PDA

View Full Version : Broncos vs. Chargers .... Numero 3 ...

Pages : [1] 2

Joker56
01-05-2014, 04:13 PM
So Rivers and company playing good football, now we gonna go shoot them down ?

:elefant: :elefant: :salute:

BroncoWave
01-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Can't wait. I feel very confident about this game. SD is not that good.

pulse
01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Kind of interesting how this is playing out. Denver's three losses were to Indianapolis, New England and San Diego, the three remaining teams in the AFC bracket. They'll have to beat San Diego and the winner of the New England vs Indianapolis game to reach the Super Bowl. Talk about an opportunity to revenge your losses in the playoffs.

701Bronco
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Oh how I can't wait to see Phillip Rivers cry like a little bitch

Jaws
01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Cry me a river Phyllis time as he fails in manning up to Peyton!

VonDoom
01-05-2014, 04:40 PM
This game makes me very nervous. SD matches up well against us. Let's see if that loss was ultimately a blessing in disguise

Joker56
01-05-2014, 04:44 PM
We will be rested,Wes is gonna be back....
Manning not gonna go and give up against the Chargers....
Its gonna be an interesting game ....

:salute:

Shazam!
01-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Scared to death about this game, though I'd love for Manning and Co. to settle my fears and beat their brains in. Chargers were one of the teams I did not want the Broncos to face. Eerily similar to last year, Bal was an inferior team Denver should beat.

Broncolingus
01-05-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm going to post this repeatedly...

Denver should want anybody for the playoffs...period!

If they don't think they can beat anyone, especially at home, then they got no business being in the playoffs...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 29m

He only attempted 16 forward passes???!!??? Are you kidding me?? Stop the run, beat the Chargers.

Dzone
01-05-2014, 04:59 PM
We got Mincey, Ayers, Jackson, Pot Roast, Sly, Tre, Phillips, Irving...we can stop the run and harrass rivers

Runamok
01-05-2014, 05:01 PM

If they don't think they can beat anyone, especially at home, then they got no business being in the playoffs...

I'm sure they do think they can beat anyone.

I'm just not sure about you.

Dzone
01-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Anyone know what the early poiint spread is?

tripleoption
01-05-2014, 05:06 PM
We got this. I thought Cincy stepped all over themselves the second half.

aberdien
01-05-2014, 05:08 PM

There's really no excuse. If this team is as great as they have shown in the regular season the past two seasons, they must beat SD + Indy + NE. This where they earn it, so if they don't earn it they don't deserve it.

As long as they play smart I am not too worried.

Broncolingus
01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
There's really no excuse. If this team is as great as they have shown in the regular season the past two seasons, they must beat SD + Indy + NE. This where they earn it, so if they don't earn it they don't deserve it.

As long as they play smart I am not too worried.

I'm with ya, brother...

VonDoom
01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Anyone know what the early poiint spread is?

Denver -9.5

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Since joining Broncos, Manning is 3-1 vs. Rivers and Chargers

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Peyton Manning with Colts was 0-2 vs. Philip Rivers and Chargers in playoffs. Lost in 2007 in Indy and 2008 in San Diego. .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 5m

Philip Rivers: "this was the fifth playoff game. Round six is coming up in Denver."
Retweeted by Vic Lombardi

Joker56
01-05-2014, 05:30 PM
It will be a tough game,but Chargers are not gonna win this time in Denver.
Our Broncos are rested,hungry for a playoff win ....

:elefant: :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 05:32 PM

Philip Rivers says Chargers aren't playing up underdog role: "If I was an outsider, I wouldn't have picked us either."

olathebroncofan
01-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Can you imagine the media circus that will ensue if it ends up being Indy @ Denver for the afc championship?

chazoe60
01-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Philip Rivers says Chargers aren't playing up underdog role: "If I was an outsider, I wouldn't have picked us either."
The funny thing about Rivers is that every time I see an interview with him I think "he's such a good dude. He's tough, smart, a great leader, and an overall great guy" then he puts a football helmet on and I just want to kick him repeatedly in the shin.

nevcraw
01-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Can you imagine the media circus that will ensue if it ends up being Indy @ Denver for the afc championship?

we can discuss this after the broncos earn a win against San Diego. Let's win a playoff game first!

MasterShake
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
This is one of those games that will make me nervous until halftime when you can get a feel for how the game is shaping up. Rivers is a good QB, but talent wise we blow them out of the water on offense. Lets hope that Thursday night game really WAS a case of the team being injury riddled, tired, and flat.

Like others have said though, if you can't beat the 6 seed at home you weren't going anywhere anyway. Today's game was more Andy Dalton crapping his pants than it was the Chargers being good. All I know is that Mile High better be ROCKING when they take the field!

sneakers
01-05-2014, 05:50 PM
go broncos!

sneakers
01-05-2014, 05:51 PM
That thursday night game was an aboration, thursday night games are crap anyways. never know what is going to happen.,

i like the broncos chances on a full week on a nice sunday afternoon with temps in the upper 40's

NightTerror218
01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
I am nervous since SD is streaking at the right time. but I want SD over any other team at home. Stop Mathews force mistakes and its def winnable but I do not like Manning's record against chargers in playoffs.

I want Indy vs Denver in AFC championship.

nevcraw
01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
I def. like how we should come in with a chip on the shoulder for kinda being embarrassed on Thursday night on National TV.. I feel like our Defense is gong to be more settled and Manning / Gase should have plan for Pegano's D.

Shazam!
01-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm sure a lot of this was discussed about how the broncos were going to destroy Baltimore last year too.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Negative, just SD is hot right now and playing good football.

OrangeHoof
01-05-2014, 06:27 PM

I'd love it because it would mean the Patriots were dead. Beating Indy in our house shouldn't be that tough.

FanInAZ
01-05-2014, 06:32 PM
The Bengals lost to the Bengals, not the Chargers. We'll see what happens between the Chargers & Broncos next week.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 06:38 PM
from chargers fan forum:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=100470

vicsteele
Manning cries like a baby when he gets hit. A couple early sacks and an INT can change the whole game

gzubeck

Originally Posted by gchamblee View Post
Congrats on your win today! Your defense was very impressive. Please keep believing that Manning is pissing himself and scared to death, this will give me good signature material. I look forward to next weekend, should be a great game between 2 great teams!

same talk Bengals fans gave before their letdown. Chargers have been getting better and better on defense every week. Not so sure about our offense. It's been adequate but we seem to be a little banged up with our play makers (Royal, mathews) a bit.

The truth
LOL..It doesn't matter as the Bolts are better and hungrier...Mile High or Invesco is Rivers home away from home.

I remember last years one and done and the suicide watch...what happens this year?

I think all you Denver fans should take the Bolts very seriously and realize you will most likely lose.

Weddle needs a shave
The Eagle home opener

It is ordained

Totally Bolted
LOL.

So true. We talk like that as fans, but the players know they need to prepare. Peyton is the real deal. Regardless, I hope he peed his pants after our win today. It will go well with the brown stuff he'll let loose after the bolts one and done the donks next week.

Bolted

Originally Posted by Rivers4MVP View Post
I can assure you delusional Chargers fans that Manning is not remotely scared. Guy has a Super Bowl, something we don't. And he is Peyton Manning. Dude is cool and collected.

He won't be on the field long enough to even be scared.

jcruz1

Originally Posted by cmc0605
You haven't watched any Denver games, have you? They have three receivers and a TE playing at a very high level, and one of the best o-lines in the league. The concern is the pass rush for me, not whether we can move the ball if DT went down.

Here we go again, another delusional current team fan coming here grasping at straws pumping himself up for the win BECAUSE HE FEELS HE DESERVES IT and Manning cant possibly choke, you looking like the Bengals fan who just cleared out earlier.

Guy dont waste your whole week here, in the end you'll end up crying and disappear, its not productive. Do something else with your time.

Well - enough of the examples on there :D Hey BF posters - feel free to join in there.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 06:44 PM
I am nervous since SD is streaking at the right time. but I want SD over any other team at home. Stop Mathews force mistakes and its def winnable but I do not like Manning's record against chargers in playoffs.

Peyton's record against the Chargers in playoffs are when he was with Indy. His record against SD with the Broncos is 3-1

BroncoWave
01-05-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm sure a lot of this was discussed about how the broncos were going to destroy Baltimore last year too.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Negative, just SD is hot right now and playing good football.

I was one of the people being Mr. Negative before the Ravens game last year, saying it wouldn't be as easy of a game as everyone was predicting. And we lost.

This year, I am being arrogant and saying we are going to kill them. And we will win. Book it.

Dapper Dan
01-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Whoever forces more turnovers will win. We just have to hang on to the ball and don't throw picks.

NightTerror218
01-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Peyton's record against the Chargers in playoffs are when he was with Indy. His record against SD with the Broncos is 3-1

And he also coming off a bye week in Indy as well. I know the record, and that broncos humiliated themselves against chargers as well a few weeks ago.

BroncoWave
01-05-2014, 07:22 PM
No offense, but you're insane if you think this Chargers team is beating Denver twice in a row. Not gonna happen.

FanInAZ
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
No offense, but you're insane if you think this Chargers team is beating Denver twice in a row. Not gonna happen.

I'll never say never, but I do expect the Broncos to win comfortably. Game should be all but over by the start of the 4th quarter.

Northman
01-05-2014, 07:37 PM
I was one of the people being Mr. Negative before the Ravens game last year, saying it wouldn't be as easy of a game as everyone was predicting. And we lost.

This year, I am being arrogant and saying we are going to kill them. And we will win. Book it.

I remember that, if we lose i am coming for you and will beat you down. :)

BroncoWave
01-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I remember that, if we lose i am coming for you and will beat you down. :)

Well if we lose when I'm pessimistic then lose when I'm overly optimistic then clearly I am not the common thread in the losses. :)

GEM
01-05-2014, 07:50 PM
I am lmao at the confidence those fans are showing...next week there will be another brown bag over their heads. Happens every time they are in the playoffs. Friggin idiots dont get that the drought curse in super sparkler country is there forever.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 07:58 PM
I just don't want the Broncos to win, I want the Broncos to hang 50 points on them

Dapper Dan
01-05-2014, 07:59 PM
I just don't want the Broncos to win, I want the Broncos to hang 50 points on them

Woah, woah. Save some points for the Patriots.

Joel
01-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Sky Sports had one of those eerie meaningless stats during the Green Bay game: The last four Super Bowl winners (New Orleans, Green Bay, New York and Baltimore) ALL played Philly Opening Day. So who was Phillys first game this year? San Diego.

That said, I think the Broncos were (justifiably) as pissed at themselves as at SD for their final loss of the year. Protecting Manning will be huge; SD harried Dalton all day in their win today, and managed to pressure Manning effectively in both games this year, something no one else had managed since... Indy? And our D can't afford to give up another 177 yds to a rushing attack much like ours: Not terribly efficient, but VERY persistent, opening up lots of play action and man coverage opportunities as well as keeping some of the best QBs sidelined most of the game.

The Bolts did their typical late season surge, and KC resting all their starters helped SD reach the playoffs, where they played very well against a Bengals offense that didn't. Yet a Denver loss next week would say far more about us than it would about SD, because it's a game we should win handily at home.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 08:02 PM

No problem - the Broncos always keep some in reserve

OrangeHoof
01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Perhaps their best hope is that there's no Norv or Marty around next time to cough up a hairball.

The way I see it is that the Broncos should score 35 and the defense just needs to hold the Chargers below that number. I don't think SD has seen our offense play a full 60 minutes this year. They let their foot off the gas in SD and they were flat after two big road games when it was played up here. I expect everyone to be healthy too, although I hope we can put enough defensive pressure without Von.

Joel
01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
It certainly was here, and with more justification since it had only been a month since we blew out Baltimore 34-17 in their own house (and except for a Ravens TD in garbage time it wouldn't have been THAT close.) We gotta do our job, which is pretty much the unofficial slogan for the playoffs. That and "go big or go home."

They are that, and for all the (not wholly UNjustified) talk about Dalton repeatedly and disastrously screwing up, the Bolts heavily encouraged that by constant effective pressure. The same pressure they put on Manning in both regular season games, something very few teams have managed to do (though Indy did at home.) Our lines must both step up, the offensive (especially Beadles and Clark) to protect Manning, and the defensive to not give up another 177 yds that makes Manning and our record-setting offense specators at their own game.

Army Bronco
01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I heart the Chargers! Rivers is the man!

karnage
01-05-2014, 09:06 PM

Streaking doesn't matter. Denver had won 11 in a row including thrashing the team that eventually ended their season (who also lost 4 of 5 heading into the postseason.) Denver has to be better than the team in front of them 3 times in a row and they will be champions.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

RT @darrenrovell: Chargers offering fans round trip from SD to Denver, 2 nights hotel & 1 club seat for $1,650 a person.-->>ALL 4 OF THEM?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 09:37 PM
from chargers fan forum

El Tee

I wonder as our game today ended, who texted who first- Fox or Elway- and how dumb was the conversation?!?!

spikerman
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Well the NFL Network guys seem to think SD has the edge. So there's that.

