PDA

View Full Version : A story I wrote for my creative writing class

Hawgdriver
01-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Been sharing some of my creative bullshit tonight. Here's some more. Short story about a couple on a yacht in the Pacific that goes all Crichton. Some folks liked it, curious what others think.

Table for Two

"Fill me, would you?" she asks Erik, holding out her wineglass.

"More wine then? This white is as bright and cool as the sun today," Erik says, theatrically, as he obliges. "The shimmer and sparkle of the sun's rays on the ocean match the wine's dazzling hues."

"So you're thinking about giving up your mariner's avocation to become a hack sommelier?" Her eyebrow is raised.

"Of course not. I'll do both."

After a pleasant fermata of silence, during which her hair was gently teased by a Pacific breeze, he speaks. "Well, at least the weather's nice today. Another five days and we should see another uninhabited island chain. Ternbones Archipelago, it's called."

"You mean another five days of Pacific Ocean from horizon to horizon."

"Is that a hint of resentment I detect?"

"No. Yes. Well, kinda. It's just that. . . Erik, four months in a yacht on the ocean is a lot different in reality than when I imagined it back home."

"Hey, don't forget the best part: four months of me, all to yourself."

"I better drink more."

"You better get naked more."

She doesn't immediately respond. "I have to admit, that is one of the perks of being on the open sea, no one to offend if I decide to go naked all day."

"I could say something that would turn this into the longest four months known to man. Instead, I'll say you should rather decide to go naked all month."

"What were you going to say?"

"I was going to say your nakedness could offend me. I mean, you know, it's a logical possibility is all."

"That wouldn't result in the longest four months known to man. It would result in the shortest four seconds known to man, so I'm glad you aren't suicidal. They say it's the thought that counts, so here's a little token of my appreciation of your gesture."

"Ow."

She continues. "So, spending four months with you scores highly on the yay-scale, can't lie, but I am more excited about all the reading I've been able to do. It's been forever since I've had a chance to read. I used to read so much."

"Wait, I'm still back in nakedsville. Are you really going to topic shift like that?"

"You are nakedsville's mayor and citizen emeritus, and we both know you will never leave. Yes, I'm changing the topic. Besides, what would be the fun if you didn't have garments to peel?"

"She makes a good point," he says, picking up his book.

"The stars are beautiful," he says, while laying next to her atop the deck of the yacht, slightly rocking.

"The stars are wrong."

"What do you mean, wrong?"

"I mean, they are wrong. The constellations look malformed. Ok, look. There's Cassiopeia. The W. You see it?"

"Hand me see the iPad. Ok, yeah. I see it. Yeah. That's really. . .unreal. The angles of the W look wrong. And there is a bright star in the sky within the W that isn't in the app. I wonder why? Maybe a satellite? But that doesn't explain the deformed angles."

"It's probably just something in the atmosphere. A magnetic storm or sunspots or something."

"Wake up. Do you hear that?" she asks.

"Hmrm?" He is groggy. She shakes him.

"Wake up."

"What is it?" Alarmed by her alarm.

"Do you hear that noise?" A loud intermittent animal or insect noise comes from right outside the yacht's cabin. The noise is a combination of a frog's ribit and a circada's song, although unlike either one.

ZzzzffffrrrrbbbbtttTT!

"Yeah, what was it?"

"It sounds like a bird or a bug or something. Go look."

"How about no." He pulls the covers over himself.

"Erik, I can't sleep. It keeps waking me up."

"You go shoo it away."

ZzzzffffrrrrbbbbtttTT!

"Erik, just go please."

"You owe me."

Erik rises, grabs the flashlight, and goes to the door. He opens it. The flashlight flares to life.

"Erik? What is it?"

Silence.

"Erik?"

"This thing," he says, "is weird. Come look. It's. Amazing."

She walks over. He points to a dark grey tubular organism perched on the white chest freezer just outside the cabin's bulkhead. It looks like a truncated, eel-shaped lamprey with wings, coated with a sheen of amphibian ooze, like a variant of flying
fish that could be described as a bird-eel.

ZzzzffffrrrrbbbbtttTT! Its mouth opens to reveal a grey orifice with two concentric circular patterns of minute, pyramidal teeth and tiny suction cups.

"Jesus Erik. Get that thing off the boat."

Erik stands, mute, hypnotized.

"Erik! I don't like that thing. I'm going back inside."

The thing lunges and its mouth strikes Erik's forehead. The report of the impact is a wet, flat, thack. It sticks to his forehead. It does not bite, and it does not hurt.

"What the hell?" He is not quite panicked, but dumbfounded. As if at a cocktail party and vainly trying to find the proper response to a well-crafted witticism at his expense.

Erik grabs the tail, grabs a fishing knife, and slices. He tosses the free piece in the sea. The front remains adhered to his forehead. Within a minute, the suction loosens and the piece drops.

"Wow." He says. He sits, in a drug-like stupor. "This feels great."

He passes out. She drags him to the bed. She cannot sleep. After several hours, he groans and stirs.

"It should be lighter out." She says, anxious.

Erik, still lethargic, "I wonder. It's 7:45. It's after sunrise. Why is it so dark?"

"I'll look. You get some rest. That mark on your forehead looks bad."

Erik wakes and asks, "Well?"

"We might want to put on vests."

"Seems fine right now. No wind, no swells. What did you see?"

