness) and Clark more of the qualities I like in an OG (i.e. power and strength.)

Beadles—2012 Pro Bowl third alternate or not—is our lines weakest link, IMHO; if he wants to walk amid all our many bigger FA re-signings, I'll help him pack. If Clark can fill his spot adequately (or better,) so much the better, especially since he's had good experience and performance playing LT. That kind of versatility in starting linemen is invaluable.

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Trade seems logical. Now sure what we could get for him. Clady is already locked up.

Clark has been playing out of his mind though. He has been playing like a top 10 LT this year.

If no trade can happen then wait and see what happens with Beadles and Kuper? Maybe try Clark at another position like someone suggested.

topscribe
01-20-2014, 07:22 PM
That's an intriguing possibility to me, because I've long felt Clark's better with bull rushers than against speed rushers (e.g. his radically different performances against DeMarcus Ware and Robert Mathis) and have long disliked Beadles' inability to get push and prevent penetration at the line. In essence, Beadles has more of the qualities I like in an OT (i.e. agility and quickness) and Clark more of the qualities I like in an OG (i.e. power and strength.)

Beadles—2012 Pro Bowl third alternate or not—is our lines weakest link, IMHO; if he wants to walk amid all our many bigger FA re-signings, I'll help him pack. If Clark can fill his spot adequately (or better,) so much the better, especially since he's had good experience and performance playing LT. That kind of versatility in starting linemen is invaluable.
Which makes me wonder how Kuper is doing. He was recognized as one of the
better OGs in the league before his siege of injuries. If he were to go back to
his previous level, he would be better than Beadles and Clark put together, IMO.

Regarding Clark, at worst, he would probably go back to the bench as perhaps
one of the best backups in the league.

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Kuper can't stay healthy. He is great when healthy but he never is. Which is why I wonder if Clark can play other positions on the line.

Slick
01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
I don't see him going anywhere unless someone offers a ridiculous trade. If he doesn't start, he is the depth a team sorely needs in today's NFL.

topscribe
01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Kuper can't stay healthy. He is great when healthy but he never is. Which is why I wonder if Clark can play other positions on the line.
If you remember, they were saying that about knowshon.

Kupe just had a rash of injuries. Maybe, like Knowshon, he has just gotten
them all out of the way. He's on the bench this year because the line is set.
But next year is a new year. If he is able to come back all the way, he's
going to provide a lot of competition for starting job. But they way Vasquez
has played, Kupe will probably have to compete somewhere besides RG.
They tinkered with him a little at center, but all the sudden ManRam is
killing it there. So it would boil down to Beadles and Kuper at LG, maybe?

But, regarding Clark, right now I see him going back to backup at OT.

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 09:08 PM
If you remember, they were saying that about knowshon.

Kupe just had a rash of injuries. Maybe, like Knowshon, he has just gotten
them all out of the way. He's on the bench this year because the line is set.
But next year is a new year. If he is able to come back all the way, he's
going to provide a lot of competition for starting job. But they way Vasquez
has played, Kupe will probably have to compete somewhere besides RG.
They tinkered with him a little at center, but all the sudden ManRam is
killing it there. So it would boil down to Beadles and Kuper at LG, maybe?

But, regarding Clark, right now I see him going back to backup at OT.

I think Kuper is one of 4 Broncos that if we out right cut them we will save a ton of cash. Bailey is another.

He might have to take less to stay and just be a backup.

Oh and Top, Knowshons injuries havent been as bad as Kupers. A a heavy guy like Kuper may never be the same again. Just saying....but I could be wrong.

If I had to chose ONE guy between Clark and Kuper it's going to be Clark, who has stayed healthy.

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Clark says he gets alot of advice from Ryan Clady.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/video/9750300-chris-clark-gets-a-lot-of-good-advice-from-ryan-clady/

FanInAZ
01-20-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't see him going anywhere unless someone offers a ridiculous trade. If he doesn't start, he is the depth a team sorely needs in today's NFL.

Depth is important in today's, yesterday's and tomorrow's NFL. So the question is, if we do trade him, who are we going to send in when one of our starters goes down?

Joel
01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Which makes me wonder how Kuper is doing. He was recognized as one of the
better OGs in the league before his siege of injuries. If he were to go back to
his previous level, he would be better than Beadles and Clark put together, IMO.

Regarding Clark, at worst, he would probably go back to the bench as perhaps
one of the best backups in the league.
Honestly don't know, but he's getting up there. I don't buy into the whole "Kuper's always hurt" argument; he practically had his foot ripped off at the end of the season two years ago so they had to put in a steel plate to hold everything together. Then he fractured his forearm at the start of last year but took his starting spot back after it healed, only to have that plate warp and rip loose from his leg. That's weakness in the metal, not him; the PLATE warped and tore loose, not any part of his BODY.