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Denver -9.5

That is really high. There will be a lot of people picking SD this week. I see the game as a pick 'em personally.

aberdien
01-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Well the NFL Network guys seem to think SD has the edge. So there's that.

They can let us be an underdog. It'll make it more fun when we beat them.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h

Broncos coaches are at Dove Valley preparing for the Chargers.

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h Broncos coaches are at Dove Valley preparing for the Chargers.

JDR has his hands full. Chargers do a great job of killing clock.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2014, 10:18 PM
JDR has his hands full. Chargers do a great job of killing clock.

Based on our last performance, and watching the Bengals struggle with them, I just don't see how we are going to slow them down.

spikerman
01-05-2014, 10:22 PM
If the Broncos lose this one I'm going to have a long flight home. Don't do that to me.

BroncoWave
01-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Based on our last performance, and watching the Bengals struggle with them, I just don't see how we are going to slow them down.

San Diego literally had one good drive the entire game. I don't think their defense struggled to stop SD's offense at all. Dalton giving the ball away time and time again is what lost them the game.

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2014, 10:35 PM
They can let us be an underdog. It'll make it more fun when we beat them.

It might really work that way. I could see most media picking SD. Rivers' success vs Denver/Manning, Manning's postseason struggles, McCoy's familiarity with Denver, the last matchup, the pressure from the disaster last season, Denver's pathetic, injury riddled defense... The upset narrative writes itself. Why Denver will win is a less easy case to make, really.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 10:37 PM
from article:

After running the ball 27 times per game over its first 12 outings, San Diego has averaged 39 carries since. They kept that pace Sunday with 40 totes for 196 yards and two scores on the ground. It's not a strategy we expect the Chargers to abandon next week in Denver.

San Diego's offense established itself early Sunday, controlling the Bengals along the line of scrimmage and carrying the rock 20 times against a Cincinnati defense that consistently dropped six and seven men into coverage. Over the first two quarters, quarterback Philip Rivers attempted just six throws to finish 12-of-16 passing on the day for a mundane 128 yards.

Nobody's trying to take the ball out of Rivers' hands, but his 25.2 attempts over the past five games are down from the 37 throws per outing he attempted over his first 12 starts. The game-plan shift speaks more to a strategy tweak by coach Mike McCoy, who has used his stable of running backs -- led by Ryan Mathews and Danny Woodhead -- to control the clock and play to his roster's strengths.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000309502/article/san-diego-chargers-commitment-to-run-game-pays-off

The Broncos need to stop their running game, and keep scoring, and SD will have to abandon the running game

aberdien
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
The Bengals turned the ball over like 3 times in situations where they should've scored. The Chargers are opportunistic, so as long as we don't give them opportunities they shouldn't be too big of a problem. Make Rivers try to beat us with his arm and he'll throw picks.

BroncoWave
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
It might really work that way. I could see most media picking SD. Rivers' success vs Denver/Manning, Manning's postseason struggles, McCoy's familiarity with Denver, the last matchup, the pressure from the disaster last season, Denver's pathetic, injury riddled defense... The upset narrative writes itself. Why Denver will win is a less easy case to make, really.

Um, not really. Pretty much all of your reasons for why SD could win are contrived media bullshit. Denver is the vastly superior team and is playing at home. It is much easier to make a case that they will win.

pulse
01-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Um, not really. Pretty much all of your reasons for why SD could win are contrived media bullshit. Denver is the vastly superior team and is playing at home. It is much easier to make a case that they will win.

BINGO! Denver IS the better team. If BOTH teams play their best football, Denver wins hands down. On the other hand, if Denver comes out flat and sputters, spots San Diego a two score lead, we're in BIG trouble. I cannot vehemently stress enough the importance of Denver coming out sharp and red hot. They need to score fast and early and not take the foot off the gas until the game is over or out of hand. The Chargers are not a team that plays well from behind. But with a lead, their offense sustains long drives and keeps you off the field. They eat up clock, and the next thing you know, it's the fourth quarter and you're hoping to get the ball back in time to win the game. Denver needs to dismantle them early and put them away. They need to play efficiently on offense, score touchdowns, and maintain the lead, not punt or kick field goals.

Magnificent Seven
01-05-2014, 10:55 PM
I am not worried about this divisional game. Chargers got lucky on Thursday night. Broncos played without three key players. (Bailey, Welker, and Wolfe) Coach McCoy knew Broncos' strengths and weaknesses. Those were Chargers' advantages. However, Broncos have plans and change their game strategies. Plus, our fans will be louder and put enough pressure on QB Phillips. Just stop Phillips and Matthews. Mile High Magic will be with us. Broncos will WIN!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Tom Helmer ‏@Tom_Helmer 2h

“@MarkT31143: @Tom_Helmer can we stop the run of SD that is the biggest worry.” The guys I talked to on D feel confident they can

Tom Helmer ‏@Tom_Helmer 2h

Chris Harris and Malik Jackson both told me today that 1st down is going to be critical vs. Chargers. Must create 2nd, 3rd and long

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Zane Beadles ‏@zanebeadles 6h

SD it is! Excited! I'm done with sitting around. Now we have work to do!
Retweeted by Rod Mackey

Danny Trevathan ‏@Grindin_59 6h

It's about to get real live In MileHigh #yafeelme!
Retweeted by Rod Mackey

Omar C. Bolden ‏@Os_Island 6h

I know our fans will have Mile High ROCKIN on Sunday!!! Can't wait! #BroncosUp #BeatTheChargers #WeNeedItUltraLoud #TurnUsUp
Retweeted by Rod Mackey

Duke Ihenacho ‏@NachoLyfe 6h

Cool. We know who we're playing now. I can't wait to go to work tomorrow!
Retweeted by Rod Mackey

Jacob Tamme ‏@JacobTamme 6h

SD is really good, folks. Time to watch some film during this NFC game & get ready for a fun week.
Retweeted by Rod Mackey

LawDog
01-06-2014, 12:08 AM
The Bengals turned it over in their own end three times during the second half which led directly to San Diego scoring... A total of SIX points. I'm not concerned.

topscribe
01-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Two words:

1. Peyton
2. Manning

topscribe
01-06-2014, 12:27 AM
In this article (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/05/nfl-playoffs-chargers-bengals-philip-rivers-mccoy/), Phyllis was caught saying, "We’ve got to be careful we’re not overconfident.."

LOLZ!! :pound:

WARHORSE
01-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Kind of interesting how this is playing out. Denver's three losses were to Indianapolis, New England and San Diego, the three remaining teams in the AFC bracket. They'll have to beat San Diego and the winner of the New England vs Indianapolis game to reach the Super Bowl. Talk about an opportunity to revenge your losses in the playoffs.

Remember 1997?

Sounds like Revenge Tour Part 2.

We need to stop the run, period. It looks like Mike McCoy has taught them a thing or two and has them committed to running the ball. He is a really good coach and I respect the job hes doing over there.

Honestly, headcoachwise we are at a disadvantage imo. McCoy is a gameplanner.

We will have Welker in there this week unlike the last game. He will play an important role because defensively they gave us underneath. We only had Tamme, Knowshon and Ball in checkdowns and swing passes. None of them could make the first guy miss.

We need to protect Welker at the same time, we dont want another concussion. Football just aint worth that scenario.

I like our chances.

We have to win up front period.

Demaryius has to play to his ability and dominate.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Sky Sports had one of those eerie meaningless stats during the Green Bay game: The last four Super Bowl winners (New Orleans, Green Bay, New York and Baltimore) ALL played Philly Opening Day. So who was Phillys first game this year? San Diego.

That said, I think the Broncos were (justifiably) as pissed at themselves as at SD for their final loss of the year. Protecting Manning will be huge; SD harried Dalton all day in their win today, and managed to pressure Manning effectively in both games this year, something no one else had managed since... Indy? And our D can't afford to give up another 177 yds to a rushing attack much like ours: Not terribly efficient, but VERY persistent, opening up lots of play action and man coverage opportunities as well as keeping some of the best QB sidelined most of the game.

The Bolts did their typical late season surge, and KC resting all their starters helped SD reach the playoffs where they played very well against a Bengals offense that didn't, but a Denver loss next week would say far more about us than it would about SD, because it's a game we should win handily at home.
The last 8 (?) SB winners played the NFC East and the Patriots, the only team to do that is Denver. Clearly a streak comes to an end this Sunday.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 01:00 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

RT @darrenrovell: Chargers offering fans round trip from SD to Denver, 2 nights hotel & 1 club seat for $1,650 a person.-->>ALL 4 OF THEM?
Shit, Charger fans don't go to home games.

Army Bronco
01-06-2014, 01:03 AM
I think every one is expecting a really tough game but I feel as though Denver is coming in with a vengeance this time. Im thinking our Defense will dominate in the POs now.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Any team can beat any team, especially division rivals, if you thought the Colts or Chefs would be an easier game I think you're kidding yourself.

Dzone
01-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Losing to SD would be worse than losing to Baltimore last year

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 02:21 AM

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 02:21 AM
I think every one is expecting a really tough game but I feel as though Denver is coming in with a vengeance this time. Im thinking our Defense will dominate in the POs now.

Not one time in 16 games has anything occurred to give me any confidence that our defense was "saving" something for the playoffs.

We are going to have to win 3 scoring races to win a super bowl. Period.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 02:22 AM
Not one time in 16 games has anything occurred to give me any confidence that our defense was "saving" something for the playoffs.

Then they did a damn good job of saving. :lol:

Ziggy
01-06-2014, 05:10 AM

I'm hoping that JDR gets rid of that crappy zone coverage D that offenses have been steamrolling all season long and go back to last year's man to man scheme with timely blitzes in the playoffs. Either way, we still win the super bowl.

TXBRONC
01-06-2014, 07:41 AM

FWIW I understand that the last two games were played against bad teams but never the less Denver's defense did play very well in both games.

CrazyHorse
01-06-2014, 08:09 AM
We NEED to stop Matthews and their run game. If we can do that the points will come with our possessions. Welker being back should help on third downs too. The Broncos can't make stupid penalties like last time. Kayvon can't be left on an island against Allen this time either. Miller's absence rushing the quarterback doesn't bother me too much since they'll probably try to run it a bunch against us like they did last time.

Northman
01-06-2014, 08:11 AM

You know Carol means business when she makes a statement like this. :lol:

EastCoastBronco
01-06-2014, 09:13 AM
As far as I can tell, the Chargers won that Thursday night debacle by keeping PFM and company off the field.
They sustained long drives and dominated time of possession by converting a crap load of third downs.
It's their ability to control the time of possession that worries me.
Our offence was as flat as they had been all season but with the way that San Diego controlled the clock they never really got the chance to get "unflat".
In my opinion, this game comes down to our defence being able to get these clowns off the field.

If we can't beat San Diego at home with everything on the line and a week's rest under our belts then we are nothing more than a statistical sideshow.

Traveler
01-06-2014, 09:18 AM
The only game I missed seeing this year was the 2nd SD game. Game is a toss-up for me. I'll be looking for a few things:

1. Manning facial expression- I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out. In the two games against NE & Indy, he had this expression that I can't describe in words. Almost like he wished he didn't have to be there or was extremely stressed out. If he has the same expression, I might get worried. Especially if he's succumbing to that pressure of being mentioned as the "best regular season QB" but having trouble winning playoff games.

2. How does JDR defend Keenan Allen? Does he have DRC matchup one-on one against him?

3. How successful are we at stopping the run and generating pass rush pressure?

4. Are DT, Decker and Welker playing in a physical beast mode or being passive like I've seen them when they play against a really physical secondary?

5. How well are our OT's playing against the Ingram and keeping Manning clean?

Lastly, there is no freaking way this team should come out there flat. They better be out there fired up and playing with passion! Killer instinct!

TXBRONC
01-06-2014, 09:45 AM
We NEED to stop Matthews and their run game. If we can do that the points will come with our possessions. Welker being back should help on third downs too. The Broncos can't make stupid penalties like last time. Kayvon can't be left on an island against Allen this time either. Miller's absence rushing the quarterback doesn't bother me too much since they'll probably try to run it a bunch against us like they did last time.

I expect Bailey will be out quite bit in slot. Over the last two weeks Bailey has gotten more playing time.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 09:48 AM
FWIW I understand that the last two games were played against bad teams but never the less Denver's defense did play very well in both games.

Hopefully, it's something we can carry over to the playoffs. Either technically, or at least psychologically. There were only 3 games this year where we scored less than 30...and I'll let you guess who 2 of them were against. I think we need to hold them to 21 or less.

TXBRONC
01-06-2014, 09:48 AM
The only game I missed seeing this year was the 2nd SD game. Game is a toss-up for me. I'll be looking for a few things:

1. Manning facial expression- I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out. In the two games against NE & Indy, he had this expression that I can't describe in words. Almost like he wished he didn't have to be there or was extremely stressed out. If he has the same expression, I might get worried. Especially if he's succumbing to that pressure of being mentioned as the "best regular season QB" but having trouble winning playoff games.

2. How does JDR defend Keenan Allen? Does he have DRC matchup one-on one against him?

3. How successful are we at stopping the run and generating pass rush pressure?

4. Are DT, Decker and Welker playing in a physical beast mode or being passive like I've seen them when they play against a really physical secondary?

5. How well are our OT's playing against the Ingram and keeping Manning clean?

Lastly, there is no freaking way this team should come out there flat. They better be out there fired up and playing with passion! Killer instinct!

I think would also add pushing the pocket up the middle. Get Rivers moving sideways and he isn't as effective.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 09:51 AM
I expect Bailey will be out quite bit in slot. Over the last two weeks Bailey has gotten more playing time.

That'll be interesting because SD uses a TE in the slot more than a WR. It's usually either Gates or Green there.

Joel
01-06-2014, 10:05 AM
No problem - the Broncos always keep some in reserve
Sadly so. :(

from article:

The Broncos need to stop their running game, and keep scoring, and SD will have to abandon the running game
Yeah, turns out that for all the radical changes the new rules have made, some of the best teams are winning the way NFL championships have always been won: Safe productive running and smothering defense. Perhaps that and Foxs Landryesque commitment to stopping the run FIRST gives us the edge, but only if we can actually DO it. In a shootout I have more faith in our secondary than theirs (though less in our pass rush,) but McCoys' going to protect possession and grind out the clock until/unless you MAKE him pass. That's just football.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm skeered about this game

GEM
01-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Good Lord....the Chargers message board sure is full of a bunch of pompous ass idiots. Guess they forgot how ******* empty that trophy case is....Manning and Co can just remind him come this weekend.

Dumb Sparkler fans....one day they'll learn to just shut up and enjoy losing.

GEM
01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Hey Zeus H. Crimeney people.....get your shit together. This is the ******* Sparklers we're talking about. Yes they're tough, but don't forget who the **** we are.

We are the top offense of all ******* time. Who on that God forsaken team is going to stop this offense? What is their answer for our pass game? We have deficiencies on defense...so the **** what if we move that damn score up 45-50 points. Matthews and Fluker left the game in boots. Target keeping Matthews off the field, put some hits down low and he'll play fearful.

Some of ya'll talking like we are the underdogs. Be respectful, but don't be ******* fearful of those douchebags.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 10:21 AM
it's not uncommon enough for my comfort to stun homecrowds. worst thing to do is to underestimate your opponent. I never do that, but then again everyone else IS better than me

GEM
01-06-2014, 10:23 AM
it's not uncommon enough for my comfort to stun homecrowds. worst thing to do is to underestimate your opponent. I never do that, but then again everyone else IS better than me

I don't underestimate them at all. This game is going to be tough, Phyllis plays well here, doesn't change that we can hang 40 on them if we play our game and not their game.

Joel
01-06-2014, 10:23 AM
We beat them in SD because we took a big early lead to sideline their run, then played Prevent till the gun. There's no reason that won't work just as well again IF we 1) keep their pass rush from beating up Manning like the last two games and 2) stop their run far better than in the second.

I think would also add pushing the pocket up the middle. Get Rivers moving sideways and he isn't as effective.
That would be awesome; any idea how we can do that without Vickerson? I know Sly's been coming on the past few games, but the Bolts have a pretty good line and I don't think Sly/Knighton will be capable of much inside push against it.

That'll be interesting because SD uses a TE in the slot more than a WR. It's usually either Gates or Green there.
I've been thinking the same, which is why I'm hoping we just treat Gates like a third WR and put Champ on him with Harris outside (doing the reverse might be viable, too, but I'd prefer the experience of one HoFer against another, and Harris may be more capable of staying stride for stride with Allen/Royal.) Also Champ sniffing out plays, beating blocks and tackling against the run will come in handy when Gates run blocks (though Harris seems to have picked up a lot of that from Champ himself.)

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 10:26 AM
I don't underestimate them at all. This game is going to be tough, Phyllis plays well here, doesn't change that we can hang 40 on them if we play our game and not their game.

IF IF IF. exactly.

Joel
01-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Hey Zeus H. Crimeney people.....get your shit together. This is the ******* Sparklers we're talking about. Yes they're tough, but don't forget who the **** we are.

We are the top offense of all ******* time. Who on that God forsaken team is going to stop this offense? What is their answer for our pass game? We have deficiencies on defense...so the **** what if we move that damn score up 45-50 points. Matthews and Fluker left the game in boots. Target keeping Matthews off the field, put some hits down low and he'll play fearful.

Some of ya'll talking like we are the underdogs. Be respectful, but don't be ******* fearful of those douchebags.
How'd they stop our offense last time? Why did we score less in BOTH SD games than against ANYONE else all year? They'll pressure Manning like they pressured Dalton into 3 Ints, like they pressured Manning BOTH times we played them. Our line will just have to keep Liuget and company from going low on Manning like he did at the end of the first game.

Speaking of which, I don't want to win badly enough to hope our guys take James-Harrison-on-Decker (or anyone) shots INTENTIONALLY trying to injure anyone. We're not the Raiders or Saints, and should be able to win without playing dirty, not just because it can come back to haunt teams when opponents retaliate in kind (though it certainly can) but simply because it's wrong. Both Hardwick and Matthews checked out early in Cincy and I won't be heartbroken if they miss next weeks game, but Harrisons "so what if going low increases injury risks?" attitude is nauseating.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 10:37 AM
now im wishing that we lost to the chargers a few weeks ago. but as it is, they are going to come into milehigh on sunday with a lot to prove and play for

capt. Jack
01-06-2014, 10:40 AM
We beat them 3 out of 4 games in two years, lets get it done! We can beat anyboby (if everything goes right) if we make mistakes, etc. Well then better luck next time. This is our "window", and it slams shut after next year!

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 10:44 AM
We beat them 3 out of 4 games in two years, lets get it done! We can beat anyboby (if everything goes right) if we make mistakes, etc. Well then better luck next time. This is our "window", and it slams shut after next year!

I dont' know if it slams shut, but this is def the year. .

capt. Jack
01-06-2014, 10:49 AM

We have to take advantage now! We can act like "The Jake Plummer Broncos" man we had a great chance that year and blew it! 3 DAMN WINS ! I can't take it, We have to get it done! :)

Mike
01-06-2014, 10:54 AM
The Chargers are a flawed team who have been playing win or go home football for the past few weeks. If Denver plays up to their ability no amount of desparation will help the Chargers.

Not scurred of this SD team.

artie_dale
01-06-2014, 10:56 AM
This game is going to be about our defense making it happen. Keenan Allen was quiet in yesterday's game, but I think McCoy emphasized the run (obviously). They may change it up when they play us since our pass defense hasn't been worry worthy. I HOPE Peyton can be a threat in the cold (fricken -2 Falcon/Colorado Springs on my way to work this morning) but I think if our defense is healthy (Wolfe and Sean Phillips, in particular) we should be able to make them make mistakes.

GEM
01-06-2014, 10:57 AM
How'd they stop our offense last time? Why did we score less in BOTH SD games than against ANYONE else all year? They'll pressure Manning like they pressured Dalton into 3 Ints, like they pressured Manning BOTH times we played them. Our line will just have to keep Liuget and company from going low on Manning like he did at the end of the first game.

Speaking of which, I don't want to win badly enough to hope our guys take James-Harrison-on-Decker (or anyone) shots INTENTIONALLY trying to injure anyone. We're not the Raiders or Saints, and should be able to win without playing dirty, not just because it can come back to haunt teams when opponents retaliate in kind (though it certainly can) but simply because it's wrong. Both Hardwick and Matthews checked out early in Cincy and I won't be heartbroken if they miss next weeks game, but Harrisons "so what if going low increases injury risks?" attitude is nauseating.

I did not say injure the dude. I said hit him lower and he'll be fearful. I didn't say sweep the leg.

All I am saying is both the team and the fans should have some confidence. They have had 3 weeks of play in which they laid it all on the table. We played 16 weeks. Just remember who we are and have some confidence.

You want to be Debbie Downer this week, have at it. I'm not.

PatriotsGuy
01-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Scared Potter?

MasterShake
01-06-2014, 11:08 AM

After watching how the teams played this weekend I am kind of glad we got the Chargers. The Chiefs and the Colts definitely have the offense to match us, but I don't "think" San Diego does if we can bring our game. Our defense has to get them off the field on 3rd down though.

OrangeHoof
01-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Denver has all their weapons healthy and ought to be fired up. They can't cover all of them when Manning is running the show right. If Denver establishes the running game early, scoring opportunities will be there. Limit mistakes. Don't spend the game in bad field position. Make some stops. Game over.

Frankly, I'm glad the media is hopping on the San Diego bandwagon. It should keep the Broncos from getting overconfident and that's a good thing.

Joel
01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
This game is going to be about our defense making it happen. Keenan Allen was quiet in yesterday's game, but I think McCoy emphasized the run (obviously). They may change it up when they play us since our pass defense hasn't been worry worthy. I HOPE Peyton can be a threat in the cold (fricken -2 Falcon/Colorado Springs on my way to work this morning) but I think if our defense is healthy (Wolfe and Sean Phillips, in particular) we should be able to make them make mistakes.
Why would McCoy change what's worked all year? He ran the legs off his backs in their win against us, just as he did in their win against Indy, and for all the same reasons: It protects and preserves possession, "matriculates" it downfield and makes HoF QBs spectators on their own field. He'll keep running it down our throats until/unless we prove we can stop him, because that's football. As Fox and many others say, any possession that ends in a kick is a good one; worst case scenario you punt and pin them deep.

Incidentally, anyone who thinks our record-setting pass offense makes that kind of field position football obsolete should check where most of our drives started in the home loss to SD. Funny thing, Peyton Manning's not the kind of guy who likes throwing lots of passes inside his own 10; punting it back to them at midfield is bad, but not as bad as a pick-six.

I did not say injure the dude. I said hit him lower and he'll be fearful. I didn't say sweep the leg.
Don't sweep the leg, just TARGET it; gotcha. ;) When a player's nursing a leg injury, anyone who "targets" it is either 1) intentionally trying to injure him MORE or 2) stupid not to realize that's the likely result REGARDLESS of intent. It was dirty when Liuget dove at Manning taped ankles in a game they'd already lost, and it would be dirty if we did it to Matthews (or anyone.)

All I am saying is both the team and the fans should have some confidence. They have had 3 weeks of play in which they laid it all on the table. We played 16 weeks. Just remember who we are and have some confidence.

We have ample cause for confidence due to our explosive offense and their anemic secondary, but also cause for concern. Our pass blocking had trouble with their pass rush in both games, but we won the first because we had a top ten run D; since then we've lost Vickerson, Wolfe and Miller and our defenses sole bright spot has dimmed noticeably. McCoy and the Bolts sure noticed it when their weak running gained 177 yds on our field, their most of any game this year.

We're 1-1 against each other this year and the combined victory margin was 48-47 in THEIR favor. That makes it homerish to mock the overconfidence of their fans while displaying just as much. On paper, we should win by two scores, but we'll definitely have to earn it and it won't be easy. If YOU want to take the game for granted, that's your option; I just hope the TEAM doesn't.

tripp
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm not football tactician. But taken the week 16 game, and this playoff game they played against the Bengals, in my humble opinion, I think this is the way we win it.

There are a few things I'd like to assume here: San Diego will keep the same game plan as they did against the Bengals when they come to Denver. Run the ball, run the ball, and run the ball. It's also safe to assume, our defense is going to give up points, a lot for that matter. What we NEED to do is stop them on a few 3rd downs, not all of them, because apparently stopping ANY team more than 2 or 3 times is too much to ask.

Okay, so, now that we know the Chargers will run the ball with the dynamic duo of Mathews and Woodhead, and they will run it easily against us, how do we stop them from the running the ball? You score early, and often. We weren't able to do that week 16, which enabled the Chargers to stick to their game plan: run the ball. You score early, you score often, it forces the Chargers to abandon their game plan, and then force them to throw. Once Rivers gets frustrated, he makes errors, and a lot of them, which is where we need to capitalize.

You can't compare the Bengals - Chargers game to anything like what we're about to face because the Bengals have a better D. The Bengals absolutely could have won that game, Dalton looked absolutely awful through all aspects during the game yesterday, AND YET, he still could have came back and won the game with roughly 7 minutes left on the clock in the 4th quarter. Unreal.

