PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down the Denver Broncos' 2014 Salary Cap: Where Is the Money Best Spent?

DenBronx
01-09-2014, 11:33 PM
The Denver Broncos will enter the offseason with little wiggle room under the salary cap. This problem is created by a few big contracts, none larger than the $17.5 million cap number Peyton Manning has in 2014.

In fact, according to OverTheCap.com, the Broncos had the 11th most cap space in the NFL during the 2013 season. They had over $6.5 million ($6,603,990, exactly) of cap space left over in 2013.

The financial freedom they had in 2013 could be quickly evaporated in 2014.

They have a few big-name players like Eric Decker, Knowshon Moreno and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (along with others), who are set to be unrestricted free agents. Between navigating those contract negotiations, signing other free agents, signing draft picks and undrafted rookies, there is little room for wasted money in 2014.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1916617-breaking-down-the-denver-broncos-2014-salary-cap-where-is-the-money-best-spent

DenBronx
01-09-2014, 11:41 PM
I liked Lammeys suggestions to free up cap room.

Looks like Kuper, Bailey, Dreesen and Tamme are on the bubble. Some that are already under contract might not be here next year to free up space and allow some of our FAs to resign.

Hawgdriver
01-10-2014, 02:22 AM
Free cap room helps with all salary negotiations. So does a championship, and expectation of another.

Joel
01-10-2014, 07:40 AM
So does that mean we have $6.5 million in carryover money? That would certainly help. I'm honestly less worried about 2014 (not that it's a cakewalk) than 2015. We've got a lot of big names coming up that year, too, and are likely to have even less wiggle room after re-signing many others to longterm deals next year. That gets even tighter if we try to re-sign them next year WHILE inking new contracts for guys whose old ones are already finished. Next year itself, I'm not TOO worried, except I agree Decker may regretttably get lost in the shuffle.

CoachChaz
01-10-2014, 09:02 AM
That's why you backload the contracts as much as possible.

DenBronx
01-10-2014, 04:55 PM
If you guys read the article, Lammey thinks we could get potentially 36.3 mill in cap room with a few simple moves.

That's if the 4 players I mentioned above are cut. I don't think we should get rid of both Dreesen and Tamme though. We need at least ONE of those guys to stay and my choice would be Tamme. I like Dreesen alot but the explosive season Thomas had made one of these guys expendable. DRC is more of a priority than Bailey and we still need to retain Chris Harris, releasing him lets us keep both of these guys.

So to recap the article:

6.6 mill we can roll over from last year
The cap rises from 123 to 126.3 giving us an extra 3.3
Spotrac says we will have dead money coming off the books raising our total to 12.8 mill in cap room
If the 4 players are cut that also frees up 19.5 mill in extra cash bringing the total to 32.3 mill
Then Cladys deal drops to around 8 mill leaving us with 36.3 mill

Then (according to the article) There are a few players that will have their contracts rise next year, Miller, Welker, Vasquez. That would leave us around 26.7 mill in space.
Then we need to draft, after we pay for the draft choices that would put us around 22.5 mill in space.

22.5 mill if everything goes down the way Lammey suggests.

Who can retain with this money out of all of the free agents we have this year and next year???

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-10-2014, 06:02 PM
If you guys read the article, Lammey thinks we could get potentially 36.3 mill in cap room with a few simple moves.

That's if the 4 players I mentioned above are cut. I don't think we should get rid of both Dreesen and Tamme though. We need at least ONE of those guys to stay and my choice would be Tamme. I like Dreesen alot but the explosive season Thomas had made one of these guys expendable. DRC is more of a priority than Bailey and we still need to retain Chris Harris, releasing him lets us keep both of these guys.

So to recap the article:

Spotrac says we will have dead money coming off the books raising our total to 12.8 mill in cap room
If the 4 players are cut that also frees up 19.5 mill in extra cash bringing the total to 32.3 mill

Then (according to the article) There are a few players that will have their contracts rise next year, Miller, Welker, Vasquez. That would leave us around 26.7 mill in space.
Then we need to draft, after we pay for the draft choices that would put us around 22.5 mill in space.

Who can retain with this money out of all of the free agents we have this year and next year???

