PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller set for ACL surgery

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller will have surgery Wednesday to repair his torn right ACL.

Miller, whose recovery is expected to take six to nine months, will travel to Florida, where the procedure will be performed by a surgeon in Dr. James Andrews' group.

Miller, sporting a brace on the knee for support in recent days, has received treatment at the Broncos' facility since he suffered the injury last month. Miller did seek a second opinion on the injury and chose Andrews' group for the surgery. The swelling has subsided enough for doctors to make the repair.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10258075/von-miller-denver-broncos-set-acl-surgery-wednesday

Ziggy
01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Well he picked the right doctor. Here's to a speedy recovery. :beer:

DenBronx
01-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Well he picked the right doctor. Here's to a speedy recovery. :beer:

Recovery is 6-9 months.

He was out the first 6 games of the season last year. That's probably the same time we will get him back next year. This sucks!!!!

ShaneFalco
01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Gl von!

Army Bronco
01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
He should be ready for the SB right?

BroncoWave
01-07-2014, 02:58 PM
It will probably be mid to late next season before he is really back up to full speed, if at all. Really, really sucks that we are pretty much going to lose to years of him in his prime.

LTC Pain
01-07-2014, 03:13 PM
This link indicates Miller will miss all of OTAs and likely at least a portion of training camp.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/39880/Von-Miller-to-undergo-ACL-surgery-Wednesday/Default.aspx

DenBronx
01-07-2014, 03:16 PM
This link indicates Miller will miss all of OTAs and likely at least a portion of training camp.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/39880/Von-Miller-to-undergo-ACL-surgery-Wednesday/Default.aspx

Hopefully he is more on the 6 month side of recovery than the 9 month side, which would put him around a September return. Then he still has to shake off the rust and get into football shape.

CoachChaz
01-07-2014, 03:17 PM
It really all depends on his recovery speed. If it's closer to the 6 months, then he should be ready to go full speed come late August, early September. If it's closer to 9 months...we really need to invest in pass rushers in the off-season

Joel
01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
I just hope they check him for this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24826323 An anterolateral ligament tear would explain the looseness he said he had in his knee even before the ACL tear. More significantly, undiagnosed anterolateral ligament tears (as the article dicusses) may very well be why ACL tears are so unpredictable. Sometimes guys are never the same, sometimes they're as good as new, and sometimes they LOOK as good as new until they have a SECOND—career-ending—ACL tear the first or second season after the first.

Since the ALL—though long suspected—was only discovered a couple months ago, it would be easy for even the best doctors to miss. It all depends on the accuracy of this statement:
He did not suffer any significant damage to any other ligaments in the knee, a fact expected to aid him in his bid to return for the 2014 season.

It would really suck (especially for them) if 2011s #2 overall pick and our 2012 first round picks careers ended before they even began, but it looks like a very real and dire possibility right now.

BigDaddyBronco
01-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Hey Von, smoking pot will not speed up your recovery....

Joel
01-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Hey Von, smoking pot will not speed up your recovery....
Yeah, that's the other thing I'm worried about: What if Miller decides "Well, I can't play football for a year ANYWAY, so...."

tripp
01-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Hope all goes well, and a speedy recovery.

Ziggy
01-07-2014, 05:21 PM
It really all depends on his recovery speed. If it's closer to the 6 months, then he should be ready to go full speed come late August, early September. If it's closer to 9 months...we really need to invest in pass rushers in the off-season

Elway's already addressed it this last offseason with Quanterus Smith and Lerentee McCray. I'm hoping that one of these two can get to OTA's and camp healthy and make an impact next season. My money would be on Smith. I'm sure he'll address in this draft and/or free agent period as well. John knows the value of a pass rush. Once again, these two are both better suited in a 3-4 D, but Von has shown that a good pass rusher can excel in any scheme.

Magnificent Seven
01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Trade Von Miller for Texans' first round draft pick. :D

Joel
01-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Trade Von Miller for Texans' first round draft pick. :D
You make it sound like a bad idea. Clowney's reportedly as much an elite talent as Miller is, but better suited to a 4-3 just as Miller's better suited to a 3-4 like Houstons. Their D could change now that Wade (and everyone else) is gone, but given the trouble Houston's had keep quality LBs healthy and on the roster, they might jump at the chance for Miller.

Unfortunately (for many reasons) they need a quality QB even more, so it's hard to believe they'd pass on Bridgewater to get Miller. Or was that the joke?

CoachChaz
01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Houston is reportedly VERY interested in Manziel as well. Maybe that is the reason they are interested in trading out of the #1 overall pick. Manziel will be making his decision announcement today, but it looks like he signed with agents yesterday, so entering the draft appears to be a foregone conclusion.

Basically...Bridgewater might not be their primary target

BroncoJoe
01-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Houston is reportedly VERY interested in Manziel as well. Maybe that is the reason they are interested in trading out of the #1 overall pick. Manziel will be making his decision announcement today, but it looks like he signed with agents yesterday, so entering the draft appears to be a foregone conclusion.