"It's raining hard. There a tall stack of clouds like saucers in the distance and I've never seen the sky so black on the horizon. The sky above is filled with clouds that are all like jelly-filled sacs with sooty bottoms."

"Nasty. The weather radar didn't say anything about Armageddon coming when I looked at it yesterday. You see any horsemen riding the wake?"

"Maybe I should take my pirate's spyglass up to the crow's nest?" She is happy he is more jovial.

"Funny. Well. Let's ride into it! Who knows? It might be interesting." Erik says, with an odd twinkle.

"Erik, if that's a joke, I'm not laughing."

Erik stares at the chicken enchilada on his plate. He had asked again to steer the yacht directly into the center of the storm that now shrouds the sky overhead.

"Did that weird flying fish eel thing suck the common sense out of your brain?"

"No. I can't explain it. I just. . .know we need to go there."

Lightning flashes intrude into the yacht's well-lit galley. Fat raindrops continue to splatter the windows and roof.

"Erik, you are being creepy. If this is your attempt to add to the atmosphere, I think the atmosphere is more than enough by itself."

"Michelle, I feel different. I feel more transparent. More ephemeral. I know that makes no sense."

"Erik, get some sleep. Something in that bird-eel thing is affecting you and probably needs attention. I'll update the ship's nav to take us to the nearest medical facility. And I'll see what I can find online about those things."

"I love you Michelle."

The swell begins to rock the yacht, and the wind bares jagged teeth. The eerie storm twilight veils the daylight hours until true darkness revisits the lone vessel on the endless tract of undulating sea.

She enters the cabin. Erik is inside. She closes the door to the dimly lit cabin, and the howl of wind and rain is cut off. She is rain-soaked, refreshed, adventuresome.

"I couldn't find anything," she pants, "about that . . . flying fish bird-eel thing . . . online. We might have discovered a new species. I posted a pic in a few forums, but no one has seen anything like it. It's actually pretty exciting."

Erik does not respond, but watches, as the ship lurches over a large swell.

"So, the rain stopped, but the wind has picked up. And I think I can hear those things starting to chirp or croak or whatever it is they do. Oh, I set a course that should keep us clear of the brunt of this weather."

"Yes, they are coming." Erik's voice was expressionless, journalistic. Another large swell, another upheaval of the vessel.

"Erik, what are you talking about? You sound like an omen speaker from a horror movie. Who is coming?"

"They are coming to feed."

She braces herself against the rocking ocean.

"Who? Those bird-eels?"

"No, the flying lamprey are only a manifestation meant to allow physical contact, they are not the existence itself. The existence has no name. They require no identity. Identity is a concept they apprehend but do not use. There is no they. A human mind must project their existence into a pronoun, a they, because that is a limitation of human understanding. Perhaps you can call this existence a Voidharmony."

She nearly stumbles from a sudden and violent wave, but catches her balance on a nearby table.

"Erik, we're six days from the nearest medical care."

It does not register with Erik. Pulses of lightning are caught in his face. The light dissolves into the abyss of his eyes.

"They exist both collectively and individually at once."

Booming thunder.

"Jesus Erik, you are really freaking me out. I'll get you some Tylenol PM. I hope that doesn't have an adverse reaction to the LSD you are apparently taking." False, anxious humor.

"No, I must go. I will meet you again in the void." Erik rises from the bed, departs from within the yacht's cabin and goes onto the raucous deck, then walks into solar blackness, and is gone from her sight.

Minutes pass, and Erik does not return. Michelle cannot find him. She takes the flashlight with her to the engine room. Her hand controls the flashlight's circle that turns the room's black nothingness into visual objects. A diesel engine. Metal grates on the floor. The oval window of illumination scythes through the darkness, leaving darkness in its wake. She sees something but it doesn't register until her beam has passed it. It was Erik, looking at her. She brings the beam back. There is only a
first aid kit.

"Jesus, I'm starting to lose it now."

She completes her search of the vessel, and finds that Erik is no longer there.

She is returning, crossing the stormy deck, to the ship's bridge. Mere walking is a form of combat with the violent swells. Now she needs both hands to maintain balance. With her free hand she swats away a dumb bird-eel, like an oversized gnats.
She reaches the door to the bridge.

Once inside the bridge, she sits behind the wheel in the captain's chair. She sees bird-eels swarming around the ship's running lights, like moths. The hours pass and their number increase. There are now so many that they fill the sky like a plague.
Their chirping aggregates into a cacophonous roar that overwhelms Michelle's ability to hear herself think. Her mind surrenders, and she sleeps.

Sudden silence jerks her awake. It is bright outside. The ocean is still. The sky is empty.

The screen to a navigation computer shows Erik's face, staring at Michelle. He is waiting for her to awaken. He is sitting on their living room couch in Minnesota.

"Hello Michelle." His voice comes across the Bose speaker system in the bridge.

She does not understand how the nav display can show a video feed. She does not understand how Erik can be in Minnesota when an airline flight would have taken longer than the period since his disappearance.

"Erik? Is that you?"

"Michelle, are you ready to join us in the Voidharmony?"

"I don't understand. What is happening?"

"We require nourishment, like you. Just as you may eat an apple to sustain yourself, we must sustain ourselves by your essence."

"What do you mean, my essence?"

"What you call your soul. The will that affords your human identity."

On the preternaturally still ocean, she was capsized by a wave of cosmic fear.

"What are you?"

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. If that is intractable for you, then perhaps you will better understand that there are cracks in the human experience that cannot be put into words."

"Why me?"

