PDA

View Full Version : Knowshon Moreno's "huge season" for Broncos springs from versatility

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2014, 08:33 PM
The orange blur swooshed in front of his face, and suddenly he saw this splotchy, disgusting, trodden grass, which for a fourth-quarter running back, well, is like seeing a sunset.

Left tackle Chris Clark elevator-door'd the hole for his fellow orange-clad Bronco, and Knowshon Moreno's third-and-1 run sealed Denver's playoff win last Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

"I've got to get it," Moreno said of that first down with 1:12 left, and the Broncos up 24-17. "We've got to get that first down. And that is basically what my mind-set was. ... I think everyone just dug deep, went out there and did what we had to do to come out with a big victory."

http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_24911520/knowshon-moreno-huge-season-broncos-springs-from-versatility

tripp
01-14-2014, 09:39 PM
I can't say enough positive things for Moreno this season. I'm extremely proud for the guy, and I hope he gets what he deserves and gets a new contract with us because not only has he earned it, but he's contributed a whole heck of a lot to our success this year. I really don't know if we would have won 13 games without him. :salute:

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 09:45 PM
The question is...how much is he worth and how much does he want? He's had a phenomenal season, but you can't pay him like a top 5 back. Montee is waiting in the wings and has played as well or better than Knowshon over the last month.

tripp
01-14-2014, 09:52 PM
The question is...how much is he worth and how much does he want? He's had a phenomenal season, but you can't pay him like a top 5 back. Montee is waiting in the wings and has played as well or better than Knowshon over the last month.

I'm no expert on contracts.. but if there was ever a chance we could give him a contract based on performance, maybe something like a 2 year contract and with incentives if you reach certain mile stones, I'd be game for that.

I just don't see how you could let him go and let Montee Ball take over the reigns, you need that veteran talent there to mentor Ball, and to have Moreno in the back field when it comes to pass protection until Ball learns to pick up blocks. We're in a win now state of mind, even next year regardless of what happens this year, so you have to keep him IMO.

gregbroncs
01-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Don't get me wrong I like Moreno and he has been huge for us this season. But I've been wanting Ball to get more carries lately. Ball to me seems to see the holes better and get more out of bad situations. I don't like that Moreno seems to have this tendency to just run into the back of his offensive line instead of finding some space. I hope Moreno is back but only if it's a reasonable contract as I still see Ball as the better back in the long run.
Ball just needs to stop fumbling.

aberdien
01-14-2014, 10:57 PM
I love Moreno and I hope he keeps his intensity up and stays with us for years to come.

Hawgdriver
01-14-2014, 11:17 PM
In my rainbows and unicorns world, both Moreno and Ball are with the Broncos for years to come.

CoachChaz
01-15-2014, 08:51 AM

Well...in a pass, pass, pass, run offense...his numbers still ended up with him being a top 3 back when you look at his total yards from scrimmage. But I agree...Montee has looked damn good since he got over the fumble issues and my boy CJ could be a very good #2. So...Moreno kind of has to come back at the right price.

Dzone
01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
We are lucky to have 2 good running backs. Wasnt too long ago when Hillman was our "best" back. You gotta love Ball and Moreno.

claymore
01-15-2014, 09:33 AM
A guy like Moreno is what makes you not want to give up on people. We need 53 dudes like that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Before we just assume Montee is an even swap, let's remember he's only getting about 15 snaps a game. Moreno's football IQ is not that easy to replace. His understanding of blitz pickups is pretty impressive.

Ravage!!!
01-15-2014, 11:03 AM

I love how Moreno has played htis season, but the game against the Chargers showed that Ball is the better RB. I don't think Moreno can 'demand' much from a team that has replaced him in the draft.

broncofaninfla
01-15-2014, 11:11 AM
I was one of the most outspoken critics of Moreno but I love the guy now. I hope it works out that he stays a Bronco for years to come. Love the intensity he is playing with this year.

