PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos Are Just Fine Without Von Miller

BSN Denver
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
The Broncos lost Von Miller in week 16 to a torn ACL. Many fans question whether this is going to hurt and maybe ruin the Broncos Super Bowl run. There is one very simple reason why it won’t ruin their Super Bowl hopes, Peyton Manning.

The future Hall of Fame quarterback has already gotten them past huge road blocks this season. How about playing the first six games of the season without Miller? Or losing Pro Bowl left tackle Ryan Clady? Manning and the offense will continue to carry the defense in the playoffs like they did in the regular season.

The Broncos defense did not stand out any more than they did when Miller was suspended to start the season. Aside from the game when they allowed 48 points to Dallas, where Miller probably wouldn’t have made a ton of difference. The defense hasn’t been too different with or without the Pro Bowl outside linebacker.

The team in the seven games without Miller is averaging 24.5 points against them. In the nine games he played this season it’s only a two point difference for an average of 22.1 points per game. Same goes for yards allowed per game. With Miller this season they are averaging 332.8 yards allowed per game, without Miller it’s only ten yards more at 342.8 per game. Finally, when it comes down to turnovers, they are averaging 1.5 forced turnovers per game without him, and 1.6 with him.

It’s very clear that most games this year the Broncos defense has been nothing special, and will likely only be average in the playoffs. They have shined at moments and forced some very crucial turnovers, but as a whole they have been mediocre. Even with a stud player like Von Miller it hasn’t been...CONTINUE READING... (http://www.brandonspano.com/headlines.html?entry=the-broncos-are-just-fine)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Spin it how you want, he makes a difference.

We can still win it all without him, but any Broncos fan that says our chances are just as good without him may have an oxygen deficiency in their brain.

TXBRONC
01-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Spin it how you want, he makes a difference.

We can still win it all without him, but any Broncos fan that says our chances are just as good without him may have an oxygen deficiency in their brain.

My thoughts exactly. Yes it's possible to win without Von but Denver is still a better defense with him than without him.

Northman
01-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Yes, we can still win it without him. But you can say that about any player on this team.

Ziggy
01-03-2014, 06:55 PM
The Broncos defense did not stand out any more than they did when Miller was suspended to start the season. Aside from the game when they allowed 48 points to Dallas, where Miller probably wouldn’t have made a ton of difference. The defense hasn’t been too different with or without the Pro Bowl outside linebacker.

Yeah, and the fact that 17% of the games we played without Von were playoff teams, and 60% of our games with Von were against playoff teams has nothing to do with it right? Another gem by the Brandon Spam-O Network.

BroncoWave
01-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Yes, we can still win it without him. But you can say that about any player on this team.

I dunno, I think without Manning our chances would drop to absolute zero. Unless every other starting QB got injured too. :lol:

Northman
01-03-2014, 07:00 PM
I dunno, I think without Manning our chances would drop to absolute zero. Unless every other starting QB got injured too. :lol:

You never know, Oz could be the next Brady......... *snicker*

Broncolingus
01-03-2014, 07:04 PM
The Broncos Are Just Fine Without Von Miller

No...

TXBRONC
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Yeah, and the fact that 17% of the games we played without Von were playoff teams, and 60% of our games with Von were against playoff teams has nothing to do with it right? Another gem by the Brandon Spam-O Network.

Don't be to hard on them Ziggy. It is true enough that Denver can win the Super Bowl without Miller but the fact is he's impact player and Denver is much more dangerous defense with him than without him.

BroncoWave
01-03-2014, 07:07 PM
No...

I mean, it is true in a sense. We are still fine without him in that we are still the best team in the AFC and a Super Bowl favorite. Now we would be MORE fine with him, but we are still fine without him.

Broncolingus
01-03-2014, 07:11 PM
I mean, it is true in a sense. We are still fine without him in that we are still the best team in the AFC and a Super Bowl favorite. Now we would be MORE fine with him, but we are still fine without him.

I got ya, brother...;)

WARHORSE
01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
We know Von is a difference maker when healthy.

But what good has he been this year?

The NUMBER one issue with Von to me is whether he does something to incur a year long suspension. That in a nutshell would be DEVASTATING. Hes a number 2 overall pick and having him on a yearlong suspension would be a signal that you drafted a dud.

An unbelievably talented dud.....but a dud nonetheless. Think along the lines of a very large quarterback who donned the silver and black and was drafted number one. (Hint: His first name rhymes with Bama-rcus)

I dont believe this is the type of player Von is (Jamarcus), but how do you calibrate your investment going forward on a player like this?

Its a scary proposition.

Does anyone think trading Von in the offseason is a possibility?

I think it is, although I would hate to lose that talent. Not saying it will happen. I love Vons ability. I hate that hes a small mistake away from a year long vacation.

Unbelievable talent.

Unbelievable risk.

MOtorboat
01-03-2014, 07:24 PM
:sigh:

vettesplus
01-03-2014, 08:11 PM

???pfm???

DenBronx
01-04-2014, 07:34 AM
I like Brandons articles....he isnt a Bronco fan and gives unbiased opinions. He also was pretty much guaranteeing Manning was going to be a Bronco back in 2012.

Losing Miller sucks....but thats not an excuse to not make it to the SB.

honz
01-04-2014, 09:52 AM
You never know, Oz could be the next Brady......... *snicker*

Why would we want a douche with illegitimate children as our next QB?

Ravage!!!
01-04-2014, 11:56 AM
I agree, we are fine without Von as a whole...but its not JUST Von. It's Von on top of Clady, on top of our Center(?), and Koppen, and Vickerson, and Moore, and Carter, and Wolfe, and Bailey.... and and and.

Ravage!!!
01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Why would we want a douche with illegitimate children as our next QB?

if he plays like Brady... I do. :wave:

Nomad
01-04-2014, 12:09 PM
I agree, we are fine without Von as a whole...but its not JUST Von. It's Von on top of Clady, on top of our Center(?), and Koppen, and Vickerson, and Moore, and Carter, and Wolfe, and Bailey.... and and and.

It's the 13-3 curse:lol::(

SM19
01-04-2014, 12:22 PM
The numbers given by the OP aren't defense-adjusted. I don't have the full-season breakdown, but through 15 games Denver had a DVOA of -8.5% (negative numbers are better than average) with Miller and a 15.4% DVOA without him. That's substantial, and exactly what you'd expect when you take away one of the best defensive players in the league.