"You might ask the same of the chicken you ate last night."

"This makes no sense to me. This isn't real. This isn't real."

Erik adopts a nurturing tone.

"You humans believe you understand nature. To an extent, you do. There are limits to your understanding. You believe the world conforms to a known set of laws. In physics, for example, you believe that there are four fundamental forces: the
strong interaction, the electromagnetic force, the weak force, and the gravitational force. This is not incorrect, but it is not complete. There is at least another fundamental force, that of independent will, and it is this force that allows our
existence. We can manipulate this force and project our being onto yours.

You want reason. You want logic to justify our existence and our purpose. Just as you scour your earth and find sustenance, we scour the dimensions of your existence for sustenance. Now, we have found a pocket of nourishment, and we must
feed. However, we prefer the consent of the essence we seek to harvest, or it is too. . .sour. . .when consumed.
Look outside, dear."

Erik sits on a picnic blanket atop the still ocean. It is the same picnic blanket from the joyful fourth of July evening when Eric made love to her at that secret spot no one knew while they watched the fireworks. She realizes this was her favorite memory. He waves at her, lifts a wineglass. Join me.

The Bose speaker system dances again, to hidden strings, but the voice is not Erik's, it is not human. "You will surrender your identity, but you will partake in all memories sacred and forgotten. Erik freely chose to join. Had he chosen otherwise, he would have chosen forgetfulness.

Now you choose."

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 10:32 AM
it's great

Buff
01-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Great stuff - love the philosophical undertones. I love how you developed the scene. It was a really engaging read.

If I were to offer up any constructive critique, I would suggest really honing in on the dialogue. At times it felt a little stilted. I think it's also a good exercise for any writer to try and avoid explaining as the narrator and instead incorporate more descriptive actions and dialogue to convey your point. So, for example, even though I love the line "On the preternaturally still ocean, she was capsized by a wave of cosmic fear." - I'd rather experience that fear through the character instead of being told she is fearful.

Anyway, I am nitpicking, because I thoroughly enjoyed how descriptive you were... But I think it would be a good challenge for you as you re-write to rely less on dialogue modifiers.

I was looking for something to brush up on some dialogue writing tips - and I like the exercises this site suggests. http://www.poewar.com/12-exercises-for-improving-dialogue/

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
stick to your day job Hawg

(no, I'll get around to reading this, just not in the correct frame of mind at the moment

Hawgdriver
01-06-2014, 01:35 PM
it's great

troll

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:36 PM
troll

lil bit

Hawgdriver
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Great stuff - love the philosophical undertones. I love how you developed the scene. It was a really engaging read.

If I were to offer up any constructive critique, I would suggest really honing in on the dialogue. At times it felt a little stilted. I think it's also a good exercise for any writer to try and avoid explaining as the narrator and instead incorporate more descriptive actions and dialogue to convey your point. So, for example, even though I love the line "On the preternaturally still ocean, she was capsized by a wave of cosmic fear." - I'd rather experience that fear through the character instead of being told she is fearful.

Anyway, I am nitpicking, because I thoroughly enjoyed how descriptive you were... But I think it would be a good challenge for you as you re-write to rely less on dialogue modifiers.

I was looking for something to brush up on some dialogue writing tips - and I like the exercises this site suggests. http://www.poewar.com/12-exercises-for-improving-dialogue/

Thanks for feedback. This story was an exercise, telling a story through dialogue. I know what you mean about the stilted stuff, especially in the beginning.

The exercises are great, especially dialogue between liars.

Do you write?

Hawgdriver
01-06-2014, 01:41 PM
stick to your day job Hawg

(no, I'll get around to reading this, just not in the correct frame of mind at the moment

What if I have no day job, did you think about that?

Buff
01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
This story is an exercise, telling a story through dialogue. I know what you mean about the stilted stuff, especially in the beginning.

The exercises are great, especially dialogue between liars.

Do you write?

I used to be a writer by trade, but I got burnt out by the tediousness of always creating something from scratch on deadline, and then constantly being critiqued. Which explains why I was so desperate to critique someone else. ;)

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:46 PM
What if I have no day job, did you think about that?

stick to your night job? :crossesfingers:

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:48 PM
I used to be a writer by trade, but I got burnt out by the tediousness of always creating something from scratch on deadline, and then constantly being critiqued. Which explains why I was so desperate to critique someone else. ;)

writing (technical anyway) can kinda suck in the regard that you just mention. burnout. and my colleagues hate me because of my , so they rip me methodology (yes, I can even write in an Irish brogue) apart any chance that they get.

MOtorboat
01-06-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm going to actually disagree with Buff, a little. I thought the dialogue flowed, but the narration, I'm guessing omnipresent third person, almost seemed too detached to the story with the present tense, rather than a narrator recounting the story.

Maybe it was the present tense, and maybe that's what you were asked to do in the exercise, but for example:

She doesn't immediately respond. "I have to admit, that is one of the perks of being on the open sea, no one to offend if I decide to go naked all day."

Vs.

She didn't immediately respond. "I have to admit, that is one of the perks of being on the open sea, no one to offend if I decide to go naked all day."

Flows better to me. But that's a personal preference, too.

Hawgdriver
01-06-2014, 08:05 PM
To some degree, successful writing is offending the fewest people possible. Thanks for the read.

Hawgdriver
01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
On the other hand, offend no one, be safe, be boring.

