PDA

View Full Version : What Was Different in the First 3 Quarters of the Chargers Game

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 05:21 PM
The Broncos were pitching a shutout in the first 3 quarters against the San Diego Chargers. It was the best defensive effort by this team all season, so I went back to see what was different. Del Rio came into this game with an aggressive game plan. No soft zone defense. His game plan was to play Chris Harris and DRC man to man on the outside, and load the box. It was working to perfection right up until the point that Chris Harris got hurt midway through the 3rd quarter. We all know what happened in the 4th. Kudos to JDR. He finally played to the strengths of this D and it was paying huge dividends, although I have no idea why it took him the entire season to figure it out.

The question now is how to play the Patsies. I like Champ and DRC manning up on Amendola and Eddleman regardless of where they're playing. The Patriots don't have any other receivers that can hurt us, and loading the box will help against the run. I think we've been a bit spoiled by the talent at corner on this team. For years we were starved for a single decent corner to play across from Champ. Now we have (had) 3 studs in Champ, DRC, and Harris. We'll be fine with 2, as long as either Kayvon, Carter, or Jammer don't completely collapse at the 3rd corner spot. Yeah, I know what happened Sunday. I think that adjustments will be made.

Here's an interview with Chris Harris. He talks about the defensive game plan about 2 minutes into it.
http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=743&f=2305543

NightTerror218
01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
I think there was less blitzes as well in the 4th quarter and we got less pressure overall

BroncoWave
01-14-2014, 06:29 PM
The Pats don't have any WRs even close to as fast as Allen, so I don't think you will see Jammer get burnt even close to as badly as last week. As long as DRC and Champ are on Amendola and Edelman, we will be fine.

DenBronx
01-14-2014, 06:32 PM
The only differance was Harris getting hurt. He is a huge weapon in the secondary.

Ravage!!!
01-14-2014, 06:41 PM
The only differance was Harris getting hurt. He is a huge weapon in the secondary.

Was... was a huge weapon in the secondary.

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 07:05 PM

I was talking about the difference between the first 3 quarters of Sunday's game compared to the D we played the rest of the season. After Harris went down, we actually went back to playing the same D we played all season. Before he went down, we got rid of that garbage soft zone that we always play.

BroncoWave
01-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Was... was a huge weapon in the secondary.

Luckily we still have 2 very good CBs and NE only has 2 receiving threats who can hurt us. We'll be fine.

NightTerror218
01-14-2014, 07:48 PM

I was talking about the difference between the first 3 quarters of Sunday's game compared to the D we played the rest of the season. After Harris went down, we actually went back to playing the same D we played all season. Before he went down, we got rid of that garbage soft zone that we always play.

Why the soft zone crap? I don't get it.

Joel
01-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Why the soft zone crap? I don't get it.
In Sundays case, it's called Prevent. Unfortunately, we repeatedly broke its first rule: Don't give up passes deep OR near the sideline, let alone BOTH. We REALLY suck at Prevent; ask the 2012 Ravens how much. :( It's virtually the most basic part of defense, yet NEITHER of our defensive masterminds—not even the former DB in charge—seem to grasp it. I'm frankly amazed. :confused:

DenBronx
01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
I think we do better in man coverage.

DenBronx
01-14-2014, 08:04 PM

Not sure why we did that but the defense sucked after Harris got hurt. Maybe Del Rio didnt trust the scheme once Harris got hurt? Either way....they need to play defense like they did the first 3 Qs against SD...regardless of who takes Harris spot.

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Not sure why we did that but the defense sucked after Harris got hurt. Maybe Del Rio didnt trust the scheme once Harris got hurt? Either way....they need to play defense like they did the first 3 Qs against SD...regardless of who takes Harris spot.

I agree. I've been lobbying for it all season. We'll see what happens this week.

tripp
01-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Chargers tried to run the ball on us, and we had stuffed them the majority of the time. Didn't really seem like they had any real sense of urgency till the 4th. We showed them a way more aggressive approach 3rd time around as opposed to the 2nd time around. Bottom line was, the Broncos executed on 3rd downs and converted! I don't think we ever gave them good field position outside of the fumble by Orange Julius. We could not convert a 3rd down to save our life against them the last time we played them!

BroncoJoe
01-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Chargers tried to run the ball on us, and we had stuffed them the majority of the time. Didn't really seem like they had any real sense of urgency till the 4th. We showed them a way more aggressive approach 3rd time around as opposed to the 2nd time around. Bottom line was, the Broncos executed on 3rd downs and converted! I don't think we ever gave them good field position outside of the fumble by Orange Julius. We could not convert a 3rd down to save our life against them the last time we played them!

We did not punt the entire game.

Jsteve01
01-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Don't know what your problem is. Bob Slowick endorses the soft zone.

MileHighCrew
01-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Did anyone really expect a shutout? Then there was a onside kick recovered and that is a short field. Ya Jammer was weak but the D did play great for 3/4 of that games which seems to be lost.

Tned
01-15-2014, 08:32 AM

Personally, I think there are a number of factors. I think the last few games the defense has been showing signs of improvement. I think two big factors are the emergence of Malik Jackson and Sylvester Williams. Williams played nearly as many snaps as Knighton, and while he didn't do much in the stats category, he's helping plug up the middle. Jackson is turning into a real force on the outside.

In general, the front seven with Jackson, Phillips, Irving and Lennon (Woodyard is still playing, just not as much) is playing better than our front seven did through most of the year.

The result of the good play of the front seven is shutting down the run, while still getting pressure on QBs in passing plays. This means teams are finding themselves in more 2nd and long and 3rd and long, which both helps the pass rush and greatly helps the secondary.

Here's a stat that shows the dominance of the front seven in the last three games.

The last meeting with SD in week 15, San Diego had 11 rushing first downs. Since then, the Broncos have allowed a total of 7 rushing first downs in the last three games. Houston had 5 rushing first downs, Oakland one, and San Diego had only one rushing first down and that was a fluke when half the defense and 90% of the stadium thought Matthews was tackled at the line of scrimmage and seconds later he bounces around the left side for a game of 16 or so.

When your front seven so completely shuts down the running game, that forces teams to be one dimensional and when they are one dimensional (passing), it helps the pass rush and secondary greatly.

CoachChaz
01-15-2014, 08:35 AM
I didnt expect much...but Mincey has been playing well.