Unfortunately, after offseason follow up surgery to repair the plate and damage it inflicted, the incision got infected and sidelined him again. In the interim we signed the excellent Luis Vasquez to play his spot and Beadles significantly improved at LG. Beadles is no world beater, but his strength (i.e. pass blocking) and weakness (i.e. run blocking ) mirrors Kupers, and Beadles DOES pull and block downfield well on screens and cutback runs. So I'm not sure we'd gain anything if Kuper were back, and he probably can't block downfield or pull as well on that plate.

I've always liked Kuper (and his dad) but Beadles bolting in FA might be the best hope for Kuper returning to the starting lineup, and, critical though I am of Beadles, it wouldn't be an improvement unless Kuper bounces back VERY well from his injury. Since he just turned 31, he's not a very long term solution anyway.

I think Kuper is one of 4 Broncos that if we out right cut them we will save a ton of cash. Bailey is another.

He might have to take less to stay and just be a backup.

Oh and Top, Knowshons injuries havent been as bad as Kupers. A a heavy guy like Kuper may never be the same again. Just saying....but I could be wrong.

If I had to chose ONE guy between Clark and Kuper it's going to be Clark, who has stayed healthy.
Cutting Kuper won't save us much: He's a FA next year, and when he renegotiated in the offseason he got just over $1 million plus $1.7 million in incentives (which there's no way in HELL he made; I think the he only played two games.) Right now Kuper's making more than Beadles (whom Rotoworld lists at a little over $600K) but they're both FAs next year, and I highly doubt we'll be able to keep Beadles as cheaply as Kuper, so if anyone gets cut for cap reasons, it's probably him.

They're guards though; unless/until he makes multiple Pro Bowls, no guard's likely to be cap casualty. They're the most underappreciated players on the field (except by their RBs.)

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Honestly don't know, but he's getting up there. I don't buy into the whole "Kuper's always hurt" argument; he practically had his foot ripped off at the end of the season two years ago so they had to put in a steel plate to hold everything together. Then he fractured his forearm at the start of last year but took his starting spot back after it healed, only to have that plate warp and rip loose from his leg. That's weakness in the metal, not him; the PLATE warped and tore loose, not any part of his BODY.

Unfortunately, after offseason follow up surgery to repair the plate and damage it inflicted, the incision got infected and sidelined him again. In the interim we signed the excellent Luis Vasquez to play his spot and Beadles significantly improved at LG. Beadles is no world beater, but his strength (i.e. pass blocking) and weakness (i.e. run blocking ) mirrors Kupers, and Beadles DOES pull and block downfield well on screens and cutback runs. So I'm not sure we'd gain anything if Kuper were back, and he probably can't block downfield or pull as well on that plate.

I've always liked Kuper (and his dad) but Beadles bolting in FA might be the best hope for Kuper returning to the starting lineup, and, critical though I am of Beadles, it wouldn't be an improvement unless Kuper bounces back VERY well from his injury. Since he just turned 31, he's not a very long term solution anyway.

Cutting Kuper won't save us much: He's a FA next year, and when he renegotiated in the offseason he got just over $1 million plus $1.7 million in incentives (which there's no way in HELL he made; I think the he only played two games.) Right now Kuper's making more than Beadles (whom Rotoworld lists at a little over $600K) but they're both FAs next year, and I highly doubt we'll be able to keep Beadles as cheaply as Kuper, so if anyone gets cut for cap reasons, it's probably him.

They're guards though; unless/until he makes multiple Pro Bowls, no guard's likely to be cap casualty. They're the most underappreciated players on the field (except by their RBs.)

Kuper is NOT a free agent next year. He is due 5.9 mill in 2014.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1916617-breaking-down-the-denver-broncos-2014-salary-cap-where-is-the-money-best-spent

Joel
01-20-2014, 11:11 PM
Kuper is NOT a free agent next year. He is due 5.9 mill in 2014.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1916617-breaking-down-the-denver-broncos-2014-salary-cap-where-is-the-money-best-spent
Hmm... Lammey cites Spotrac, which says the restructured deal Kuper signed just before Opening Day runs through 2015 http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/chris-kuper/function.opendir/

Rotoworld says he's a FA next year http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3966/chris-kuper

They contradict each other, but I have no idea which (if either) is right. But even if it's Spotrac he's into us for just over $1.8 million in dead money (so it won't go away even if we cut him) and if we insist on renegotiating to that instead of the $5 million they show he's due I doubt a 31 year old guy who's only played 4 games this year and 11 in the last two can argue.