MOtorboat
01-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Read that blog that Buff linked to, and there was some real good stuff there. As someone who writes for a newspaper everyday, the "said" rule is something I'm very used to and use maybe to a fault when I write creatively.

The other one worth mentioning refers to Buff's comment about dialogue, and speech patterns. When I'm interviewing people, all the time they say to me, 'clean that up for me,' and I tell them no, because it ends up sounding like a stilted press release, which just sucks (wish I could come up with a more literary way to say it, lol). When you say something out loud it sounds entirely different than when you write it, re-write it and poor over it for hours.

MOtorboat
01-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Sorry...interesting this thread popped up this week. I hadn't written anything creatively for months, and then wrote this Friday night. Not sure where I'm going with it, but I wrote it after remembering seeing some high-school aged kids hanging out on a rock on a float trip two summers ago.

“Yeah, but what’s going to become of us, Dave? Are we even going to remember all this?”

“Oh, **** that. We’re not going to spend this summer talking about dumb shit like that.”

But we were. It was halfway through our final summer together, at least in that serene childhood setting where no one had serious jobs and we all still thought we were running from authority. We’d spent the half of it wondering what was next, even though most of us knew.

But Dave didn’t. That was the irony. He was the one whose future was just unknown.

Cal was going to college. Eventually, he would turn a pre-law degree from the U into being a high-priced corporate lawyer in Chicago. Two-point-five kids, white-picket fence in the ‘burbs. It was a predetermined future. Hell, it might have been the past before it was the future.

“That makes no ******* sense,” Cal said.

“What makes no ******* sense?” Dave was mocking him.

“Well, we’ve spent half the summer staring at these falls hoping some hot chick would come by that we somehow didn’t ******* know, and talking about the end of August. And it’s near the ******* end of July.”

“Jeez. You make it sound so dire.”

Dave was always the one who “didn’t give a ****,” but we all knew he did. Or thought we knew he did. His mother died when he was a kid. Some bad accident before he moved to town – he didn’t talk about it much. His father was an alcoholic, who waltzed into town about once every six months proclaiming his sobriety to everyone and always talking about some new job he had in Omaha.

When Dave was younger he always tried to sneak Dave away and take him back to Omaha. The few times he actually got out of town, he’d show back up in town a few hours later, most times with a police escort.

It was like one of those ******* Academy Award winning movies that everyone goes to and cries about and hyperbolically praises the new childhood star who plays the kid and the old, downtrodden actor who revitalized his career by playing the drunk dad.

But it was Dave’s life. Yet Dave somehow always rose above it all. Had better grades. Won the ******* sports trophy. Except for the run ins with the law. That must have just run in the family.

But when it came to college, Dave turned down all the scholarships.

I’m not college material, he would always tell us. We knew it was a lie. He was the best and the brightest. Never could figure him out.
“**** this. Let’s go.”

“Where we going Dave?” I asked, lifting my head up off the rock.

“****’d if I know. Not here.”

Hawgdriver
11-03-2016, 12:07 AM
I'm still fiddling with this story. The hardest thing is the treatment of this being that exists beyond human ken.

Hawgdriver
11-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Sorry...interesting this thread popped up this week. I hadn't written anything creatively for months, and then wrote this Friday night. Not sure where I'm going with it, but I wrote it after remembering seeing some high-school aged kids hanging out on a rock on a float trip two summers ago.

You wrote that? Wow. You are gifted dude.

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 01:02 AM
I am musing tonight on the possibility of a novel or similar long form of fiction.

My problem is that I obsess on the big ideas instead of interesting stories. The passion I want to share is my own relationship to existence, but this is hard in practice. HP Lovecraft did a passable job of it.

Here are some notes from my brainstorming tonight.

Different levels of rationality.
Different axiomatic systems. Different logic forms. Godel.
Spectra. Unlimited spectra. What is a spectra.
Creation. Creating new spectra.
Time, the nowness, tracking identity
Memory as identity and meaning
Something beyond void and form.
Anxiety because aware and this is first precept of existence, the axiom
A nothingness so profound and powerful. Like the assertive force that insists on mindlessness when breath counting, but its boss's boss. A black hole with a gravity pull of consciousness beyond anything, no entity-ness allowed. But then the thing that insists on that rule.
But what of the space between matter, isn't this just nothingness?
Could it be that a true nothingness is the dimensional structure itself, the scaffolding that is itself barren of shape and form. That is, the mere existence of three dimensions, no matter or mass or energy implied, nothing to be contained, but just the dimensionality. Isn't this the most empty of things? Without that spatial framework, existence is a closed warmness. It is the creation of possibility and location that invites the loneliness of void.
So what are the next set of locational (location as metaphor) dimensions?
What about an endless set of dimensions that resulted in beings that never died and would likely never encounter other beings? In time space and so on. In dimensions unknown.
There are beings that do not die. They are apart from our three dimensional space and apart from time.
The rules, laws of existence...in our case physical laws. A reality where they are laws only because it's one possibility of laws and nothing has shifted to require other laws.

Poet
05-04-2017, 01:15 AM
Hawg, I have a book I'm writing for funsies. Our dialogue is kind of similar.

Buff
05-04-2017, 11:32 AM
I am musing tonight on the possibility of a novel or similar long form of fiction.

My problem is that I obsess on the big ideas instead of interesting stories. The passion I want to share is my own relationship to existence, but this is hard in practice. HP Lovecraft did a passable job of it.

