PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Browns still have interest in hiring Broncos' Adam Gase

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
The Cleveland Browns still want a chance to hire the guy who just made the call that converted a third-and-17 play.

"Great play call by Adam," said Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning. "Really was a great play call."

Can the Browns afford to wait one to three more weeks for Adam Gase? Apparently, the Browns are willing. According to two NFL sources, the Browns are waiting on the first-year Denver offensive coordinator to become available for an interview before they hire a head coach. The Cleveland Plain Dealer also reported Monday that Gase could be the Browns' top target.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24905639/cleveland-browns-still-have-interest-hiring-broncos-adam

Ziggy
01-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Gase may have fallen into the perfect offensive coordinator job, but he's done nothing to diminish his value. I'll be rooting for him wherever he goes. Then again, he may take the McDaniels route and turn down a chance to become a head coach this season for another year of experience as an OC.

silkamilkamonico
01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Would hate for him to go to Cleveland and be fired after 1 season if he cannot turn it around. What a joke of an ownership group over there.

claymore
01-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Gase would be dumb to go. If he waits another year or two under Manning he can go anywhere he wants. Clevland is a career killer.

Slick
01-14-2014, 01:03 PM
I wish Cleveland wasn't so patient. I was hoping they would have already hired someone and leave our guy alone. If for some reason Peyton isn't here next year, I want Gase working with our new QB1.

MOtorboat
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Gase would be dumb to go. If he waits another year or two under Manning he can go anywhere he wants. Clevland is a career killer.

I disagree.

In two years, he'll be able to go to whatever bottom feeder team has a coach opening that year. The only thing that allows a coach to really go into a good situation is a retirement.

Broncolingus
01-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Browns...:tsk:

claymore
01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
I disagree.

In two years, he'll be able to go to whatever bottom feeder team has a coach opening that year. The only thing that allows a coach to really go into a good situation is a retirement.

Well first there has to be a job opening. Which is usually a firing. How many coaches retire when the team is good? I can only think of Cowher. Maybe Dungy with the Colts, but the team was garbage outside of Manning. So, I will rephrase and say he will have his pick among NFL HC openings.

Ravage!!!
01-14-2014, 04:20 PM

Schottenheimer and Belicheck wave hi :wave:

claymore
01-14-2014, 04:23 PM

I didnt think the Browns were good when Belicheck was fired.

claymore
01-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Im a dumbass, I thought you were replying to my other post...!!!

MOtorboat
01-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Probably should be noted that that was prior to the team moving to Baltimore and pre-expansion Browns.

Ravage!!!
01-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Probably should be noted that that was prior to the team moving to Baltimore and pre-expansion Browns.

Well.. don't get me wrong. I don't think the Browns are a good organization, and I think they have a TERRIBLE FO. I think they are probably the worst NFL franchise in the NFL, and I personally find them a joke.

What clay said is actually something I agree with. Going to Cleveland as your first HC job is a DISASTER. Right up there with going to the Raiders. But GOOD teams aren't lookign for new HCs (unless you are the SD Chargers after firing the coach that took you to 14-2 and AFC Championship game). Could Gase get hired later on down the road as an HC somewhere else later? Most probably. But would his value go UP after staying in Denver longer? No. How does it get higher when the only people looking to hire you are the owners of bad teams to begin with? He might end up in a position of only getting a team like the Raiders offering him a job if he waits.

The only job I would want as a new HC would be the Lions. A good QB, stud RB, a very good DL, and good RBs. But that's rare to have for a job opening. The fact that he's a good OC will give him opportunities to continue coaching if/when he fails at his first HC job. But, there aren't a lot of good places to 'cut your teeth' at HC. Might as well cut them with the team that is at the very bottom of the NFL, so that from that point forward, every other job is a move UP!