PDA

View Full Version : Former coaches recall Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno's schoolboy success before great leap to NFL

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Down by the Jersey shore, on Dec. 1, 2001, the Middletown South High Eagles boarded yellow buses for their Group III state title game, and veteran members on the undefeated team took note of a new face. The bright smile belonged to Knowshon Moreno, then a New York City transplant living with his grandmother and hurdling defenders as an eighth-grader. South coach Steve Antonucci knew Moreno lived in the school district, and liked what he heard of the teen’s speed. He encouraged Moreno to join his team for the title ride that day, giving him a game jersey and seat on the bus.

“I wanted him to get a taste of what our expectations were,” Antonucci says.

Moreno watched the Eagles claim victory that afternoon, downing Hamilton West, 21-14, then dived into a pile of pads and helmets by midfield to celebrate. Players and coaches posed for photos, raising helmets and lifting their index fingers to point out their ranking. Kneeling in the second row, Moreno smiled amongst the champions as the late afternoon shadows covered part of his face. Antonucci stood directly behind Moreno.

rest - http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/coaches-recall-moreno-schoolboy-success-nfl-leap-article-1.1582601

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2014, 12:22 PM
from same article:

Clifton witnessed Moreno in his most emotional state during his junior year. She chided Moreno for missing a practice or some such offense, and Moreno visited her classroom after school in an attempt to explain himself. They met outside in the hallway, and went for a walk. He confided in her about his lost childhood, bouncing around between homeless shelters in the five boroughs with his father and some missed meals. Tears flowed down Moreno’s face. Clifton had been unaware of the past Moreno mentioned.

“He became this little boy who needed someone to hold him,” Clifton says. “I was like, ‘Oh my God. What did I do?’ It was hard for me to envision a little boy not being tucked in each night, not getting the right food.”

Clifton opened her door to Moreno. He spent a few holidays with her family, stopping by on Thanksgiving after the traditional game, and visiting on Christmas. He excelled on the track teams, but football afforded him the greatest outlet. He assumed the A-back role, and then played fullback in the triple option, rushing for more than 6,000 yards in his career. He once hurdled two players on one run, and scored from 50 yards out. In 2003, again in the state title game, South hosted the game after snowfall prevented the it from being played at Rutgers. South’s home field, known as “The Swamp,” was a muddy mess that week, and the team practiced on blacktop. For the game, no blades of grass were visible. No matter. Moreno took the first handoff 35 yards. His No. 24 was covered with so much mud in the third quarter that he had to change uniforms to No. 38.

full article - http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/coaches-recall-moreno-schoolboy-success-nfl-leap-article-1.1582601