PDA

View Full Version : Some More Elway Magic

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 05:18 PM
John Elway has been doing a phenomenal job of acquiring talent since he took over the 4-12 talent starved Denver Broncos. We all know about Manning last year, but let's take a look at some of his moves this last offseason. This team is on a super bowl run again, and Mr. Elway is the main reason that they are. Check this out-

Free Agents-

WR Wes Welker- (2 years, 12 million). Welker has been the missing ingredient in the middle. 73 receptions, 778 yards, 10 TD's in 13 games. When healthy, he was drawing double teams on a regular basis allowing Decker to destroy one on one coverage on the outside. He was also Manning's favorite red zone target the first half of the season. Great signing that has taken this offense to record setting paces. It will be nice to see him back out there in the playoffs.

DE/LB Shaun Phillips- (1 year, 1 million w/incentives). With Von's early season suspension and season ending injury, Phillips has stepped in nicely. 10 sacks, 2 FF, and an interception in part time duty. The Broncos 2013 sack leader has been an unexpected surprise. Dollar for dollar, he's one of the best free agent signings in the NFL this season.

DT Terrance Knighton- (2 years, 4.5 million). Pot Roast has been phenomenal against the run, and surprisingly good at times in the pass rush. The Broncos tied for 7th best in YPC average against due in large part to Knighton. While other parts of the D have been suspect to say the least, the big fella has been an absolute monster in the middle.

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie- (1 year, 5 million). DRC has been every bit the shut down corner that Champ used to be. When not forced to play a zone scheme by JDR, he's taken his man completely out of the game. He'll get paid this offseason, and I hope it's Denver that does it.

CB Quinton Jammer- (1 year, 1.5 million). Jammer hasn't turned out to be the player that some thought he might. He provides veteran depth at corner and safety. It was a low risk signing that really didn't pan out as hoped.

ILB Stewart Bradley- (1 year, 1.2 million). Bradley went on the IR early with wrist injury in August.

Re-Signings-

DT Kevin Vickerson- (2 years, 5 million). Big Vick was playing at a high level and has been sorely missed since he injured his hip. This was high quality under the radar move for great value.

OT Chris Clark- (2 years, 3.48 million). Great move by the Broncos, bad move by Clark. The extension was signed just before Clady got hurt. Clark won't be mistaken for Clady, but he's done an admirable job filling in. He's been a bit inconsistent at times, but provides the Broncos with one of the best backup tackles in the league. Elway really nailed it on this one. Clark would have been an UFA at the end of the season, and would have highly sought after.

OT Ryan Clady- (5 years, 52.5 million). If the big guy can come back healthy, the Broncos have one of the top 3 LT's in the game. If he doesn't his contract is going to bite us right in the butt, although the last 2 years and 19.5 million are NOT guaranteed. It's hard to imagine how good this offense would have been with Clady in the lineup.

The Broncos are in the middle of yet another super bowl run. Nearly every player on this list has a lot to do with that. Elway still has the magic, only it's in the office and not on the field now. As this team prepares to take the field in the playoffs once again, let's give some props to the man upstairs. It's hard to believe that this team finished 4-12 just 3 years ago.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Wow, that's almost half our starting defense, and all of them big contributors (Knighton, DRC, Phillips, Vic)

BroncoWave
01-06-2014, 05:26 PM
For accuracy's sake we were 4-12, not 2-14.

DenBronx
01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
These were 2 off the best FAs offseasons that I can remember. Not to mention Elway nailed it with Von Miller in the draft prior to that AND he hand picked John Fox as the HC. He also had faith enough to put in Gase as the OC, which has already paid agressive dividends points wise.

Signing Clark to an extension prior to Clady getting hurt was a brilliant move. Makes you wonder if he has any trade value now. One year, 1.5 mill for a starting LT in this league??? Yeah that's got to intice a few teams looking to fill the void. I really didn't notice a drop off from Clady when Clark took over. Part of that has to be Manning himself....he knows when to get rid of the ball and he is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL.

DenBronx
01-06-2014, 05:30 PM
With the illness of Wolfe we really need to keep Vic and Knighton long term. These guys can stuff the run big time!

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 05:31 PM
For accuracy's sake we were 4-12, not 2-14.

Corrected. Thanks BW. Dyslexia must be setting in in my old age.

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
These were 2 off the best FAs offseasons that I can remember. Not to mention Elway nailed it with Von Miller in the draft prior to that AND he hand picked John Fox as the HC. He also had faith enough to put in Gase as the OC, which has already paid agressive dividends points wise.

Signing Clark to an extension prior to Clady getting hurt was a brilliant move. Makes you wonder if he has any trade value now. One year, 1.5 mill for a starting LT in this league??? Yeah that's got to intice a few teams looking to fill the void. I really didn't notice a drop off from Clady when Clark took over. Part of that has to be Manning himself....he knows when to get rid of the ball and he is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL.

