PDA

View Full Version : John Lynch makes football hall of fame cut; Karl Mecklenburg, Terrell Davis out

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Former Broncos safety John Lynch has made the Pro Football Hall of Fame cutdown to 15 modern-era finalists.

Lynch was a 15-year safety who played the final four seasons of his career (2004-07) with the Broncos. He played his first 11 seasons with Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including their Super Bowl championship season of 2002.

There was disappointment in the Hall of Fame announcement Thursday as three other former stars — running back Terrell Davis, safety Steve Atwater and defensive end-linebacker Karl Mecklenburg — failed to make the cut from 25 semifinalists to the final 15.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24881487/john-lynch-football-hall-fame-cut-mecklenburg-davis

Davii
01-09-2014, 11:00 PM
I can understand the knock on Terrell that he just didn't play long enough. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I cannot understand why Atwater and Meck don't make the cut. Best of luck to John Lynch, I think he definitely deserves to be in the hall of fame!

chazoe60
01-09-2014, 11:08 PM
I can understand the knock on Terrell that he just didn't play long enough. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I cannot understand why Atwater and Meck don't make the cut. Best of luck to John Lynch, I think he definitely deserves to be in the hall of fame!

I wonder how many safeties with 8 probowls aren't in the HOF?

Army Bronco
01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Atwater, Meck and TD got jipped............booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2014, 11:20 PM
atwater, meck and td got jipped............booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

again

tubby
01-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Boo

Army Bronco
01-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Boooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poet
01-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Karl Meckenburg was an obvious first ballot guy who gets disrespected yearly.

7DnBrnc53
01-10-2014, 01:33 AM
If Dwight Stephenson is in, then TD should be in.

Stephenson was a center for the Dolphins from 1980-87.

He didn't start for most of his first three years. He wasn't the full-time center until the end of the strike-shortened 1982 season.

He made the Pro Bowl from 1983-86, but in 1987, his career was ended prematurely by a low Marty Lyons hit.

TD's career is very similar, but he won two SB's, a SB MVP, and had a 2,000 yard season.

pnbronco
01-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Karl Meckenburg was an obvious first ballot guy who gets disrespected yearly.

I feel the same way King....I just don't understand it given the time when he played and that he played all the positions on the line.

Good Luck Lynch. I really hope you get in as a Bronco of course.

Poet
01-10-2014, 01:36 AM
If it makes you feel any better, Kevin Greene should have been first ballot as well, and he's sitting in limbo for no damned reason.

pnbronco
01-10-2014, 02:17 AM
If it makes you feel any better, Kevin Greene should have been first ballot as well, and he's sitting in limbo for no damned reason.

Kevin and Karl are great friends....man that sucks for both of them. Kevin came out here a few times to help Karl with his golf tourn. His arms were just scary after he had been out several years....yikes!

atwater27
01-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Hall of fame committee members need to be fired. All of them.

Broncolingus
01-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Screw objectivity...

...I'm pissed all three got snubbed again (Meck, Atwater, and Davis)!

atwater27
01-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Screw objectivity...

That's what the voters did.

claymore
01-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I just cant believe Bettis and Dungy made it one step further. There are other names on the list, but those 2 are ridiculous. Bettis was average for a long time. Dungy was a good coordinator, but he was an average HC. I was furious last night.

I thought the HOF was about greatness. Not long term mediocrity.

G_Money
01-10-2014, 12:30 PM
I can understand TD not getting in. His career was just so short, and nobody made a movie about TD. If he eventually gets in I'll be happy for him, but he's not a lock even though we got our championships on his back.

I do understand Meck not getting in, for more cynical reasons. Harry Carson is in because he played in darling NY, and had more voters and more rings even though Meck is a better player. I think Karl is unlikely to make it unless the vet committee steps in later on when he's an older man.

But I will never understand the hatred of safeties. Atwater made 8 Pro Bowls and an All-Decade team, and has a couple of rings, but Ronnie Lott is the only safety who played since 1980 to get into the Hall. I don't get it, and I'll never get it. Atwater can't even make the FINALS? It's a joke.

~G

broncofaninfla
01-10-2014, 01:35 PM
The system or process for selecting players needs to be updated and changed. Aside from the 5-6 very deserving Broncos that should already be in there there are other players from other teams that deserve to be in as well. With that said I'd argue with anybody that former Broncos get snubbed more than any other team.

