PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning's playoff performance gets picked off by perception

Denver Native (Carol)
01-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Don't tell Buick this, but Peyton Manning once earned a Cadillac for being selected Super Bowl MVP.

This might surprise the blanket-stating NFL analysts, but Manning has performed well enough in the postseason to play in two Super Bowls. It's not like Manning, the Broncos quarterback who just set all of the league's significant regular-season passing records, is adverse to playing well just because it's the postseason.

Yet, this is the kind of sweeping perception aroused when arguably the NFL's biggest star of the past 16 years has a 9-11 playoff record.

"I think football has so many layers to it that we want to direct a narrative to focus it simplistically and say he's 9-11 and Tom Brady is (17-7), so he's not as good as Tom Brady," said ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer, whose otherwise pedestrian NFL quarterback career was validated by a Super Bowl title with Baltimore in 2000. "That's the water-cooler talk that people want to make."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24893456/peyton-mannings-playoff-performance-gets-picked-off-by

Denver Native (Carol)
01-12-2014, 02:36 PM
from same article:

Only one player was charged with a loss from that game. And it wasn't anyone playing up front.

"I can tell you from studying Peyton over his entire career that he's played really well in some playoff games they've lost," Dilfer said. "He's played not so great in games they've lost, but it's not the playoffs that makes him play bad. He's had dropped balls. They haven't been able to run the ball as well. Protection has been an issue. There are reasons for some of his performances that aren't so hot."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24893456/peyton-mannings-playoff-performance-gets-picked-off-by

Northman
01-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Except Dilfer was a very pedestrian QB.

As to Manning, its a team sport but since he really is the crutch of this football team it does stand on his shoulders whether he likes it or not. I was surprised he came here with the amount of youth and inexperience we had but since he did its going to be up to him lead. And it will be IMPERATIVE that he play at his absolute highest level if we are going to win a Championship this year. No way around it.