A nothingness so profound and powerful. Like the assertive force that insists on mindlessness when breath counting, but its boss's boss. A black hole with a gravity pull of consciousness beyond anything, no entity-ness allowed. But then the thing that insists on that rule.
Could it be that a true nothingness is the dimensional structure itself, the scaffolding that is itself barren of shape and form. That is, the mere existence of three dimensions, no matter or mass or energy implied, nothing to be contained, but just the dimensionality. Isn't this the most empty of things? Without that spatial framework, existence is a closed warmness. It is the creation of possibility and location that invites the loneliness of void.
What about an endless set of dimensions that resulted in beings that never died and would likely never encounter other beings? In time space and so on. In dimensions unknown.
There are beings that do not die. They are apart from our three dimensional space and apart from time.
The rules, laws of existence...in our case physical laws. A reality where they are laws only because it's one possibility of laws and nothing has shifted to require other laws.

Was there any psilocybin involved here? Some pretty existential stuff goin on. I like it.

Regarding your challenge of distilling big ideas down to interesting stories... Maybe try a bottom-up brainstorm to complement this top-down version. Write bits of dialogue, or short 1-2 page "stories/scenes" that get at any of these principles, no matter how disconnected they are. One Tim Ferris principle that's always resonated for me is that if you write 30 pages of nonsense and 1 page of it has legs - that's exactly what you needed to get to that page.

I also listened to the latest BS pod with Matt Stone and Trey Parker and they said that most of their writing comes out of a single ridiculous concept - they write a one minute scene (usually 2 pages) and then go from there not knowing if it's the beginning, middle, end, etc.

Your top down exercise gives you a good menu of topics to start from.

Hawgdriver
10-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Anyone written anything lately?

BeefStew25
10-12-2017, 05:34 PM
No, but I have a great idea for a novel.

Hawgdriver
10-12-2017, 05:56 PM
No, but I have a great idea for a novel.

Spill it.

BeefStew25
10-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Spill it.

I don’t want to get vulnerable here. Do you text?

WTE
10-12-2017, 05:59 PM
I wrote a good short story in high school.

Hawgdriver
08-16-2018, 11:41 PM

It's come together and now I'm writing a novel. Genre is horror but it's more of a 'this could really happen' type approach to it. Near future science fiction in recognizable US that turns into an apocalyptic dystopia with survival/adventure/wilderness sprinkled with massive armed conflict, AI stuff, eh...there are going to be some cool things. What I'm most stoked about is the central mechanic of the main antagonist that will certainly land the book squarely in the horror genre gives me a lot of play to be...well...novel. I just have to make sure it's the mindbending, surreal-but-vivid type of novelty and not the 'w t _?' type.

The only depressing thing is that even though this is something I feel I must do, the ROI per hour is awful--even if I manage to publish and sell and find moderate success. Really, I got to this point because I just can't find the type of story that I want to read, so maybe I'm supposed to write it.

At some point I need to hit up G and glean his wisdom, and I think Davii mentioned his wife penned at least one book. I'm all ears for advice and dire warnings. Fortunately for me, a friend is an author and owner of a regional bookseller, so he'll be a great resource.

Now I just have to finish writing the damned thing, instead of talking about it like this.

Hawgdriver
09-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Hey, so, if anyone can help, let me know what you think about this character introduction in terms of general ability and whether you would enjoy this kind of writing. It's about 40 pages or so in, and the initial mishap and fallout are becoming more evident.

Ryan Ward watched on horseback as the dawn colors claimed the sky. The sun was not yet risen and a chill pervaded all. Below the squat mesa on which Ryan’s horse stood, the West Texas scrubland was a dark watercolor of umber and viridian that would become sienna and olive when the arid plains were fully undressed in day’s light. A pickup truck a mile off, travelling parallel to the horizon, spit a dust plume from its wheels as it drove north on the county road. The truck drove out of Ryan’s sight but the dust remained, hovering.

A few hours earlier, Ryan awoke to an alarm he had set to trigger in response to any sudden and massive global market fluctuation. This alarm wasn’t meant to warn him of danger to his assets, he no longer played that game, it was meant to warn him of a danger more serious: possible financial system collapse.

He saw that the electricity was off for virtually all of the United States except Texas. That Texas was unaffected, Ryan thought, would make these Texans even more insufferable about their state pride. Well, looks like they got this one right, so can’t blame them. He had saddled his favorite horse, Ukase, and came out here to think.

The exchange rate of the euro and the dollar was the particular marker that triggered Ryan’s alarm. Others soon followed. Ryan’s first task was to figure out if this was a normal market reaction to the obvious financial damage that would arise from a nation without electricity or if it was being amplified by concerted action to unseat the US dollar as the world’s reserve currency. What he discovered convinced him it was.

Worse, there were widespread reports of irrational behavior that went well beyond what would be expected during a financial crisis: scores of murders, assaults, and even unprompted proclamations by high-ranking national officials that steered their country toward armed conflict. In most cases, the report would mention an individual acted psychotic or delusional. Ryan saw the same fingerprint over and over, reports of the culprit ‘seeing things’ or ‘talking to an imaginary person’.

Well, shit, something serious is going down.

Ryan had spent years as a trader in the hedge fund industry before he had made his nut and decided to unplug. If money was the world’s blood, he had been working close to the heart. Coding high-frequency trading algorithms, implementing cryptocurrencies as self-executing hedges, working currency and commodity desks, creating banking system models that simulated financial disaster within the Basel III framework, mapping dark wealth ecosystems, all these and more had been Ryan’s expertise during his time as a hired gun for some of the world’s elite money managers.