Point? We have to score 35+ points to win next sundays game. That's all there is to it.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 11:29 AM
I might disagree slightly. I do think they'll run the ball because they have been having success with it and had A LOT of success with it in the win against us. But I think the run/pass will be more balanced against us. They ran the ball more yesterday to slow down the Cincy pass rush. That is something they dont have to worry about quite so much with us.

TXBRONC
01-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Hopefully, it's something we can carry over to the playoffs. Either technically, or at least psychologically. There were only 3 games this year where we scored less than 30...and I'll let you guess who 2 of them were against. I think we need to hold them to 21 or less.

If Denver's defense holds the Chargers to 21 points I think chances are good that they will win.

GEM
01-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Why would McCoy change what's worked all year? He ran the legs off his backs in their win against us, just as he did in their win against Indy, and for all the same reasons: It protects and preserves possession, "matriculates" it downfield and makes HoF QBs spectators on their own field. He'll keep running it down our throats until/unless we prove we can stop him, because that's football. As Fox and many others say, any possession that ends in a kick is a good one; worst case scenario you punt and pin them deep.

Incidentally, anyone who thinks our record-setting pass offense makes that kind of field position football obsolete should check where most of our drives started in the home loss to SD. Funny thing, Peyton Manning's not the kind of guy who likes throwing lots of passes inside his own 10; punting it back to them at midfield is bad, but not as bad as a pick-six.

Don't sweep the leg, just TARGET it; gotcha. ;) When a player's nursing a leg injury, anyone who "targets" it is either 1) intentionally trying to injure him MORE or 2) stupid not to realize that's the likely result REGARDLESS of intent. It was dirty when Liuget dove at Manning taped ankles in a game they'd already lost, and it would be dirty if we did it to Matthews (or anyone.)

We have ample cause for confidence due to our explosive offense and their anemic secondary, but also cause for concern. Our pass blocking had trouble with their pass rush in both games, but we won the first because we had a top ten run D; since then we've lost Vickerson, Wolfe and Miller and our defenses sole bright spot has dimmed noticeably. McCoy and the Bolts sure noticed it when their weak running gained 177 yds on our field, their most of any game this year.

We're 1-1 against each other this year and the combined victory margin was 48-47 in THEIR favor. That makes it homerish to mock the overconfidence of their fans while displaying just as much. On paper, we should win by two scores, but we'll definitely have to earn it and it won't be easy. If YOU want to take the game for granted, that's your option; I just hope the TEAM doesn't.

There is always cause for concern....any given Sunday. I just said it won't be easy...where did you get that I think this is going to be some cake walk? Did you just leave that part out for the ability to go on this tangent? Where did I say take the game for granted? I said play our game, not their game, have confidence in what we have done and will do. Where does taking for granted come in there?

FFS Joel, don't read into my posts when I've plainly said the opposite of what you are posting.

GEM
01-06-2014, 11:38 AM
And target the lower half of his body, hit him in the hips, take him down by the legs, there is a whole lot of hits that aren't take out his ******* ankle and break it. Put some fear into him because it's already injured.

Nomad
01-06-2014, 11:40 AM
As long as Manning doesn't shit the bed, BRONCOS will win. He seems to have a difficult time with the Chargers throughout his career. Yeah, the defense has to bring their A game as well.

tripp
01-06-2014, 11:55 AM
As long as Manning doesn't shit the bed, BRONCOS will win. He seems to have a difficult time with the Chargers throughout his career. Yeah, the defense has to bring their A game as well.

Our defense HAS to show looks Chargers have never seen before. We have to completely change the game plan up defensively and confuse the hell out of Rivers. It was too easy for him to connect to Keenan Allen. The good news is, Champ Bailey is back, and Nate Irvine looks like he has taken full advantage of Von Miller's injury.

Joel
01-06-2014, 11:58 AM
I might disagree slightly. I do think they'll run the ball because they have been having success with it and had A LOT of success with it in the win against us. But I think the run/pass will be more balanced against us. They ran the ball more yesterday to slow down the Cincy pass rush. That is something they dont have to worry about quite so much with us.
You're a coach; you know why McCoy likes to run, not just against Cincy yesterday, but every game of every season, whether his starting QB was a guy who just broke a ton of passing records or He Who Must Not Be Named. Running reduces turnovers, tires opposing defenses, rests ones own defense, kills the clock and limits opponents scoring opportunities while advancing the ball at least a little on nearly EVERY play. McCoy will run until/unless we stop him and/or lead by 3 scores, just as he did when he beat Manning and Luck.

Running's all about percentages: The NFL rushing average is 12.5 yds every 3 plays, and has been for decades, with ~1 turnover every 3 games. Passing's great for big plays, but McCoy will beat us on the ground if he can because that's still the best way for good teams to win: Eliminate big plays for BOTH teams and bad ones can't win by luck. You know all this as well as McCoy.

topscribe
01-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Denver has all their weapons healthy and ought to be fired up. They can't cover all of them when Manning is running the show right. If Denver establishes the running game early, scoring opportunities will be there. Limit mistakes. Don't spend the game in bad field position. Make some stops. Game over.

Frankly, I'm glad the media is hopping on the San Diego bandwagon. It should keep the Broncos from getting overconfident and that's a good thing.
Both games against SD were close, and Denver lost one of them. I don't
think there's much chance of the Broncos being overconfident . . .

Joel
01-06-2014, 12:19 PM
There is always cause for concern....any given Sunday. I just said it won't be easy...where did you get that I think this is going to be some cake walk? Did you just leave that part out for the ability to go on this tangent? Where did I say take the game for granted? I said play our game, not their game, have confidence in what we have done and will do. Where does taking for granted come in there?
Um, maybe from this:

I am lmao at the confidence those fans are showing...next week there will be another brown bag over their heads. Happens every time they are in the playoffs. Friggin idiots dont get that the drought curse in super sparkler country is there forever.

Good Lord....the Chargers message board sure is full of a bunch of pompous ass idiots. Guess they forgot how ******* empty that trophy case is....Manning and Co can just remind him come this weekend.

Dumb Sparkler fans....one day they'll learn to just shut up and enjoy losing.

Very little of that sounds exactly "respectful" (calling people "douchebags" is a mark of respect now?)

FFS Joel, don't read into my posts when I've plainly said the opposite of what you are posting.

The closest any of those posts came to even gruding respect was this one:

As for the other,

And target the lower half of his body, hit him in the hips, take him down by the legs, there is a whole lot of hits that aren't take out his ******* ankle and break it. Put some fear into him because it's already injured.
still sounds like semantics; sweep the leg without ACTUALLY sweeping the leg, so he thinks you're sweeping the leg. Going low ALWAYS raises injury risks; when player's ALREADY have a leg injury the risk climbs even higher. So going low on a player with a leg injury shows either intent to injure or STAGGERING ignorance of how much it raises injury risks. That simple.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Scared Potter?

is that from it' s a wonderful life? if so, I finally get it

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 12:34 PM
is that salute a yes?

Joel
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
It's funny, my wife wanted to watch the whole Harry Potter series again for Christmas, but birth got in the way, so we were actually watching the last one when I read that post (still are, in fact.)

I assume the post in question was WTEs way of saying New England's as cowardly and dishonest as the Malfoys; makes sense. ;)

ShaneFalco
01-06-2014, 01:04 PM
I wanted sd from the start, would serious chokage if denver loses to sd. They are not a great team

PatriotsGuy
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
is that salute a yes?

No, it's a Harry Potter reference

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:12 PM
No, it's a Harry Potter reference

thank you.

topscribe
01-06-2014, 01:13 PM
The Chargers are a flawed team who have been playing win or go home football for the past few weeks. If Denver plays up to their ability no amount of desparation will help the Chargers.

Not scurred of this SD team.
Pity the Dolts when they run into the Broncos in Denver . . .

c0ndsXVaPwc

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 01:16 PM
It's been years since I've posted. I imagine most of you have no idea who I am, but I was one of the more common posters on broncos freak before it shut down. I drop by occasionally to see what you guys are saying about a particular matchup, or how you are feeling about the team.

I just wanted to drop by and offer my two cents about this matchup with the Chargers. Hopefully I'll be sticking around for the remainder of the post-season.

I'm a Southern California native. I'm surrounded by Bolts "fans". When they win, you see people in jersey's everywhere. When they lose, you wouldn't have any idea that San Diego had a professional football team.

I'm over-confident about this game. And I'm completely okay with it. I believe our players are overconfident about this game too. But let's not confuse overconfidence with lack of hunger and drive. In the locker room interviews, the guys have a different tone of voice than what I've heard in a long, long time. They are angry. They are angry over last years loss to the Ravens. They are angry about letting down against the Bolts last month. I don't think this team wants to win, I think they want to make a statement. Not to the media, or to the football world, or even to themselves...but to the Chargers. Chargers can't come into our house, run their mouth, and think that they have a shot at winning this game. I want overconfidence from this team. I want them angry. Angry that they let an inferior football team beat them in Denver not that long ago. It's time to remind the Chargers where the place is, and that is looking up at us.

I've had a different attitude watching our Broncos the past few years. It's strange. I don't get as excited for the games or our big plays as I used to. I think it is because I expect us to make those big plays and I expect us to win every time out. So when we win, it's because we were supposed to. And the losses...well, it's just a roadblock. But playoffs are different. The Chargers are different. The lingering anger over last years loss to Balt is there. The anger at Phyllis Rivers is as high as it was on this day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSpYLU7Ig0. This week is the first road block to where we belong. And it's the Chargers. It's Phillip Rivers. It's personal. Denver 38, SD 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkag22YJ5EA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Anger, hunger, confidence, drive...

...none of these things make up for a lack of talent defensively.

tripp
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
This game begins, and ends with our defense.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:21 PM
It's been years since I've posted. I imagine most of you have no idea who I am, but I was one of the more common posters on broncos freak before it shut down. I drop by occasionally to see what you guys are saying about a particular matchup, or how you are feeling about the team.

I just wanted to drop by and offer my two cents about this matchup with the Chargers. Hopefully I'll be sticking around for the remainder of the post-season.

I'm a Southern California native. I'm surrounded by Bolts "fans". When they win, you see people in jersey's everywhere. When they lose, you wouldn't have any idea that San Diego had a professional football team.

I'm over-confident about this game. And I'm completely okay with it. I believe our players are overconfident about this game too. But let's not confuse overconfidence with lack of hunger and drive. In the locker room interviews, the guys have a different tone of voice than what I've heard in a long, long time. They are angry. They are angry over last years loss to the Ravens. They are angry about letting down against the Bolts last month. I don't think this team wants to win, I think they want to make a statement. Not to the media, or to the football world, or even to themselves...but to the Chargers. Chargers can't come into our house, run their mouth, and think that they have a shot at winning this game. I want overconfidence from this team. I want them angry. Angry that they let an inferior football team beat them in Denver not that long ago. It's time to remind the Chargers where the place is, and that is looking up at us.

I've had a different attitude watching our Broncos the past few years. It's strange. I don't get as excited for the games or our big plays as I used to. I think it is because I expect us to make those big plays and I expect us to win every time out. So when we win, it's because we were supposed to. And the losses...well, it's just a roadblock. But playoffs are different. The Chargers are different. The lingering anger over last years loss to Balt is there. The anger at Phyllis Rivers is as high as it was on this day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSpYLU7Ig0. This week is the first road block to where we belong. And it's the Chargers. It's Phillip Rivers. It's personal. Denver 38, SD 17

big Al, that is pretty funny. seems like I kinda remember that. ( the knowshown sig)

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:22 PM

I remember you well. California pretty boy. So now that you've lived some, is life still all rainbows, unicorns, and after school specials?

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Pretty scary thought

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Anger, hunger, confidence, drive...

...none of these things make up for a lack of talent defensively.

The talent is there. The issue is discipline. When we lost agains the Chargers, guys were trying to be the hero. Defense doesn't work like that. Each man has to do his job. Filling gaps, playing unselfish. We've been doing that as of late, I don't expect us to get terribly undisciplined again. It's not the talent

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 01:26 PM
I remember you well. California pretty boy. So now that you've lived some, is life still all rainbows, unicorns, and after school specials?

Haha, I turn 29 today. And boy do I miss the naivety that came with being 22.

I just put on the knowshon sig. It used to be DJ Williams. And my handle back in the 2004 days was Kenoy28

tripp
01-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Pretty scary thought

Yes sir it does. Makes me feel very uneasy. With that being said, I really do try and act like the playoffs is a new season.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Haha, I turn 29 today. And boy do I miss the naivety that came with being 22.

