PDA

View Full Version : A year later playoff loss still trails Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2014, 03:21 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos will now spend a football week in an odd little space between what they want to leave behind and what the city around them simply cannot, will not, let go.

Even the calendar won’t cooperate with the team because when it opens its postseason Sunday afternoon in Denver – Jan. 12 – it will be a year to the day the Broncos were ushered from last year’s Super Bowl festivus with a double-overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens on the same field where the Broncos will go to work Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

So, on one hand you have the Broncos, who have essentially answered for last winter’s playoff loss in each of the 52 weeks that have followed, trying to recognize it, acknowledge it, then push it aside to focus on the task at hand. And on the other you have a Broncos-mad region that has essentially looked at nothing else over the past year using it as the frame around the 2013 season, even as Peyton Manning and team’s offense carved up the league’s record book.

Or as former Broncos defensive end Alfred Williams put it so bluntly this past August, that the Broncos were the only team in the league “with 20 preseason games.’’

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/3731/a-year-later-playoff-loss-still-trails-broncos

Joel
01-06-2014, 03:45 PM
That loss has trailed the Broncos every inch of the way since they left the field a year ago, a procession of stunned expressions at the level of the opportunity that had just been lost. It will trail them after Sunday, no matter what the scoreboard says, until there is a win big enough to shove it aside in the minds of their faithful.
That really is the bottom line, not the records, the seeding or anything else. Manning was supposed to lead us back to the promised land; if he can't even lead us to a playoff victory in two years of trying, with the #1 seed both times, some very serious very hard questions will inevitably be raised about both him and our organization.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Lol. Sorry, but it'll be around for a while. Ask Kentucky fans about Christian Laettner.

Nomad
01-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Lol. Sorry, but it'll be around for a while. Ask Kentucky fans about Christian Laettner.

I remember watching that game.

Northman
01-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Which is why they need to come out and stomp a mudhole in their asses.

tripp
01-06-2014, 04:54 PM
That really is the bottom line, not the records, the seeding or anything else. Manning was supposed to lead us back to the promised land; if he can't even lead us to a playoff victory in two years of trying, with the #1 seed both times, some very serious very hard questions will inevitably be raised about both him and our organization.

To be fair, lets say hypothetically we lose Sunday and so on next year in the playoffs (god willing we get there again after a brutal 2014 schedule), I'd still rather this than 2 more years of Tebow. Atleast we're not a joke anymore.

slim
01-06-2014, 05:07 PM
To be fair, lets say hypothetically we lose Sunday and so on next year in the playoffs (god willing we get there again after a brutal 2014 schedule), I'd still rather this than 2 more years of Tebow. Atleast we're not a joke anymore.

To be fair, the current tally is:

playoff wins with Tebow = 1.
Playoff wins with Manning = 0.

This would not change under your scenario above.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 05:07 PM

Most likely, the last 2 years would have been Osweiler...or some other verteran until he was ready. I doubt Tebow would have still been here

tripp
01-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Ya but... my blood pressure isn't at an all time high anymore... which is nice.

tripp
01-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Most likely, the last 2 years would have been Osweiler...or some other verteran until he was ready. I doubt Tebow would have still been here

I had watched an interview with Elway and NBC, and he said that they were going to go with Tebow the following year if Peyton didn't come here. He might have just said that so all the Tebow fans don't harass him as much.

Northman
01-06-2014, 05:20 PM

Lol, yea. While im not the biggest fan of Teebs as a QB so far he does have a playoff win under his belt with the Broncos compared to Manning. The problem is with Tebow there was no expectations so the fact that we managed to make the playoffs and at least win a game says a lot and it was an exciting season. If we go one and done again this year it will be a massive disappointment and i will be none too pleased. With this QB and team i expect to make a deep run because the experience is there and we SHOULD make a legitimate run for a title. If we lose at home for the 2nd consecutive year when we have the #1 seed and homefield is unacceptable beyond all measure. How anyone could sit there and say they would be satisfied not winning any playoff games under Manning leaves me scratching my head. Manning was brought in to get us to the promise land, anything short of at the very least a AFCCG is falling way short of what was expected. Bash Tebow all you want but he did lead this team to a playoff victory whether he's a great QB or not.