Joel
01-15-2014, 03:17 PM
We are lucky to have 2 good running backs. Wasnt too long ago when Hillman was our "best" back. You gotta love Ball and Moreno.
Hillman was NEVER our best back, but I get your point and completely agree. If we'd had a second back as good as Moreno last year we might be defending SB Champs now: Instead, Moreno got hurt at the end of the playoff game vs. Baltimore (after a gutty 14 yd TD catch in the first half,) we sent Hillman in to run out the clock on our last regulation possession, and he couldn't do it. Injuries and fatigue necessitate TWO strong RBs; once again, if Ball could've been trusted when Moreno got his bone bruise at the end of this years NE game, we almost certainly win that one.

A guy like Moreno is what makes you not want to give up on people. We need 53 dudes like that.
I couldn't agree more. He and Manning are about the only guys I NEVER worry about believing their own BS, not showing up for the kickoff and/or not playing till the gun. Champ, DRC and Harris, too, but it's still an alarmingly rare quality on this team. Maybe it's just because of how close and how many times Moreno's come to the door closing on his NFL dream: He knows he can't count on ANY second chances, let alone an unlimited number. Which is also why I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk if the team that nearly cut him—TWICE—jerks him around on a new contract.

The headline doesn't really reflect the article, but it's valid: Morenos versatility puts him head and shoulders above the rest of our backfield. Ball may be a better pure runner (he often looks like it, and his statline certainly supports it,) but his pass blocking's been questionable much of the year (though it's gotten better the last month or so) and Moreno's an invaluable 3rd and long checkdown who breaks tackles and commando-crawls his way for conversions and TDs on catches where he Will. Not. Be. DENIED!

It's hard to overestimate the value of a RB who doesn't need to come out on passing downs because he can't block or catch, or ONLY comes in on passing downs because he can't run. That kind of rotation is like a neon sign for defenses; whenever there's any doubt what we're doing on 3rd and 7, it vanishes each time the great blocker/receiver who can't run enters the game. Remember early in the year when Montee Ball took the field on 1st down and we all knew it was a run because he can't pick up the blitz? Guess what: The defense knew that, too. ;)

Perhaps the offenses biggest advantage (and heaven knows it has plenty these days) is that it always knows its plans and need only find ONE crack in a defense that must therefore cover all its bases and guess the offenses plan. Take that away by telling the D what the offense is doing though and the balance shifts to the other side. In the games final minutes, everyone wants to be the team defending bombs rather than the one trying to stop runs and force a punt, but it's easier for BOTH defenses because they pretty much only need to stop one thing.

No offense wants to play the WHOLE game like that, and the proverbial "every-down back" prevents that unpleasant scenario. Whatever option we choose, simply HAVING lots of them is an advantage in itself because it keeps the D honest. That's an asset no Broncos back but Moreno brings to the table right now, and we'd be very foolish to give it up after being without it so long.

underrated29
01-15-2014, 03:48 PM
I think we all know how much I love knowshon and have pimped him up for the past 5 years. I like montee even more!!

In my ideal world montee would be the lead back with 15-20 carries and knowshon with 10-15 and third down. Knowshon is so damn deadly on screens and while we are calling them more than the last two years.....oooh that reminds me......anyway- we need to call more to him. They all go for big yardage every time. But his running up the gut and around the edges are not as good as Montee.

Joel
01-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Oh, and because I didn't say it before: Morenos consistent focus, performance and determination each week all year makes him, IMHO, more deserving of a SB Ring than anyone on this team (except maybe Champ, but that's because of his excellent career rather than this season specifically.) It's amazing for a guy we almost cut in two separate seasons.

tomjonesrocks
01-15-2014, 04:07 PM

Hate to say it, as he's really played well this year (and last, when healthy) but there's no way I'd pay him big money unless PFM demanded it with a restructure. There's good RBs in every draft, and they wake up done/get hurt so often it just doesn't make sense to allocate big money to one. D

raft well and keep rotating--sad but it is what it is. Glad to have him now.

dogfish
01-15-2014, 04:32 PM
after the way he's played this year, and with ball waiting in the wings, i can't see us re-signing knowshon to the type of deal he's worth. . . however, nobody else wants to pay RBs anymore either. . . if he doesn't get the type of long-term contract he's undoubtedly hoping for, i wouldn't be surprised if we brought him back on a cap-friendly one or two year deal. . . a lot of vets are being forced to take "prove it" deals, and i bet he'd rather stay here than start bouncing around the league. . . but either way, i think the market dictates his future here. . .

