PDA

View Full Version : Denver wins SB if they beat New England

7DnBrnc53
01-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm calling it now.

If the Broncos get by the Pats, they are taking the whole thing. Here's why:

After what happened last year, and with Manning's playoff record factored in, tonight's win was huge mentally.

Now, they have another mega-ton mental hurdle to overcome in the Patriots, who are in their third straight AFC Title Game on mystique, a division with Special-Ed teams, and playing either bad QB's (Tebow, Schaub) or a young QB that had three picks (Luck).

Also, there is the Brady legacy that hangs over Manning like a death shroud. That win in the 2006 AFC Title game didn't get rid of it.

You have to remember, this isn't like Elway's situation in 1997. He got to the SB in his sleep in the late-80's, but he had a nightmare in the big one.

For Manning, this is about winning playoff games, and overcoming his nemeses. He gets to the Super Bowl, and it may seem like child's play compared to what he had to go through.

Also, he will be facing either a team that has players with no SB experience (Seahawks) or a team that doesn't have history on it's side (49ers: Teams that go back to the SB after losing the year before are 2-5).

aberdien
01-12-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm calling that if we lose against NE we don't win the SB.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Word. . .

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
01-12-2014, 09:24 PM
One game at a time. I think it's silly to overlook either Seattle or San Fran though. Imo, they both pose a tougher challenge then New England.

Ziggy
01-12-2014, 09:24 PM
The Broncos are going to play the Niners in the super bowl. The Niners will start a run of 5 straight super bowls, all losses. Buffalo Bills fans will celebrate when the Bills beat the Niners in that 5th loss for San Fran.

An earthquake will then take California off the map, at which time the Bills move to Nevada and become the newest west coast team.

I'm calling it now.

Nomad
01-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Nailbiter/heart palpitating game next weekend for the BRONCOS...BRONCOS win 37-34 in OT against the Pats.

In the SB....BRONCOS beat Seahawks in another nailbiter........30-27.

DenBronx
01-12-2014, 09:36 PM
If we win against NE then I think we beat either SF or Seattle hands down. NE is a tougher challenge, even at home.

FanInAZ
01-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Both the Seahawks & 49ers are well rounded teams. In fact, I believe that we'd be underdogs no matter which we play.

Nomad
01-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Both the Seahawks & 49ers are well rounded teams. In fact, I believe that we'd be underdogs no matter which we play.

Is Denver underdogs in the Patriots game?

tomjonesrocks
01-12-2014, 09:49 PM

Sounds like the opening line is Broncos -6, based on what NBC is reporting.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/12/patriots-playoff-underdogs-for-first-time-since-2006-afc-title-game/

Which I can't believe honestly. The Pats beat Denver and just destroyed another opponent that beat Denver.

To favor Denver IMO is a head scratcher. That line is going to move I am sure.

DenBronx
01-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Yeah I think those odds will change as the week goes on. But who cares if we are the underdogs anyway. We just need to handle NE and move on. Mannings not getting any younger. He said it himself, "the lights at the end of the tunnel." I think he wants to go out on top and he may never get another chance like this.

SD was no slouch of a football team though. I think SD could have even beat NE so don't let the final score decieve you guys.

I just hope it isn't as windy this time and hopefully Harris Jr is going to be healthy for this game. Jammer was nightmarish in coverage and Brady would have a field day with him.

Dzone
01-12-2014, 10:13 PM
I just heard Denver favored by 6 over NE, but cant confirm yet...maybe someone else knows for sure
Confirmed Broncos favored by 6.5 over the patriots
http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/2014-01-12/nfl-conference-championship-spreads-lines-odds-patriots-broncos-49ers-seahawks

Ziggy
01-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Sounds like the opening line is Broncos -6, based on what NBC is reporting.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/12/patriots-playoff-underdogs-for-first-time-since-2006-afc-title-game/

Which I can't believe honestly. The Pats beat Denver and just destroyed another opponent that beat Denver.

To favor Denver IMO is a head scratcher. That line is going to move I am sure.

Denver lost IN New England by a grand total of 3 points in OT after turning the ball over 4 times. Why would you confused as to why Denver is favored in Denver this time?

VonDoom
01-12-2014, 10:23 PM
One game at a time. I think it's silly to overlook either Seattle or San Fran though. Imo, they both pose a tougher challenge then New England.

Agreed. I can't think ahead yet, but to me, the Patriots are quite beatable. Those NFC teams would both be extremely difficult to play, but I certainly hope we have the opportunity to find out how it would play out.

VonDoom
01-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I just heard Denver favored by 6 over NE, but cant confirm yet...maybe someone else knows for sure
Confirmed Broncos favored by 6.5 over the patriots
http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/2014-01-12/nfl-conference-championship-spreads-lines-odds-patriots-broncos-49ers-seahawks

That does seem like a high spread. I think the Seahawks are only -3.5 in their game, and they crushed SF at home earlier this year. I'm not surprised we're favored, I just didn't think it'd be by so much.

PatriotsGuy
01-12-2014, 10:25 PM
I think Denver should be favored by 8 at least

tomjonesrocks
01-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Denver lost IN New England by a grand total of 3 points in OT after turning the ball over 4 times. Why would you confused as to why Denver is favored in Denver this time?

Because I think there will be too many bettors taking the Pats and the points with that spread.

I think the majority of people in general will see Denver as the underdog in this game.

DenBronx
01-12-2014, 10:34 PM

I would rather us be the underdogs and play with a chip on our shoulder.

aberdien
01-12-2014, 10:37 PM
The fact that Tom owns Peyton head to head will probably make a lot of people choose the Pats to win.

That is okay with me.