Ryan had come to appreciate the benefits of this financial vascular system while coming to understand the real danger of something throwing a clot and bringing it all down. At first, to Ryan, it seemed like a system that used a dollar to create a hundred dollars of economic activity was dangerously unstable. In time, Ryan accepted the trust and industry the system afforded, even if he begrudged his own lack of personal control regarding the process. He may not directly receive the dividends of owning the plumbing to the world’s de-facto monetary system, but without that system, he would not have made as much money as he did.

But not everyone was agreeable to extending this circulatory system to the farthest reaches of modern civilization, and that was why he unplugged and prepared for the worst. After leaving the game five years ago, Ryan had become ‘one of those guys’: a survivalist. A prepper.

He found some nice acreage between Abilene and San Angelo and built a house. He dabbled in horses. He became a gun enthusiast. He learned how to gut a chicken. He applied his formidable computer programming acumen to hacking. He bought an airplane. He bought some other land that no one knew about in case he had to bug out.

So after the massive drop in value of the dollar against the euro, Ryan tested several hypotheses and found evidence that this catastrophe was being used as a catalyst for a coup on the western financial system’s hegemony. Whether or not the blackout was engineered or coincidental, a host of precise actions were being taken to amplify its financial effect. Like a laser-guided airstrike aimed at a particular window of a building, the moves being made carried an embedded signal that the ones making the moves did so with intent and knowledge of the target.

The clot in the system was dislodged, and soon it would find a coronary artery.

Ryan had come out into the brisk pre-dawn atop Ukase to clear his mind and think. Now he had thought it through and concluded: this probably means war.

A pinpoint blaze of sun appeared on the horizon, an odd lighthouse on the wastelands. Ryan steered Ukase gently down the slope toward his shelter in advance of the gathering heat.

Hawgdriver
09-21-2018, 11:14 PM
Ok then.

Well maybe this is interesting.

I have a character, and she's important. She's an underpowered nobody, a trust fund girl that wants to prove herself to daddy, she's a survivalist with a wild streak. She's going to face a mortal crisis by something from outside of reality and existence as humans know it, something that challenges her own cognizance of agency and free will, her own definition of herself. She needs to prevail.

I just want a theme song to help guide my writing.

MOtorboat
09-22-2018, 12:01 AM
Ok then.

I have a character, and she's important. She's an underpowered nobody, a trust fund girl that wants to prove herself to daddy, she's a survivalist with a wild streak. She's going to face a mortal crisis by something from outside of reality and existence as humans know it, something that challenges her own cognizance of agency and free will, her own definition of herself. She needs to prevail.

What age is she in and what era? Is she an old soul?

Hawgdriver
09-22-2018, 12:19 AM
What age is she in and what era? Is she an old soul?

Setting is very near future, maybe 5 years from now. She's early 20's. She's terribly clever and dominates her testosterone-fueled bf by wit and moxie, although she has a soft spot for him. She would be a good trivia partner at a bar competition, she has all this useless info. Likes to throw down with some arcane knowledge. But she's not afraid of being thrown in with the sharks, not afraid of a harrowing ordeal. She wants to prove herself.

MOtorboat
09-22-2018, 12:27 AM
Setting is very near future, maybe 5 years from now. She's early 20's. She's terribly clever and dominates her testosterone-fueled bf by wit and moxie, although she has a soft spot for him. She would be a good trivia partner at a bar competition, she has all this useless info. Likes to throw down with some arcane knowledge. But she's not afraid of being thrown in with the sharks, not afraid of a harrowing ordeal. She wants to prove herself.

Patti Smith - Because the Night.

Hawgdriver
09-22-2018, 12:30 AM
Patti Smith - Because the Night.

That song is perfect for her. You nailed it. But I want more from her somehow.

Hawgdriver
09-22-2018, 12:30 AM
Or maybe I need to understand her better.

MOtorboat
09-22-2018, 12:33 AM
But I want more from her somehow.

Consider that the start of her character build...or maybe that is the character, ie, that’s her problem.

Hawgdriver
09-22-2018, 12:35 AM
Consider that the start of her character build...or maybe that is the character, ie, that’s her problem.

Agree.

Part of it is also the author question--what song do I want to guide me as I explore this? Not so much the song that is her anthem but rather the song that I want a reader to feel as I write about her passage.

BroncoJoe
09-22-2018, 07:39 AM
Ok then.

Edge of 17 - Stevie Nicks.

Hawgdriver
10-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Hey. If anyone has a moment, see if this intro pulls you in. I am especially curious if the vulgarity is too offensive. I know that my published/successful author friend and his publishers would treat it like Dracula treats garlic, but I'm having a tough time conforming to PC convention. You'll see what I mean. I'm fine taking it out, but I need perspective if you want to grant it. Anyways, apologies that there's no spooky stuff in the first 2k words, but it's right around the corner.

Cheers.

Will would, in later years and when once again human, relive this very moment. There was nothing special or unique about it. Sometimes the mind just etches a bookmark of its sensory impressions.

But if there was a main reason, it was the pairing of Will’s mood—flush with whim after school on a Friday—and the beautiful day. The sun was powerful and still high upon a blue dome with no white. Will was reading a Vandermeer novel, reclined on the odd and inviting oak tree along the property’s creek. The shade of the oak leaves gave shelter to Will’s eyes, at least until the wind danced with the boughs and the sun’s rays forced a squint. The day was warm from the sun but cold from the wind, and Will would alternate wearing his pullover or not. Suspended and blown about were the airs of sage, oak lichen, and most of all, possibility.

