PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign former Patriot Marquice Cole, place Derek Wolfe on injured reserve

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 05:43 PM
The Broncos needed a cornerback in the wake of Chris Harris‘ torn ACL and they decided to sign one with some first-hand knowledge of their opponents in the AFC Championship Game.

The Broncos announced that they have signed cornerback Marquice Cole, who made several trips on and off the Patriots roster over the course of the 2013 season. His last stay with the Pats ended 19 days ago and while it’s fun to think this is all about tweaking the opposition, any tips he might be able to give the Broncos about New England’s schemes are likely secondary to the Broncos’ needs at corner with Harris out of the lineup.

Cole played 13 games with the Pats this season, making 15 tackles and intercepting one pass.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/14/broncos-sign-former-patriot-marquice-cole-place-derek-wolfe-on-injured-reserve/

BroncoJoe
01-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Like the pickup. Any advantage is acceptable!

Sucks about Wolfe. I'm hoping what ever he's battling starts heading in the right direction.

Ravage!!!
01-14-2014, 05:50 PM
I dont think this is about getting tips, because I think Belicheck knows his strengths and weaknesses as a corner better than he knows the offense. Lets hope that he doesn't have to get into the game.

BroncoJoe
01-14-2014, 05:51 PM
I dont think this is about getting tips, because I think Belicheck knows his strengths and weaknesses as a corner better than he knows the offense. Lets hope that he doesn't have to get into the game.

Thanks, Debbie.

Ravage!!!
01-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Debbie.

No problem, Alice.

Dzone
01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
This kid is game ready. Put him in coach!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 22m

Broncos (finally) put DE Derek Wolfe on IR, as well as CB Chris Harris. Signed CB Marquise Cole (from NE) and T Vinston Painter (from PS)

WTE
01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Hey Joel!

Remember when you said this just a week ago when the Colts signed Deion Branch? LOL!

It's well within the rules, but very unsporting; the kind of thing one expects to be pulled by rather than on the Pats. Say, the week before facing their 2011 Divisional Playoff opponent. ;)

Hey, what do you have to say now buddy? LOL!

TXBRONC
01-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Hey Joel!

Remember when you said this just a week ago when the Colts signed Deion Branch? LOL!

The Colts didn't lose a receiver the week prior to their playoff game against the Chiefs. Take your trash elswhere.

WTE
01-14-2014, 06:15 PM
The Colts didn't lose a receiver the week prior to their playoff game against the Chiefs. Take your trash elswhere.

I'm not talking to you I'm talking to Joel!

And you spelled elsewhere incorrectly.

(Oh, and the Colts lost a receiver prior to the Pats game. Heyward-Bey. I think you might be lost here)

Joel! Where are you!!

tomjonesrocks
01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Ha. How convenient. This move sure didn't help the Colts, but ok.

Hope Wolfe's career isn't in jeopardy. Denver could have certainly used him. Guy is missing out on things players work their whole career for.

WTE
01-14-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm very familiar with Marquice. I like his game. He covers well and has good closing skills. BB likes him too or else he still wouldn't have had a locker in Foxboro.

But honestly, how many of you have ever heard of him before?

BroncoJoe
01-14-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm very familiar with Marquice. I like his game. He covers well and has good closing skills. BB likes him too or else he still wouldn't have had a locker in Foxboro.

Who hasn't?

PatriotsGuy
01-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Hey Joel!

Lol!

WTE
01-14-2014, 06:34 PM
lol!

lol!

BroncoJoe
01-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Get a room you two.

You all know my feelings on Joel. I think ANY competitive advantage you can get, you get.

WTE
01-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Get a room you two.

You all know my feelings on Joel. I think ANY competitive advantage you can get, you get.

IMO, Marquice was prolly the best game ready CB available so I don't have a problem w/ it. I just find it hysterical that Joel thinks signing Branch is "unsporting" when he was out of the league all year, meanwhile Marquice still has his name plate in Foxboro.

weazel
01-14-2014, 06:43 PM
I like it, he's gotta be better than Jammer

Ravage!!!
01-14-2014, 06:44 PM
I like it, he's gotta be better than Jammer

can't possibly be worse.

Slick
01-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Don't encourage him, Pags.

Army Bronco
01-14-2014, 07:05 PM
lol!

lol!Sorry Joel but this is kinda funny. Not jumping ship Here.

