PDA

View Full Version : Malik Jackson playing key role on Denver Broncos' defensive line

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Malik Jackson handled the question without hesitation. His answer might help calm the nerves of fidgety Broncos fans wondering whether it could happen again.

Jackson, a Denver defensive end, immediately knew the reason for the question when he was asked if the defense has been worked on stopping the Hail Mary pass. He didn't need any reminders of Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco's 70-yard touchdown pass to Jacoby Jones against blown coverage that allowed the Ravens to tie the score at 35 with 31 seconds left in the fourth quarter a year ago. The Ravens won 38-35 in double overtime in the divisional-round playoff game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

"We've worked on that all year in practice," Jackson said of defending the Hail Mary pass. "We worked on it last year. They just made a play. It makes you upset when they do that, when you've practiced stopping it."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24889879/malik-jackson-playing-key-role-denver-broncos-defensive

Ziggy
01-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Malik has been a nice surprise this season. He should be starting in Robert Ayers spot next season when Ayers moves on in free agency. Fantastic 5th round pick by Elway.

Dapper Dan
01-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Malik shows what you could get in a gamble. I guess if you spend a late pick it's not much of a gamble. Tennessee went through so many changes that Jackson's talent really couldn't shine through. I think it is now though. Of course, I like both Ayers and Jackson. Hopefully Ayers doesn't want too much.

Joel
01-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Malik shows what you could get in a gamble. I guess if you spend a late pick it's not much of a gamble. Tennessee went through so many changes that Jackson's talent really couldn't shine through. I think it is now though. Of course, I like both Ayers and Jackson. Hopefully Ayers doesn't want too much.
Depending how Wolfes future goes (and how long we keep Phillips) I definitely wouldn't mind Ayers staying. Unfortunately, I can't help recalling Del Rio demoted him at the start of last season because (basically) he thought Ayers was loafing his way through camp, and he's been a rotational backup ever since. Not the sort of thing that encourages guys to re-sign longterm deals.

I hope Jackson's up to the challenge, and he's certainly had a promising season (granted it was vs. Jax, but there was one series early this year where he almost singlehandedly forced a three and out with a sack, TFL and a second sack.) It's frustrating we're facing a pair of teams who love running and our run D was ranked in the top ten all year (our only defensive bright spot) but injuries to Vickerson, Wolfe and Miller threaten to remove our sole defensive strength when we need it most. Jackson or SOMEONE must step up today and for the rest of the season.