In other words, Kuper will cost us $1.8 million next year even if he's playing for someone else, so if he's willing to play for us at that rate we might as well keep him.

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Hmm... Lammey cites Spotrac, which says the restructured deal Kuper signed just before Opening Day runs through 2015 http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/chris-kuper/function.opendir/

Rotoworld says he's a FA next year http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3966/chris-kuper

They contradict each other, but I have no idea which (if either) is right. But even if it's Spotrac he's into us for just over $1.8 million in dead money (so it won't go away even if we cut him) and if we insist on renegotiating to that instead of the $5 million they show he's due I doubt a 31 year old guy who's only played 4 games this year and 11 in the last two can argue.

In other words, Kuper will cost us $1.8 million next year even if he's playing for someone else, so if he's willing to play for us at that rate we might as well keep him.

1.8 mill is dead money. Kupers contract is 5.9 mill for 2014. In other words, cutting him saves us 4.1 mill.

I trust Cecil Lammey does his homework.

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Oh, and here's rotoworlds updated list as of Jan 17th 2014. Kuper isn't on the list. Koppen, Walton and Beadles are on the list.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/45947/309/2014-nfl-free-agents

dogfish
01-20-2014, 11:41 PM
we're not trading clark. . . it's too valuable having a proven option at OT under contract for a reasonable price. . . i suspect they might try him at OLG-- he's proven that he can play, and it's not like we have a ton of high-quality options there. . . beadles is an almost guaranteed cap casualty, IMO. . . if clark can't play guard, then he goes back to the bench as a swing tackle. . .

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Here is a list for each player under contract for 2014 from www.overthecap.com

It also confirms Kupers contract.

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Broncos&Year=2014

DenBronx
01-20-2014, 11:45 PM
we're not trading clark. . . it's too valuable having a proven option at OT under contract for a reasonable price. . . i suspect they might try him at OLG-- he's proven that he can play, and it's not like we have a ton of high-quality options there. . . beadles is an almost guaranteed cap casualty, IMO. . . if clark can't play guard, then he goes back to the bench as a swing tackle. . .

I don't think we should unless someone offers us a sweet deal. I would let Walton or Beadles walk before Clark goes.

If Clark can play Guard then we must keep him because he has proven he can anchor the LT position, THE most valuable position on the OL.

Clarks contract is only 1.2 mill for 2014.

Simple Jaded
01-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Clady is coming off a Lisfranc, Clark stays where he is until Clady proves he's healthy.

TXBRONC
01-21-2014, 12:15 AM
He definetly deserves a spot somewhere on the OLine, or maybe tradebait?

To be a starter? Who would he replace.

Joel
01-21-2014, 01:51 AM
1.8 mill is dead money. Kupers contract is 5.9 mill for 2014. In other words, cutting him saves us 4.1 mill.
So does a renegotiated contract to just pay him the 1.8 mill we're on the hook for regardless. The difference is that keeps a former Pro Bowl alternate who'd be invalulable once his foot's fully healed. Unless gangrene sets in, I'm not too worried about this seasons infection sidelining him next year; I just hope they put in a sturdier plate last offseason than the previous offseason.

I trust Cecil Lammey does his homework.
Well, he did leave our rollover money out of next years cap room, as previously discussed.

I don't think we should unless someone offers us a sweet deal. I would let Walton or Beadles walk before Clark goes.

If Clark can play Guard then we must keep him because he has proven he can anchor the LT position, THE most valuable position on the OL.

Clarks contract is only 1.2 mill for 2014.
We released Walton a while back, remember? I think it was after Vickeron went down, when we needed to make room for Fua so we had more depth.

Looking at your Over the Cap link, have of next years dead money on Kuper is his prorated bonus of $915,166. So just offer him a renegotiated contract that pays the same amount with a lot of incentives for playing time (basicaly what we did this year.) If he reaches the incentive goals,he's worth it; if not, we don't lose a dime of cap space.

Simple Jaded
01-21-2014, 01:56 AM
Iirc I think next year is the last year a team can roll over cap space, use it or lose it.

Btw, Walton is on Redskins roster.

dogfish
01-21-2014, 03:02 AM
To be a starter? Who would he replace.

beadles, if clark can play inside. . . zane's a free agent, and he's probably about tenth on the list of guys we need to re-sign in the next two years. . .

Joel
01-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Iirc I think next year is the last year a team can roll over cap space, use it or lose it.