Joel
01-15-2014, 04:42 PM
after the way he's played this year, and with ball waiting in the wings, i can't see us re-signing knowshon to the type of deal he's worth. . . however, nobody else wants to pay RBs anymore either. . . if he doesn't get the type of long-term contract he's undoubtedly hoping for, i wouldn't be surprised if we brought him back on a cap-friendly one or two year deal. . . a lot of vets are being forced to take "prove it" deals, and i bet he'd rather stay here than start bouncing around the league. . . but either way, i think the market dictates his future here. . .
The problem is that after the way we've bashed him and screwed him around almost from the day we signed him, followed by his high level performance the last season and a half, that would be less of a "prove it" than "screw you" deal. "We almost cut you two of your first three seasons, and sent you back out to play on a bone bruise when you'd already gained 200 yds in the best game of your pro career, but take this incentive-laden deal because we're still not sold on you." Seriously, what does the guy have to do at this point?

If it were me (which it certainly isn't) in that boat my reaction would be "this front office will NEVER believe in me and pay me accordingly—WHATEVER I do—so it's time to find one that does and will coming off the best year of my career, before these guys turn on me again and give my job to the rookie in the same spot I was in five years ago."

Meanwhile, I'll just throw this out from the Wikipedia article on Moreno:
During the Broncos' Week 16 win over the Houston Texans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Houston_Texans_season), Moreno became the first Bronco in franchise history to rush for over 1000 yards and receive for over 500 yards in the same season.[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowshon_Moreno#cite_note-13)

Ravage!!!
01-17-2014, 12:42 PM
T
If it were me (which it certainly isn't) in that boat my reaction would be "this front office will NEVER believe in me and pay me accordingly—WHATEVER I do—so it's time to find one that does and will coming off the best year of my career, before these guys turn on me again and give my job to the rookie in the same spot I was in five years ago."

And if he can find a great offer somewhere else, he should JUMP on it. This was the first year he's basically remained healthy, and he needs to take advantage of that. Personally, I think Ball is looking like the better runner, anyway. I LOVe how well Moreno performed this season, but last year he was beaten out by a much older RB.

Moreno does not have great speed and he's not power. So what is he? He's not going to be a game breaker and keep teams worried on their heels for the home run blast through the LoS. So there are still concerns about his durability, and the questions about his stats this season can be questioned in regards to.. "was it Moreno or was it the fact that our offense had the greatest passing attack in NFL History?" Considering his past, my first inclination would be to go with the latter.

I don't know if there is bad blood between Moreno and Denver. There shouldn't be. He got the chances when he was healthy to prove himself. Yes, we draft guys to replace him, but his propensity to get injured pretty much forced that hand. I have ZERO against Moreno, and have admitted many times that his perfomance this year has greatly outdone my expectations of him. However, my expectations were pretty damned low. Staying healthy through THIS much of the season out-did my expectations. So I can't say that the FO has ANYTHING to try and prove to Moreno as far as "believing" in him. He's made his own bed, and forced Denver to take steps to be able to just move on.

BroncoWave
01-17-2014, 04:29 PM
And if he can find a great offer somewhere else, he should JUMP on it. This was the first year he's basically remained healthy, and he needs to take advantage of that. Personally, I think Ball is looking like the better runner, anyway. I LOVe how well Moreno performed this season, but last year he was beaten out by a much older RB.

