PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan was going to cut Marshall

MOtorboat
09-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Chris Mortensen reported this morning on ESPN radio that Mike Shanahan called Cutler into his office the day before he was fired and told him to say goodbye to Brandon Marshall, because after the Pro Bowl, Shanahan was going to cut him. Obviously, Shanahan got fired the next day, and Marshall is still with us and Cutler isn't...

Interesting tidbit...

Ravage!!!
09-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Hmm.. htat is extremely interesting. I can't believe it would be an outright cut, though. But interesting.

BroncoBJ
09-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Really? :O .. I didn't hear that. I believe you though but damn, thats wierd. I wonder why he was going to cut him? No wonder why Bmarsh doesn't trust the Broncos :lol:

Nomad
09-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Didn't Mortenson report Shanny was going to be the next HC of the Chiefs!!

Interesting if he was intending to do so, I wonder if BRONCO nation would have crucified Shanny for doing such a thing?

BroncoAV06
09-13-2009, 10:06 AM

Interesting if he was intending to do so, I wonder if BRONCO nation would have crucified Shanny for doing such a thing?

I wold have been as upset if Shanny or McD did it. We all understood what kind of risk Brandon posed but IMO the team had to try and work something out and Marshall had to grow up and play this year which hpefully has happend. Orton who's finger will prevent him from throwing deep (heard that this morning, could he anyway?) so he will need WR that can get YAC.

frauschieze
09-13-2009, 10:12 AM
This offseason has been so wacky, I'll believe anything.

LRtagger
09-13-2009, 10:16 AM
That is an interesting tidbit if true. I wonder what Jay thought about it.

pipes
09-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Really? :O .. I didn't hear that. I believe you though but damn, thats wierd. I wonder why he was going to cut him? No wonder why Bmarsh doesn't trust the Broncos :lol:

Shouldn't that make him trust the Broncos more?! :confused:

I mean, they got rid of the guy that was going to get rid of him....

elsid13
09-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I think I am calling BS on this. It doesn't make sense from standpoint on how that helped the team. If Shanahan said he was trading Marshall I could believe it, but cutting him makes no sense.

Nomad
09-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I think I am calling BS on this. It doesn't make sense from standpoint on how that helped the team. If Shanahan said he was trading Marshall I could believe it, but cutting him makes no sense.

I agree with you! That's why I said, isn't Mortenson the one who came out first and was for sure Shannahan was going to be the next HC for the Chiefs....in other words, I question Mortenson's credibility!!

skycoyote
09-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I would verify the source of this comment. There is so many things said that are untruthful.

elsid13
09-13-2009, 10:49 AM
I agree with you! That's why I said, isn't Mortenson the one who came out first and was for sure Shannahan was going to be the next HC for the Chiefs....in other words, I question Mortenson's credibility!!

Actually Mortenon just reported on story from WPI ( a piece of shit fan site) that makes stuff up. But it amazing how the suddenly stories appear when front office is about to make a move.

Nomad
09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Actually Mortenon just reported on story from WPI ( a piece of shit fan site) that makes stuff up. But it amazing how the suddenly stories appear when front office is about to make a move.

Curious as to why he would report it, if WPI (never heard of it) is not a credible source for news??:confused: Oh well, no big deal, it didn't have a chance to happen!!

nbenallo33
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
thats pretty crazy... i wouldnt rule it out but it sounds pretty strange to just waive a probowl reciever

elsid13
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Curious as to why he would report it, if WPI (never heard of it) is not a credible source for news??:confused: Oh well, no big deal, it didn't have a chance to happen!!

Because he was trying to scoop Adam Schefter.

dogfish
09-13-2009, 11:35 AM
bullshit!

topscribe
09-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I belive you, Mo, but I don't believe Mortensen for a minute.

In fact, that's just silly . . .

-----

MOtorboat
09-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I belive you, Mo, but I don't believe Mortensen for a minute.

In fact, that's just silly . . .