Btw, Walton is on Redskins roster.
Oh? I thought that was a permanent deal, but have wondered if/what limits were involved. Without SOME, teams could just sit under the cap $10-20 million every year for a decade until they doubled their cap space, blew the wad on every top FA out there and spent anything left on a new trophy case they promptly filled. Source?

elsid13
01-21-2014, 06:28 AM

Kuper's dad has confirmed on the Mane that he isn't a FA next season and the contract restructuring he did only affected this season.

Joel
01-21-2014, 06:55 AM
Kuper's dad has confirmed on the Mane that he isn't a FA next season and the contract restructuring he did only affected this season.
Well, that settles that then. Back to "we're spending $1.8 million on him anyway; might as well get a former Pro Bowl alternate out of it." Unless he insists on the $5.9, but that's hard to imagine.

elsid13
01-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Well, that settles that then. Back to "we're spending $1.8 million on him anyway; might as well get a former Pro Bowl alternate out of it." Unless he insists on the $5.9, but that's hard to imagine.

His salary for next season is $5.9M unless something happen after this season. I expect that they will give him the chance to replace Beadles and if he doesn't then he is gone.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 07:50 AM

;)

Told ya.

Joel
01-21-2014, 08:30 AM
His salary for next season is $5.9M unless something happen after this season. I expect that they will give him the chance to replace Beadles and if he doesn't then he is gone.
How much is guaranteed though? Looks like only ~$900K, with an equal amount locked in by his signing bonus. The rest ought to give us some wiggle room if he's willing to wiggle with us.

elsid13
01-21-2014, 08:36 AM
How much is guaranteed though? Looks like only ~$900K, with an equal amount locked in by his signing bonus. The rest ought to give us some wiggle room if he's willing to wiggle with us.

Not sure, Kupes' dad doesn't post those kinda of details for number of reasons.

Broncolingus
01-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Clady is coming off a Lisfranc, Clark stays where he is until Clady proves he's healthy.

I agree...

I think it's 'wait and see' until Clady (who I really hope is fine) show's he's back to 100%...

Clark's play this year is the most underrated story of the year, IMO...

...major props to the dude.

CoachChaz
01-21-2014, 09:29 AM
I agree...

I think it's 'wait and see' until Clady (who I really hope is fine) show's he's back to 100%...

Clark's play this year is the most underrated story of the year, IMO...

...major props to the dude.

I mentioned it when it happened 4 months ago. The Saints lost their Pro Bowl left tackle and went on to win the Super Bowl with a back-up. It's destiny.

jhns
01-21-2014, 10:49 AM
I'd like to know what happens with both Clark and Walton/Ramirez. Walton is a very good center but Ramirez deserves a job.

Joel
01-21-2014, 11:09 AM
I mentioned it when it happened 4 months ago. The Saints lost their Pro Bowl left tackle and went on to win the Super Bowl with a back-up. It's destiny.
So when a SB team loses a Pro Bowl LT for the season, Peyton Manning's guaranteed to win? Wait... that can't be right.... :tongue:

I'd like to know what happens with both Clark and Walton/Ramirez. Walton is a very good center but Ramirez deserves a job.
I'm obliged to disagree: What happened with Walton is he's NOT a very good C, IMHO, and by the time he was healthy an awful G who turned out to be an excellent C had taken his job.

jhns
01-21-2014, 12:38 PM
So when a SB team loses a Pro Bowl LT for the season, Peyton Manning's guaranteed to win? Wait... that can't be right.... :tongue:

I'm obliged to disagree: What happened with Walton is he's NOT a very good C, IMHO, and by the time he was healthy an awful G who turned out to be an excellent C had taken his job.

Walton was placed on IR right away. There was no when he was healthy. He played great when ge was in.

That said, I just looked it up and the team cut him a couple months after going on IR, so it really doesn't matter.

LTC Pain
01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
It depends on a couple of things:

1) Until Clady is healthy and ready to rock n' roll, Clark is our starting LT

2) If Clady is healthy and Beadles walks, move Clark to LG.

3) Since Clark has been playing so well (top 10 LT in the NFL?), it's rather nieve to say "bench him for depth". So if Clady is healthy/ready and Beadles re-signs, I think you trade Clark for a 2nd round pick. Clark has proven he is a starting NFL LT and no way you "bench" him.

Oh, stop mentioning Walton. The Broncos waived him a few weeks ago and the Redskins picked him up.

