PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning: Broncos must focus on "finishing drives" vs. Patriots

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Exiting the field without a touchdown doesn't sit well with Peyton Manning, and the Broncos quarterback knows his team will have to be extra proficient when they host the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game on Sunday.

Although the Broncos beat San Diego 24-17 in last Sunday's divisional playoff game, three Broncos drives fizzled out as the result of a fumble by tight end Julius Thomas, a Manning interception inside the red zone and a missed field goal by Matt Prater.

"We left plenty out on the field last week," Manning said after Thursday's practice at the team's Dove Valley headquarters. "We have to concentrate on finishing drives.

rest - plus Peyton video
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24926557/broncos-continue-preparations-tom-brady-back-at-practice

Joel
01-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Sustaining and finishing. I haven't done a statistical count, but it seems like we have more PLAYS than true DRIVES, that it's often feast or famine, TDs or three-and-outs.

On the one hand, I like the idea of using passes as kill shots; tossing long balls that immediately score TDs or at least get us into FG range, so we don't have to worry about a SERIES of good plays building momentum and rhythm only to have a sudden Offensive Holding penalty and/or a couple plays with bad luck force us to punt.

On the other hand, I frequently find myself watching our always-shaky D head back onto the field and wishing we'd given them more time to rest—and it seems like I have 3 play TD "drives" produce that feeling about as often as three-and-outs do. Maybe if our kick coverage and Prevent D weren't so awful I'd feel better about it. As it stands though, when we score at the end of either half with even 20 seconds left I'm afraid to kickoff.

Hopefully it won't matter this week; the best offense in pro history will shell a weak D in the first half so they CAN'T keep trying to run us off the field, and Brady will have to throw to one good, one decent and many poor WRs blanketed by Champ, DRC, Woodyard and Trevathan. Then again, we only managed 17 pts in 3 full quarters against a bad D last week, so I wouldn't count on that against Brady and a stable of above average RBs. Manning's certainly right we must do more with opportunities we had plenty of but didn't expoit last week.

OrangeHoof
01-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Broncos led NFL in converting red zone trips to points during the regular season according to CBS last Sunday. All I care about is the W. Whether we win 48-47 or 17-16 makes no difference to me as long as our score is higher than theirs.

Joel
01-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Broncos led NFL in converting red zone trips to points during the regular season according to CBS last Sunday.
Yeah, I saw that, but couldn't help wondering our rank in red zone trips; it often seems all-or-nothing. Again, big plays are great because they produce points either immediately or a few plays thereafter, but it's hard to live on big plays in the playoffs: Sooner or later a defense will come along good enough to make you reach the end zone 5 yds at a time, or not at all. Even if they don't, our D isn't good or deep enough and doesn't have a deep enough bench it can spare any time to rest; a 3 play 30 second TD drive is great—but not for our D; three-and-outs are worse.

All I care about is the W. Whether we win 48-47 or 17-16 makes no difference to me as long as our score is higher than theirs.
No argument there, and it's reassuring to know we don't have to score EVERY time because we can score ANY time. Unfortunately, given the performance and injuries on our D and the increasing quality of opposition as the playoffs advance, we may be in a situation where we DO have to score every time, and take long enough doing it that our D can catch its breath (and the opponents can't.) That's why my favorite stat from last week was the one about our... first? TD drive being the longest of the year.

If it's going to be a ball control playoff (and since the remaining teams all run well and the SB's outside in NYC, that's likely,) it's not enough to just score points; we need ToP, too.

OrangeHoof
01-16-2014, 10:04 PM
You completely overlooked the point of the stat. If the Broncos are converting their red zone trips then they aren't winning solely on big play drives because you have to snap the ball inside the 20 for it to be considered a red zone trip. The Broncos did well in producing methodical drives that marched down the field and led to points, just as they did on all three TD drives on Sunday. They aren't a Chip Kelly team that races up and down the field like a fast-break basketball team. Frankly, they have to control the clock to keep their defense fresh. Over the course of the season, they slowed down the tempo although I'd like to see some hurry up this weekend because the Pats are just as thin on defense as we are and they aren't equipped for the altitude.