BroncoWave
01-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Getting a first round bye is in effect a playoff victory, as you get to skip round 1. Manning has now done that twice compared to Tebow's once. Basically, we are penalizing Manning for being good enough in the regular season to not need a win in WC weekend to get to round two. It's pretty backward thinking if you think about it. Tebow having one more playoff win than Manning really isn't a valid argument if you actually think it through. Are you guys saying that had Manning done WORSE in the regular season, forcing us to play WC weekend both times, and we won both WC games but lost the next round, that how far he took the team would suddenly look better because it included 2 WC wins? That really doesn't make any sense.

slim
01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Lol, yea. While im not the biggest fan of Teebs as a QB so far he does have a playoff win under his belt with the Broncos compared to Manning. The problem is with Tebow there was no expectations so the fact that we managed to make the playoffs and at least win a game says a lot and it was an exciting season. If we go one and done again this year it will be a massive disappointment and i will be none too pleased. With this QB and team i expect to make a deep run because the experience is there and we SHOULD make a legitimate run for a title. If we lose at home for the 2nd consecutive year when we have the #1 seed and homefield is unacceptable beyond all measure. How anyone could sit there and say they would be satisfied not winning any playoff games under Manning leaves me scratching my head. Manning was brought in to get us to the promise land, anything short of at the very least a AFCCG is falling way short of what was expected. Bash Tebow all you want but he did lead this team to a playoff victory whether he's a great QB or not.

The number one seed losing to the 6th seed two years in a row? Not acceptable.

BroncoWave
01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
The number one seed losing to the 6th seed two years in a row? Not acceptable.

Baltimore was the 4 seed last year.

slim
01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Getting a first round bye is in effect a playoff victory, as you get to skip round 1. Manning has now done that twice compared to Tebow's once. Basically, we are penalizing Manning for being good enough in the regular season to not need a win in WC weekend to get to round two. It's pretty backward thinking if you think about it. Tebow having one more playoff win than Manning really isn't a valid argument if you actually think it through. Are you guys saying that had Manning done WORSE in the regular season, forcing us to play WC weekend both times, and we won both WC games but lost the next round, that how far he took the team would suddenly look better because it included 2 WC wins? That really doesn't make any sense.

I was just messing around. But the point is losing on Sunday is not acceptable. I would literally puke on my shoes if that happened.

slim
01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Baltimore was the 4 seed last year.

Oh, well they should have been the 6th seed, because they suck!

Northman
01-06-2014, 05:30 PM

No one is arguing that Manning isnt a great regular season QB. What was done in the regular season means squat to me because once the postseason hits everyone is 0-0 again. While earning a first round bye is great, its not actually playing a game and continuing on. If we had to play WC games the last two years i fully would of expected Manning to deliver. But, since he has yet to win a playoff game with Denver he has yet to achieve what Tebow did, for me anyway.

BroncoWave
01-06-2014, 05:30 PM
I was just messing around. But the point is losing on Sunday is not acceptable. I would literally puke on my shoes if that happened.

Oh I agree. But there are people out there (some on this board) who think that Tebow having 1 more playoff win than Manning is actually some sort of legitimate argument.

BroncoWave
01-06-2014, 05:31 PM
No one is arguing that Manning isnt a great regular season QB. What was done in the regular season means squat to me because once the postseason hits everyone is 0-0 again. While earning a first round bye is great, its not actually playing a game and continuing on. If we had to play WC games the last two years i fully would of expected Manning to deliver. But, since he has yet to win a playoff game with Denver he has yet to achieve what Tebow did, for me anyway.

So you are penalizing Manning for being too good in the regular season to not even have to play a WC game. Gotcha. Manning and Tebow both got Denver to the second round once. Actually, now twice for Manning. How they got there really isn't all that relevant.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Oh I agree. But there are people out there (some on this board) who think that Tebow having 1 more playoff win than Manning is actually some sort of legitimate argument.

How is it not? Tebow was in a win or go home situation and won. Manning was in one and lost. Who gives a shit what round it was in? Playoffs are playoffs. Period. It's not like Tebow beat some 7-9 team that backed into the playoffs

Northman
01-06-2014, 05:33 PM
So you are penalizing Manning for being too good in the regular season to not even have to play a WC game. Gotcha. Manning and Tebow both got Denver to the second round once. Actually, now twice for Manning. How they got there really isn't all that relevant.

It is for me, which is what i stated. If we dont win Sunday it will be a failure.

slim

Yeah, I suppose. It been two years though...maybe time to let it go.

Northman
How is it not? Tebow was in a win or go home situation and won. Manning was in one and lost. Who gives a shit what round it was in? Playoffs are playoffs. Period. It's not like Tebow beat some 7-9 team that backed into the playoffs

Great point.