-----

Well, fwiw, he believes it, because he mentioned it twice on television.

elsid13
09-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, fwiw, he believes it, because he mentioned it twice on television.

He should check his dates. Because Shanahan was gone before the Pro-bowl occurred.

MOtorboat
09-13-2009, 11:57 AM
He should check his dates. Because Shanahan was gone before the Pro-bowl occurred.

Read what I wrote again:

Chris Mortensen reported this morning on ESPN radio that Mike Shanahan called Cutler into his office the day before he was fired and told him to say goodbye to Brandon Marshall, because after the Pro Bowl, Shanahan was going to cut him. Obviously, Shanahan got fired the next day, and Marshall is still with us and Cutler isn't...

Interesting tidbit...

silkamilkamonico
09-13-2009, 12:28 PM
ROFLCOPTER

bull--it.

Shanahan wasn't going to cut Marshall. That's absurd.

Tned
09-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Seems completely bogus, as if Shanahan wanted to get rid of him, he would have traded him, not cut him. Also, why would he tell Cutler weeks before the pro-bowl. Mort might believe he has it from a reliable source, but it really doesn't pass the sniff test.

scott.475
09-13-2009, 01:05 PM
When did Mortensen become a reliable source of news?

Simple Jaded
09-13-2009, 01:45 PM

That doesn't mean Mortenson is wrong about this, I wonder who his source is.......

silkamilkamonico
09-13-2009, 01:56 PM
That doesn't mean Mortenson is wrong about this, I wonder who his source is.......

I'm going out on a limb and saying he is.

If there's any truths to that, it's "decisions" like that for a reason why Shanahan was fired, and probably should have been fired years ago.

Chidoze
09-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Interesting tidbit...
Cut him? Mort is full of it. Why would he just cut him and not get something in return from a trade?

Doesnt make one bit of sense. Probably cause it's not true.

Nomad
09-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Here's the source which I never heard of the site!!! And no i do not trust what Mortenson reports unless coming from other sources as well ie Schefter, NFLN.

Dirk
09-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Wow...that's a wild one! Ha!

Mo I know you saw it...but wow! CM is such a hack.

Superchop 7
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
The only scenario that would make sense.

Shanny was tired of Marsh's antics, felt Royal and Stokely could carry the load.

Knew he could get a #1 and a #3 for him.

Wanted to get defensive players.

That, I could totally see from a football perspective.

Nomad
09-13-2009, 04:36 PM

Shanny was tired of Marsh's antics, felt Royal and Stokely could carry the load.

The report supposedly is Shanny wanted to cut Marshall, not trade, which makes it ridiculous. But you're theory would be believable if he were to have traded him!!

rcsodak
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Probably that anti-broncos poster, kerry. Sounds about right to me. :coffee:

rcsodak
09-13-2009, 10:03 PM

LMAO.....

You know, I loved Shanny as much as the next guy, but when did this sudden

ability to make smart personnel decisions happen to hit him? :lol:

You're making him out to be a wheeler-dealer...which I think we've all come to

realize he wasn't.

Lonestar
09-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Well I heard he was going to trade him for a new DC..:laugh:

Simple Jaded
09-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Btw, why would Shanahan consult Jay Cutler beforehand? He's just a player.......

Simple Jaded
09-14-2009, 01:47 AM
LMAO.....

You know, I loved Shanny as much as the next guy, but when did this sudden

ability to make smart personnel decisions happen to hit him? :lol:

You're making him out to be a wheeler-dealer...which I think we've all come to

realize he wasn't.

When it came to making trades, Shanahan was capable of making great moves, Champ Bailey and Jay Cutler are prime examples.......

CoachChaz
09-14-2009, 07:16 AM
When it came to making trades, Shanahan was capable of making great moves, Champ Bailey and Jay Cutler are prime examples.......

Meanwhile, we didnt have a dependable running back since Portis left in return for a guy that couldnt single-handedly save our defense...

...and we got a QB that has yet to live up to his potential and whined his way out of town.

Great trades indeed.