Nomad
01-12-2014, 10:39 PM
i was just curious...BRONCOS win either way.

MOtorboat
01-12-2014, 10:56 PM

Don't you even dare.

BroncoWave
01-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Don't you even dare.

It's ok MO. I proved today that jinxes don't exist!

Nomad
01-12-2014, 11:03 PM
It's ok MO. I proved today that jinxes don't exist!

For some reason this made me think of the South Park episode of the Make Believe characters of good and evil:lol:...don't remember the actual title.

BroncoWave
01-12-2014, 11:24 PM
For some reason this made me think of the South Park episode of the Make Believe characters of good and evil:lol:...don't remember the actual title.

Imaginationland?

Ziggy
01-13-2014, 02:05 AM
The fact that Tom owns Peyton head to head will probably make a lot of people choose the Pats to win.

That is okay with me.

In the games that count, playoff games, Tom is up 2-1. That means that he owns him? Brady had far superior teams around him.

bcbronc
01-13-2014, 02:40 AM
In the games that count, playoff games, Tom is up 2-1. That means that he owns him? Brady had far superior teams around him.

Did he though? Indy always had a ton of talent on the offensive side of the ball, a great OL and some of the best pass rushers in the league on defence. Pre Moss and Welker, the best WR Brady threw to was Deion Branch and the best TE was Ben Watson, solid but nothing special. Certainly not comparable to Harrison, Wayne and Dallas Clark. Manning also had the better RBs with Faulk, Edge, Addai compared to the guys NE had. Even bigger name guys like Rudi Johnson were at the tail end of their career and picked up as cast-offs.

On defence, NE overall had more talent, but Indy didn't have scrubs. Freeney, Mathis, Bob Sanders, Gary Bracket etc. You don't win 12+ games year after year without having talent throughout the roster. IMO this narrative of Indy having weak rosters other than Peyton is all because of how poor they did when Peyton missed the year, but the issue there is they didn't replace Manning with a legitimate NFL QB. When Brady missed a season, Cassel's is and was at least a legitimate NFL QB, obviously not a great one, but at least he belongs in the league unlike the guys Indy had behind Peyton.

Coaching, well okay. Bellicheck is obviously the best coach of his era and one of the all time greats. However, Peyton always had the advantage of consistency in his OC, unlike Brady who seemed to lose his OC every year or two. I dunno, I think you switch the QBs, Brady probably still wins those games over Peyton.

Next week we'll see. No arguing talent levels on offence, we're much more talented. Can't even compare really, other than OL and RB. Defence, both teams are so injured, we're probably pretty close on the DL, our LBs are pretty weak but theirs are all injured, they're better at Safety, we're better at CB. On paper, there's no way we should lose this game, it shouldn't even be close imo. Only way it's close imo is if Peyton let's it stay that way.

This game, maybe even more so than the Superbowl if we make it, will be a huge statement game for Manning's legacy. If Brady comes into Denver with a cast of rookies, injury replacements and #2 WRs and beats Manning and the greatest regular season offence of all time, the post-season question marks around Manning will become definitive statements. And if Brady comes through with a win here, I'd have to say it cements him as GOAT.

As for the Superbowl, never bet against a great QB or coach, but I'd give the edge to either NFC team over either AFC team, especially with ho depleted both AFC teams are due to injury.

Ziggy
01-13-2014, 03:12 AM
Brady won in the playoffs in 2003 and 2004. Both of those teams went on to win the super bowl. In 2003 the Patriots had the best defense in the NFL, given up a league low 14.9 points/game. In 2004 they had the 2nd rated scoring defense in the NFL, giving up 16.3 points per game. The Pats were 14-2 both of those seasons. They didn't have as good of an offense as the Colts, but they had a far better team overall. The overall talent level wasn't even close, especially on the offensive and defensive lines. Those are the two times Manning lost to Brady in the playoffs. When Manning had a team that was even close in talent, he beat Brady and went on to win the super bowl.

aberdien
01-13-2014, 03:28 AM

Brady's offense, other than the Randy Moss year, was always weaker than Peyton's. Peyton's always had better offensive weapons. Brady has always had a great coach and a solid defense. But i'm talking about the media narrative, that Brady is seemingly more clutch than Peyton due to their respective records both in the playoffs and against eachother. So yes, when you compare Brady's 3 SB rings and superior playoff record and superior head to head record (including playoffs), Brady does own Manning in terms of simply winning in the playoffs. That's why I think so many media members will pick Brady.

And I would rather be the underdog so that is fine with me. If we play like the first half of the earlier game this season against them, we'll be good. And I like our chances having lost to them in the regular season more than if we had beat them in the regular season.

Timmy!
01-13-2014, 04:42 AM

You are high. Id say Denver -3 (2 for home field)

Timmy!
01-13-2014, 04:45 AM
Fact: Tom Brady has never won on Peytons turf in the Playoffs.

Fact: Tom Brady has never won, but has lost, a playoff game in Denver.

We ride.

capt. Jack
01-13-2014, 05:46 AM
I would be the Happy Capt'n!!

Let's Beat the Patsies!

zbeg
01-13-2014, 06:05 AM
Because I think there will be too many bettors taking the Pats and the points with that spread.

I think the majority of people in general will see Denver as the underdog in this game.

Bob Scucci, sports director for Nevada's Boyd Gaming, does a weekly podcast with Chad Millman on ESPN (it's called Behind the Bets if you're interested). He talks about where the money's coming from, why he set the line the way he did, and what he expects to happen. Since both Denver and New England have been "public" teams all year, this is a really interesting situation.

I think Denver -6.5 is a really interesting line, though as I look at some of the offshore sites, that line moved quickly to Denver -5.