BroncoWave

Tebow and Manning both got Denver to the second round of the playoffs. That's a fact. I don't consider winning a single game to get there more impressive than being dominant over a 16 game schedule to get there.

BroncoWave
01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
It is for me, which is what i stated. If we dont win Sunday it will be a failure.

No argument here. I'm just debating the comparisons to Tebow.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Tebow and Manning both got Denver to the second round of the playoffs. That's a fact. I don't consider winning a single game to get there more impressive than being dominant over a 16 game schedule to get there.

So sitting at home because you won a bunch of regular season games is the same as winning an actual, meaningful playoff game. I guess I dont understand the logic.

BroncoWave
01-06-2014, 05:37 PM
So sitting at home because you won a bunch of regular season games is the same as winning an actual, meaningful playoff game. I guess I dont understand the logic.

Yes, because it gets you to the exact same point. The second round.

LawDog
01-09-2014, 12:54 AM
A guy I work with is a huge Chiefs fan. Blah, blah, Chiefs are great, this and that, all season. Quieted a bit after Denver swept them. Talked to him today and he was so sick after the loss to the Colts on Saturday that he crawled into bed and didn't get up until Sunday night. He still looked like crap today - actually is physically affected by the loss.

I don't see us losing to the Chargers, especially in the way we lost to Baltimore last year. But even if we did, I won't lose the ability to function. After all, it is just football. Maybe I am getting mellow in my old age...

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2014, 01:18 AM
I think it's quite obvious that we should sign Mark Sanchez if Manning doesn't pan out this year. Dude is money in the playoffs, even on the road.

Captain Speardog
01-09-2014, 09:02 AM
rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/3731/a-year-later-playoff-loss-still-trails-broncos

That loss trailed them right into their regular season meeting with the Ravens and we saw what they did to them.

MileHighCrew
01-09-2014, 09:52 AM

No matter what side of the arguement you are on, if we don't win Sunday it is a failure. I don't see that happening thank God

TXBRONC
01-09-2014, 10:38 AM

It's not the same and it's not logical. Fact is Tebow as you stated He had to actually win a game for Denver to advance to the divisional round. It's also a fact getting a bye doesn't not go down in the books as a win. To keep arguing that a bye week in the playoffs is the same as a win is done to argumenntative.

On the fiip side Tebow has the same amount of win the divisonal round as Manning does.

Joel
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
That loss trailed them right into their regular season meeting with the Ravens and we saw what they did to them.
I kinda wish we hadn't played them again in the season opener (our first game after they ended our 2012 season) because everyone decided we'd put the playoff behind us after that, as if the Ravens had to surrender their Super Bowl Rings to us because we beat them in the first game either of us played since last year. I'd rather it gnawed at and motivated us all year and drove us to unrelenting dominant excellence ala the '96 playoff loss.

Remember the "greatest REGULAR SEASON QB ever" article that got under Mannings skin earlier this year? Manning's been dogged by that "great QB; can't win in the playoffs" rep throughout his career, and yet another one-and-done playoff performance immediately after the last would only raise the stakes. We put this to bed by winning a playoff game—and NO other way.

As for the rest... yeah, not touching He Who Must Not Be Named vs. Manning with a 10' foot pole.

TXBRONC
01-09-2014, 10:49 AM
I kinda wish we hadn't played them again in the season opener (our first game after they ended our 2012 season) because everyone decided we'd put the playoff behind us after that, as if the Ravens had to surrender their Super Bowl Rings to us because we beat them in the first game either of us played since last year. I'd rather it gnawed at and motivated us all year and drove us to unrelenting dominant excellence ala the '96 playoff loss.

Remember the "greatest REGULAR SEASON QB ever" article that got under Mannings skin earlier this year? Manning's been dogged by that "great QB; can't win in the playoffs" rep throughout his career, and yet another one-and-done playoff performance immediately after the last would only raise the stakes. We put this to bed by winning a playoff game—and NO other way.

As for the rest... yeah, not touching He Who Must Not Be Named vs. Manning with a 10' foot pole.

Season opener or not it wasn't going to go away.

Joel
01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Season opener or not it wasn't going to go away.
I hope you're right, because whether or not the team remembers last years playoffs as well as they say, everyone else does. We need to make a statement Sunday, not only to wash cleans the bitter taste of last years playoff loss, but because any team with THIS offense that can't win ONE playoff game in TWO years of trying is apt to become a laughing stock. Remember the '98 Vikings? Even THEY won ONE playoff game.