PDA

View Full Version : Adam Gase might decline Cleveland Browns interview

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2014, 01:34 PM
It's been assumed for weeks that the Cleveland Browns have been waiting around to interview Adam Gase for their still-vacant head-coaching gig. But does the Denver Broncos offensive coordinator even want the job?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on "NFL GameDay Morning" that Gase might pass on talking with the Browns in order to stay in Denver for at least another season.

Rapoport was told that "it would take something perfect" to pull Gase away from his current job. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is close with Peyton Manning, who has vouched for Gase, but the young assistant is in no rush to move on.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000314864/article/adam-gase-might-decline-cleveland-browns-interview

tomjonesrocks
01-19-2014, 01:42 PM
I get the "strike when the iron is hot" thing, and the pressure he'd feel to take an NFL HC job when offered -- but that place has taken down too many men. Simply one of the worst HC jobs in the NFL there, decent fan base aside. Actually think only Oakland and maybe Jax would be worse.

He'd be wise to pass IMO.

broncohead
01-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Wait for a better team. He'll get another opportunity no reason to take a the first offer

silkamilkamonico
01-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Would be good if it's true.

Dude is way too inexperienced to be a head coach at this point of his career.

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
01-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Don't want to lose him but it seems inevitable. Just gonna enjoy having him on our sideline and worry about all of this later after the season is over though.

Broncolingus
01-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Stay away from that team, Adam...

ShaneFalco
01-19-2014, 07:31 PM
I told yall he wanted to stay here

Ziggy
01-19-2014, 07:36 PM
The Browns have some impressive young talent. They have the best shutdown corner in the league, and a pretty good defense around him. They have the best young wide receiver and the best left tackle in the league as well. The problem with that team is ownership. If Gase can get some job security when he signs, like a 7 year contract he ought to consider taking the job. There's only 32 of them in the universe.

broncobryce
01-19-2014, 08:17 PM
The Browns have some impressive young talent. They have the best shutdown corner in the league, and a pretty good defense around him. They have the best young wide receiver and the best left tackle in the league as well. The problem with that team is ownership. If Gase can get some job security when he signs, like a 7 year contract he ought to consider taking the job. There's only 32 of them in the universe.

One problem though, they don't have a QB. It could be argued they could get one in the draft. Maybe with Fox getting up there in age he's hoping to take over here in a few years?

Cugel
01-20-2014, 05:34 AM
One problem though, they don't have a QB. It could be argued they could get one in the draft. Maybe with Fox getting up there in age he's hoping to take over here in a few years?

Saved me the trouble of saying it. :coffee:

If you don't have a franchise QB in this game you don't have JACK!

Cleveland just fired their last head coach after 11 months? Who wants to be the next human sacrifice?

It's a terrible franchise where careers go to die! They have a crappy owner, which doesn't help.

Gase is going to be popular as long as he has Peyton Manning. The job offers will only get better.

If he takes that job he's going to regret it! And his friends are all telling him to "pass!"

Let the job go to someone who's really desperate to get a chance, someone who might not get any other opportunity and has to grab whatever he can get.

Until Peyton retires after the 2016 season Gase is sitting pretty and can get a really good head coaching job. Someplace where they've got a chance to get a franchise QB.

Cugel
01-20-2014, 05:36 AM

The problem there is that there may not BE one in this draft. It's not as if Andrew Luck is just sitting there waiting to be drafted.

I'd say Johnnie Manzell is another Tebow waiting to happen. Maybe not that bad, but not exactly Luck either.

BroncoJoe
01-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Didn't the Browns ownership change in 2012? Didn't they just hire a new VP for Player Personnel?

BroncoWave
01-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Update on this story, per Mike Kils:

Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase called Browns today to say he is withdrawing as HC candidate to concentrate on Super Bowl.

TXBRONC
01-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Saved me the trouble of saying it. :coffee:

If you don't have a franchise QB in this game you don't have JACK!

Cleveland just fired their last head coach after 11 months? Who wants to be the next human sacrifice?

It's a terrible franchise where careers go to die! They have a crappy owner, which doesn't help.

Gase is going to be popular as long as he has Peyton Manning. The job offers will only get better.

If he takes that job he's going to regret it! And his friends are all telling him to "pass!"

Let the job go to someone who's really desperate to get a chance, someone who might not get any other opportunity and has to grab whatever he can get.

Until Peyton retires after the 2016 season Gase is sitting pretty and can get a really good head coaching job. Someplace where they've got a chance to get a franchise QB.