LawDog
01-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Sustaining and finishing. I haven't done a statistical count, but it seems like we have more PLAYS than true DRIVES, that it's often feast or famine, TDs or three-and-outs.

On the one hand, I like the idea of using passes as kill shots; tossing long balls that immediately score TDs or at least get us into FG range, so we don't have to worry about a SERIES of good plays building momentum and rhythm only to have a sudden Offensive Holding penalty and/or a couple plays with bad luck force us to punt.

On the other hand, I frequently find myself watching our always-shaky D head back onto the field and wishing we'd given them more time to rest—and it seems like I have 3 play TD "drives" produce that feeling about as often as three-and-outs do. Maybe if our kick coverage and Prevent D weren't so awful I'd feel better about it. As it stands though, when we score at the end of either half with even 20 seconds left I'm afraid to kickoff.

Hopefully it won't matter this week; the best offense in pro history will shell a weak D in the first half so they CAN'T keep trying to run us off the field, and Brady will have to throw to one good, one decent and many poor WRs blanketed by Champ, DRC, Woodyard and Trevathan. Then again, we only managed 17 pts in 3 full quarters against a bad D last week, so I wouldn't count on that against Brady and a stable of above average RBs. Manning's certainly right we must do more with opportunities we had plenty of but didn't expoit last week.

Geez Joel. Denver is the only team in history to score over 600 points in a season. And they had the only point differential over 200 this year. Only Seattle came with a sixty dollar bus ride and they were 21 behind at plus 186. If every three and out or quick strike score had you chomping your nails to the quick, you have impossibly high standards and will never, ever, be happy. Pour yourself a tall Aquavit, knock it back and enjoy Broncos football for a change.

EastCoastBronco
01-17-2014, 07:55 AM
We've got 2 really good RBs in our stable and an O-Line that loves to run block.
We ran for over 280 yards against the Pats the last time we played them...in their house.
A lot of people get so caught up with Manning and the receivers that the forget what a SOLID running attack we have.
Getting inside the 10 and attempting lots of fun pick plays and corner routes is all well and good but there is nothing more satisfying for an offence than running at a defence that is helpless to stop you.
That's how I would like to see us finish drives. Ground and Pound.

Joel
01-17-2014, 10:57 AM
You completely overlooked the point of the stat. If the Broncos are converting their red zone trips then they aren't winning solely on big play drives because you have to snap the ball inside the 20 for it to be considered a red zone trip. The Broncos did well in producing methodical drives that marched down the field and led to points, just as they did on all three TD drives on Sunday. They aren't a Chip Kelly team that races up and down the field like a fast-break basketball team. Frankly, they have to control the clock to keep their defense fresh. Over the course of the season, they slowed down the tempo although I'd like to see some hurry up this weekend because the Pats are just as thin on defense as we are and they aren't equipped for the altitude.
Big plays don't always reach the end zone, but usually score points by GETTING teams to the red zone: Even if they don't gain another yard they still come away with a FG.

That's fine, except you're absolutely right we must control the ball to keep our weak injured D fresh; whether it yields a TD, FG or NOTHING, zipping 50 yds downfield in one play doesn't do that.

Geez Joel. Denver is the only team in history to score over 600 points in a season. And they had the only point differential over 200 this year. Only Seattle came with a sixty dollar bus ride and they were 21 behind at plus 186. If every three and out or quick strike score had you chomping your nails to the quick, you have impossibly high standards and will never, ever, be happy. Pour yourself a tall Aquavit, knock it back and enjoy Broncos football for a change.
Well, last years playoff game did cost me a .750 of scotch, but this year's been better. Aquavit's not a bad idea though; it's certainly easier come by here. Yet the more our D—missing four key starters now (five if we count Moore)—is on the field the more nervous I am. At the very least, we play in thin air and Champ's hardly been able to practice this year; we need to control the ball.

Broncolingus
01-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Peyton Manning: Broncos must focus on "finishing drives" vs. Patriots

...and not turning the ball over, pls.

Good time for Denver to establish a HIGH "+" in the turnover ratio the next two games...:2thumbs: