PDA

View Full Version : Bates doesn't dwell on past

TXBRONC
09-12-2009, 09:07 AM
All this is a nice little story about the former offensive coordinator.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13319985

Bates doesn't dwell on past
USC assistant has only good things to say about stint in Denver
By John Henderson
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/12/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

LOS ANGELES — Jeremy Bates plans on checking out the Chicago Bears' game against Green Bay on Sunday to see what happens with his old star pupil with the Broncos, Jay Cutler, now with the Bears.

Bates, the Broncos' quarterbacks coach last year, is the new assistant head coach of the offense and quarterbacks coach for third-ranked Southern California. He's also the only football person around who hasn't expressed an opinion about what happened to Cutler.

In a way, you can't blame him. Shortly after new Broncos coach Jay McDaniels jettisoned Mike Shana- han's old staff, including Bates, Pete Carroll asked him to help guide one of the most potent offenses in college football.

Why look back at the Broncos' past when you have such a bright present? After a practice at USC this week, he was all smiles. It was a postcard-perfect California morning, he was preparing for the biggest game of the week in college football, at Ohio State on Saturday night, and he had a true freshman quarterback to get ready.

Want to spoil Jeremy Bates' disposition, people? Bring up the Broncos.

"So what do you miss about Denver?" he was asked.

"I'm not going to get involved with that," he said. "I had a great experience. It was a great three years and I enjoyed everything Mr. (Pat) Bowlen allowed me to do and Coach Shanahan. It's a great town."

"Everybody had a reaction to what happened to Cutler. What was yours?"

"Again, that's in the past. Right now I'm dealing with an 18-year-old freshman quarterback."

"Talked to Jay?"

"Yeah. I'll definitely watch him and check scores out Sunday."

"Any advice for Brandon Marshall?"

"I'm a great Brandon Marshall fan. He's a great football player on Sunday. I'm pulling for him."

Keep in mind, Carroll did not hire Bates for his quippy quotes. He's the son of longtime NFL assistant Jim Bates and acts it, both in meetings and interviews. Carroll has entrusted this baby-faced 33-year-old to develop Matt Barkley, the first true freshman quarterback to start a USC opener.

Only USC's seven consecutive Pac-10 titles and Carroll's legacy are on the line.

"He's helped tremendously," Carroll said. "It's been really refreshing to have a new look at really the same stuff. He's run the same offense we run — a tremendous percentage of it — and to have his viewpoint and his toughness and the demands he's placed on himself and expectations to perform and execute has helped us."

Bates wasn't out of work long. It didn't hurt having Cutler, fresh off his first Pro Bowl, hope publicly that McDaniels would keep Bates on the staff. Turns out, McDaniels kept neither.

So, instead of coaching Cutler, Bates is calling plays next to Carroll, with offensive coordinator John Morton giving input from the press box. They both are replacing Steve Sarkisian, now the Washington Huskies' head coach.

Keeping it simple, Bates guided Barkley to a terrific debut: 15-of-19 for 233 yards and a TD in last Saturday's 56-3 rout of San Jose State. How much has Bates helped Barkley?

"I don't know where to begin," Barkley said. "He's helped tremendously in a lot of areas. Just approaching the game a little differently and checking the ball down. I'm glad he came. I'm glad he's a Trojan. I'm looking forward to doing this thing together."

John Henderson: 303-954-1299 or jhenderson@denverpost.com

Fan in Exile
09-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but McD didn't fire Bates. Bates left.

TXBRONC
09-12-2009, 09:49 AM

That's is correct. He could have stayed but he would have more or less demoted.

NightTrainLayne
09-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Yeah. . .well, correct me if I'm wrong here, but Coach McDaniels first name ain't Jay either. .. .details, details, details. :lol:

Shortly after new Broncos coach Jay McDaniels jettisoned Mike Shana- han's old staff, including Bates, Pete Carroll asked him to help guide one of the most potent offenses in college football.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2009, 10:05 AM

According to this article, it appears that Bates was fired. If he left on his own, why did the Broncos have to pick up the difference in salary?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3845015

Sources corrected the salary figure of $1 million, which was originally reported. Instead, Bates will be paid less than $300,000 by USC. The Broncos are obligated to pay the balance of what he is owed by the NFL team.

Bates signed a three-year contract with USC. He signed a three-year extension with Denver before Mike Shanahan was fired as head coach.

rcsodak
09-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Great.....

What's next? Daddy Bates interview? Larry Coyer?

Hey...how about ex-players that have excelled? Like Chicago's best TE, Desmond Clark (pre-olson, of course).

Boy...ya gotta love these anti-Bronco's writers. NOTHING gets by them. :coffee:

Simple Jaded
09-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Great.....

What's next? Daddy Bates interview? Larry Coyer?

Hey...how about ex-players that have excelled? Like Chicago's best TE, Desmond Clark (pre-olson, of course).

Boy...ya gotta love these anti-Bronco's writers. NOTHING gets by them. :coffee:

You mean besides folks like The Mile High Propaganda Report and Mark Schlereth, am I right? They're the All-Knowing and Definitive Authority on what is relevant about all things Denver Broncos.......