WTE
01-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Sorry Joel but this is kinda funny. Not jumping ship Here.

The VC is in hiding AB. Go sniff him out from the brush and drag him back here.

He has some 'splaining to do!

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 22m

Broncos (finally) put DE Derek Wolfe on IR, as well as CB Chris Harris. Signed CB Marquise Cole (from NE) and T Vinston Painter (from PS)

That's an odd move with Winston Justice on the roster. I was hoping the 2nd spot would be used to activate Rahim Moore. I wonder if someone tried to sign Painter away from us.

pulse
01-14-2014, 07:10 PM
I don't see in the rule book where signing an opponent's former player during the week leading up to a game is against the rules. Regardless, Marquice Cole is a much better signing for the Broncos versus Deon Branch with the Colts. Looks as if their signing of Deon was merely to gain some veteran leadership in the lockerroom and some intel on his experience in practice against the Patriot defense. On the other hand, Marquice Cole is actually good enough to contribute and will likely see some playing time in some nickel cover packages. For obvious reasons, Webster is probably spending this entire week in practice sharing the corner with Jammer. Cole has played in similar nickel with the Patriots. All in all, makes sense.

Dzone
01-14-2014, 07:11 PM
This guy was on the 53 man roster of the patriots just a few weeks ago. That can only be helpful. Not sure why NE cut him.
This is like the Mincey signing in that it is immediate help

WTE
01-14-2014, 07:18 PM
This guy was on the 53 man roster of the patriots just a few weeks ago. That can only be helpful. Not sure why NE cut him.
This is like the Mincey signing in that it is immediate help

BB didn't want to cut him. I think he need his spot when Solder had concussion issues and BB needed to shore up the OL. Something like that.

Joel
01-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Actually, I believe they did (could be wrong though.) Regardless, I am as constant as the Northern Star (which is coincidentally about a block from my apartment:) It's legal, yes; sporting, no. I'm just relieved someone came looking for me in another thread to let me know they weren't calling me out in this one (and certainly not repeatedly, right?) This just in: Boston State House is NOT the hub of the Solar System. Good heavens, man, I'm a native TEXAN: I've had bowel movements bigger than Boston. ;) Better smelling, too.

VonDoom
01-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Thanks. I'll admit that I actually had never heard of him, but this makes him sound pretty good for a guy we're picking up right before a huge game. Seems like the Pats would want to keep him around ... unless of course he's spying for Billy B.

I kid. Mostly.

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 08:13 PM
I can't believe that Elway fell for the Trojan Horse scheme employed here by the Evil Empire. This was an obvious setup that was in the works weeks ago.

Step 1: Cut Marquice Cole
Step 2: Get a Broncos corner to cut wrong and tear an ACL.
Step 3: Entice John Elway into signing Cole to replace the injured Bronco player.
Step 4: Have Cole send videos of the Broncos playbook back to BB.

Now we're screwed! We know BB's real identity.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Fw-fKETqiZQ/TfmvIEZojCI/AAAAAAAAARA/QKZ5_94xLuU/s400/darth-sidious-bill-belichick.jpg

pulse
01-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks. I'll admit that I actually had never heard of him, but this makes him sound pretty good for a guy we're picking up right before a huge game. Seems like the Pats would want to keep him around ... unless of course he's spying for Billy B.

I kid. Mostly.

Marquice Cole was signed mainly due to his familiarity as a nickel back. Denver nickel scheme is very similar to the Patriots. This move adds depth in that package and I suspect Cole will play some in rotation in third and long situations. He wasn't signed to replace Harris. I suspect with Jammer's problems, Webster and Carter will be getting a lot of work there this week. I'm going to say that Webster starts on the corner. Bailey will probably continue to cover the slot, but Cole will provide much needed depth in the 4-2-5 because that is what he predominately played in for the Patriots and also what he had experience with in going up against Brady and the Patriot offense in practice in that same scheme. This was a smart move on the part the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2014, 10:23 PM
You can put to bed any additional chatter about the Broncos using Cole for trade secrets regarding New England's defense. This boils down to Denver's pressing need to fortify a banged-up secondary ahead of the biggest Broncos tilt of the Peyton Manning era.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000313209/article/denver-broncos-sign-marquice-cole-place-wolfe-on-ir

WTE
01-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Damn! They're playing re-runs!