NightTerror218
01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
He has played well but he also has been the weakest link. He was owned by Mathis and he is lucky manning gets the ball out so quick. If a team wants to trade for him great but he is not that good. I am always worried about pressure from his side.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-21-2014, 01:14 PM
It depends on a couple of things:

1) Until Clady is healthy and ready to rock n' roll, Clark is our starting LT

2) If Clady is healthy and Beadles walks, move Clark to LG.

3) Since Clark has been playing so well (top 10 LT in the NFL?), it's rather nieve to say "bench him for depth". So if Clady is healthy/ready and Beadles re-signs, I think you trade Clark for a 2nd round pick. Clark has proven he is a starting NFL LT and no way you "bench" him.

Oh, stop mentioning Walton. The Broncos waived him a few weeks ago and the Redskins picked him up.

I can't see us trading Clark for a 2nd. That would leave us with no swing tackle.

guitarj
01-21-2014, 01:17 PM
I am very impressed with the front office and the coaching staff. Finding these players players like Clark, and many others on our roster. Then developing them.
This team is playing better than ever and doing it without a couple all Pros, and solid starters

powderaddict
01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Walton got picked up by the Redskins if I remember correctly.

elsid13
01-21-2014, 01:31 PM
I can't see us trading Clark for a 2nd. That would leave us with no swing tackle.

Painter, that they have been developing on the PS after drafting him.

elsid13
01-21-2014, 01:35 PM
BTW can we stop the 2nd round talk, folks are overvaluing him big time. He has had very nice year but he was playing with Manning who has made a lot of average tackles look good over the years due to his quick release and audibles.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 05:36 PM
BTW can we stop the 2nd round talk, folks are overvaluing him big time. He has had very nice year but he was playing with Manning who has made a lot of average tackles look good over the years due to his quick release and audibles.

I don't think anyone overvalued him at all. A 2nd rounder for a top 10 LT?? And only a little over a mill for next season?

Regardless, I would like to know if he could handle LG. If so we might as well keep him because I don't think Kuper will be back.

Joel
01-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Walton was placed on IR right away. There was no when he was healthy. He played great when ge was in.

That said, I just looked it up and the team cut him a couple months after going on IR, so it really doesn't matter.
Was he on IR, or PuP? As I recall, he came off WHATEVER he was on, so was presumably healthy, I think we reactivated him for one or two games without playing him, then cut him a couple weeks later. There was plenty of "when he was healthy," but it was too late because Ramirez had already come in and tremendously outperformed him, so: Good luck in Washington....

He has played well but he also has been the weakest link. He was owned by Mathis and he is lucky manning gets the ball out so quick. If a team wants to trade for him great but he is not that good. I am always worried about pressure from his side.
Two words: Cliff. Avril. And MetLife Stadium has FieldTurf, not grass. I don't know if FieldTurf plays faster and quicker, like astroturf, but I DO know Clark's done very well against bull-rushers but had trouble with speed rushers (i.e. Mathis, and Orakpo, both fast 3-4 OLBs who are light for DEs, had strip-sacks on Clark, with another by SD in the interim.)

If it comes to it, I'd rather keep Clark than Beadles unless the former demands far more than any backup should. Beadles has been talked up nearly as much this year, a lot for a guard. On the other hand, guards aren't as highly valued as tackles, especially LTs, so maybe he'll be reasonable. If he demands what a 5th year starter and second Pro Bowl alternate from a record-setting Conference Champion offense should though, I think he's overvalued. It sounds contradictory to say demanding what he should overvalues him, but I think he's too often been along for the ride.

Which is strange to say, because he reminds me of Ben Hamilton (whom I always really liked) more than ever now: Same pulling, downfield blocking, beginning to look like the same pass blocker; almost NO line surge or holes opened on guys his size.

elsid13
01-21-2014, 06:49 PM
I don't think anyone overvalued him at all. A 2nd rounder for a top 10 LT?? And only a little over a mill for next season?

Regardless, I would like to know if he could handle LG. If so we might as well keep him because I don't think Kuper will be back.

He's not a top 10 LT. He had very good season, but just because he plays for our team lets not get carried away. Clark is solid veteran tackle playing with great QB that make look him better then he is. Put Tebow back there and we are all calling for Clark's replacement.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 07:11 PM
He's not a top 10 LT. He had very good season, but just because he plays for our team lets not get carried away. Clark is solid veteran tackle playing with great QB that make look him better then he is. Put Tebow back there and we are all calling for Clark's replacement.

Put Tebow back there and we are calling for everyones replacement.

Not the point. Clark has played at a top 10 LT level this year. So is Adam Gase not an up and coming HC or was it all Manning? Manning is going to make everyone look better but it doesn't change the fact that everyone still had to do their job.