I just put on the knowshon sig. It used to be DJ Williams. And my handle back in the 2004 days was Kenoy28

I remember you as BigAL. yeah, I miss naiivity too. that is pretty friggin funn knowshon had the presence of mind to do that while a flag is being thrown/scuffle is going on, and they signaling for the first. shows a good sense of humor

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
I should clarify that living in Charger territory will alter your mood when the Broncos play them. Charger fans here think this is the best franchise in the NFL. Most of them couldn't tell you how many Super Bowls they've won

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 01:30 PM
The talent is there. The issue is discipline. When we lost agains the Chargers, guys were trying to be the hero. Defense doesn't work like that. Each man has to do his job. Filling gaps, playing unselfish. We've been doing that as of late, I don't expect us to get terribly undisciplined again. It's not the talent

I'm not going to get trapped into believing our defense is suddenly improved after solid showings against Houston and Oakland. At the end of the day, we still shit the bed against pretty much any mediocre or better offense that we faced this year. The difference was our offense. And for the most part...when the game was close, or when we lost...it was because the offense had some mishaps. It's evident to even middle schoolers that we will win because our offense wins for us. If we have the talent on defense to win games defensively, then the problem is with the scheme. But either way...it's not a good thing for us

artie_dale
01-06-2014, 01:31 PM
I should clarify that living in Charger territory will alter your mood when the Broncos play them. Charger fans here think this is the best franchise in the NFL. Most of them couldn't tell you how many Super Bowls they've won

I'm ready to smear them all over the field and show them all what's up. These Broncos have no reason not to.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm not going to get trapped into believing our defense is suddenly improved after solid showings against Houston and Oakland. At the end of the day, we still shit the bed against pretty much any mediocre or better offense that we faced this year. The difference was our offense. And for the most part...when the game was close, or when we lost...it was because the offense had some mishaps. It's evident to even middle schoolers that we will win because our offense wins for us. If we have the talent on defense to win games defensively, then the problem is with the scheme. But either way...it's not a good thing for us

while I'd agree with a lot of this, in the games we have lost, it was the offense that shit the bed. we can't afford turnovers and 3 and outs at the level experienced in these games. (or so I recollect). we gotta keep manning on the field and the defense off no down the stretch, that's what I took away anyway,.. but no,,,, we do not, nor should we, rely on our defense to win games for us, with that I do agree

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 01:35 PM

You are right. They have played bad against some mediocre offenses. That Dallas game made me want to puke. But I don't think it's the scheme or lack of talent. Scheme is the same as last year, and talent per player is probably better this year. Our guys have just played terribly undisciplined and selfish football. That needs to change, or we'll get beat by the Colts/Pats. I don't see it mattering much against the Chargers. I just don't think they are any good. They got completely outplayed by KC's second string team. And they got by a Bengals team that completely imploded on themselves.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:38 PM
You are right. They have played bad against some mediocre offenses. That Dallas game made me want to puke. But I don't think it's the scheme or lack of talent. Scheme is the same as last year, and talent per player is probably better this year. Our guys have just played terribly undisciplined and selfish football. That needs to change, or we'll get beat by the Colts/Pats. I don't see it mattering much against the Chargers. I just don't think they are any good. They got completely outplayed by KC's second string team. And they got by a Bengals team that completely imploded on themselves.

no, I am right (reference previous AGap post). things have changed quite a bit around here since you've been gone BigAl

LawDog
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM

I strongly disagree. Why? Because it was our offense that made the difference in the two games against SD this year.

Everyone points to time of possession in the second game (38:49) as being crucial to the Chargers winning. However, the time of possession in the first game was 38:20! Look at the stats between the two games for SD on offense, 1st game/2nd game: Rushing plays - 35/44; Rushing yds - 131/177; 1st downs - 20/24; 3rd downs - 7 of 16/6 of 12; Punts - 5/3; Red Zone - 2 of 4/2 of 4. Denver's defense was a little better at getting them off the field in the first game but not much, and held them to FGs a bit better.

The real difference was how Denver's offense used the time it had on the field. In the first game they had TD scoring drives of 85, 80, 73, and 78 yards. That kind of production didn't happen in the second game.

If the offense shows up and scores points, Denver wins. Plain and simple.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 01:41 PM

But even the discipline isnt going to change. I complained about that last year and was ridiculed for it...then this season, others actually saw it. All that says is that in the last 2 seasons, we have played undisciplined. I dont see that changing in a week. And I'll still argue the talent aspect. Kind of confusing to me how we can improve in player talent, yet go from being a top 5 defense to a bottom 10 defense. That has a lot more to it than just discipline. IMO

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:42 PM
I strongly disagree. Why? Because it was our offense that made the difference in the two games against SD this year.

Everyone points to time of possession in the second game (38:49) as being crucial to the Chargers winning. However, the time of possession in the first game was 38:20! Look at the stats between the two games for SD on offense, 1st game/2nd game: Rushing plays - 35/44; Rushing yds - 131/177; 1st downs - 20/24; 3rd downs - 7 of 16/6 of 12; Punts - 5/3; Red Zone - 2 of 4/2 of 4. Denver's defense was a little better at getting them off the field in the first game but not much, and held them to FGs a bit better.

The real difference was how Denver's offense used the time it had on the field. In the first game they had TD scoring drives of 85, 80, 73, and 78 yards. That kind of production didn't happen in the second game.

I'd like to refer you to post no. 141 of this thread. I think this post wraps things up quite nicely.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 01:44 PM

I said it before in another post. If we are going to win a Super Bowl...we need 3 consecutive brilliant performances from our offense.

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 01:47 PM
I said it before in another post. If we are going to win a Super Bowl...we need 3 consecutive brilliant performances from our offense.

Totally agree. I think we'll beat the Chargers either way. But if we have a prayer in the AFC Championship and the Super Bowl (especially if we play Seattle), our offense and Peyton has to play their A game.

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I am worried about Peyton in those situations

LawDog
01-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Good thing we have an offense that is very capable of brilliant performances.

tripp
01-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Superbowl caliber NFL teams can find ways to win games when the Offense is lackluster. When was the last time our D had given our Offense great field position by turning the ball over?

While I agree with you that the Offense couldn't do a damn thing week 15 against the Chargers, I've seen plenty of NFL offenses struggle and have their D bail them out and get them in a rhythm by turning the ball over with great field position.

I really really hate to be a cynic, but I've come off like one a lot lately because our D, in my opinion is god awful, and I think teams know it.

I still haven't quite adjusted to the idea of expecting 35+ pts a game, especially 2 years ago we scored an average of 15 pts, so I'd like to think the defense plays apart in helping us. It troubles me watching our D against above .500 teams.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 01:51 PM
you know, fuk you guys. you arent' near as football saavy as you think you are. good day

ShaneFalco
01-06-2014, 01:52 PM
:lol:

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Good thing we have an offense that is very capable of brilliant performances.

True...but how have we fared against playoff teams? Our record this year against the remaining teams is 1-3. Not sure I'd start counting on back to back brilliance

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Totally agree. I think we'll beat the Chargers either way. But if we have a prayer in the AFC Championship and the Super Bowl (especially if we play Seattle), our offense and Peyton has to play their A game.

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I am worried about Peyton in those situations

I dont know if I am necessarily "worried" about PM...I just dont think it's realistic to expect Godliness from him in 3 straight tough games without defensive help.

tomjonesrocks
01-06-2014, 02:05 PM

Last year was the year. The window is open but closing now.

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 02:07 PM
This year is our best shot. We aren't going to be able to financially keep the talent we currently have on our roster moving forward. Peyton needs to play at his regular season level and our defense needs to play smart.

tripp
01-06-2014, 02:07 PM
I dont know if I am necessarily "worried" about PM...I just dont think it's realistic to expect Godliness from him in 3 straight tough games without defensive help.

Preach it brother. Expect Peyton to have a *good* game, anything more is foolish. Not because I believe in the cold weather hype, but expecting anything more isn't fair.

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Did Zam ever join this board?

tripp
01-06-2014, 02:09 PM
This year is our best shot. We aren't going to be able to financially keep the talent we currently have on our roster moving forward. Peyton needs to play at his regular season level and our defense needs to play smart.

I was thinking about this earlier. I don't know who is reaching the end of their contract, I know Decker is, anyone else I wasn't too sure. It would suck to lose Decker, but... Caldwell would be fine. Lol. Not kidding. That doesn't take anything away from Decker's ability as a receiver.

BigAL56
01-06-2014, 02:14 PM
I was thinking about this earlier. I don't know who is reaching the end of their contract, I know Decker is, anyone else I wasn't too sure. It would suck to lose Decker, but... Caldwell would be fine. Lol. Not kidding. That doesn't take anything away from Decker's ability as a receiver.

Eh, I can't see Caldwell getting four TD's like Decker against KC. That would be a huge drop off in talent

tripp
01-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Eh, I can't see Caldwell getting four TD's like Decker against KC. That would be a huge drop off in talent

True. I guess what I was getting at is, maybe we can find a promising receiver who isn't asking for the same kind of money as Decker is. The good news is, Manning makes everyone better.

I really really liked Gerell Robinson, he looked impressive during the pre-season, I believe we released him, then signed him again to a 1 year deal. (Not asking him to be #2 or #3 receiver behind Thomas or Welker, but should get consideration as #4)

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 02:19 PM
I think Caldwell would be fine from the perspective that we'd still have DT, JT and WW. Plus...we could focus on improving the defensive side of the ball. Our schedule is brutal next year and it wont be easy to win shootouts. We need to have an offense capable of 28 per game with a defense that can be relied on to hold a team to 21. We need a legit MLB, pass-rushing DE and play-making safety more than we need Decker.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 02:22 PM
I think Caldwell would be fine from the perspective that we'd still have DT, JT and WW. Plus...we could focus on improving the defensive side of the ball. Our schedule is brutal next year and it wont be easy to win shootouts. We need to have an offense capable of 28 per game with a defense that can be relied on to hold a team to 21. We need a legit MLB, pass-rushing DE and play-making safety more than we need Decker.

I agree with your strategy. , so Woodyard is not the man for the MLB position? and what about Rahiom Moore and Von Miller? arent' they sufficient at their positions?

Joel
01-06-2014, 02:24 PM

TD scoring drives of 85, 80, 73 and 78 yds? So in other words our starting field position on scoring drives was never worse than our own 15, and at least our own 20 on all but one.

In the rematch HALF our drives started inside our 11; small wonder most of them ended in punts. Even on the rare occasions our D managed a stop (which was VERY rare; not counting kneeldowns, SD scored on 5/8 drives) they still gave up enough yards our offense was pinned deep,.

The most glaring case was one of the mere THREE "stops" our D managed: Despite US pinning THEM at their 1 we gave up 44 yds on 12 plays that ate 8:20 of the 3rd quarter (when we trailed by 2 TDs and couldn't afford to waste half a quarter) before a punt from midfield left us at our own 11. We SHOULD'VE held them to a three-and-out and gotten GREAT field position after a punt from their 6 yard line, but instead we committed our SECOND twelve-men penalty of the game, and later in the drive left ANTONIO GATES UNCOVERED ON THIRD DOWN!

Yeah, it's TOTALLY our record-setting offenses fault they couldn't singlehandedly win by overcoming our Ds inability to stop even a weak run game or our returners inability to hold onto punts/kicks. Sorry, put even the best offense in deep holes all game and bad things happen, if only because they'd rather punt to midfield than throw a pick-six. Not that it stopped the same fans criticizing runs from inside our 10 AND criticizing Manning when he threw a pick on our end in the 4th. There's just no pleasing some people. :tsk:

Look, McCoy likes to with good running and good D, so does Fox and SO DOES MANNING, even though he just shredded multiple passing records. That's how good teams beat lesser ones; everytime a team starts playing Home Run Derby right out of the gate it's a tacit admission their opponent plays FOOTBALL much better. It was true when AFL teams did it to each other, when the first SFL SB Champ did it to the Colts and when the Ravens did it to us in last years playoffs.

The question is whether we can play football better than San Diego, or they're just going to matriculate the ball down the field and into the AFCCG. We'll see; the run's been our defenses sole strength all year, but injuries have decimated our front seven since the NE game, and our run D has suffered accordingly. Hopefully we can protect Manning and slow their run well enough to take a big lead that sidelines their running game in the second half, as in the first game. Otherwise, it'll go like the second.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Fox on Facing Chargers

press conference today after practice
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Fox-on-Facing-Chargers/ff71244c-77e8-4fc0-8b2a-e113966f275b

Joel
01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Last year was the year. The window is open but closing now.
I agree. Once Manning got his legs under him with a new team, we were good enough to beat anyone last year if we didn't just phone in playoff games against inferior teams. This year we've been crippled by a slew of season-ending injuries to Pro Bowlers, plus the Seahawks look unstoppable. Next year contracts start coming to an end and Manning turns 38. Plus we have the NFCW on our schedule along with the AFCE, Colts and Bungles, so we won't face a dozen pushovers like the last two years.