Poet
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
You guys are going to be pissed when Ed Reed and Troy Polomalu get in before Atwater.

DenBronx
01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
You guys are going to be pissed when Ed Reed and Troy Polomalu get in before Atwater.

I will. Atwater was a boss.

Dzone
01-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Its a travesty that TD is out of the HOF. He was the best player in football for 2 years, superbowl mvp, league mvp etc etc...
Im tired of this farce every year. It totally diminishes the validity of the HOF.
If Bettis gets in and TD stays out, well, thats a complete sham

tripp
01-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Lynch isn't really a Bronco either... *sniff* *sniff*

GEM
01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
I just don't see how they overlook Atwater. Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I just don't see how they overlook Atwater. Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

I like Lynch, but I don't see how he can be considered a better football player than Karl M.

GEM
01-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I just cant believe Bettis and Dungy made it one step further. There are other names on the list, but those 2 are ridiculous. Bettis was average for a long time. Dungy was a good coordinator, but he was an average HC. I was furious last night.

I thought the HOF was about greatness. Not long term mediocrity.

Longevity > Talent apparently.

Poet
01-10-2014, 08:02 PM
After reviewing this thread, Claymore is to football posting what Josh McDaniels is to head coaching. Give it a rest, Claymore. Guys who finish in the top ten in rushing are going to make the Hall of Fame. I know, I know, he didn't do it in a super flashy exciting way, but thems the breaks. Davis' and Bettis' careers don't invalidate one another.

claymore
01-10-2014, 08:10 PM
After reviewing this thread, Claymore is to football posting what Josh McDaniels is to head coaching. Give it a rest, Claymore. Guys who finish in the top ten in rushing are going to make the Hall of Fame. I know, I know, he didn't do it in a super flashy exciting way, but thems the breaks. Davis' and Bettis' careers don't invalidate one another.If longevity is the standard, there should be more kickers/scoring leaders in the HOF. But its not the standard. Greatness is the standard. Davis was great. He dominated the league for 4 years. Bettis didnt dominate anything. He just stayed healthy for a long, long time.

chazoe60
01-10-2014, 08:11 PM
If longevity is the standard, there should be more kickers/scoring leaders in the HOF. But its not the standard. Greatness is the standard. Davis was great. He dominated the league for 4 years. Bettis didnt dominate anything. He just stayed healthy for a long, long time.

If Gayle Sayers is in the HOF then TD belongs in the HOF.

Poet
01-10-2014, 08:23 PM
If longevity is the standard, there should be more kickers/scoring leaders in the HOF. But its not the standard. Greatness is the standard. Davis was great. He dominated the league for 4 years. Bettis didnt dominate anything. He just stayed healthy for a long, long time.

Claymore, your kicker argument is retarded and honestly speaking, I think it would be best if there were 'slots' for each position during voting. That way under the rules x amount of position players from position A could get in, and then x amount for position B could get in. Davis dominated the league for two years, Claymore. Let's be honest about that. He had two elite years, one great year, and one good year. Bettis was consistently one of the best backs in the league and was the outlet for his offense. I'd put Davis in there myself, just because he is so borderline and because I like him that much.

You're also missing the point - I would put both of those guys in. They both belong. If you really want to kick and scream about TD being in the Hall before Bettis, than be my guest. But, if you really think Bettis doesn't belong in the Hall then do us a favor and stop watching football.

You wanna talk about a snub, go look at Kevin Greene. That's a guy who is one of the best ever at his position and put up big production for quite some time. Many people consider Tim Brown to be a top five all-time WR. His numbers at certain parts of his career are a little weaker than expected, but I've read that people point to his era, team, and quarterback for a partial explanation.

claymore
01-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Claymore, your kicker argument is retarded and honestly speaking, I think it would be best if there were 'slots' for each position during voting. That way under the rules x amount of position players from position A could get in, and then x amount for position B could get in. Davis dominated the league for two years, Claymore. Let's be honest about that. He had two elite years, one great year, and one good year. Bettis was consistently one of the best backs in the league and was the outlet for his offense. I'd put Davis in there myself, just because he is so borderline and because I like him that much.