It's well within the rules, but very unsporting; the kind of thing one expects to be pulled by rather than on the Pats. Say, the week before facing their 2011 Divisional Playoff opponent. ;)

Army Bronco
01-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Actually, I believe they did (could be wrong though.) Regardless, I am as constant as the Northern Star (which is coincidentally about a block from my apartment:) It's legal, yes; sporting, no. I'm just relieved someone came looking for me in another thread to let me know they weren't calling me out in this one (and certainly not repeatedly, right?) This just in: Boston State House is NOT the hub of the Solar System. Good heavens, man, I'm a native TEXAN: I've had bowel movements bigger than Boston. ;) Better smelling, too.Nobody called you out...it was just funny to me the whole situation. Quit instigating WTE!!! Joel is good people.

SM19
01-15-2014, 12:25 AM
I saw a lot of Marquice Cole in college and never much liked him as a player, but anyone still available at this time of the year is bound to be well below replacement level. Hopefully he's developed some during his time in the league. This is a depth signing, though, not a solution.

zbeg
01-15-2014, 07:05 AM
I saw a lot of Marquice Cole in college and never much liked him as a player, but anyone still available at this time of the year is bound to be well below replacement level. Hopefully he's developed some during his time in the league. This is a depth signing, though, not a solution.

And he's been good on special teams. That's what you want from your last corner. Any team that's starting a corner they signed off the street is likely going to have some serious issues.

TXBRONC
01-15-2014, 07:33 AM
I'm not talking to you I'm talking to Joel!

And you spelled elsewhere incorrectly.

(Oh, and the Colts lost a receiver prior to the Pats game. Heyward-Bey. I think you might be lost here)

Joel! Where are you!!

To bad and no I'm not lost dipshit.

broncofaninfla
01-15-2014, 11:34 AM
I see the Niners were close to signing Painter, his promotion makes sense now.

BroncoNut
01-15-2014, 11:44 AM
I didn't know you could sign people at this time. but I didnt' know that you couldn't sign, so,... there you have it.

BroncoNut
01-15-2014, 11:45 AM

we don't remember names of all the dudes that we blow so.,.... yeah,....... you just might have something there WTE.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2014, 12:35 PM
I see the Niners were close to signing Painter, his promotion makes sense now.

Promoting rookie offensive tackle Vinston Painter from the practice squad, where he had been through the first 18 weeks of the season, to the Broncos’ 53-man roster Tuesday was a surprise considering there was no particular need with the relative good health of starters Chris Clark and Orlando Franklin and backup Winston Justice.

Turns out, the San Francisco 49ers needed tackle depth entering their NFC championship game Sunday at Seattle and tried to sign Painter off the Broncos’ practice squad.

Instead, the Broncos signed Painter, whom the team selected in the sixth round of the 2013 draft, to their 53-man roster.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/01/15/vinston-painter-promoted-after-drawing-49ers-interest/25143/

atwater27
01-15-2014, 12:40 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/01/15/vinston-painter-promoted-after-drawing-49ers-interest/25143/

The behind the scenes tactical maneuvering is fascinating to behold.

WTE
01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
we don't remember names of all the dudes that we blow so.,.... yeah,....... you just might have something there WTE.

Well if you remember the AFC Championship Game last year when Baltimore beat NE Marquice Cole is the guy who Anquan Boldin continually torched.

BroncoNut
01-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Well if you remember the AFC Championship Game last year when Baltimore beat NE Marquice Cole is the guy who Anquan Boldin continually torched.

I don't remember that game. Baltimore and NE in the AFCCG. I remember that San Fran and some other NFC team played for the NFCCG championship. man, I just can't seem to remember. Was it Atlanta? . it was Baltimore and San fran in the superbowl, I remember that. fill me in.

WTE
01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
I don't remember that game. Baltimore and NE in the AFCCG. I remember that San Fran and some other NFC team played for the NFCCG championship. man, I just can't seem to remember. Was it Atlanta? . it was Baltimore and San fran in the superbowl, I remember that. fill me in.

Yes, AFCCG. Boldin over Marquice Cole in the endzone multiple times. And by multiple I mean several.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Yes, it was Atlanta. Atlanta beat the Seahawks in the divisional round last year.

BroncoNut
01-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Yes, it was Atlanta. Atlanta beat the Seahawks in the divisional round last year.

yeah, I remember that now, thanks. a lot of the same players this year if you think about it.. did Atlanta knock seattle out or was that San Fran?

