PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams out for season

Broncos Mtnman
11-27-2007, 08:06 PM
MIAMI (AP) -- Ricky Williams' latest comeback lasted one game. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/11/27/bc.fbn.williamsinjury.ap/index.html)

Dolphins back tore chest muscle after six carries.

The Miami Dolphins running back will miss the rest of the season with a torn chest muscle, according to his agent, Leigh Steinberg.

Williams was hurt Monday at Pittsburgh, when he played in his first game in nearly two years. He returned following a 11/2-year suspension for his latest violation of the NFL drug policy.

Steinberg said the arm will be in a sling from four to six weeks and the rehab will take five months.

But Steinberg said Williams expects to be ready for next season.

"It's sad given how hopeful Ricky had been about his return to football and given the amount of effort Ricky had put into his rehabilitation. But he's optimistic and hopeful for the future."

With a winless record, the Dolphins were desperate for help and eager to showcase Williams in hopes of increasing his trade value. Coach Cam Cameron decided to play Williams only a week after he joined practice.

"My No. 1 concern coming into the game, when you hurry a guy back, obviously he could get hurt," Cameron said after the game.

The team was off Tuesday, and a spokesman for the Dolphins said they had no comment on Williams' status. Miami is 0-11 and plays the New York Jets on Sunday.

Williams was injured in the second quarter Monday on a play when he fumbled. After being tackled, he was accidentally stepped on while chest-down on the ground.

Williams left the game, returned briefly and departed for good after one more carry. He finished with 15 yards in six carries, and the Dolphins lost 3-0 on a last-minute field goal.

Miami running back Jesse Chatman sat out the second half with a neck injury, and his availability for the Jets game is in doubt. The Dolphins' other running backs are Patrick Cobbs and rookie Lorenzo Booker.

The Dolphins lost starter Ronnie Brown for the season to a knee injury last month.

Williams, the 2002 NFL rushing champion, has played in only 13 games since retiring in the summer of 2004. He has tested positive for marijuana at least four times since the Dolphins acquired him in 2002, and their franchise-record playoff drought began that same year.

Williams hasn't missed an NFL game because of an injury since 2000 when he was with the New Orleans Saints.

champbronc2
11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow! I am surprised! I thought he could make the Pro Bowl!!!:rolleyes::laugh:

KCL
11-28-2007, 12:18 AM
He got a pretty good hit or bad hit I should say when he was on
the ground and a Steeler slid into him and got with with his cleats.

WTE
11-28-2007, 02:33 PM
He got a pretty good hit or bad hit I should say when he was on
the ground and a Steeler slid into him and got with with his cleats.

He was intentionally stomped on. The Pittsburgh player lifted his leg high in the air and then slammed it in Ricky's shoulder.

Dirty play. Hope he gets fined.

Lonestar
11-28-2007, 02:44 PM
would not want to be the next RB in MIA sounds like there is a bounty out on them..

Ricky
11-28-2007, 02:47 PM
He was intentionally stomped on. The Pittsburgh player lifted his leg high in the air and then slammed it in Ricky's shoulder.

I don't think Ricky has many friends left in the league.

WTE
11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't think Ricky has many friends left in the league.

I heard he gets along great with Travis Henry. :laugh:

Mike
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM

Comeon, Ricky's back provided better traction than the field.

Ricky
11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I heard he gets along great with Travis Henry. :laugh:

They may share blunts, but do they share women?

Escobar
11-28-2007, 03:34 PM
They may share blunts, but do they share women?

hahahah pretty sure they do..........throw in larry fitzgerald in there aswell lol, getting a raider cheerleader pregnant lol

KCL
11-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Was it intentional? I just saw it in slow mo replay and I couldnt
tell it was.

OB
11-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Its cause he smokes weed - karma - im tellin ya :tsk::tsk:

broncosfanscott
11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
That was a quick comeback.

Well he can't blame it on the weed this time. I know there are some players in the league who don't like him, yet getting intentionally stepped on like that isn't right and I hope something is done.

NameUsedBefore
11-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Considering that there was a ball on the ground I'm positive the stomp wasn't intentional. Unfortunate for Williams, wish him the best even if he has made some incredibly dumb decisions in the past.

KCL
11-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Considering that there was a ball on the ground I'm positive the stomp wasn't intentional. Unfortunate for Williams, wish him the best even if he has made some incredibly dumb decisions in the past.

yea I would think that he is clean from anything in his system that is
illegal,since he has a history of smoking pot,I would think that he is
being checked quite a bit.

WTE
11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Considering that there was a ball on the ground I'm positive the stomp wasn't intentional.

I disagree. The player who stomped Ricky was the only defender who did not immediately go for the ball. Raising his leg high in the air is a very unnatural act when going for a loose ball. You just take a mad dash.

Pittsburgh is a dirty team. You have the KVO dive at Carson's knees and now this.

It seems pretty clear what Pittsburgh is all about.

BroncoWave
11-28-2007, 07:56 PM
How can you not say it was intentional? Dude from Pitt was on a straight line for the ball, CHANGED DIRECTION to stomp on Ricky, then went for the ball. That was a blatant cheap shot if I've ever seen one. And don't give me the crap about Ricky's past. When someone commits a cheap shot, they should be punished regardless of who it was against. And for everyone criticizing Ricky's personal life, I'm sure all of you are perfect. :rolleyes:

WTE
11-28-2007, 08:05 PM
And for everyone criticizing Ricky's personal life, I'm sure all of you are perfect. :rolleyes:

Well, I'll admit that I once smoked weed but I didn't inhale.

http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/Bill_Clinton_Biography_2.jpg

NameUsedBefore
11-28-2007, 08:06 PM
The guy is looking at Williams, then he sees the ball and changes direction. It doesn't look at all intentional to me.

BroncoWave
11-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, I'll admit that I once smoked weed but I didn't inhale.

http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/Bill_Clinton_Biography_2.jpg

Bill Clinton's the MAN!

OB
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Since we all agree on my perfection..i'll stay out of this ;)

KCL
11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
The guy is looking at Williams, then he sees the ball and changes direction. It doesn't look at all intentional to me.

Well given the condition of the field...I can't say that it was
intentional...anyway it didnt look that way to me. :noidea:

WTE
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Well given the condition of the field...I can't say that it was
intentional...anyway it didnt look that way to me. :noidea:

Take a look again KCL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gQ13Sy52bQE

Even Dr. Z says it was cheap.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/11/29/williams/index.html

Stargazer
12-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Take a look again KCL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gQ13Sy52bQE

Even Dr. Z says it was cheap.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/11/29/williams/index.html

Just checked out the replay. That was totally deliberate.:tsk: Whether you like Ricky or not, his season was ended by Timmons.

NameUsedBefore
12-03-2007, 01:02 AM
I suggest looking for a video that isn't so grainy. I watched it repeatedly on NFL.com when it happened and you can clearly see the player (watch him the whole way) begin to slow down, then he sees the ball and turns to go after it and when he launches his first step to chase it he gets Williams. It hardly looks like it was done on purpose.