Moreno does not have great speed and he's not power. So what is he? He's not going to be a game breaker and keep teams worried on their heels for the home run blast through the LoS. So there are still concerns about his durability, and the questions about his stats this season can be questioned in regards to.. "was it Moreno or was it the fact that our offense had the greatest passing attack in NFL History?" Considering his past, my first inclination would be to go with the latter.

I don't know if there is bad blood between Moreno and Denver. There shouldn't be. He got the chances when he was healthy to prove himself. Yes, we draft guys to replace him, but his propensity to get injured pretty much forced that hand. I have ZERO against Moreno, and have admitted many times that his perfomance this year has greatly outdone my expectations of him. However, my expectations were pretty damned low. Staying healthy through THIS much of the season out-did my expectations. So I can't say that the FO has ANYTHING to try and prove to Moreno as far as "believing" in him. He's made his own bed, and forced Denver to take steps to be able to just move on.

Wrong.

NightTerror218
01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
He would be a good vet to ball

Ravage!!!
01-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Wrong.

Hah.. there you go. Focus in on the important stuff. Just like you to find a minor point that really has no consequence to the points of the discussion just so you can make your "awesome" correction. Let me guess, you are going to count the fact that he wasn't hurt his rookie season? Great. 1 healthy season followed by three injured ones, and I'm "wrong" by saying the first year he's "basically" REMAINED healthy. Yeah.. .I'm so VERY wrong on that. Brilliant.

BroncoWave
01-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Hah.. there you go. Focus in on the important stuff. Just like you to find a minor point that really has no consequence to the points of the discussion just so you can make your "awesome" correction. Let me guess, you are going to count the fact that he wasn't hurt his rookie season? Great. 1 healthy season followed by three injured ones, and I'm "wrong" by saying the first year he's "basically" REMAINED healthy. Yeah.. .I'm so VERY wrong on that. Brilliant.

The rest of your post was a bunch of drivel that really wasn't worth responding to.

Broncolingus
01-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Really impressed with the year he's had...

...great attitude and effort and it sure showed on the field.

Hopefully one of many more!!!

Also ironic that the year the injury bug seems to have really hit the Bronco's hard, he's been pretty darn healthy all year...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-17-2014, 06:12 PM

Also ironic that the year the injury bug seems to have really hit the Bronco's hard, he's been pretty darn healthy all year...

Yep, and it's great to have a backup like Ball. Of course last year the injury bug took out 1a and 1b.

Joel
01-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Yep, and it's great to have a backup like Ball. Of course last year the injury bug took out 1a and 1b.
It's not just great: It's necessary, so starter injury/fatigue doesn't leave us trying to ice playoff wins with the likes of Hillman, or with no one to close out OT road wins against our primary conference rival. Fortunately NE dropped a few down the stretch or the AFCCG would be in NE, which tends to end badly for EVERYONE except them.

This isn't an either/or scenario; not "we've got Ball so we don't need Moreno." We need TWO solid RBs, because starters get tired/hurt, and RBs tend to have short careers anyway. Now, whether we can afford to KEEP a former first round pick in his prime coming off his careers best year AND last years second round pick is a valid question, but Ball's contract isn't massive and doesn't expire tomorrow. When it does, we'll have three more draft classes and Moreno will be 29 (in fact, he'll be 30 by that preseason;) THEN it might be worth shopping/releasing Moreno.

Right now—today—we need both, unless someone thinks Hillman, Anderson, some FA or a late round draft pick is our long term solution at #2. That's assuming Ball can block and catch on a level reasonably close to Morenos next year,far from given. The cap won't let us keep Pro Bowlers two levels deep at every position, but we need more than one good every-down back.

In fact, if we can hold onto TWO backs who do everything adequately we won't need a couple rosters spots for runners who can't block and a couple more for blockers who can't run. That's a big deal; next years rookie minimum wage is $420,000, and rises $75,000 for each of the first four years of play (i.e. it's $730,000 for 4th year players, and goes up to $855,000 for 7th-9th year players.) Multiply that by 3 or 4 players who do one or two things better than Moreno but don't do EVERYTHING nearly as well, and I'd rather pay him.