ShaneFalco
01-06-2014, 02:31 PM
I see us signing randy moss tomorrow , and him getting 5 tds Sunday

ShaneFalco
01-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Joel you overhype the seagulls, they almost lost to kellen clemens

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I agree with your strategy. , so Woodyard is not the man for the MLB position? and what about Rahiom Moore and Von Miller? arent' they sufficient at their positions?

Moore and Miller are just fine. Assuming Miller ever get's his groove back and Moore is ever able to play at a high level again. But we need a 3 down LB that can be relied upon in all facets and a play-maker at the safety position opposite Moore. Getting both of those via the draft is unlikely this year, so you look at verterans that can fill those spots short term via free agency. Would this team be better with a guy like Dansby at MLB and Allen at DE? If so, then maybe you can get that safety in the 3rd round and draft for the future and for develop them like most other top teams seem to be able to do.

Joel
01-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Joel you overhype the seagulls, they almost lost to kellen clemens
The Rams are better than their record, which isn't awful. In fact, by victory margin adjusted for schedule, St. Louis is the NFLs 12th best team; it's just really hard to win games when you play over half your schedule against playoff teams. The Rams had 6 playoff caliber opponents in their division alone, plus 3 more in Carolina, New Orleans and Indy, then another 2 against Chicago and Dallas teams that would've won their respective divisions if they'd won their final games, against the teams who DID win those divisions.

That's 8 playoff teams, another that should be in the playoffs and 2 more that nearly were, yet the Rams somehow managed to finish just ONE game below .500. They beat the Saints by two scores and HUMILIATED the Colts 38-8 IN INDY. They're not elite, but are a good team in a really brutal division so ALMOST (but NOT) winning a home game against a division opponent they know VERY well says more about them than it does Seattle.

Let's talk about Seattle though. They beat SF AND Arizona, plus Carolina, absolutely DESTROYED the Saints and only a flukey blocked FG returned for a TD cost them a road win against a Colts team that still had Reggie Wayne. Their only other losses were by a combined 9 pts on the road against quite good SF and Arizona teams. Unless they start buying their own BS, get popped for more 'roids suspensions or the NFL stops letting them ignore PI, Illegal Contact and Defensive Holding rules, Seattle's a force to be reckoned with and the clear SB favorite.

If there were any doubt about that: Their points differential is second only to us, but when adjusted for a MUCH tougher schedule their average victory margin is about a point better. I'm not saying we have no hope against them (assuming we both get that far,) but I'd MUCH rather play last years '9ers.

ShaneFalco
01-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Yes i agree about rams being better, but kellen clemens man.....

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 02:54 PM
...and the Rams will only be better with Bradford back next year and another slew of draft picks

Joel
01-06-2014, 03:03 PM
...and the Rams will only be better with Bradford back next year and another slew of draft picks
The NFCW look like a very tough 4 games next year, while the Chiefs aren't going away and McCoy seems to be turning the Bolts around almost as effectively. Last year was by far our most favorable title shot; it only got tougher this year, and will get tougher still after that. And then, well, does anyone expect Osweiler to win a SB his first year as a starter?

No second chances, but even if there are, this is your last one, Broncos: Get it done; go big or go home.

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 03:05 PM
The NFCW look like a very tough 4 games next year, while the Chiefs aren't going away and McCoy seems to be turning the Bolts around almost as effectively. Last year was by far our most favorable title shot; it only got tougher this year, and will get tougher still after that. And then, well, does anyone expect Osweiler to win a SB his first year as a starter?

No second chances, but even if there are, this is your last one, Broncos: Get it done; go big or go home.

Which is why I am in favor of letting Decker walk and focusing on the defense in the off-season. We wont win shootouts against next years schedule

tripp
01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm not sold on Sam Bradford, I feel like he hasn't done anything in his time at St. Louis to prove he was worth being 1st overall. He's been plagued by injuries and just hasn't done much with his time in St. Louis when healthy.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Which is why I am in favor of letting Decker walk and focusing on the defense in the off-season. We wont win shootouts against next years schedule

when you break it down like you did, yeah, totally. later on Decker, see ya, wouldn't want to be ya. loser

CoachChaz
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm not sold on Sam Bradford, I feel like he hasn't done anything in his time at St. Louis to prove he was worth being 1st overall. He's been plagued by injuries and just hasn't done much with his time in St. Louis when healthy.

Hasnt really had much to work with either. Givens and Pettis are the top receivers and the OL is very mediocre and the starting RB is a small 7th rounder...and that's this year after improving. Even with that, he was playing well before the injury

As the younger players improve and they continue to add talent via the slew of draft picks they received, I think the team will only get better. The defense has been built up and now I believe some time can be spent on the offense.

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
The only reason I root for Bradford is because I have his autographed rookie card.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 03:17 PM
I root for him because he is part Indian and those guys have had it pretty tough

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 03:24 PM
I root for him because he is part Indian and those guys have had it pretty tough

Yeah, but he's a rich indian. Does he even give back to the rez, bro?

PatriotsGuy
01-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Did Zam ever join this board?

Yes but he got banned

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Zam is still here. I think he changed his name to BroncoWave?

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Yeah, but he's a rich indian. Does he even give back to the rez, bro?

I haven't seen a post game interview, but I would be surprised, and appalled, if he did adopt the white man's way of life in his appearance

topscribe
01-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Zam is still here. I think he changed his name to BroncoWave?
Nah, although there might be a slight resemblance, that's BTB.

Zam changes his username every 3 1/2 hours just to throw off the mods . . .

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Nah, although there might be a slight resemblance, that's BTB.

Zam changes his username every 3 1/2 hours just to throw off the mods . . .

is Tned a mod? the answer is no, he is not

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 03:44 PM
is Tned a mod? the answer is no, he is not

So Tned is Zam? That's brilliant.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 03:47 PM
So Tned is Zam? That's brilliant.

no. you need to go through Tned to have your name changed. I went through that once. He asks a few questions, might makes you interview kinda, but once he grants the procedure, you are golden. See the thing is , now get this. The mods don't know who you are for a while after Tned has made the change. just like every pther tom dick and harry. so there's that window of being kinda suspended in space that's just out of this world

Dapper Dan
01-06-2014, 03:51 PM
no. you need to go through Tned to have your name changed. I went through that once. He asks a few questions, might makes you interview kinda, but once he grants the procedure, you are golden. See the thing is , now get this. The mods don't know who you are for a while after Tned has made the change. just like every pther tom dick and harry. so there's that window of being kinda suspended in space that's just out of this world

Could you just make up a new account and bypass the NSA interrogation?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- If you tuned into the Chargers' 27-10 dismantling of the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday, you saw San Diego win in a way it had not all season: without holding the advantage in total yardage.

But the fact that the Chargers won when they were outgained by 121 yards was largely irrelevant. That's because the Chargers didn't have far to march, particularly in the second half, when their average drive-start position was 12 inches into Bengals territory, just past the 50-yard-line.

That's what takeaways can do. A fumble recovery and an interception led directly to the field goals that put the Bengals behind two scores and forced them into desperation mode, which led to them going for it on two fourth downs from the San Diego 41- and 40-yard-lines, respectively. This had typically been absent from the Chargers' play this year; they lugged a minus-4 turnover margin into the playoffs. Until Sunday, they had forced at least two takeaways just four times, including one three-takeaway game (against the Giants, whose minus-15 margin is the second-worst in the league).

That was enough to allow San Diego's offense to overcome the fits and starts that plagued it Sunday, which belied San Diego's season-long performance.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/First-Look-at-the-Chargers/e0b8890b-e66a-4180-a9a3-eee8c0e56dca

TXBRONC
01-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Superbowl caliber NFL teams can find ways to win games when the Offense is lackluster. When was the last time our D had given our Offense great field position by turning the ball over?

While I agree with you that the Offense couldn't do a damn thing week 15 against the Chargers, I've seen plenty of NFL offenses struggle and have their D bail them out and get them in a rhythm by turning the ball over with great field position.

I really really hate to be a cynic, but I've come off like one a lot lately because our D, in my opinion is god awful, and I think teams know it.

I still haven't quite adjusted to the idea of expecting 35+ pts a game, especially 2 years ago we scored an average of 15 pts, so I'd like to think the defense plays apart in helping us. It troubles me watching our D against above .500 teams.

The defense came up with an interception deep in Texans territory in week 15 and recovered a fumble in Raiders territory in week 17. So consecutive games in the last two weeks of the season they did exactly what you didn't remember.

BroncoNut
01-06-2014, 03:57 PM

no, there's no way. that I'm aware of anyway, and I would suggest you not meddle yourself.

Runamok
01-06-2014, 04:00 PM

He does,

They also have to avoid this______

"Some Broncos admitted last year they were overly confident after roaring into the playoffs on an 11-game winning streak only to lose 38-35 in double-overtime to Baltimore, a team it had beaten handily on the road in December." -Yahoo Sports

LINK:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-ready-rematch-rival-chargers-031437291--nfl.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CWBFstSCjcASldNbK5_;_ylu=X3oDMT BmMHFub2M1BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjNA--

Nomad
01-06-2014, 04:24 PM
He does,

"Some Broncos admitted last year they were overly confident after roaring into the playoffs on an 11-game winning streak only to lose 38-35 in double-overtime to Baltimore, a team it had beaten handily on the road in December." -Yahoo Sports

LINK:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-ready-rematch-rival-chargers-031437291--nfl.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CWBFstSCjcASldNbK5_;_ylu=X3oDMT BmMHFub2M1BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjNA--

He'll have a good game.

BRONCOS 38
Chargers 26

Joel
01-06-2014, 04:33 PM
No, because (as I understand it,) registering a SN logs the IP, so registering two is instantly detectable and a good way to EARN a ban even when one doesn't already exist. When banned members try to register a new SN I assume the Mods just cackle gleefully at they hit "delete." :tongue:

By the way, does anyone else find it odd that we can't Salute our own posts, but CAN report them? :confused:

Joel
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
He does,

LINK:
It sure looked like it; 1996 all over again. Hopefully they learned the lesson as well as that team did, but it sure didn't look like it in a lot of games this year. How we could go down 21-7 at home against a 3 win team, or let the Jags come within a failed 2 PAT of tying us at the half, is beyond me. And people say KC squeaked by against bad teams.... ;)

tripp
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
The defense came up with an interception deep in Texans territory in week 15 and recovered a fumble in Raiders territory in week 17. So consecutive games in the last two weeks of the season they did exactly what you didn't remember.

Since when is week 15 and week 17 two consecutive games with a turn over? Week 16 & 17. Only reason why I point that out is because you claim I failed to remember something haha.
Anyway.. allow me to reiterate myself... when has the defense come up with a turn over that gives us good field position against a playoff team. I don't really concern myself with QB's that haven't won more than 4 games in a season.

pulse
01-06-2014, 04:45 PM
All these analysts on NFL Network and ESPN are jumping on the Chargers' bandwagon. Denver is going to lose the war of the trenches. The Chargers are a matchup nightmare for the Broncos. The Chargers are the hottest team in the league. The Chargers have Manning's number. Denver shouldn't be favored, they already lost to the Chargers at home. We're in trouble, etc., etc..... I guess Denver's done.

Nomad
01-06-2014, 04:46 PM
All these analysts on NFL Network and ESPN are jumping on the Chargers' bandwagon. Denver is going to lose the war of the trenches. The Chargers are a matchup nightmare for the Broncos. The Chargers are the hottest team in the league. The Chargers have Manning's number. Denver shouldn't be favored, they already lost to the Chargers at home. We're in trouble, etc., etc..... I guess Denver's done.

BRONCOS will prove them wrong!

tripp
01-06-2014, 04:48 PM

I actually prefer this way more than if they were on the Broncos bandwagon. I'm perfectly ok with being the underdog

NightTerror218
01-06-2014, 04:48 PM
BRONCOS will prove them wrong!

Bet if you ask them to put money on thus game they would say broncos. But all the fofo lala crap they spew.......chargers barely beat the chies second string. Yah they are hot all right.

VonDoom
01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
I actually prefer this way more than if they were on the Broncos bandwagon. I'm perfectly ok with being the underdog

I agree with this. I hope the media underestimates us all the way to the Super Bowl.

tripp
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Bet if you ask them to put money on thus game they would say broncos. But all the fofo lala crap they spew.......chargers barely beat the chies second string. Yah they are hot all right.

Best part is they shouldn't even be in the play offs to begin with! I'd still be fuming if I was a Steelers fan. I'd rather the officials not saying anything at all at that point, just kicking a team when they're down.

LawDog
01-06-2014, 04:54 PM
TD scoring drives of 85, 80, 73 and 78 yds? So in other words our starting field position on scoring drives was never worse than our own 15, and at least our own 20 on all but one.

