PDA

View Full Version : Moreno Makes Sports Illustrated Cover

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2014, 08:29 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For the Divisional Round of the NFL playoffs, Sports Illustrated put together several regional covers.

One of them highlights the Broncos -- specifically running back Knowshon Moreno.

Moreno's career year has been covered as recently as this morning on DenverBroncos.com, but the SI story -- written by Tim Layden -- focuses on the emotions Moreno showed just before kickoff of the Broncos' Week 13 showdown with the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium.

CBS cameras caught Moreno with tears streaming down his face during the National Anthem.

rest - plus video, and shot of Moreno on cover
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Moreno-Makes-Sports-Illustrated-Cover/f90569b8-c501-4776-b3ed-f66ef2d94f13

AND

You can view the full cover below, and read what Moreno had to say to DenverBroncos.com about his emotions earlier this season here.

MOtorboat
01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Apparently, they have a BCS Championship Game cover too...that's what's on my digital copy anyway. My hard copy usually comes on Friday.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2014, 08:39 PM
from article:

"Not uncommon at all," he says. "It's always been that way for me, all the way back to high school and college. During the anthem it's always quiet and still, so I take in the moment and say a little prayer. Usually there's no camera on me. I thank the Lord for letting me play the game. I thank Him for everything. I run through my whole life right there at that moment. Even the bad stuff."

Moreno was born as the child of two children: His mother, Varashon McQueen, was 16 when Knowshon was conceived; his father, Freddie Moreno, was 17. Both teenagers lived in the Bronx. Varashon, one of three children, was named after a character in a short story written by her father, William McQueen. Freddie was called Knowledge, a name he received as a member of the Five Percent Nation, an offshoot of the Nation of Islam that was founded in the 1960s; he was the second of five children born to Puerto Rican immigrants and was raised by his mother at a housing project on Fish Avenue. The young couple gave their son a name built from their own: Know for Knowledge, Shon for Varashon.

As a toddler, Knowshon was moved among several residences, living sometimes with his paternal grandmother, sometimes with his father and sometimes with his grandmother and mother in New Jersey. He was seldom in the same place for more than a week or two. "I just remember going back and forth," says Knowshon. "It seemed like I was all over [New York City's five] boroughs."

full article - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140108/knowshon-moreno/

After reading the full article - I am so happy for Knowshon having the year he has had

Dzone
01-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Its a regional cover. I saw the california SI this week and it has Phillip Rivers on the cover. So SI cover jinx does not apply.

Buff
01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
I liked this quote from Ball, showing how Knowshon has matured:

This year he's been more than just the team's most reliable running back; he's been a maturing presence in the locker room. Through the early years of his career he was a ball of frantic energy, often without direction, bouncing around the locker room like a grade-schooler on Red Bull. "He was kind of crazy-passionate," says Fox. Now that passion has been refined. "He's channeled that energy," adds kicker Matt Prater, one of Moreno's best friends on the team. "He's settled down and learned when to use it."

When Ball, a second-round pick brought in to challenge Moreno, fumbled against New England in that Week 12 game, he sought out Moreno the next day. "I knew he had a experience with fumbling," says Ball. "He told me, You're holding the entire organization in your hands when you carry the ball; your teammates and the coaches and fans -- everybody. It's a mental thing. Everybody holds the ball tight. He helped me realize how much it means to hold that football."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140108/knowshon-moreno/#ixzz2pxZnNAmw

Thnikkaman
01-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I got the Colts cover.

Broncolingus
01-09-2014, 10:02 PM
...so SI cover jinx does not apply.

:beer:

FanInAZ
01-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Its a regional cover. I saw the california SI this week and it has Phillip Rivers on the cover. So SI cover jinx does not apply.

Or Moreno loose 3 fumbles & Rivers throws 3 Picks :D

Hawgdriver
01-10-2014, 05:49 AM
I liked this quote from Ball, showing how Knowshon has matured:

It is a mental thing. Moreno has conquered it. He's teaching Ball how to conquer it. That's good stuff. Let's get those two in a room with Trindon.