I think so DB. I don't think you trade the guy though, unless you know for sure that Clady is back and Franklin will be re-signed. Remember that Orlando is an UFA after next season too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2014, 06:00 PM

You didn't notice a drop off when Clady went out? There are a few strip sacks that come to mind.

DenBronx
01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
I think so DB. I don't think you trade the guy though, unless you know for sure that Clady is back and Franklin will be re-signed. Remember that Orlando is an UFA after next season too.

Maybe if Franklin doesnt agree to terms we might try and slide Clark to RT then. Clady had a lisfranc injury and that concerns me for a LT.

DenBronx
01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
You didn't notice a drop off when Clady went out? There are a few strip sacks that come to mind.

Few as in 3 or more?

Only one I remember was the Colts with Matthis.

Pudge
01-06-2014, 06:11 PM
It makes me laugh to think Dumerville is sitting at home watching the playoffs on tv

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Few as in 3 or more?

Few as in two or three. You might be right, it might only be one, but it's probably one more than Clady would have given up. I just remembering thinking that the LT needed help during a few games. Clady never needs help. There were games when Clark's guy was getting to Manning in less than 3 seconds, which isn't a problem with Clady.

BroncoJoe
01-06-2014, 06:26 PM
It makes me laugh to think Dumerville is sitting at home watching the playoffs on tv

Me too.

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 06:29 PM

Seriously? Name another 3rd tackle in the NFL that wouldn't have a noticeable drop off replacing Ryan Clady. This isn't Madden.

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 06:31 PM

Yeah, it's going to be even better thinking about him watching the Broncos win the super bowl in February.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Seriously? Name another 3rd tackle in the NFL that wouldn't have a noticeable drop off replacing Ryan Clady. This isn't Madden.

I'm not sure you've read our whole dialogue. I was responding to him saying he didn't notice a drop off when Clady went out. I simply disagreed; I did notice a drop off. I agree with you. Of course there's going to be a drop off, because as you said, this isn't Madden. :D

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure you've read our whole dialogue. I was responding to him saying he didn't notice a drop off when Clady went out. I simply disagreed; I did notice a drop off. I agree with you. Of course there's going to be a drop off, because as you said, this isn't Madden. :D

Yeah, I missed that one. The drop off would be even more evident without Manning and his quick release. The guy makes any line look far better than they are in pass blocking. Clady would have made a huge difference. They rarely help Clark. It seems like the Broncos rely on Manning getting it out before the rush gets there, and refuse to make protection adjustments. It's the one complaint I have about this offense, but it's hard to complain when you're talking about the highest scoring offense in the history of the NFL.

Buff
01-06-2014, 06:46 PM

He's probably not even watching the playoffs on TV. He didn't care about winning. He cared about getting that extra $500k.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 06:50 PM
He's probably not even watching the playoffs on TV. He didn't care about winning. He cared about getting that extra $500k.

I disagree. I don't think he left for the money.

DenBronx
01-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Clarks no Clady that's for sure....but I certainly think he has played good down the stretch.

All roads lead back to making everyone look better than they are though.

Not sure the Bears have their whole OL set in stone but they might want to pick up the phone and give us a call after the season ends.

DenBronx
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM

He took less money didnt he?

Dume left out of spite. The money was pretty much in the ball park with either team. Which is why I am no longer a fan of Dumervil.

Sort of what Wes Welker did to the Pats. Elway got the last laugh by getting Phillips and Dume is now at home on the couch.

Buff
01-06-2014, 06:58 PM

I personally think he tried to game the system and it failed... Then he blamed it on a fax machine and skipped town.

But the fact remains - he left our deal on the table and took $500k more from the Ravens.

Pudge
01-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Whatever the real story he didn't want to be in Denver and eff him

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Clarks no Clady that's for sure....but I certainly think he has played good down the stretch.

All roads lead back to making everyone look better than they are though.

Not sure the Bears have their whole OL set in stone but they might want to pick up the phone and give us a call after the season ends.
How bout Clark for Daryl Washington? Both fill huge needs and both are coming to end of contract.

I'll play Madden if I want to.

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Washington signed a huge extension in September and has assault charges pending.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2014, 07:15 PM

I like a man who high five's his own post.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 07:31 PM

You're not in Denver either. :lol:

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Washington signed a huge extension in September and has assault charges pending.

It appears as though it was 2012, I think, but Washington has a $10 roster bonus that voids the remainder of his contract if they choose not to pick it up.

