PDA

View Full Version : LOL - Peyton Manning Loves Omaha . . .

topscribe
01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap2000000312677/Peyton-loves-Omaha

Simple Jaded
01-12-2014, 11:24 PM
What's not to like about Bugaha?

DenBronx
01-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Hurry hurry!

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
01-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Which begs the question, why hasn't Omaha Steaks snapped him up as their official spokesperson yet?

The AFC Championship GDT needs to be called ALERT! OMAHA! by the way.

Army Bronco
01-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Which begs the question, why hasn't Omaha Steaks snapped him up as their official spokesperson yet?

The AFC Championship GDT needs to be called ALERT! OMAHA! by the way. SD just jumped offsides after you typed OMAHA!

Timmy!
01-13-2014, 04:11 AM
6 offsides. Straight up owned. We ride hurry hurry!

TXBRONC
01-13-2014, 07:24 AM
SD just jumped offsides after you typed OMAHA!

They were in the neutral zone at the sound of "O".

Joel
01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
I've noticed all season he uses Omaha A LOT; I kinda wonder what it means, if it's some kind of "every call after/before this one is/was just a decoy" or what. "Omaha" and "Hurry, Hurry" are easily the two most common words out of Mannings mouth on Sundays. Hopefully it's not something critical, as much as he uses it, because if NFL.com noticed the same thing I noticed in September, you can bet Belicheat did, too.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2014, 12:25 PM
from article:

Our friend Lance Zierlein, who is a host for Sports Talk 790 in Houston and comes from a football coaching/scouting background, shared an explanation for what he believes “Omaha” meant:

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein
Follow

Manning’s “Omaha” call appears to be an “O”ffsides message to his oline where he is changing count to 2 w/ hard count on 1.

To further break that down, Manning/Denver picked a word that starts with an “O” as their code word for when they’re trying to draw the other team offsides. That would let his team know not to jump on the first “hut” he says.

rest - http://larrybrownsports.com/football/peyton-manning-omaha-call-snap-count-direction/216591

I have no idea if this is correct, but it is one explanation for "Omaha"

topscribe
01-13-2014, 12:46 PM
from article:

rest - http://larrybrownsports.com/football/peyton-manning-omaha-call-snap-count-direction/216591

I have no idea if this is correct, but it is one explanation for "Omaha"
Well, if that's the case, then the secret's out.

Maybe he can change it now to "San Diego!" lol

Bosco
01-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Since Omaha is my hometown, I love this. Great city, by the way.

I've noticed all season he uses Omaha A LOT; I kinda wonder what it means, if it's some kind of "every call after/before this one is/was just a decoy" or what. "Omaha" and "Hurry, Hurry" are easily the two most common words out of Mannings mouth on Sundays. Hopefully it's not something critical, as much as he uses it, because if NFL.com noticed the same thing I noticed in September, you can bet Belicheat did, too.

The Patriots used to use "Omaha" coming out of the huddle. It was used when the play clock was running down and was an instruction for players to cancel any shifts or motions and line up in the finished formation. Not the same way Peyton uses it, obviously, but fun fact none the less.

Joel
01-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Well, if that's the case, then the secret's out.

Maybe he can change it now to "San Diego!" lol
Yeah,nice of them to give that away going into the AFCCG; good thing we aren't facing a meticulous coaching guru who seizes and exploits even the most seemingly insignificant obscure details.

Since Omaha is my hometown, I love this. Great city, by the way.

The Patriots used to use "Omaha" coming out of the huddle. It was used when the play clock was running down and was an instruction for players to cancel any shifts or motions and line up in the finished formation. Not the same way Peyton uses it, obviously, but fun fact none the less.
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I had in mind. Manning uses a LOT of signal calls, which I still think makes road games against roaring crowds even tougher for him than for most guys. It's not just having lots of different plays to audible to, but calls that slightly shift one play to a subtle variation of it, or take off the audible and revert to the original play, or signal bluffs/decoys, etc. etc.

I pity rookies and WRs trying to deal with all that, because it must be mind-numbing to keep track of it all. It's not as simple as just knowing what each call means and which are junk; they also have to pay attention to what calls affect (even negate) those before/afterward and when to revert to the original play (wtf THAT was; who remembers after a dozen new calls?)

Then you have to change them all around every month or two so some genius sports columnist doesn't blab it to the whole league. :tongue:

BroncoNut
01-13-2014, 04:51 PM
there's a movie out called Nebraska. I want to see it. Bosco, I think I'd like Omaha. seems like a nice city. away from a lot, big, but not too big, etc.

DenBronx
01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
You guys still dont get it.

Manning changes alot of his vocabulary, snap counts and signals almost every week. Even Tony Dungy said that.

All Omaha is ....is a snap count. He calls the actual play before that.