This is nearly perfect, went his stray thought, I wonder if I will remember this.

Will enjoyed the book when he could concentrate, but he couldn’t. He was distracted in equal parts by the beauty of nature and his anticipation of meeting with Heidi tomorrow. He had been infatuated with her for three or four years, since middle school, along with perhaps every other person in whatever school she might attend. She was movie-star beautiful but friendly. His attempt to get close to her in middle school had been a humiliating disaster. Most of these last few years had been ad-hoc social triage to his own image and reputation. He didn’t know what he was doing—he coveted the respect of others but maintained an indifference to it. He didn’t know if it was working, but he was happy that he was finally meeting with Heidi tomorrow to go on a run to prepare for a cross-country meet. Best of all, it was her idea.

His mood crashed when he heard the rumble of his dad’s Ford diesel. Will saw dirt plume of the pickup truck about a mile out from the property. He became anxious and thought he might be in trouble for something, but what that thing was he did not know.

Will lingered by the creek until well after his dad arrived. The creek was a ways down from the house, and not in sight of it. Will returned to the book and, in time, the raft of his mind floated along its currents. The sun lowered toward the horizon.

He heard the crunch of boots on desiccated oak leaves and twigs. He caught a waft of weed and beer.

“I thought I might find you down here,” said Will’s dad.

“Hey dad.”

“Watcha reading there?”

“Kind of a spooky sci-fi novel. Weird but I like it,” Will said.

“Yeah, that sounds like you alright.” Will’s dad said, using a tablespoon of good-nature and a pinch of disapproval. “Hey, I found that orange box of yours.”

Will’s dad, Joe, was a recently retired military badass—some kind of special forces or similar elite commando type. Old school, but unorthodox. Results at the expense of decorum and niceties. Perpetually disfavored by the institutional rearguard except when needed most. Will preferred it when his dad was deployed or otherwise away. Now he was home with empty hours and his intense manner led him to a preoccupation with alcohol and the leaf—and fresh interest in Will’s affairs. Will preferred to keep his affairs to himself. He somewhat liked his dad but was beyond ready to move on from his overbearing presence and move out.

“Orange box?” Will asked.

“Don’t act like you don’t know,” spoken as a threat. “I know you’re smoking pot. I found your orange box. Now tell me the truth. You’re smoking pot, aren’t you?”

Joe moved his body to square his shoulders with Will’s frame, intent to fight. Joe’s posture indicated a readiness for sudden, deadly conflict—body poised to strike and eyes fixed to depose his prey. Will demurred by angling his shoulders away from his dad, but he did meet and hold his eyes. Will thought his dad was always too over-the-top. Will forgave his father too readily.

“I. Have. No. Idea. What. You. Are. Talking. About.” Will said. “What orange box?” Will was confused and indignant. “I don’t smoke pot and don’t know what you are talking about.”

Will then squared to his father. If Will held this pose on a stage, the audience would recognize him as the justified martyr awaiting execution after voicing his righteous exculpation.

Joe cocked his head slightly and gave Will a squinty-eyed look. “You bullshitting me?”

Will, exasperated, said no, he wasn’t.

“And you still say you’re not a fag? I know what you did.”

At this, Will’s body deflated. He was tired of granting pardons for all of his dad’s trespasses. Not for the first time, he wondered if the relationship was worth the effort. He had often considered running away, but to where? Back to his mom? Better to finish up high school and get the hell out. As much as Will detested his father, he appreciated the structured environment. Will, like his father, had a tendency toward self-destructive intemperance—which is why he was living with his father in the first place. Will walked over his mother and left her with no choice but to ship him off to his father and his father’s discipline.

“Don’t just stare at me, son. I asked you a question and I have a right to know.”

Will knew, objectively, that his father’s statement was laughable in front of a jury of peers. But there was no such jury here, and Will was intimidated by his dad.

Hawgdriver
10-22-2019, 02:20 PM
con't
“Look. I’m not gay, and I’m not smoking pot. Are we done here?”

Joe held the squinty-eyed stare for a long moment, then broke it off with a skeptical smirk and something like a merry twinkle in his eye. Like nothing had happened. “I had to ask. Just because I love you. Don’t get pissed, I’m just trying to make sure you’re on track.”

Will just wanted to be away. He felt vaguely violated. “Uh huh,” he might have said, but was distracted by a movement at the corner of his eye. One of their Rottweilers was running full-tilt toward the barbed wire fencing at the north edge of the property. Joe noticed Will’s focus shift and turned to look.

“Oh shit. BRUNO!!” Joe called after his dog, without effect. A neighbor’s pitbull had wandered onto the property and was pissing.

Joe bolted for a nearby ATV.

Bruno was all cruise missile, mach vectors toward the target. The pitbull, whose owner was watching from the other side of the fence, saw Bruno. The pitbull scampered back onto its own property and continued to flee away from Bruno.

Bruno shot under the barbed wire and continued pursuit.

Joe opened the throttle on the ATV and raced toward Bruno.

A gunshot rang out. Bruno fell over. His front paws and right rear leg worked against the ground, his left hind leg useless. He was just lifting himself from the ground when the neighbor walked up to him and executed him with a gunshot to the head. Bruno went still. Bruno was a good dog.

