PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos X-factor Going Into the Playoffs.

Ziggy
01-11-2014, 02:18 AM
We all knew that the Broncos would have to be able to run the ball to win in the playoffs. So did the Broncos coaches. What I haven't heard anyone talking about in the media and press is the one thing the Broncos improved upon most of all. Running the ball. It was a tale of two seasons. The first 8 games and the second 8 games.

First 8 games rushing

234 attempts for 863 yards. That's 3.7 yards per carry.

Second 8 games rushing

227 attempts for 1010 yards. That's 4.4 yards per carry.

4.4 YPC would put them in the top 10 in the NFL. I don't put a lot of emphasis on total yards. YPC is a much more accurate indicator of a team's ability to run the ball. The offensive line really came together the 2nd half of the season due to a number of factors. Manny Ramirez was probably the most improved player on this team over the course of the 2013 season. Louis Vasquez had some games to get familiar with his teammates. Chris Clark got some much needed game experience after Clady got hurt. Did the schedule get easier as the season went on? Not at all. As a matter of fact, the Broncos played a grand total of 2 games against playoff teams over the first 8 games. They played 5 games against playoff teams over the last 8 games. While no one is talking about the Bronco's ability to run the ball, I think it's going to be the biggest factor in the playoffs.

In the loss to San Diego, this team ran the ball a grand total of 11 times. I'll bet we see that many attempts in the first half, if not the first quarter. This is going to be a completely different ball game folks. Get ready to watch this team ground and pound. We all know that this team can pass the ball better than any team in NFL history. What everyone doesn't know is how balanced this team is now.

dogfish
01-11-2014, 02:25 AM
if we run into bad weather, i can see montee ball being that guy that kinda comes from nowhere (in relation to the national media storyline BS, not for broncos fans, obviously) and has a big impact on a couple of games. . . as a chain mover, clock killer, and/or the guy who converts a couple of red zone possessions into TDs. . .

Davii
01-11-2014, 02:39 AM
if we run into bad weather, i can see montee ball being that guy that kinda comes from nowhere (in relation to the national media storyline BS, not for broncos fans, obviously) and has a big impact on a couple of games. . . as a chain mover, clock killer, and/or the guy who converts a couple of red zone possessions into TDs. . .

Or the beast mode poor-form low crawling Moreno

SM19
01-11-2014, 02:50 AM
I absolutely love the sheer efficiency of our ground game. Not a lot of home runs, true, but run plays with negative value have been extremely rare this year. It'll be valuable going forward, especially in the event of a rematch with New England.

Ziggy
01-11-2014, 02:53 AM
Or the beast mode poor-form low crawling Moreno

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LbWy3_279CM/UpvUJWJhWcI/AAAAAAAAESQ/isVMPW4YNyM/s400/km.gif

Hawgdriver
01-11-2014, 03:11 AM
I want to see a healthy dose of balance, too, but I think the X-factor is turnovers.

Broncos record in games where they turn the ball over more than the opponent: 4-3. Other games (equal or fewer turnovers): 9-0.

A healthy dose of rushing could mitigate the sack/fumbles somewhat. As long as Ball and Moreno demonstrate ball security, I'm down.

OrangeHoof
01-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Against the Chargers, we want to neutralize their pass rush and the two sure ways to do this are running the ball effectively and getting the ball out of Manning's hands quickly. Peyton is in charge of the second part but I think their success running is going to be a big key. If we can gash them a few times where they have to respect the run, that opens up the passing game. With all our weapons available, I think that will be very tough for the Chargers to stop.

Dzone
01-11-2014, 10:18 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LbWy3_279CM/UpvUJWJhWcI/AAAAAAAAESQ/isVMPW4YNyM/s400/km.gif
Best ever!!! Thanks!

Northman
01-11-2014, 10:50 AM
The X Factor.

http://bumfuzzledjane.com/Pix/2013/01/fat-football-player.jpg

TXBRONC
01-11-2014, 11:39 AM
The X Factor.

http://bumfuzzledjane.com/Pix/2013/01/fat-football-player.jpg

Is that you in the middle?

Joel
01-11-2014, 12:16 PM
So our Secret Weapon is the same as SDs and every coach since Walter Camp. :tongue:

Running's a good idea for the playoffs overall for all the reasons it's a good idea generally (i.e. limit opposing possessions and tire their D while resting ours and extending possessions, preventing turnovers, killing the clock with a lead etc.) It's especially appealing if we end up in a SB against Seattle (who has a great pass rush but is weaker against the run.)

Against SD specifically though the big offensive questions for me are whether Clark can consistently pass block and Beadles run block, or if Clark will give up strip-sacks and Beadles only be capable of run blocking downfield against safeties 100 lbs. lighter than him. The Bolts are bad against the run (27th in YPC) and their secondary's very weak, too, but their pass rush is better than most people seem to credit. Maybe it's because their sack total's fairly low, but they pressure the QB and force bad throws (just ask Cincy) even without sacks.

Unless Clark and/or Beadles just has an awful game though (and Clark in particular seems to have a little curl: "When he's good he's very VERY good, but when he's bad he's horrid") most of my big concerns are on D. If we can't shut down the run without Vickerson, Wolfe and Millers, SD will beat us with this "X-factor" just like they did last time and against Indy. With Champ, DRC and Harris all healthy, plus Woodyard and Trevathan, I like our coverage—but not if they have to cover everyone forever; even the best DBs can't do that.

Northman
01-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Is that you in the middle?

Of course. Ive only been a part of this team since 2008. I just have to sit behind scrubs like Matt Prater all the time.

TXBRONC
01-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Of course. Ive only been a part of this team since 2008. I just have to sit behind scrubs like Matt Prater all the time.

It looks like your shirt is three sizes to small for you. :D

Dzone
01-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Damn, every one of those kids has a muffin top. They must be in a real poor part of the country where they cant afford jerseys that fit or helmets that match.

Army Bronco
01-11-2014, 02:01 PM
nullI think it will be " low crawl" Moreno but not necessarily for the run game. I think it will be about screen passes, dump offs and his blitz pickup.