In the rematch HALF our drives started inside our 11; small wonder most of them ended in punts. Even on the rare occasions our D managed a stop (which was VERY rare; not counting kneeldowns, SD scored on 5/8 drives) they still gave up enough yards our offense was pinned deep,.

The most glaring case was one of the mere THREE "stops" our D managed: Despite US pinning THEM at their 1 we gave up 44 yds on 12 plays that ate 8:20 of the 3rd quarter (when we trailed by 2 TDs and couldn't afford to waste half a quarter) before a punt from midfield left us at our own 11. We SHOULD'VE held them to a three-and-out and gotten GREAT field position after a punt from their 6 yard line, but instead we committed our SECOND twelve-men penalty of the game, and later in the drive left ANTONIO GATES UNCOVERED ON THIRD DOWN!

Yeah, it's TOTALLY our record-setting offenses fault they couldn't singlehandedly win by overcoming our Ds inability to stop even a weak run game or our returners inability to hold onto punts/kicks. Sorry, put even the best offense in deep holes all game and bad things happen, if only because they'd rather punt to midfield than throw a pick-six. Not that it stopped the same fans criticizing runs from inside our 10 AND criticizing Manning when he threw a pick on our end in the 4th. There's just no pleasing some people. :tsk:

Look, McCoy likes to with good running and good D, so does Fox and SO DOES MANNING, even though he just shredded multiple passing records. That's how good teams beat lesser ones; everytime a team starts playing Home Run Derby right out of the gate it's a tacit admission their opponent plays FOOTBALL much better. It was true when AFL teams did it to each other, when the first SFL SB Champ did it to the Colts and when the Ravens did it to us in last years playoffs.

The question is whether we can play football better than San Diego, or they're just going to matriculate the ball down the field and into the AFCCG. We'll see; the run's been our defenses sole strength all year, but injuries have decimated our front seven since the NE game, and our run D has suffered accordingly. Hopefully we can protect Manning and slow their run well enough to take a big lead that sidelines their running game in the second half, as in the first game. Otherwise, it'll go like the second.

Oh Really? Of our 9 possessions, only 4 started at the 11 or less (almost half, give you that), but our average starting position was at the 19. One of those 4 (the one you mention as coming after a midfield punt that "left us at our own 11") ended in a touchdown, 2 were three and outs, and the last ended in the interception (after which our D held them to a FG). The two worst ones were at the 6 and the 3, the first when Holliday stupidly made a fair catch well inside the 10, and the second after that weird fumble, recovery and punt that Scifres had. We went 3 and out from the 6 when Manning was sacked at the 2, resulting in a SD touchdown. When they went three and out from the 10, SD's resulting drive ended in a punt (good D but lousy for field position). The best starting position we had was at our own 40 when SD's kickoff went out of bounds. Even with that great field position, the offense went 4 and out and punted.

Interestingly, on the three possessions that started at our 10 or worse, we ran the ball exactly twice. once for -1 yds and once for +3 yds.

Also, Holliday returned four kickoffs - resulting in us starting at our 33,26,10, and 23. Except for the 10, that's pretty good field position.

Yes, that SD drive in the 3rd quarter was horrific, but they didn't score and the next drive for us was the one that started on our 11 and resulted in a Denver touchdown. Eating up clock was the worst part of that situation.

I still hold to my position that the Denver defense did okay, it was the offense that was out of whack and cost us the second game. This time, offense shows up and scores, we win.

chazoe60
01-06-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm much more worried about the Broncos than I am the Chargers.

capt. Jack
01-06-2014, 05:15 PM
I was worried about having to beat KC three times! So I hope we play well and have a great game!

weazel
01-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Im actually worried about this game, but I worry about every game because I think our defense is hot garbage.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Go low, you mean like Cory Liuget did on Manning in SD this year?

GEM
01-06-2014, 06:08 PM

Nope. Definitely NOT was I meant.

I would never wish injury on anyone. You're talking to a mom...a mom who told a midget coach that if he kept telling my boy to go at a dlinemen's knees I was going to take the dude to China town.

I am talking a hit to a thigh or hip that would make Matthews think twice. If you're already banged up, you tend to protect yourself a bit more. If he's too busy thinking about that, he loses some of the vision that makes him so good.

NorthernLights
01-06-2014, 06:11 PM

You mean this one?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/files/2013/11/liuget1.jpg

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Um, maybe from this:

Very little of that sounds exactly "respectful" (calling people "douchebags" is a mark of respect now?)

The closest any of those posts came to even gruding respect was this one:

As for the other,

still sounds like semantics; sweep the leg without ACTUALLY sweeping the leg, so he thinks you're sweeping the leg. Going low ALWAYS raises injury risks; when player's ALREADY have a leg injury the risk climbs even higher. So going low on a player with a leg injury shows either intent to injure or STAGGERING ignorance of how much it raises injury risks. That simple.

You'd think a dude with a sickening amount of knowledge of NFL history would have a better understanding of the lengths teams have always gone to win games. Teams are very aware of their opponents injuries and for this very reason, perhaps they didn't touch on that in The Hidden Game of Football but it's Polyannish to suggest it's not a part of the FOOTBALL culture.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 06:14 PM
You mean this one?

No, I'm not.

NorthernLights
01-06-2014, 06:15 PM
No, I'm not.

Because that was the hit everyone was talking about, but the NFL said it was clean.

GEM
01-06-2014, 06:16 PM
You'd think a dude with a sickening amount of knowledge of NFL history would have a better understanding of the lengths teams have always gone to win games. Teams are very aware of their opponents injuries and for this very reason, perhaps they didn't touch on that in The Hidden Game of Football but it's Polyannish to suggest it's not a part of the FOOTBALL culture.

Reading it from a book only goes so far....

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 06:16 PM

I would never wish injury on anyone. You're talking to a mom...a mom who told a midget coach that if he kept telling my boy to go at a dlinemen's knees I was going to take the dude to China town.

I am talking a hit to a thigh or hip that would make Matthews think twice. If you're already banged up, you tend to protect yourself a bit more. If he's too busy thinking about that, he loses some of the vision that makes him so good.

I'm pointing out the fact that the attitude that Joel condemns exists in football, whether we talk about it or not.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Because that was the hit everyone was talking about, but the NFL said it was clean.

No, it isn't.

NorthernLights
01-06-2014, 06:19 PM
No, it isn't.

Yes, it is.

chazoe60
01-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Yes, it is.

No, it isn't.

GEM
01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Yes, it is.

So you'll be cool with it when Phillips does it to Rivers. And when Harris does it to Matthews. :D

GEM
01-06-2014, 06:22 PM
That picture right there is exactly what I'm talking about. A hit to the thigh on the way down...guarantee that makes a rb with an ankle injury cringe.

VonDoom
01-06-2014, 06:36 PM
As I said earlier, I am nervous about this game. But I'm not going to spend my whole week wringing my hands and biting my nails about something that is six days away and out of my control. I know what kind of football team we have here. We are better than this team, period. That doesn't always mean we'll win, but I trust that the team is doing their best to avoid a repeat of last year (and week 15, for that matter). If the Broncos lose this game, it will be a totally different game than week 15; that's what tends to happen in football. No two games are alike, even with the same teams and same game plans. I hope the team has more confidence in themselves than most of us in this thread (including me, if I'm being honest) have in them. I don't know if this was posted yet, but the "gut reaction" piece on IAOFM is a great rallying cry and makes me feel excited about this game (Gem's post from earlier in this thread was along those same lines)

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-chargers-27-bengals-10

From that website:

Another benefit of today's result, of course, is that the Chargers now think they're on some sort of roll, attributing this win to their own skill rather than the opponent's mental mistakes. They may even consider themselves a version of last year's Ravens team. Combine this with their Week 15 win in Denver on Thursday night, and you've got the makings of an overconfident sixth seed.

The Broncos, of course, remember last year just fine. Overconfidence won't be a problem.

Joel
01-07-2014, 05:22 AM
Go low, you mean like Cory Liuget did on Manning in SD this year?Nope. Definitely NOT was I meant.

What's the difference between going low on Manning after his ankles were hurt and going low on Matthews after his knee was hurt? How is targeting a guy at—even near—existing injury ANYTHING but an attempt to worsen that injury? Intentionally hitting him somewhere you KNOW he's ALREADY hurt pretty much defines "sweeping the leg."

Going low increases injury risks even for HEALTHY players; when a guy's already nursing a leg injury, going low raises the risk of further injury even MORE. Hitting someone where where you know they're hurt isn't just trying to scare or hurt them, but trying to HARM them. Sure, it'll scare him; so will shooting at him—for much the same good reason.

I'm all too aware of footballs seedy underbelly, where too many players are coached as early as junior high to "take out" opposing stars. But, as I said, we're not the "Just cheat, baby" Raiders or Bountygate Saints, and I don't miss Romanowski deliberately dislocating former teammates elbows, or grabbing Dave Meggets finger at the bottom of a pile and snapping it (as Romanowski put it) "like a chicken bone" because he knew the refs couldn't see them. It's a football field, not a prison shower, and if we're good enough to win clean we certainly SHOULD be.

Morals aside though, we're seeing in this very thread where that leads: People concluding that Liugets cheap shot on Manning in SD justifies, nay, NECESSITATES cheap shots on Matthews. They put one of yours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue. Yeah, I'm QUITE aware of how common that digusting mentality is at all levels of football, and if the NFL genuinely cares about player safety (rather than just league legal liability) THAT'S what they should address: Outlawing and penalizing ALL dirty hits, not just regulating WHERE they can be made.

Their initial reaction to Bountygate was promising, but, sadly, litigation by the NFLPA and the dirty players involved forced the NFL to backtrack. It was frankly bizarre; a bunch of dirty players and the organization representing all the other players they threaten pushed the NFL into giving the Saints a slap on the wrist for bludgeoning their way to a Super Bowl win despite the NFL sending out ANNUAL memos reminding teams bounties won't be tolerated. It's like if a drunk driver killed someone and MADD and the victims family said they shouldn't be prosecuted.

I'm pointing out the fact that the attitude that Joel condemns exists in football, whether we talk about it or not.
I've talked about it at length many times on this very site: It's disgusting and should be purged from the game, and its pervasiveness among coaches of even the youngest players is just another argument against rather than for it.

So you'll be cool with it when Phillips does it to Rivers. And when Harris does it to Matthews. :D
*shrugs* That's how that crap goes. Maybe Liugets attempt to kneecap Manning in a game they'd already lost is the only reason we're discussing this (though I doubt it; Jaded's sadly correct the problem's systemic.) Notwithstanding eye-for-an-eye morality though, I think we're good enough to beat SD without playing dirty, but if we're not, we don't deserve to win.

TXBRONC
01-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Since when is week 15 and week 17 two consecutive games with a turn over? Week 16 & 17. Only reason why I point that out is because you claim I failed to remember something haha.
Anyway.. allow me to reiterate myself... when has the defense come up with a turn over that gives us good field position against a playoff team. I don't really concern myself with QB's that haven't won more than 4 games in a season.

First I meant weeks 16 and 17.

Second you didn't say when was the last Denver's defense got us good field position against a playoff team.

Third what I said wasn't meant as insult so I'm sorry about that miscommunication.

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 08:53 AM

is China Town a bad place to be taken to? what goes down in this China town?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
DENVER (CBS4) – Unlike most of the players on the Broncos, Sunday will be the first time tight end Julius Thomas will experience the thrill of playing in a playoff game.

The Pro Bowl tight end wasn’t able to suit up for the Broncos loss in the playoffs to the Ravens last year, and it tore him up inside to watch his team lose such a big game.

“Watching my teammates come off the field and seeing how hard it was for them — and even how hard it was for myself not being able to be out there — that was something that was difficult for me,” Thomas told CBS4′s Vic Lombardi on Xfinity Monday Live. “I was just wishing I could make a play for my team to maybe help us out. Knowing how hard we had worked all that season and then coming up short has definitely been a reminder for us throughout this season.”

rest, plus video with Julius/Vic
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/01/07/julius-thomas-says-forcing-turnovers-will-be-key-in-broncos-chargers-rubber-match/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Although he's been retired from the National Football League for five seasons, Rod Smith uses the word we when it comes to the Denver Broncos, proving there's still a player's anticipation for Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game against the San Diego Chargers.

"It's exciting; there are only eight teams in the league still playing, and we're one of them," Smith said Monday.

Even the idea that the contest is the third meeting of the season between the teams, or that the most recent contest resulted in a Denver loss — at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, no less — didn't matter to the former star receiver.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24858442/denver-fans-feel-excitement-angst-city-prepares-broncos

GEM
01-07-2014, 11:19 AM
What's the difference between going low on Manning after his ankles were hurt and going low on Matthews after his knee was hurt? How is targeting a guy at—even near—existing injury ANYTHING but an attempt to worsen that injury? Intentionally hitting him somewhere you KNOW he's ALREADY hurt pretty much defines "sweeping the leg."