I would think DRC would be retained #1. Those numbers make me optomistic we can make a decent offer to Decker, but I still don't see us offering him #1, while someone desperate likely will.

Broncolingus
01-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Regarding potential 'bubble boy's...'

...I hope that IF Denver wins the SB this year, the only way Bailey would be back is as a coach...

...God Bless his heart, I just think his body is done with football.

JMO...

Hawgdriver
01-10-2014, 06:36 PM
I would think DRC would be retained #1. Those numbers make me optomistic we can make a decent offer to Decker, but I still don't see us offering him #1, while someone desperate likely will.

Even if the hard dollar offer is higher elsewhere, it appears he and his wife will factor in investment income from building a brand presence in Denver.

vettesplus
01-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Even if the hard dollar offer is higher elsewhere, it appears he and his wife will factor in investment income from building a brand presence in Denver.

decker will bolt from the broncos based on money alone, just watch. you will be seeing decker play in 3 more games wearing a bronco uniform and then he is out of here

Edmonton Bronco Fan (2)
01-10-2014, 06:46 PM
decker will bolt from the broncos based on money alone, just watch. you will be seeing decker play in 3 more games wearing a bronco uniform and then he is out of here

I don't get that feeling. I think Deck will sign for below market value and stay a Bronco. Gut feeling, doesn't seem like the guy that is going to bolt for a bit more $$$.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-10-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't get that feeling. I think Deck will sign for below market value and stay a Bronco. Gut feeling, doesn't seem like the guy that is going to bolt for a bit more $$$.

Why wouldn't he? He has to make a decision for his long term future. He was only a 3rd round draft pick, so it's not like he's got several million dollars sitting in the bank. This may be his only chance at a big money deal.

Joel
01-10-2014, 07:24 PM

So to recap the article:

I DID read the article and that's NOT what he said:
They had over $6.5 million ($6,603,990, exactly) of cap space left over in 2013.

The financial freedom they had in 2013 could be quickly evaporated in 2014....
Here's an overview of Denver’s cap situation, as well as thoughts on where the money should be spent.

Creating Wiggle Room
According to Tom Pelissero of (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/12/11/2104-nfl-salary-cap/3994927/) USA Today Sports (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/12/11/2104-nfl-salary-cap/3994927/), the 2013 NFL salary cap of $123 million will likely increase by 2.68 percent to $126.3 million—providing Denver with an extra $3.3 million in cap space right off the bat.
The Broncos also have nearly $9.5 million of dead money from the 2013 season that will be coming off the books, according to Spotrac (http://www.spotrac.com/premium/research/nfl/2013-team-dead-money-rankings-374/)....

That brings to total of $12.8 million in extra cap space.
Next, the Broncos will need to make some cuts.
He noted this years extra cap space solely to illustrate how much less freedom we'll have next year, but didn't include it in his math, so I wanted to verify both the amount of unused cap space this year and that it would all be rolled over to next year. For one thing, I don't know how much of our existing cap space is from previous years and never found out whether unused cap space can be rolled over indefinitely (which I still maintain could ultimately negate the cap, especially with the new rookie cap holding down draftee salaries.)

Short form: Yes, the $22.5 million more extra cap room next year is a valid figure IF we can count all of this years unused cap space, but Lammey didn't, so I want to verify that we CAN.

NightTerror218
01-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Why wouldn't he? He has to make a decision for his long term future. He was only a 3rd round draft pick, so it's not like he's got several million dollars sitting in the bank. This may be his only chance at a big money deal.

Why does he nees the money his fiancee is a millionaire as well.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Why does he nees the money his fiancee is a millionaire as well.

Ask him that question. Hey Decker, why do you need to play for millions when your wife's already loaded? Why don't you just play for the league minimum for the Broncos? :laugh:

I jest dude, I jest.

Joel
01-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Ask him that question. Hey Decker, why do you need to play for millions when your wife's already loaded? Why don't you just play for the league minimum for the Broncos? :laugh:

I jest dude, I jest.
Yeah, by that logic Manning should play for the vet minimum (which next year will still be a respectable $955,000.) After all, even if he holds onto his pumpkin futures till All Saints Day, both his dad and brother were starting NFL QBs for a decade and probably won't let him starve on the street. Money's not the only motive for pros, but it's always a factor, especially good ones.