Joel
01-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Manning changes alot of his vocabulary, snap counts and signals almost every week. Even Tony Dungy said that.

Quite likely, since he's used it all year. Like I say, I pity young guys and/or those playing on the edges trying to keep all that straight AND keep track of each weeks changes AND hear each call on the field, especially on the road. If he calls three different plays where a receiver or pulling guard goes three different directions and ANY of them don't hear the real one—OOPS! :( There are probably plenty of decoys in there on most plays, too, but I doubt it's as simple as "just ignore everything he says until the play clock's down to 5" because he may go back to an earlier call.

It ain't just sandlot football when Manning's your QB; it's more like trying to fill out your tax return behind the wheel in rush hour traffic.

BroncoNut
01-13-2014, 05:19 PM

yeah, we just dont' get it. not like you. show us wise one.

:middlefinger:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2014, 05:39 PM
from article:

For the city of Omaha, the value of Manning's shoutouts is impossible to calculate, Parrott said.

Parrott noted, however, that air time for a 30-second Super Bowl ad is $4 million this year. If Manning leads the Broncos to the Super Bowl and yells "Omaha" as many times as he did Sunday, well, that's lots of free exposure for this old cow town.

"Commercials cost money to make, and you have to come up with the idea and hire a production company to make it. It could cost $4 million just for the production, and we get it for free," Parrott said. "Everybody in Omaha really needs to root for Peyton to take down Tom Brady and the Patriots so we can hear 'Omaha' in the Super Bowl."

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10287554/2013-nfl-playoffs-city-omaha-thanks-peyton-manning-denver-broncos-pre-snap-shouts

Bosco
01-16-2014, 04:21 PM
there's a movie out called Nebraska. I want to see it. Bosco, I think I'd like Omaha. seems like a nice city. away from a lot, big, but not too big, etc.

Alexander Payne movie. Haven't seen it, but saw that it got nominated for a bunch of awards. Another good Payne movie is Election (Reese Witherspoon, Matthew Broderick, Chris Kline) that was shot in Omaha in 1999. Even had a scene filmed at Power Park, where I played my first year of midget football.

Omaha is a great city. Lots to do, very low cost of living, great people. I'd highly recommend it. I left in 2002 and it's improved by leaps and bounds since then. I'll probably go back soon, career path permitting.

BroncoNut
01-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Alexander Payne movie. Haven't seen it, but saw that it got nominated for a bunch of awards. Another good Payne movie is Election (Reese Witherspoon, Matthew Broderick, Chris Kline) that was shot in Omaha in 1999. Even had a scene filmed at Power Park, where I played my first year of midget football.

Omaha is a great city. Lots to do, very low cost of living, great people. I'd highly recommend it. I left in 2002 and it's improved by leaps and bounds since then. I'll probably go back soon, career path permitting.

I'm a Midwesterner myself (Iowa). Election was a good movie. my dad grew up in Onawa Iowa, not too far from Omaha (I guess). council bluffs is pretty much right over the river from Omaha if I have my facts straight. my nephew went to Creighton for his freshman year but didnt' like Nebraska, but he's a chicago**** so no surprise there. good folk come from that area of the country that strectch from orange city into the missori valley regional bedpan.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Businesses are in a "Hurry, hurry" to make money off Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning's pre-snap signal calls.

With the AFC Championship game days away, retailers are pushing products emblazoned with words that no one outside the team understand, but fans love to repeat.

"We are to-the-core Broncos fans who wanted to do something fun with (Manning's) calls, which have become part of the vernacular in Colorado," said Nick Baumgart, owner of Smirk, a digital design company in Littleton.

Smirk-designed shirts screenprinted with "Hurry Hurry" and "Omaha" are in such high demand for Sunday's game against New England that Baumgart has is struggling to keep up with orders.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24928975/peyton-mannings-pre-snap-signal-calls-great-business

Bosco
01-17-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm a Midwesterner myself (Iowa). Election was a good movie. my dad grew up in Onawa Iowa, not too far from Omaha (I guess). council bluffs is pretty much right over the river from Omaha if I have my facts straight. my nephew went to Creighton for his freshman year but didnt' like Nebraska, but he's a chicago**** so no surprise there. good folk come from that area of the country that strectch from orange city into the missori valley regional bedpan.

Yes, Council Bluffs is right across the river from Omaha. They are the same metro and CB is essentially a suburb of Omaha. I lived in Omaha from 86-96 and then in the Bluffs from 96-02. Council Bluffs is also a cool place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_l3Tzt0OVA&list=UU-x1C0jwbApxwJJB6HF_fMQ&feature=c4-overview

:cool:

slim
01-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Isn't Omaha in Nebraska?

I bet MO knows.

Bosco
01-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Isn't Omaha in Nebraska?

I bet MO knows.

Geographically, yes.