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 07:53 PM
The Arizona Cardinals are expected to pick up the $10 million option bonus in LB Daryl Washington's contract even though he was suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Washington would be under contract for the next four seasons if the bonus is paid and would be a free agent if the team does not pay the bonus.
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=887931-cardinals-expected-to-pick-up-daryl-washington's-bonus

He would look good in a Broncos uni, but it's not going to happen. There are a couple of nice 4 down MLBers in the upcoming draft though. With Johnny on the job, I'm beginning to enjoy the Broncos drafts once again.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2014, 07:54 PM
It appears as though it was 2012, I think, but Washington has a $10 roster bonus that voids the remainder of his contract if they choose not to pick it up.

Ten bucks, shoot, I'd pony that up.

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Didn't know which thread to put this into, so I'll just stick it here. Anyone notice that the 3 teams the Broncos lost to this season are in the second round of the playoffs?

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Didn't know which thread to put this into, so I'll just stick it here. Anyone notice that the 3 teams the Broncos lost to this season are in the second round of the playoffs?

Someone brought it up in another thread. I have no clue which one. It's a good point though.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Someone brought it up in another thread. I have no clue which one. It's a good point though.

http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_24854380/three-remaining-afc-teams-have-beaten-broncos-chargers-colts-patriots-nfl-playoffs

OrangeHoof
01-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Generally, an excellent job and I guess we also have to give some props to our drunken front office assistants. I'm not disappointed with Jammer, btw. He was signed as insurance and has generally played like it.

Clark is definitely not Clady but his value is probably very high right now and I would put out feelers this spring that he could be available in trade just to see who bites. Somebody might overpay to get him and allow us a chance to upgrade elsewhere without using a draft pick. If we can get Champ to either restructure or coax him to retire, we might have even more cap space to help out with next year's FA signings/re-signings.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Ten bucks, shoot, I'd pony that up.

Hehe.

Joel
01-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Few as in 3 or more?

How 'bout 3 in as many games:

The Colts game, where the strip-sack resulted in a safety and gave Indy the ball for a drive that ended with a TD (9 pts in a game we lost by 6.)
At home against Washington, Clark gave up a strip-sack that set up an easy TD and 21-7 'Skins lead at the start of the second half.
At SD, Clark gave up a strip-sack that gave the Bolts the ball at our 11, from whence they scored an easy TD to spark a comeback in a game where we completely dominated till then.

"Inconsistent" is an apt description of Clark; sometimes he's looked great (e.g. he shut down DeMarcus Ware so thoroughly against Dallas that they started lining Ware up on Franklin) and others he's looked awful; there's no in between. My own laymans impression is he's good against bull rushers but weak against speed rushers, so he can handle Ware all game (though Ware was fresh off an injury that sidelined him again shortly thereafter) but get taken to school by Mathis on turf.

I personally think he tried to game the system and it failed... Then he blamed it on a fax machine and skipped town.

But the fact remains - he left our deal on the table and took $500k more from the Ravens.
As I recall (and the general public's not privy to all terms of any deal, let alone all) he took LESS from the Ravens. I don't know wtf his problem was; he seemed to feel insulted we didn't blow up our whole roster to pay him more than he was worth, and after that he was going to take his ball and go home even if we DID offer more than anyone else (which we did.) Living well is the best revenge; have fun watching the playoffs, Doom.

So much for "weak" schedules, eh?

Buff
01-07-2014, 10:20 AM
How 'bout 3 in as many games:

The Colts game, where the strip-sack resulted in a safety and gave Indy the ball for a drive that ended with a TD (9 pts in a game we lost by 6.)
At home against Washington, Clark gave up a strip-sack that set up an easy TD and 21-7 'Skins lead at the start of the second half.
At SD, Clark gave up a strip-sack that gave the Bolts the ball at our 11, from whence they scored an easy TD to spark a comeback in a game where we completely dominated till then.

"Inconsistent" is an apt description of Clark; sometimes he's looked great (e.g. he shut down DeMarcus Ware so thoroughly against Dallas that they started lining Ware up on Franklin) and others he's looked awful; there's no in between. My own laymans impression is he's good against bull rushers but weak against speed rushers, so he can handle Ware all game (though Ware was fresh off an injury that sidelined him again shortly thereafter) but get taken to school by Mathis on turf.

As I recall (and the general public's not privy to all terms of any deal, let alone all) he took LESS from the Ravens. I don't know wtf his problem was; he seemed to feel insulted we didn't blow up our whole roster to pay him more than he was worth, and after that he was going to take his ball and go home even if we DID offer more than anyone else (which we did.) Living well is the best revenge; have fun watching the playoffs, Doom.

So much for "weak" schedules, eh?

You and bronx are right - he took less - but his Ravens deal offered him slightly more up front. http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/03/27/elvis-dumervil-contract-baltimore-ravens/19017/