Joe neared the fence on the ATV and locked the wheels to a skidding stop. Joe hopped off the ATV and strode toward the property line, bowed up and elbows out like extra-wide pickup truck side mirrors. Male dominance incarnate.

Will jogged over to witness the confrontation.

The neighbor, Will recalled his surname was Molter, spoke. “Your dog came on my property and threatened my life, *******.” Will remembered that Molter and his dad had some minor beef going back years but couldn’t recall what it was about.

Molter still held the handgun by his side. Molter had come out here in his pickup truck, parked close by.

Joe continued to advance toward the fence. In a voice laden with the promise of grave bodily harm, he threatened Molter: “You need to put that fvcking gun away right now before you make a mistake you can’t recover from, n1ggerkvnt.”

Molter was white, but that didn’t matter to Joe, also white. Joe, Will knew, grew up street fighting in rough neighborhoods. The trick, as far as Will could infer from seeing his dad do this on at least one other occasion, was creating fear and incapacitating the opponent’s will to fight by convincing the other of one’s willingness to defy convention and rules. Joe’s tone of voice was the back-of-the-throat lowing of an alley cat, an unmistakable warning of violence.

Joe continued. “I’m coming across this fence and I’m going to take that gun and buttfvck you with it, pissfvck.” Joe kept a steady momentum of implacable violence. Each detail of speech was honed to perfection, the fricatives and affricates sharpened and sculpted to points and hurled with audible effect. Joe used his voice as a sort of musical instrument of violence, and the dynamics of that voice promised mayhem and invoked despair. There was, Will admitted, a certain creative genius to this intimidation.

Molter halfway raised the handgun as Joe slipped across the barbed wire, but couldn’t raise it further than that. A urine patch bloomed at Molter’s crotch. Molter must have been drunk to instigate this confrontation, and how Molter realized his foolishness. “Oh shit, I’m sorry,” Molter said.

Joe walked all the way up to him, streaming more of the crippling obscenity and firing shocking gestures of impending violence. He arrived at Molter, who was by now already defeated. Joe popped Molter in the face with a sudden fist, somehow unexpected and disguised despite the obvious foreshadowing. Molter dropped. “Get up, bitch,” Joe said.

Molter rose, showing complete submission.

Joe equivocated, apparently torn between a need to fully punish Molter and other considerations that Will didn’t know. Joe took the handgun from Molter and put it behind his waist. He grabbed Molter by the lapels.

“Here’s what we are going to do, Molter. You go get that dog of yours, and you put him down. Do it now.” Molter’s pitbull had fled toward Molter’s house, several hundred yards away.

“That ain’t right! A man doesn’t just kill his own dog like that!”

“I don’t give a shit. You killed my dog and we need justice. This might not be perfect, but it will do. Let’s go get him.”

Joe’s cell phone rang. Joe began to ignore it, but then he thought better. “Yeah?” Joe said into the phone. Molter began to get in his truck but Joe grabbed him. To the other end of the phone, Joe said “Can this wait? I’ve got a situation I need to deal with…Fine. Bye.”

Joe released Molter. “We’ll finish this later, fvckhead.” Joe dismissively pushed Molter into his truck, but with a keen awareness of Molter’s balance, so that Molter tripped and fell awkwardly. Joe squatted down and picked up Bruno, the dead dog’s blood ruining Joe’s expensive silk shirt.

“Ah, fvck.” Joe lamented, about Bruno, the shirt did not concern him. Will couldn’t be certain, but it looked like his dad was crying, or was stifling the urge to do so. “Will, come give me a hand,” Joe called, his voice slightly hitching. “fvck! Fvck that Molter.”

Joe put Bruno in the cargo bin in the back of the ATV and rode back to the house. He would bury Bruno near the garden, or maybe he would have Will dig the hole. A call that could interrupt that confrontation had to be urgent. Will had to guess that it was military-related.

Will walked back toward the house.

Valar Morghulis
10-22-2019, 02:22 PM
I would remove the words bad ass it seems out of context with the rest of your vernacular

I see no vulgarity

Hawgdriver
10-22-2019, 02:26 PM
I would remove the words bad ass it seems out of context with the rest of your vernacular

I see no vulgarity

Fixed!

Valar Morghulis
10-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Fixed!

Now I see the vulgarity!

Hawgdriver
10-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Now I see the vulgarity!

I think if I kiss enough progressive ass, you know, have lots of sexually wayward and pansexual characters, they might cancel each other out so a publisher could hold their nose long enough to let me use a dash of vulgarity.

Thing is, I'm not sure it's all that effective. It seems great in my head, but you potential readers are the problem. It's like you have your own agenda when you read my words.

Hawgdriver
10-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Oh, and rough draft caveat, etc. etc. Needs polish, I know.

Valar Morghulis
10-22-2019, 03:23 PM
I love me some vulgarity, but in written words, without real substance it is often just superficial

Be as vulgar as you like, but because the narrative demands it.

Just my humble opinion

FWIW I loved the intro the first thing before the edit, first paragraph was class

MOtorboat
10-22-2019, 03:43 PM
I’ll take a look later, Hawg. RE: Vulgarity: I’m a vulgar writer, language wise, but it’s also how I’ve always spoke and the people around me have spoke. If it feels like your character is dropping a lot of curse words, go with it. If not, don’t. Visualize that person and use those character traits you visualize.

Hawgdriver
10-22-2019, 04:06 PM
Thank you, gentlemen.