You're also missing the point - I would put both of those guys in. They both belong. If you really want to kick and scream about TD being in the Hall before Bettis, than be my guest. But, if you really think Bettis doesn't belong in the Hall then do us a favor and stop watching football.

You wanna talk about a snub, go look at Kevin Greene. That's a guy who is one of the best ever at his position and put up big production for quite some time. Many people consider Tim Brown to be a top five all-time WR. His numbers at certain parts of his career are a little weaker than expected, but I've read that people point to his era, team, and quarterback for a partial explanation.

I agree 100,000% about Greene. As for the rest its useless to argue.

Poet
01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I agree 100,000% about Greene. As for the rest its useless to argue.

I won't rest until one of us dies by the other's hand, Claymore.

SM19
01-11-2014, 03:26 AM
The only explanation for Dungy even making the cut is straight-up cronyism on the part of sycophants like Peter King.

7DnBrnc53
01-11-2014, 04:09 AM
The only explanation for Dungy even making the cut is straight-up cronyism on the part of sycophants like Peter King.

Agreed. He doesn't deserve to be in the HOF, even though I like him.

MOtorboat
01-11-2014, 08:49 AM
OK...we're all pissed that Davis, Atwater and Mecklenburg aren't getting in for another year, but "whoa!" with the Dungy hate...

He has the best winning percentage of any coach that coached after 1995, and is 11th all time.

If I'm going to make the argument for Davis every year that for a four year stretch (nearly 10 percent of all the seasons played up until that point in history) he was the best player in the game and that any player who is the best player in the game for ANY period of time longer than a year or two should be looked at as great and deserving of the Hall of Fame, then I'm making the argument that it's for greatness, not longevity.

And what's better than a win percentage for a coach? I can't logically argue against Dungy and for Davis. They both had short careers compared to their peers when placing them up against fellow players and coaches, but they both were great over that short stretch.

Poet
01-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Mo, you're forgetting the patented "He somehow is not responsible for the talent on either of his teams," and my personal favorite "He will get in because he's black."

Enjoy dealing with those two mind-numbing arguments. It's delightful. I swear.

MOtorboat
01-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Mo, you're forgetting the patented "He somehow is not responsible for the talent on either of his teams," and my personal favorite "He will get in because he's black."

Enjoy dealing with those two mind-numbing arguments. It's delightful. I swear.

To be fair...being black doesn't hurt him.

Poet
01-11-2014, 09:19 AM
To be fair...being black doesn't hurt him.

Nor is it this automatic inclusion device of epic proportions.

MOtorboat
01-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Nor is it this automatic inclusion device of epic proportions.

If Lovie Smith wins that Super Bowl instead of Dungy, could we talking about him in the HOF. I realize his winning percentage isn't anywhere near Dungy's, but it's a valid question when discussing the race factor.

Poet
01-11-2014, 09:24 AM
If Lovie Smith wins that Super Bowl instead of Dungy, could we talking about him in the HOF. I realize his winning percentage isn't anywhere near Dungy's, but it's a valid question when discussing the race factor.

No. Lovie was never thought to be a great leader or tactical coach. Lovie Smith would still be destroyed for being awful with game management, and so much of that SB luster would have died off with the Cutler acquisition. You can bet your bottom dollar that his legacy would have been something like "Wins with a defense and then gives it all away for a big armed QB."

BroncoJoe
01-11-2014, 09:26 AM

I don't know about Lovie being considered, but if Dungy didn't win there would be no conversation about his HOF worthiness. To say that him being the firsts black head coach to win the Superbowl isn't an influence is just being naive.

Poet
01-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Well, let's be accurate here. You have people like Claymore who have stated that he will get in only because he's black. Then you have people who say that he will get in, but him being black will be a large aspect of it. Then you have people who say it might matter, but the merits of his career will dictate it either way.

For me, it's pretty simple. He has a SB ring, which many coaches do. Brian Billick, George Seifert, and guys like that aren't making Canton anytime soon. But, neither of those guys were thought to be among the best coaches of their time. They didn't coach teams who made the playoffs for a decade straight, and they didn't have a winning percentage like Dungy's. They weren't thought to be great tactical or motivational coaches, either.

Dungy was all of that. During his head coaching era, which peers were better than Dungy? Belichek? Maybe Fisher, for a time? Shanahan? It's a mighty short list.