PDA

View Full Version : Broncos fan in the Madison, WI area

badgerheel
01-17-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm a big Broncos fan living in Madison, Wisconsin. I've been looking for some other Broncos fans to watch the game with. Does anyone know any good places to go in the area, or is anybody interested in possibly meeting up for the AFC Championship game?

dogfish
01-17-2014, 03:23 PM
sneakers lives in the area, i think-- but he's terrified of people. . .

FanInAZ
01-17-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm a big Broncos fan living in Madison, Wisconsin. I've been looking for some other Broncos fans to watch the game with. Does anyone know any good places to go in the area, or is anybody interested in possibly meeting up for the AFC Championship game?

Is the "heel" part of your screen name have anything to do with "Tar Heels"?

WTE
01-17-2014, 03:44 PM

How many cats do you own?

FanInAZ
01-17-2014, 03:50 PM
If you go to the site meetup.com, you can find every imaginable special interest social group you can imagine. I found Broncos group here in Phoenix that way.

BroncoNut
01-17-2014, 04:09 PM

is he? I know he's got his issues with the aspberger's but terrified? I never met an aspy.

Thnikkaman
01-17-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm 3 hours southwest of you along the 151.

badgerheel
01-17-2014, 04:29 PM
The "heel" part does indeed refer to the Tar Heels. Go Heels.

badgerheel
01-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Well at least I'll know there are some Broncos fans within a few hours of me. Feels pretty lonely in Wisconsin.

badgerheel
01-17-2014, 04:39 PM
If you go to the site meetup.com, you can find every imaginable special interest social group you can imagine. I found Broncos group here in Phoenix that way.
I did check there actually, none for my region unfortunately. Definitely an awesome site idea though, thanks

Thnikkaman
01-17-2014, 04:40 PM
At least you don't live in Iowa. Be thankful for that.

badgerheel
01-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Haha, I am. Wisconsin is pretty cool the rest of the time.

BroncoNut
01-17-2014, 04:50 PM

I used to be proud and all of being from Iowa, but not so much anymore

weazel
01-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Well at least I'll know there are some Broncos fans within a few hours of me. Feels pretty lonely in Wisconsin.

The Blue Oyster Lounge

dogfish
01-17-2014, 05:26 PM
The Blue Oyster Lounge

come on, man, time for some new material. . . that joke stopped bein' funny like twenty years ago. . .

FanInAZ
01-17-2014, 06:20 PM

is he? I know he's got his issues with the aspberger's but terrified? I never met an aspy.

I'm an Aspie too, & I have my social circles. I do know that most Aspies do have some social issue, but that doesn't necessary mean that they can't be part of social circles. I'll condense the 6 hour seminar that I did last April to a few bullet points. Note: Don't assume all of them apply to Sneakers or any other Aspie/Autistic.

* Aspies/Autistics are human beings that have the same needs & wants as any other human being, but have unique challenges in having them met.

* All human beings develop social skills in stages, Aspies/Autistics are delayed in progressing from stage to stage.

* This means that when most children start developing friendship, typically around 5 years, Aspies/Autistics are still content with solitary play. This can be misinterpreted as Aspies/Autistics having no interest in friendship.

* Aspies/Autistics usually have atypical senory processing issues that may interfere with they ability to socialize. This can result in hypersensitivity to sound, touch, etc. I have an auditory processing issue that effects my ability to decipher the sound wave in to coherent words spoken in certain voice tones and/or accents. Other issues of mine would take longer to explain, but I'd be more than happy to dialog about with anyone whose interest.

* The result of all of this is that when Aspies/Autistics do reach the developmental stage to where they do desire friendships, the result is often disastrous. This is usually the result of their peers being years ahead of them in their social development. Therefore their peers will...

a) ...be disinterested in socializing with them because of them being view as being "immature."

b) ...bully them because of the atypical mannerisms.

* The consequence of all of this is that Aspies/Autistics will have many of the same emotional/psychosocial domestic violence and sexual abuse survivors.

a) Based on my privet dialogs with numerous Aspies/Autistics, 25% of us are contemplating suicide before we become teenagers. I started at the age of 11, a late start by Aspie/Autistic standards. The youngest I've heard of was 9 years, 12 for the youngest who attempted.

b) Out of 6 guys that attend a support group I used to run, 3 of us had some degree of unwanted sexual contact. A 4th member told me that he tried to secretly tape record what his babysitter was doing to him & his younger sister when he was 8. He never told me why, only that she was furious with him when found the recorder & told him he could go to jail for do it.

So, anymore questions about why Aspies/Autistics often have trouble in social setting? Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that we can't find social setting where we can excel in. To make it short & sweet, we do much better in small common interest setting where we are excepted as we are. I've found such setting include:

* church groups

* 12 step groups (which I attend for codependency)

* Aspie/Autism support groups

* bowling leagues

* refugees

Temple Grandin, the most prominent Aspie/Autistic in North America, had a small circle of fellow horse enthusiast when she was in high school. Laura Nagel, an Aspie/Autistic self-advocate in Cottonwood, AZ, acquired social skills while socializing with a biker club during Saturday morning breakfast.

Unfortunately, most Aspies/Autistics refuse to believe that this is possible & therefore refuse to even try. Instead, they're putting all of their hope in training classes that cost $10,000s that they don't have, and a future cure that they probably won't be able to afford if one is ever found in their life time.

MOtorboat
01-17-2014, 06:40 PM
come on, man, time for some new material. . . that joke stopped bein' funny like twenty years ago. . .

Give him a break.

He's from Canada.