Personally, I think it's too soon to speculate about next years cap situation if only because Manning could retire if he doesn't like the result of next Marchs neck scan and there's no way Champs scheduled pay day arrives at its present value. That's about $30 million of cap money that's in limbo till the offseason.

drewloc
01-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Moreno is definitely one of those guys that the younger players need to look at. With all his struggles in the beginning, he put his head down and busted his ass to get where he is now. A great inspiration.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-18-2014, 03:39 AM
It's not just great: It's necessary, so starter injury/fatigue doesn't leave us trying to ice playoff wins with the likes of Hillman, or with no one to close out OT road wins against our primary conference rival. Fortunately NE dropped a few down the stretch or the AFCCG would be in NE, which tends to end badly for EVERYONE except them.

This isn't an either/or scenario; not "we've got Ball so we don't need Moreno." We need TWO solid RBs, because starters get tired/hurt, and RBs tend to have short careers anyway. Now, whether we can afford to KEEP a former first round pick in his prime coming off his careers best year AND last years second round pick is a valid question, but Ball's contract isn't massive and doesn't expire tomorrow. When it does, we'll have three more draft classes and Moreno will be 29 (in fact, he'll be 30 by that preseason;) THEN it might be worth shopping/releasing Moreno.

Right now—today—we need both, unless someone thinks Hillman, Anderson, some FA or a late round draft pick is our long term solution at #2. That's assuming Ball can block and catch on a level reasonably close to Morenos next year,far from given. The cap won't let us keep Pro Bowlers two levels deep at every position, but we need more than one good every-down back.

In fact, if we can hold onto TWO backs who do everything adequately we won't need a couple rosters spots for runners who can't block and a couple more for blockers who can't run. That's a big deal; next years rookie minimum wage is $420,000, and rises $75,000 for each of the first four years of play (i.e. it's $730,000 for 4th year players, and goes up to $855,000 for 7th-9th year players.) Multiply that by 3 or 4 players who do one or two things better than Moreno but don't do EVERYTHING nearly as well, and I'd rather pay him.

Personally, I think it's too soon to speculate about next years cap situation if only because Manning could retire if he doesn't like the result of next Marchs neck scan and there's no way Champs scheduled pay day arrives at its present value. That's about $30 million of cap money that's in limbo till the offseason.

True, but sometimes 2 isn't enough. We had 2 last year and neither was healthy in the second half against Baltimore.

underrated29
01-18-2014, 04:03 AM

I Unjinx Both Of Your Jinx

*UnJinxBothJinx*

*UnJinxAllJinx*

broncophan
01-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Nice to see Moreno finally play well....however....he held out for more cash when the broncos drafted him...does nothing for 3 years....and has been injury prone.....then...amazingly enough....plays well during his contract year...whether it is coincidence or not....I wouldn't go crazy with giving him a huge contract...

Joel
01-18-2014, 01:39 PM
True, but sometimes 2 isn't enough. We had 2 last year and neither was healthy in the second half against Baltimore.
Oh, no doubt; that's just one more reason to lock up Moreno: We need at LEAST two every-down backs and only have ONE proven one when we might need THREE at some point.

Nice to see Moreno finally play well....however....he held out for more cash when the broncos drafted him...does nothing for 3 years....and has been injury prone.....then...amazingly enough....plays well during his contract year...whether it is coincidence or not....I wouldn't go crazy with giving him a huge contract...
We almost cut him in two different seasons; I kinda doubt he was loafing until his contract ran out and he could turn it on to demand a big payday. For one thing, we originally had a 2014 club option for $1 million (pretty cheap for a starting RB) but somehow voided it over the last year. Oops.

Ravage!!!
01-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I think its fair to say that everyone would be on board for re-signing Moreno, for the right price. I mean, that's what it always comes down to, right? Decker is HUGE for this offense, but for the right price. The difference is, we don't already have Decker's replacement on the roster. RBs are the easiest positon to play in the NFL, and are the easiest to replace. RBs have a short shelf life, as is, not to mention a guy that has shown injury troubles throughout his career.