That rumor has been floated that Gase is reluctant to go to a team that doesn't have a franchise quarterback. If he goes to team that doesn't have a franchise quarteback he's more likely going to very bad football team.

TXBRONC
01-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Didn't the Browns ownership change in 2012? Didn't they just hire a new VP for Player Personnel?

They hired Michael Lombardi as the GM this last year.

Broncolingus
01-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Smart move, methinks...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 32m

it was clear Browns had been waiting on Adam Gase, who was believed to have been the choice of owner Jimmy Haslam.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
The Cleveland Browns won't need to wait around for Adam Gase.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Denver Broncos offensive coordinator thanked the team for their interest, but made it clear that he plans to withdraw his name from consideration in order to focus on a Peyton Manning-led squad preparing to play in Super Bowl XLVIII, according to a source informed of Gase's thinking.

We saw this one coming from a mile away. Rapoport has said for weeks that Gase would need a perfect situation to pry him away from Denver. Just 35, the Broncos play-caller is one of the hottest young coordinators around, but another year working with Manning should position him well for the job of his choice down the road.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316099/article/adam-gase-pulls-out-of-cleveland-browns-search

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Just a thought, nothing more - Coach Fox has 1 year left on his contract. Would there be a possibility that Coach Fox does not want to coach past that, and Gase will be the new coach for the Broncos?

GEM
01-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Cleveland Browns...where coaches go to be fired after 1 year.

BroncoWave
01-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 32m

it was clear Browns had been waiting on Adam Gase, who was believed to have been the choice of owner Jimmy Haslam.

:lol: Sucks for them!

TXBRONC
01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Just a thought, nothing more - Coach Fox has 1 year left on his contract. Would there be a possibility that Coach Fox does not want to coach past that, and Gase will be the new coach for the Broncos?

That's already been floated that maybe Gase stays put and Fox retires in year or two.

Broncolingus
01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Cleveland Browns...where coaches go to be fired after 1 year.

NS...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2014, 12:14 PM
from article:

Although Gase had given the Browns little thought while the Broncos were in the midst of their playoff run that featured wins against San Diego and New England, it became evident the longer he waited, the tougher it would be for him to put a quality coaching staff together if he did accept the Browns' head coaching job.

Whatever coaching assistants Gase might have wanted to come along have made commitments elsewhere in the three weeks since the season ended.

By withdrawing from consideration for the Browns' job, Gase automatically becomes the early frontrunner for any head coaching position that will become available following the 2014 season.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24956258/adam-gase-will-not-interview-cleveland-browns-coaching

Bosco
01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Josh McDaniels told them "no thanks" even though the GM is Michael Lombardi, a close personal friend who was also with Belichick during his Cleveland days.

That should tell you something.

GEM
01-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Josh McDaniels told them "no thanks" even though the GM is Michael Lombardi, a close personal friend who was also with Belichick during his Cleveland days.

That should tell you something.

Funny story....Alfred Williams and Michael Lombardi used to get in such heated fights about McDouche that they ended up having to take Lombardi off the Drive and put him on with the morning guys.

dogfish
01-21-2014, 05:30 PM

it's certainly a possibility, but i doubt it. . . fox is apparently in fine health, and he clearly has plenty of energy and drive. . . i just read an interview with elway a day or so ago, where the duke said he would sit down with fox in the off-season to talk about an extension. . .

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 05:43 PM

Gase is one smart dude imo. Someday he is going to make an excellent HC and some franchise is going to hit the jackpot by getting him.

When McCoy left I was like meh....when Allen left I wasn't worried at all. When Gase leaves, and he will next years offseason he is going to be the future of NFL HCs. Detriot should have made a serious serious push to get him. Bad move Lions.

DenBronx
01-21-2014, 05:46 PM

I doubt Fox retires and hope he stays. Fox is just all around perfect for the Broncos and Elway is very loyal to him.

But if something weird happens like say we can't negotiate a contract then Gase would be the guy. I can think of no other coach that would make sense over Gase. He would be my first choise indeed.

Noway we don't retain Coach Fox though. Looks like he is doing better than ever.

pulse
01-21-2014, 08:42 PM
If Peyton Manning plays for two more seasons, I can actually see John Fox retiring when Peyton Manning retires. Or pulling a Cowher / Gruden / Dungy. The thing is, I don't know if Gase will still be around then. I'm sure he's going to get many more offers after the 2014 season.