Going low increases injury risks even for HEALTHY players; when a guy's already nursing a leg injury, going low raises the risk of further injury even MORE. Hitting someone where where you know they're hurt isn't just trying to scare or hurt them, but trying to HARM them. Sure, it'll scare him; so will shooting at him—for much the same good reason.

I'm all too aware of footballs seedy underbelly, where too many players are coached as early as junior high to "take out" opposing stars. But, as I said, we're not the "Just cheat, baby" Raiders or Bountygate Saints, and I don't miss Romanowski deliberately dislocating former teammates elbows, or grabbing Dave Meggets finger at the bottom of a pile and snapping it (as Romanowski put it) "like a chicken bone" because he knew the refs couldn't see them. It's a football field, not a prison shower, and if we're good enough to win clean we certainly SHOULD be.

Morals aside though, we're seeing in this very thread where that leads: People concluding that Liugets cheap shot on Manning in SD justifies, nay, NECESSITATES cheap shots on Matthews. They put one of yours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue. Yeah, I'm QUITE aware of how common that digusting mentality is at all levels of football, and if the NFL genuinely cares about player safety (rather than just league legal liability) THAT'S what they should address: Outlawing and penalizing ALL dirty hits, not just regulating WHERE they can be made.

Their initial reaction to Bountygate was promising, but, sadly, litigation by the NFLPA and the dirty players involved forced the NFL to backtrack. It was frankly bizarre; a bunch of dirty players and the organization representing all the other players they threaten pushed the NFL into giving the Saints a slap on the wrist for bludgeoning their way to a Super Bowl win despite the NFL sending out ANNUAL memos reminding teams bounties won't be tolerated. It's like if a drunk driver killed someone and MADD and the victims family said they shouldn't be prosecuted.

I've talked about it at length many times on this very site: It's disgusting and should be purged from the game, and its pervasiveness among coaches of even the youngest players is just another argument against rather than for it.

*shrugs* That's how that crap goes. Maybe Liugets attempt to kneecap Manning in a game they'd already lost is the only reason we're discussing this (though I doubt it; Jaded's sadly correct the problem's systemic.) Notwithstanding eye-for-an-eye morality though, I think we're good enough to beat SD without playing dirty, but if we're not, we don't deserve to win.

Do you read? I said in the hip or thigh. FFS quit trying to argue something I'm not even attempting to say!

GEM
01-07-2014, 11:20 AM
is China Town a bad place to be taken to? what goes down in this China town?

Lots of bad stuff apparently. :D

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
you have to want to hurt people to be competitive. and to do that effectively, you need to:

1. identify their weaknesses
2. exploit their weaknesses.

I will leave it at that. scholars, feel free to do with these words what you so choose. I'm out.

Gap

GEM
01-07-2014, 11:24 AM
you have to want to hurt people to be competitive. and to do that effectively, you need to:

I will leave it at that. scholars, feel free to do with these words what you so choose. I'm out.

Gap

If putting a hit to a hip or a thigh is dirty...it happens every Sunday a million times. That is not dirty. Snapping the guys ankle would be dirty, but that's not what I'm condoning.

Army Bronco
01-07-2014, 11:25 AM
That picture right there is exactly what I'm talking about. A hit to the thigh on the way down...guarantee that makes a rb with an ankle injury cringe. Everyone knows they study up on opponents injuries. If its a knee or ankle they attack a legal target that can potentially affect the injury. That hit on PFM was legal by the book but it was meant to affect the ankle.

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
If putting a hit to a hip or a thigh is dirty...it happens every Sunday a million times. That is not dirty. Snapping the guys ankle would be dirty, but that's not what I'm condoning.

I never said that you were Gem. I'm sure things were taken out of context. I know that you are not that cheap

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM

I don't know Gem, this is starting to sound a lot like bounty gate. :D

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
You mean this one?

disgusting. your team looks like a pack of hyenas on an injured wildebeast

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't know Gem, this is starting to sound a lot like bounty gate. :D

She's been backpedaling for close to 24 hours now. me, I just troll

GEM
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM
She's been backpedaling for close to 24 hours now. me, I just troll

Not back pedaling. Apparently clarifying because Joel keeps talking about illegal hits which I never said in the first place. Hits to the hips and thighs are very much legal. If Joel has an issue with that being legal, he needs to take that up with the NFL.

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 11:54 AM
yeah, but didn't you say something earlier about ripping someone's leg off and beating them death with it?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-07-2014, 11:56 AM
disgusting. your team looks like a pack of hyenas on an injured wildebeast

A pack of hyenas would never get caught wearing those effeminite colors.

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Not back pedaling. Apparently clarifying because Joel keeps talking about illegal hits which I never said in the first place. Hits to the hips and thighs are very much legal. If Joel has an issue with that being legal, he needs to take that up with the NFL.

Joel is just very compassionate and doesn't like to see people get hurt. You made a comment (apparently) that supported violent and illegeal attacking of athletes during a contest. He just reacted. he doesn't mean anything against you specifically, just what you said

GEM
01-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Joel is just very compassionate and doesn't like to see people get hurt. You made a comment (apparently) that supported violent and illegeal attacking of athletes during a contest. He just reacted. he doesn't mean anything against you specifically, just what you said

That's the problem...I didn't say it.

TXBRONC
01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
That's the problem...I didn't say it.

Nut by any other name is still nuts.

Dzone
01-07-2014, 12:34 PM
What about Denver being favored by 10? Shouldnt that be the other way around? Dont they know we are decimated by injuries. lol

capt. Jack
01-07-2014, 12:46 PM
With all this aggressive crazy talk, I found my ROMO jersey, and this is what I am wearing game day!
How about lets just kick there butts legitimately!

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 12:48 PM
With all this aggressive crazy talk, I found my ROMO jersey, and this is what I am wearing game day!

wtf? are you gay?

just kidding. Romonowski I take it, not the qb from dallas.

Joel
01-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Do you read? I said in the hip or thigh. FFS quit trying to argue something I'm not even attempting to say!
Going low is going low, and the whole point was to make him think about the injury, remember? Otherwise why does it matter WHERE we hit him? Targeting the injury to make him think about it means TARGETING the INJURY, by definition.

Gap
Hurt=/=harm. The subtle but CRITICAL difference is between pain and injury. At the risk of opening a huge (and tangential) can of worms, it's the difference between spanking children and beating children. While all competition inherently requires exploiting opponent vulnerabilities, few legal ones require injuring opponents. I doubt anyone ever needed a doctor after a chess match, and even in most athletics needing surgery after a baseball or basketball game is a sure sign someone did something very wrong, intentionally or not.

Semantics. Why is hitting him in a bad ankle any worse than hitting him in sound leg trying to affect the bad ankle? If the intent is to aggravate an existing injury, what difference does it make HOW that's done? It's the end, not the means, that's the problem, even if the League Office (ostensibly) has trouble grasping that.

Everyone knows they study up on opponents injuries. If its a knee or ankle they attack a legal target that can potentially affect the injury. That hit on PFM was legal by the book but it was meant to affect the ankle.

I would if I could. If the League sincerely wants to reduce player injuries and protect their health, it would make far more sense to ban hitting opponents ANYWHERE with intent to injure than it does to make a laundry list of where it is and isn't OK to hit opponents with or without intent to injure. As noted in another thread, it's like saying,

"It's now illegal to shoot people in the face."

"Can I still shoot them other places, or stab them in the face?"

"It's now illegal to SHOOT people in the FACE."

Way to completely miss the point. :rolleyes:

If they're trying to screw with Matthews' bum ankle to make it worse it doesn't matter whether they hit him in the ankle, hip or forehead: It's still trying to win by injuring opponents. That's morally and ethically wrong even if the NFLs "improved safety" rules still allow it (as long as teams don't reward people for doing it.)

Yeah, it's a big integral part of the game; so are (other kinds of) ACL injuries, and the sport would be far better off without either. If decency's not reason enough, try practicality: I don't want our players to do anything to the bodies of opponents that I wouldn't want opponents to do to the bodies of our players. I was pissed when SD targeted Mannings taped ankles, and I'd be just as pissed if we tried to target Matthews' is. We're better than that, or should be; if we can't win clean, we don't deserve to win.

Joel
01-07-2014, 01:11 PM
I've long felt bad about defending Romanowski when he played for us. In MY defense, at the time I thought he was just nasty and disrespectful (which is all the spitting incident indicated to me.) Then I found out he was 'roid-raging throughout his career, deliberately and gleefully breaking opponents fingers when the refs couldn't see it, dislocating former teammate elbows and even ending CURRENT teammate careers by fracturing their eye socket with a punch in training camp.

No, that kind of animalistic behavior isn't uncommon in football, but it certainly should be. In that respect, I agree the pros offer valuable role models simply by making clear no one who's been playing that way since their Pop Warner days can make it into the pros. That's probably an unrealistic hope in the multibillion dollar NFL where winning's "the only thing," but heaven knows it needs to be done. Maybe it'll be worth the NFLs while after a few more lawsuits; I know we'd all love to see that. ;)

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 01:13 PM
I've long felt bad about defending Romanowski when he played for us. In MY defense, at the time I thought he was just nasty and disrespectful (which is all the spitting incident indicated to me.) Then I found out he was 'roid-raging throughout his career, deliberately and gleefully breaking opponents fingers when the refs couldn't see it, dislocating former teammate elbows and even ending CURRENT teammate careers by fracturing their eye socket with a punch in training camp.

No, that kind of animalistic behavior isn't uncommon in football, but it certainly should be. In that respect, I agree the pros offer valuable role models simply by making clear no one who's been playing that way since their Pop Warner days can make it into the pros. That's probably an unrealistic hope in the multibillion dollar NFL where winning's "the only thing," but heaven knows it needs to be done. Maybe it'll be worth the NFLs while after a few more lawsuits; I know we'd all love to see that. ;)

Romo was a roid raged psychotic pollack. I wouldn't wear his Jersey for any one of those 3 reasons.

GEM
01-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Going low is going low, and the whole point was to make him think about the injury, remember? Otherwise why does it matter WHERE we hit him? Targeting the injury to make him think about it means TARGETING the INJURY, by definition.

Hurt=/=harm. The subtle but CRITICAL difference is between pain and injury. At the risk of opening a huge (and tangential) can of worms, it's the difference between spanking children and beating children. While all competition inherently requires exploiting opponent vulnerabilities, few legal ones require injuring opponents. I doubt anyone ever needed a doctor after a chess match, and even in most athletics needing surgery after a baseball or basketball game is a sure sign someone did something very wrong, intentionally or not.

Semantics. Why is hitting him in a bad ankle any worse than hitting him in sound leg trying to affect the bad ankle? If the intent is to aggravate an existing injury, what difference does it make HOW that's done? It's the end, not the means, that's the problem, even if the League Office (ostensibly) has trouble grasping that.

I would if I could. If the League sincerely wants to reduce player injuries and protect their health, it would make far more sense to ban hitting opponents ANYWHERE with intent to injure than it does to make a laundry list of where it is and isn't OK to hit opponents with or without intent to injure. As noted in another thread, it's like saying,

"It's now illegal to shoot people in the face."

"Can I still shoot them other places, or stab them in the face?"

"It's now illegal to SHOOT people in the FACE."

Way to completely miss the point. :rolleyes:

If they're trying to screw with Matthews' bum ankle to make it worse it doesn't matter whether they hit him in the ankle, hip or forehead: It's still trying to win by injuring opponents. That's morally and ethically wrong even if the NFLs "improved safety" rules still allow it (as long as teams don't reward people for doing it.)

Yeah, it's a big integral part of the game; so are (other kinds of) ACL injuries, and the sport would be far better off without either. If decency's not reason enough, try practicality: I don't want our players to do anything to the bodies of opponents that I wouldn't want opponents to do to the bodies of our players. I was pissed when SD targeted Mannings taped ankles, and I'd be just as pissed if we tried to target Matthews' is. We're better than that, or should be; if we can't win clean, we don't deserve to win.

Jesus Christ....they could hit him in the ******* head and you'd take issue with it because it would affect his ankle. Let's leave the poor boy alone and he can run 200 yards on us. Then we lose and you can blame it on Manning like you've wanted to do all season.

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Jesus Christ....they could hit him in the ******* head and you'd take issue with it because it would affect his ankle. Let's leave the poor boy alone and he can run 200 yards on us. Then we lose and you can blame it on Manning like you've wanted to do all season.

you're not suppose to hit anyone in the head either Gem. youi need to be socialized or something

Dzone
01-07-2014, 01:30 PM
LOL.... ..Romanowski should be in the hall of fame

BroncoNut
01-07-2014, 01:32 PM
LOL.... ..Romanowski should be in the hall of fame

He was a Raider at one time.