No player is looking to have "incentive laden" contracts. THey are BS, and I don't blame them. So Moreno is going to look for the most guaranteed money available. The good news about keeping him around, is that I just don't see a BIG market for a RB like Moreno.

slim
01-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Montee is ready to break out. I hope they keep Moreno around, but I doubt they pay him what he wants.

Ravage!!!
01-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Montee is ready to break out. I hope they keep Moreno around, but I doubt they pay him what he wants.

I agree. I think last week showed that Ball is the better RB, and Knowshon will soon be used as a compliment to Montee.

slim
01-18-2014, 02:41 PM
I agree. I think last week showed that Ball is the better RB, and Knowshon will soon be used as a compliment to Montee.

It seems that way to me too. Not that I'm trying to diminish what Knowshon did this year, he has been great. But I would be surprised if he is the starting RB next year.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Over the past two seasons I defended Moreno on here, stuck with him and was willing to go for bat for him when nearly everyone else was ready and willing to kick him to the curb. It's nice to see him have a resurgent bounce back year and stay healthy but going forward Montee Ball is obviously the option. He has better vision, less durability concerns, both are similar when it comes to strength and quickness. Knowshon is a better blocker, takes care of the ball better (both things that Montee should improve on with experience) and you can't put a price on the veteran intangibles Moreno brings as well as the mentorship he provides. In a perfect world, we keep both of them with Knowshon taking a little less than he would get on the open market but the team has more important decisions to make and it wouldn't surprise me to see them let him walk. It's comforting having some depth at RB though and Hillman doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Joel
01-18-2014, 04:01 PM
I think its fair to say that everyone would be on board for re-signing Moreno, for the right price. I mean, that's what it always comes down to, right? Decker is HUGE for this offense, but for the right price. The difference is, we don't already have Decker's replacement on the roster. RBs are the easiest positon to play in the NFL, and are the easiest to replace. RBs have a short shelf life, as is, not to mention a guy that has shown injury troubles throughout his career.

No player is looking to have "incentive laden" contracts. THey are BS, and I don't blame them. So Moreno is going to look for the most guaranteed money available. The good news about keeping him around, is that I just don't see a BIG market for a RB like Moreno.
GOOD running backs are so easily replaced we've been trying and failing to do it ever since we traded Portis for Champ. Further, that short shelf life is a primary reason one isn't enough: Until/unless Ball can fill his spot AND we have ANOTHER RB who can at least adequately substitute, we need Moreno at least as much as Ball.

Like you say though, the good news is there shouldn't be HUGE market demand for Moreno, so we ought to be able to make him a decent offer. He is coming off his best year though, and his versatility means pretty much all 32 teams could make good use of him.

BroncoJoe
01-19-2014, 10:17 AM
I just don't think he'll demand (either himself or from other teams) all that much money. His rookie year was pretty good, and now this year. That's two out of five years where he's somewhat preformed. I hope he remains a Bronco.

turftoad
01-19-2014, 10:21 AM

I think it's been proven that a team needs more than 1 good RB now days. We need to re sign the man.

MOtorboat
01-19-2014, 10:23 AM
What happened to Moreno's team option for 2014? Spotrac doesn't list it now, and I swear it was there. There must have been incentives in his contract that voided it?

Anyone?

atwater27
01-19-2014, 10:43 AM
OK, I never gave Knowshawn the credit he deserves out of hatred for the guy who drafted him. So I give thee Knowhshawn the props thou deserves. Now prove my devotion and make Josh McDaniels wish that he never drafted you!

Joel
01-19-2014, 02:54 PM
What happened to Moreno's team option for 2014? Spotrac doesn't list it now, and I swear it was there. There must have been incentives in his contract that voided it?

Anyone?
I can't find anything specific online, but apparently we somehow voided it in the last year. And it was a CHEAP option (by NFL standards,) "only" $1 million. I guess even Elway makes mistakes.