PDA

View Full Version : Same as it ever was for Orton Glove on injured hand not affecting QB's spiral or zip

Lonestar
09-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Same as it ever was for Orton
Glove on injured hand not affecting QB's spiral or zip.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/12/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos QB Kyle Orton still sports the one-glove look, and he doesn't mind it. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )Spirals come off the glove as if the glove wasn't needed.

Other quarterbacks may put more zip on their passes, but for what he has, Kyle Orton doesn't appear to have lost one mph.

Orton has taken virtually all the snaps with the Broncos' first-team offense this week since he returned to practice Tuesday with the right index finger injury he suffered in a preseason game Aug. 30.

Speaking of those snaps, center Casey Wiegmann has not altered his consistently firm deliveries to accommodate his quarterback's mangled finger.

"I've been playing center since fourth grade, so I wouldn't know how to change," Wiegmann said. "There's been no problems. It shows that he wants to play. There's a lot of people that want to sit out and take their time and get back."

Barring any complications between now and kickoff, Orton will be the Broncos' starting quarterback Sunday in the season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium.

"We'll see Sunday," Orton said. "But no, there hasn't been any problems."

Which is no small surprise considering a national television audience saw Orton wave his bloody finger toward the Broncos' sideline only 12 days ago during a preseason game against the Chicago Bears. While making a throw late in the first half, Orton's digit was contorted, dislocated and slashed by the left paw of onrushing defensive end Adewale Ogunleye.

The index finger is arguably the most important to a quarterback because it's the last one to leave the ball, the finger that spins the spiral, the finger that most controls accuracy.

"It's something where the quarterback would be in danger of not playing because of that injury," said Broncos tight end Daniel Graham. "But the ball he's throwing is still the same. There's been no difference."

Orton admits the finger still hurts. It throbs. But pain isn't the issue. The real problem is the stitches needed to close the wound. The bandage protects the stitches and the glove protects the bandage. Orton said those high-tech passing gloves almost create too much suction for his liking, but no NFL player can perform on Sunday without making some kind of adjustment or physical sacrifice.

It may behoove Orton to let a long pass rip, just in case the Bengals stack the box with eight defenders. Even when his finger isn't sutured, Orton hasn't been considered much of a deep thrower.

His strengths have been managing the game, leading the huddle, overcoming adversity, and winning games. He has a career 21-12 record as a starter.

"He's got a lot of respect from us, and a lot of credit for being able to play with that type of injury," said Broncos receiver Eddie Royal. "It's a tough injury for a quarterback, but he's a tough guy. You want a quarterback like that."

Backup quarterback Chris Simms also is recovered enough from his left ankle sprain to play Sunday. And given the delicate nature of Orton's finger, no one should be surprised if Simms gets his first meaningful snaps in three years.

But all preparations for the Bengals have started with Orton at quarterback, as has been the case since the final days of summer minicamp.

"Not much is going to affect him, and that's good to have in your quarterback," said Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley. "You're going to have some plays that don't go right, and some quarterbacks get down and take the whole offense with him. He's not one of those guys."
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13320353?source=rss

LRtagger
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Obligatory "He can only throw 7-yards anyways" post

Wanted to go ahead and get that in before anyone else did.

Simple Jaded
09-12-2009, 06:03 PM

He's 1000-12 as a starting QB.......Wanted to go ahead and get that in before anyone else did.......

LRtagger
09-12-2009, 06:36 PM
He's 1000-12 as a starting QB.......Wanted to go ahead and get that in before anyone else did.......

Actually, he is 21-12.

dogfish
09-12-2009, 06:39 PM

clearly you're new at this-- you were supposed to say "what zip?"

lol. . . . get it right next time, tagger. . . .

LRtagger
09-12-2009, 06:41 PM
clearly you're new at this-- you were supposed to say "what zip?"

lol. . . . get it right next time, tagger. . . .

You're right...I also forgot to ask if he was wearing a glove on his left hand for when he mixes it up by going lefty.

NameUsedBefore
09-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Actually I think the quip you are looking for is how will this affect his grip on a clipboard.

Watchthemiddle
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Zip don't mean nothing if can't win.

Proficiency wins.

Just wanted to get that in.

MOtorboat
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Ah, hee, hee...the way you make me feelllll....

TXBRONC
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
You're right...I also forgot to ask if he was wearing a glove on his left hand for when he mixes it up by going lefty.

Last picture I saw he was only where a glove on his right hand. ;)

Elevation inc
09-13-2009, 02:34 AM
dont worry if the glove does start to bother him he will just throw with his left hand.............

Ravage!!!
09-13-2009, 09:43 AM
well.. I'm not sure that the glove isn't "affecting" his velocity is a good thing. I was hoping for an increase! :lol: (joking...jeez)

LRtagger
09-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Guys, you need to give Orton a break.

If he is really as bad as some of you make him out to be, he would already be cut.

He's seems to have that it factor, I just can't seem to put my finger on it.

Ravage!!!
09-13-2009, 10:50 AM

If he is really as bad as some of you make him out to be, he would already be cut.

Hmmm.. I don't know if I agree with you. I think McDaniels has WAYYYYY too much invested in Orton to cut him. So starting him is an absolute considering this offseason debacle.

I think I have the "it" figured out that you are looking for, but I don't think you want me to say 'it' :beer:

EMB6903
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM

Ive definately been giving Orton a hard time because I just dont see the talent... I do hope you are right about the "It Factor" im praying he proves me wrong today and the rest of the season.

GO BRONCOS!

LRtagger
09-13-2009, 11:11 AM
wow you guys missed that one.

BroncoAV06
09-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Ive definately been giving Orton a hard time because I just dont see the talent... I do hope you are right about the "It Factor" im praying he proves me wrong today and the rest of the season.

GO BRONCOS!

Right with you ther man. I heard thios morning that the finger will "hamper" Ortons ability to go deep and I just chuckled aliittle. 5 yard slants/outs/option routes FTW!

rcsodak
09-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Zip don't mean nothing if can't win.

Proficiency wins.

Just wanted to get that in.

I think I saw Cutler just ZIP 3 passes into the defenders' hands, IN THE FIRST HALF tonight.

I bet those guys will have to wear gloves of their own, just because he threw so hard! :coffee:

rcsodak
09-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Hmmm.. I don't know if I agree with you. I think McDaniels has WAYYYYY too much invested in Orton to cut him. So starting him is an absolute considering this offseason debacle.

I think I have the "it" figured out that you are looking for, but I don't think you want me to say 'it' :beer:

LMAO!!!

I just love that winding road of "it", and who does/doesn't have "it"....:coffee:

rcsodak
09-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Right with you ther man. I heard thios morning that the finger will "hamper" Ortons ability to go deep and I just chuckled aliittle. 5 yard slants/outs/option routes FTW!

I witnessed some long and ACCURATE passes....

...so maybe certain people should pipe down about his abilities, or their perception, or lack, thereof.

dogfish
09-14-2009, 12:02 AM

so, did you enjoy watching that new orleans game?

:elefant:

Simple Jaded
09-14-2009, 12:52 AM

...so maybe certain people should pipe down about his abilities, or their perception, or lack, thereof.

You saw ONE accurate long pass, the knock on Orton's deep passes is legitimate, hell, we didn't witness many SHORT and ACCURATE passes today.

Besides, the knock on Kyle Orton's arm strength isn't just being unable to throw accurately deep, it's being able to fit tight windows and hit the deep outs/seems.

Maybe I'll pipe down when all this is no longer completely obvious.......