Basically...Bridgewater might not be their primary target

Do you think the fact Houston has the #1 pick influenced his decision?

2nd - if Houston wants him, wouldn't it be risky to trade out of the only position where they're guaranteed to get him?

CoachChaz
01-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Do you think the fact Houston has the #1 pick influenced his decision?

2nd - if Houston wants him, wouldn't it be risky to trade out of the only position where they're guaranteed to get him?

Hard to say. I know it actually became a tougher decision for him than many expected and Houston has had the #1 pick for a few weeks now, so I cant say if that had any influence...unless of course they reached out to him behind the scenes.

I would think they could move back a few slots and still get him, but the gamble would be another team trading up past them afterward to nab him. However, I think a team could justify using the #1 overall pick on him. The risk that people like to fall on is all media hype. Fact is, he accounted for just shy of 10,000 yards of offense in 2 years in the SEC. That's not too bad

OrangeHoof
01-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Why did Miller wait until now? Knowing the recovery time, he should have had this done sooner.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Von Miller having surgery to repair ACL tear in right knee tomorrow (Thursday), not today. Dr. James Andrews to perform in Florida.

silkamilkamonico
01-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Why did Miller wait until now? Knowing the recovery time, he should have had this done sooner.

You have to wait for swelling to go down and other aspects of insides to settle.

I am surprised some of you guys are just now realizing he will miss a part of next year.

MasterShake
01-08-2014, 05:04 PM
ACL used to signal the end of your career. Here's to a speedy recovery!

NightTerror218
01-08-2014, 05:31 PM
I think he will be back quicker then expected. Just the fact he walked off the field and what not. I am just hoping.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-08-2014, 06:21 PM
You have to wait for swelling to go down and other aspects of insides to settle.

I am surprised some of you guys are just now realizing he will miss a part of next year.

He should be ready to go by the end of the preseason

Joel
01-08-2014, 06:39 PM
ACL used to signal the end of your career. Here's to a speedy recovery!
It still can, even a year or two after it's repaired. I really wish I knew more about whether they've checked his ALL as well as the better known ligaments. I'll be holding my breath every time he takes a snap, hopefully through the end of 2015, because if it's not reinjured sooner that's about how long it'll be before I'm sure it's fully and permanently healthy. The fact he said his knee was ALREADY loose even before his ACL tore makes me very worried a pre-existing ALL tear caused the ACL tear.

dogfish
01-08-2014, 06:40 PM
He should be ready to go by the end of the preseason

i don't know about "should be". . . could be, certainly. . . but even if he is ready to play, that doesn't mean he'll be back to his old form right away. . . and he still needs to lose that useless weight, plus whatever he'll accumulate not running for the next 4-6 months. . . i'm admittedly pessimistic on von, but i don't think we'll see anything close to 2012 von next year. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
i don't know about "should be". . . could be, certainly. . . but even if he is ready to play, that doesn't mean he'll be back to his old form right away. . . and he still needs to lose that useless weight, plus whatever he'll accumulate not running for the next 4-6 months. . . i'm admittedly pessimistic on von, but i don't think we'll see anything close to 2012 von next year. . .

You might be right. I'm probably trying to be overly optomistic. Most of the weight is muscle weight, and he's probably already started losing it because he can't lift right now. He's a pretty lean guy, and my guess is that when it's all said and done he'll probably actually have to gain weight when he gets released to lift again. I would venture to guess he drops down around 230, which is probably too light. There is no way he will even be able to come close to maintaining that muscle mass.

chazoe60
01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
If he wouldn't have gotten so fat this never would have happened. ;)

dogfish
01-08-2014, 06:51 PM

come on, don't start-- you know damn well somebody won't be able to resist the bait. . . :tsk:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-08-2014, 06:52 PM

I drank too much soda today and tore my ACL.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
come on, don't start-- you know damn well somebody won't be able to resist the bait. . . :tsk:

Too late. :laugh:

I drank too much soda today and tore my ACL.

silkamilkamonico
01-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Just think of how fat he is going to get sitting on his ass smoking blunts on a surgically repaired knee.

Broncolingus
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Get back 100% Von...

..and kiss goodbye to a pretty shitty 2013.

Hoping your 2014 turns out better...

atwater27
01-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Oh who are we all kidding? The odds of Von coming back early are bad. The likelihood that he will come back a shadow of himself or reinjuring himself is pretty high. The fact that he loves him some chronic will not make things any better. I am not counting on Von Miller anymore to make a positive impact on the Broncos. What a shame.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-10-2014, 10:55 AM
I know you guys might be making tongue in cheek comments, but the chances of him sitting around smoking dope and eating potato chips is pretty slim. Even though he's on IR he still has to participate in the league's substance abuse program, which means regular piss tests, which I doubt he'll be stupid enough to try and cheat.