BroncoNut
01-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Yes, AFCCG. Boldin over Marquice Cole in the endzone multiple times. And by multiple I mean several.

by multiple, your wife means someone else

WTE
01-15-2014, 01:21 PM
by multiple, your wife means someone else

White or black?

BroncoNut
01-15-2014, 01:22 PM
White or black?

I don't like what you are saying about this recent cb pickup, but iirc, bolden is not playing with the Patriots.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Marquice Cole is the new guy on the block, but he's preparing for Sunday's showdown against New England as though he's a seasoned veteran.

After his first practice with the Broncos on Wednesday, he was left to wonder what role he would play against the Patriots. A knee injury to cornerback Chris Harris in Sunday's victory over San Diego opened an emergency roster spot in the Broncos' defensive backfield. Denver signed Cole on Tuesday.

"I'm preparing as if I'm the No. 1 cornerback on the team," Cole said. "I'm preparing as if I'm playing the whole game. If I'm called on, I'm going to be ready for any situation they put me in. They know what I can do."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24922055/new-broncos-cornerback-marquice-cole-ready-hit-ground

Simple Jaded
01-23-2014, 12:06 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5950/ramon-harewood

Uh oh, Broncos just signed former Seahawks TE Jameson Konz to a futures contract, bush league.

Phenomenal athlete, btw.

WTE
01-23-2014, 12:31 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5950/ramon-harewood

Uh oh, Broncos just signed former Seahawks TE Jameson Konz to a futures contract, bush league.

Phenomenal athlete, btw.

Simple Jaded
01-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Speaking of unsporting, it's very unsporting to complain about an illegal pick that never happened.

Joel
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Hey, if we hadn't had Welker and Cole to teach us how to set picks that actually AREN'T picks, Amendola would've had >1 catch. You really wanna reshash old comments? Remember when you said Edelman and Amendola were sooo much better than Welker, and I said Edelman's good but not great, Amendola's average and the rest of NEs WRs are rookie scrubs? Apart from an over-the-hill scrub in Collie (who still outplayed every NE WR but Edelman) looks like I was pretty much dead on, eh?

I don't think we signed a TE to give us any insights into the Seattle D of which he was never a part. I still wouldn't have done it, not just because we signed him when facing his team in our next game, but because any TE not good enough for a team that passes as little as Seattle is of dubious quality. It's legal but not right, and we all know how NE fans feel about things that are legal but (in their opinion) wrong—unless NE's doing it, of course.

BroncoNut
01-23-2014, 01:15 PM
I remember WTE saying all of that Joel. particularly Edelman being better than Welker. what a comment that came back to bite him (WTE) in the arse

WTE
01-23-2014, 02:15 PM
I remember WTE saying all of that Joel. particularly Edelman being better than Welker. what a comment that came back to bite him (WTE) in the arse

I might need to consider if you and I should no longer be on speaking terms.

Well, writing terms actually but I think you know what I mean.

BroncoNut
01-23-2014, 02:26 PM
I might need to consider if you and I should no longer be on speaking terms.

Well, writing terms actually but I think you know what I mean.

you know sometimes people that care for you the most tell you things that you don't want to hear necessarily. you will continue to communicate with me on this forum WTE. I can understand your recent disappointment , but You WILL change your attitude and behavior or there WILL be consequences

Joel
01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Well, to be fair, Edelman did OK considering he was covered by a VERY good CB; Edelman's not bad, just not Welker either. I think most everyone expected DRC to shut him down though, putting the game on whether Champ looked like his old self and Amendola was anything more than the average WR I said. Champ did, Amendola wasn't: Game over.

Belichick bought into his own BS and thought Brady ensured he could make Pro Bowlers out of any 20 guys he grabbed off the street at random. Turns out he can't.

BroncoNut
01-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Well, to be fair, Edelman did OK considering he was covered by a VERY good CB; Edelman's not bad, just not Welker either. I think most everyone expected DRC to shut him down though, putting the game on whether Champ looked like his old self and Amendola was anything more than the average WR I said. Champ did, Amendola wasn't: Game over.

Belichick bought into his own BS and thought Brady ensured he could make Pro Bowlers out of any 20 guys he grabbed off the street at random. Turns out he can't.

oh, I like Edelman a lot. very impressive receiver. WTE just makes ridiculous claims when comparing patriot and bronco players. it's just fear and jealousy